As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Has the Wii bubble burst?

• Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Brym wrote: »
    I'm using this thread as an excuse to go on a rant.

I hate my fucking Wii. The library is so shitty that I haven't touched it in 9 months. Beyond that, every game that's on the Wii is good despite the fact that it's on the Wii. Imagine Smash Bros. with XBL support. Wii Sports with leaderboards. Super Mario Galaxy with DLC maps. Metroid Prime 3 with HD graphics. Fuck the Wii for making me play shittier versions of these games than would have existed if Nintendo went multiplatform.

Prime 3 would be not as awesome with a gamepad. Wii Sports would be shitty with a gamepad. I'd argue that the 360/PS3 would make both of these games shitty versions compared to their Wii iterations.

Why don't you just sell your Wii? You could probably break even on it.

Also, why haven't you touched it in 9 months? Good shit has come out. Most recently MadWorld. Probably because you don't want to play it for some psychological reason. Perhaps you do not want to play good games on it to justify not using it, in a strange circular logic kind of way.
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    What everyone here wants to know is: is it gathering dust?

Of course it is! The real question is: How many inches of dust has it gathered!?

I'm assuming that Nintendo would release a wii-remote type device as a peripheral. I already have a specialized racing wheel, drum controller, microphone, guitar, dance pad, and arcade stick. Innovative controllers can be multiplatform.

As for Metroid Prime, it would have been just as good with a controller. Remember Metroid Primes 1&2??

I'd sell my Wii if my wife would let me. She doesn't play it either, but for some reason gets mad when I suggest it.

Name me something other than Madworld in the last 9 months. As for Madworld itself, it got mediocre reviews from people I trust.

Brym on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Primes 1+2 were unplayable to me, as are anything where you have to aim a reticule while moving.

I cant stand dual stick for shooters.

I actually played Odin Sphere with an arcade stick because I'm not even a big fan of analog.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you haven't touched your Wii in nine months, that's your own damn fault, not the Wii's. Maybe pay attention to what's coming out once in a while.

People say the Wii has no games. Guess the 40+ Wii games on my shelf are figments of my imagination. And that's not even counting downloadable stuff.
    Fuck List Wars, look things up for yourself.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm assuming that Nintendo would release a wii-remote type device as a peripheral. I already have a specialized racing wheel, drum controller, microphone, guitar, dance pad, and arcade stick. Innovative controllers can be multiplatform.

As for Metroid Prime, it would have been just as good with a controller. Remember Metroid Primes 1&2??

I'd sell my Wii if my wife would let me. She doesn't play it either, but for some reason gets mad when I suggest it.

Name me something other than Madworld in the last 9 months. As for Madworld itself, it got mediocre reviews from people I trust.

House of the Dead.
    Also, the people you trust are wrong.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I hate my fucking Wii. The library is so shitty that I haven't touched it in 9 months. Beyond that, every game that's on the Wii is good despite the fact that it's on the Wii. Imagine Smash Bros. with XBL support. Wii Sports with leaderboards. Super Mario Galaxy with DLC maps. Metroid Prime 3 with HD graphics. Fuck the Wii for making me play shittier versions of these games than would have existed if Nintendo went multiplatform.

Prime 3 would be not as awesome with a gamepad. Wii Sports would be shitty with a gamepad. I'd argue that the 360/PS3 would make both of these games shitty versions compared to their Wii iterations.

Also, why haven't you touched it in 9 months? Good shit has come out. Most recently MadWorld. Probably because you don't want to play it for some psychological reason. Perhaps you do not want to play good games on it to justify not using it, in a strange circular logic kind of way.

Of course it is! The real question is: How many inches of dust has it gathered!?

House of the Dead.
    Also, the people you trust are wrong.

If a light gun shooter is the best you can come up with, I think I proved my point.

Brym on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Most third party periphs fade quickly into obscurity. Also, MS has been a horrible stickler about third party controllers on their system, especially when it comes to wireless.

I said better. Prime 3 controls are superior to prior iterations. You said you didn't like these theoretical inferior versions of these games.

I won't play List Warz. But if you'd like I can PM you.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

If a light gun shooter is the best you can come up with, I think I proved my point.

Yeah, no. And I won't be baited into list wars either.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• Options
    edited March 2009
    I have no idea what List Warz are supposed to be.

Me: Name a game worth playing in the last 9 months. 90+ metacritic would qualify.

You: I'm taking my ball and going home! You don't play fair!

Brym on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

World of Goo, De Blob, Sam and Max Season 1 and House of the Dead: Overkill?

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

In a twist of ironic fate I'm seriously considering selling my 360 for a DSi.

The only thing holding me back is the massive amount of Live Arcade stuff I've bought for the thing.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    AJR wrote: »

Fuck man, only one of those has 90+ in Metacritics! The others, like, totally suck!

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• Options
    edited March 2009

The first 3 are not in the last nine months. The last is a lightgun game.

Brym on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Ultimate Shooting Collection, and it's got a 67%!

(Granted, only two reviews exist for it)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yes they are. But you're right, let's ignore certain genres for the sake of making our individual points.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

DeBlob: 82
    Sam & Max: 74
    HotD : 79

now world of goo (94) is just about the only wiigame of recent months that i completely adore. everyone i told about it loved it likewise, its definately classic material. however, its also all there is.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yes they are. But you're right, let's ignore certain genres for the sake of making our individual points.

HoTD also doesn't score 90+. So you can look at it "objectively" if you want.

I'll agree, world of goo is great. But again, not in the last 9 months (and I happened to get it on