As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Bow down before the God of [Chat]

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    More than anything it just seems to be oddly jumping the gun. Frostwyrms already? With icecrown citadel so far away?

I guess they want them in early so in subsequent arena seasons they can get more and more hideous looking armour on them like they did with the netherdrakes in TBC.

-SPI- on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm still "Wtf?"ing about Gladiator Netherdrakes. I don't get why the best mounts in the entire game are rewarded from a clearly unbalanced side-game - one that outright excludes you from the rewards if you didn't a) roll the right class or b) are as skilled and as organized with your team as a Spartan regiment.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Because in BC there was no real way to differentiate between raiders. They obviously wanted the gladiator drakes to be the exclusive province of the top five percent or whatever, but there was no way to have equivalent drakes for pve at that time.

Now, there is!

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    I'm still "Wtf?"ing about Gladiator Netherdrakes. I don't get why the best mounts in the entire game are rewarded from a clearly unbalanced side-game - one that outright excludes you from the rewards if you didn't a) roll the right class or b) are as skilled and as organized with your team as a Spartan regiment.

Speaking of which, has anybody mentioned the arena ranking list that just came out?

7 out of the top 10 US teams are Dark Knight/Paladin/Warlock. For EU, 5 teams are Dark Knight/Paladin/Hunter.

They even made a hilarious graph out of it.

tournamentus.jpg

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought the most interesting thing about that graph is the disparity between the NA and the european distributions. Maybe it's just that the best RMP teams are european, but the class balance was a lot more even (and there were a lot more hunters.)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What's the new PvP content in WoTLK?
    Is it worth to go back to WoW for PvP?

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I get tired of talking about PvP because people will pull up graphs like that and then argue points with it as if that data matters.

Opty on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    Every class was capable of Gladiator in previous seasons. Stop sucking or complaining. Pick one.

Right now PvE has three ways of obtaining a 310% mount. One doesn't even require raiding.

And some of you can knock off the circle logic jerk.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I thought the most interesting thing about that graph is the disparity between the NA and the european distributions. Maybe it's just that the best RMP teams are european, but the class balance was a lot more even (and there were a lot more hunters.)

Yeah I thought that was funny too. Are Europeans better (or worse) PVPers or something? :P

riz on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eh, well I was just thinking about the fact that there have been a total of 2 new battlegrounds introduced since vanilla WoW.

How many new instance dungeons have been introduced? 20? 30? 50?

What about unique mounts... How many mounts are available exclusively for PvP (that aren't just recolors of existing mounts)?

Armoured Netherdrakes? The face that outside of raiding, and low drop rates, you can only get 310% mounts from being a Glad.

Isn't the reward for "What a Long Strange Trip It's Been" a 310% mount? In TBC it was a little off, but in WotLK there's multiple ways to get 310% mounts from each portion of the game, solo pve, raiding, and arena. Based on both the gladiator distribution and the current distribution via raiding it seems Blizzards intent is to keep 310% mounts relatively rare and as a reward for higher end players.

Also the gladiator drakes weren't ever the best mounts in the game, though the others were rare raid drops, unless your talking aesthetics in which case there will always be some people complaining.

From what I've seen both the European and Korean teams stomp the American teams when they go head to head.

khain on
    edited March 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    Strands is pretty cool. New BG with some vehicle action.

Wintergrasp might be cool. I dunno since at some point early on your game is likely to develop terrible lag that doubles cast times and makes like hellish for melee. The overall design of it, as a world PvP zone, is also lacking. I think WoW and WAR need to stop centralizing point capture to one object. Creates an unhappy clusterfuck.

That's it for content besides two new arenas. One sucks dick and one is alright I guess. Yes, your PvP content for the next two years is another BG and a broken zone. I can't say that alone determines the value of WoW Pvp, as changing talents and new spells offer a whole new dynamic for play. I think Blizzard is offering Wrath trials, so you might want to give that a spin (but kinda futile as ten days ain't near enough time to hit 80 and farm enough resilience).

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Dis wrote: »
    Strands is pretty cool. New BG with some vehicle action.

Wintergrasp might be cool. I dunno since at some point early on your game is likely to develop terrible lag that doubles cast times and makes like hellish for melee. The overall design of it, as a world PvP zone, is also lacking. I think WoW and WAR need to stop centralizing point capture to one object. Creates an unhappy clusterfuck.

That's it for content besides two new arenas. One sucks dick and one is alright I guess. Yes, your PvP content for the next two years is another BG and a broken zone. I can't say that alone determines the value of WoW Pvp, as changing talents and new spells offer a whole new dynamic for play. I think Blizzard is offering Wrath trials, so you might want to give that a spin (but kinda futile as ten days ain't near enough time to hit 80 and farm enough resilience).

I already tried that trial months ago but it's useless.
    It won't let me get to lv 71 and thus I can't even try the new BG.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Hahaha, what a crock of shit.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Opty wrote: »
    I get tired of talking about PvP because people will pull up graphs like that and then argue points with it as if that data matters.

This.

Honestly, the PVP is more balanced then most. I think of it like a fighting game, there are good match ups and bad match ups, but I think over all the matches with just about any group are winnable if they know what to do.

and on the whole "best mount in the game to pvp arena dudes" I'm fine with that. the 310 mount only goes out to a hand full of people across the battle group. Your not going to run in to 100 people on your server with it. They didn't just sit in a BG getting AFK honor to buy the best mount in the game. Theres still time, skill, effort, and dedication required to get even a chance at getting it.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait, since when are T8 set bonuses out? Today?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just tonight actually.

I hope they do something with the Priest set bonus. It's definitely better than the tier 7 was, but 15 extra essentially constant (if you're disc) spellpower as the 4 piece bonus? Boring as hell. I'd rather have the mage trinket-like 2 piece bonus, even if it theorycrafts to being the same as 15 spellpower. It's more interesting. The two-piece bonus is nice though.

There are some bonuses which are just insane though. I'm not a druid but the 4 piece bonus for that seems to be nuts. The sort of thing you'd see in a lower tier talent.

Cilla Black on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    All of the Druid 4P are pretty awesome, but I assume you mean the Resto 4P which mimics the Holy Priest talent for Renew.

Opty on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Whoops, I actually meant the moonkin set.

Cilla Black on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just got exalted with the Argent Dawn. Still no mount :(

Rizzi on
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can someone post the set bonuses for us stuck at work?

Scroffus on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sure.
    Death Knight

* Death Knight T8 Melee 2P Bonus -- Increases the critical strike chance of Death Coil and Frost Strike by 5%.
    * Death Knight T8 Melee 4P Bonus -- Increases the bonus damage done per disease by 20% on Blood Strike, Heart Strike, Obliterate, and Scourge Strike.
    * Death Knight T8 Tank 2P Bonus -- Increases the damage done by Rune Strike by 10%.
    * Death Knight T8 Tank 4P Bonus -- Anti-magic shell also grants you 10% reduction to physical damage taken.

Druid

* Druid T8 Balance 2P Bonus -- Increases the bonus granted by Eclipse for Starfire and Wrath by 6%.
    * Druid T8 Balance 4P Bonus -- Each time your Insect Swarm deals damage, it has a chance to make your next Starfire cast within 10 sec instant.
    * Druid T8 Feral 2P Bonus -- The periodic damage dealt by your Rake, Rip, and Lacerate abilites has a chance to cause you to enter a Clearcasting state.
    * Druid T8 Feral 4P Bonus -- Increases the duration of Savage Roar and Survival Instinct by 8 sec.
    * Druid T8 Restoration 2P Bonus -- Increases the healing done by your Swiftmend spell by 10%.
    * Druid T8 Restoration 4P Bonus -- Your Rejuvenation spell also instantly heals your target for its periodic healing amount.

Hunter

* Hunter T8 2P Bonus -- Increases the damage done by your Serpent Sting by 10%.
    * Hunter T8 4P Bonus -- Your Steady Shot has a chance to grant you 600 attack power for 15 sec.

Mage

* Mage T8 2P Bonus -- Your Arcane Blast, Frostbolt, Frostfire Bolt, and Fireball spells have a chance to grant you 350 spell power for 15 sec.
    * Mage T8 4P Bonus -- You have a chance for the effect of your Missile Barrage, Hot Streak, or Brain Freeze talent not to be consumed when you cast the spells which benefit.

Paladin

* Paladin T8 Retribution 2P Bonus -- Increases the damage done by your Exorcism and Hammer of Wrath abilities by 10%.
    * Paladin T8 Retribution 4P Bonus -- Increases the critical strike chance of your Divine Storm and Crusader Strike abilities by 10%.
    * Paladin T8 Protection 2P Bonus -- Increases the damage done by your Seals by 10%.
    * Paladin T8 Protection 4P Bonus -- Shield of Righteousness now increases your shield block value by 225 for 3 sec.
    * Paladin T8 Holy 2P Bonus -- Your Holy Shock critical heals now also place a periodic healing effect on the target, healing for 15% of the Holy Shock's heal amount over 9 sec.
    * Paladin T8 Holy 4P Bonus -- Increases the damage absorbed by your Sacred Shield by 10%.

Priest

* Priest T8 Shadow 2P Bonus -- Increases the damage done by your Devouring Plague by 15%.
    * Priest T8 Shadow 4P Bonus -- Your Mind Blast also grants you 15 haste rating for until cancelled.
    * Priest T8 Healer 2P Bonus -- Increases the critical heal chance of your Prayer of Healing by 10%.
    * Priest T8 Healer 4P Bonus -- Casting Power Word: Shield also grants you 15 spell power for until cancelled.

Rogue

* Rogue T8 2P Bonus -- Your Deadly Poison causes you to gain 1 energy each time it deals damage.
    * Rogue T8 4P Bonus -- The damage dealt by your Rupture can now be critical strikes.

Shaman

* Shaman T8 Enhancement 2P Bonus -- Increases the damage done by Lava Lash and Stormstrike by 20%. (0 yd, cast: 0 seconds, val1: 20)
    * Shaman T8 Enhancement 4P Bonus -- Increases the frequency of Maelstrom Weapon being triggered by your melee weapon attacks by 20%.
    * Shaman T8 Restoration 2P Bonus -- Reduces the cooldown on Riptide by 1 sec.
    * Shaman T8 Restoration 4P Bonus -- Reduces the cast time of Chain Heal by 0.2 sec.
    * Shaman T8 Elemental 2P Bonus -- The periodic damage dealt by your Flame Shock can now be critical strikes.
    * Shaman T8 Elemental 4P Bonus -- Your critical Strikes from Lightning Bolt cause the target to take nature damage equal to 8% of the Lightning Bolt's damage over until cancelled sec.

Warlock

* Warlock T8 2P Bonus -- Increases the damage done by your Unstable Affliction and Immolate spells by 20%.
    * Warlock T8 4P Bonus -- Increases the critical strike chance of your Shadow Bolt and Incinerate spells by 5%.

Warrior

* Warrior T8 Protection 2P Bonus -- Increases the critical strike chance of your Devastate ability by 10%.
    * Warrior T8 Protection 4P Bonus -- Shield Block also grants you 20% reduction to magical damage taken.
    * Warrior T8 Melee 2P Bonus -- Heroic Strike and Slam critical strikes have a chance to grant you 150% haste rating for 5 sec.
    * Warrior T8 Melee 4P Bonus -- Increases the critical strike chance of Mortal Strike and Bloodthirst by 10%.

reVerse on
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanks. They are quite crazy (well, apart from priest... which is the only class I'll probably ever see these on >_>)

Scroffus on
  • DarkstrykeDarkstryke Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Damn man, hot steak not being consumed? That's like, 4 pyroblasts.

Darkstryke on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Where's a good spot to farm thorium? I need to get my paladin's blacksmithing from 275 and the only things that will level me are thorium and arcanite stuff.
    And thorium is uber expensive.

Rizzi on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lol@ the warrior 2p bonus for tanking - 10% more crit to our lowest damage, lowest priority tanking ability. SWEET!

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Where's a good spot to farm thorium? I need to get my paladin's blacksmithing from 275 and the only things that will level me are thorium and arcanite stuff.

Plaguelands is pretty much the go-to spot. I've also heard people say Un'goro, but I have never had any luck there, but it might be better now given the general emptiness of old world zones. If you can handle the silithid, you might also try Silithus and the ooze covered thorium in the various caves.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »

What level's the paladin? Because when I need to farm thorium I do circuits of winterspring, but I wouldn't suggest my route if you are under 70.

My circuit is:

SW from Everlook to the frozen lake, do a full circuit
    Mazthoril (blue dragon cave)
    Frostwhisper Gorge (with all the elite giants)
    Darkwhisper Gorge (with all the elite demons)
    The caves just off the main road with all of the owlkin
    The yeti cave
    The furbolg village NE of everlook

Then loop back around to the lake.

Nobody on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Silithus is really awesome now that the bugs underground are non-elite.

815165 on
    edited March 2009
    It's really hard to beat the gorge in southern winterspring; there's a lot of nodes there. EPL is decent, but it's a lot of running. Silithus is pretty decent, also.

What I would do, since you're probably not the only one farming thorium at a given time, is do a /who for silithus and winterspring, and decide based on what levels the people in the zones are.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Based on happenings in the profession thread, I propose a new rule:

Whensoever, in arguing about an MMO, a poster makes any form of real-world analogy, that poster has lost the argument.

Someone come up with a name for it.

How about, "your wrong."

frylocked on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow. That 4pc Ret bonus is pretty nuts.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Darkstryke wrote: »
    Damn man, hot steak not being consumed? That's like, 4 pyroblasts.

This made me lol

I always get mad when I don't get to consume my hot steak

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DarkstrykeDarkstryke Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Whoops. Looking back on that now, that is the best possible typo for the situation.

Darkstryke on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Opty wrote: »
    All of the Druid 4P are pretty awesome, but I assume you mean the Resto 4P which mimics the Holy Priest talent for Renew.

Yeah it seems a bit much, priests get a new talent to do this, druids get it for free? And I'm underwhelmed by the 2piece as well. It just seems like "here have some more overhealing"...

riz on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So yeah I'm having a good time with my Paladin over the Warlock I made. Warlocks have to keep using lifetap or have downtime. I don't like either of those options :P

urahonky on
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    So yeah I'm having a good time with my Paladin over the Warlock I made. Warlocks have to keep using lifetap or have downtime. I don't like either of those options :P

Maybe it's been nerfed but if you spec affliction between the siphon life dot, drain life, lifetap, and dark pact you have infinite mana and if the mobs are fearable you can dot them all up aoe fear and just dot and fear any adds the feared mobs bring back.

I've never leveled a paladin but leveling a warlock I felt almost disgustingly OP most of the time. I hear prot pallies can aoe grind very well also but it sounded kinda boring compared to doing it as a mage or warlock.

Dman on
    edited March 2009
    Well I only made it to 14 with my lock. I'm not nearly hardcore enough to make it above that yet. :P

But yeah once I get to higher levels it won't be so bad, I just hate the low levels as a 'lock. As a pally I hardly, if ever, need to heal now that judgement of light gives me heals per hit.

urahonky on
  • ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    frylocked wrote: »
    Based on happenings in the profession thread, I propose a new rule:

Whensoever, in arguing about an MMO, a poster makes any form of real-world analogy, that poster has lost the argument.

Someone come up with a name for it.

How about, "your wrong."

I was thinking "You're wrong."

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
    edited March 2009
    He might actually own that wrong, you can't be too sure about that.

urahonky on
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If I had the inclination I'd photoshop up a pic of Kevin Spacey from Superman Returns when he screams " WRONG!". As it is I just can't be bothered(that and photoshop is on the other computer which I dismantled).

Poketpixie on
This discussion has been closed.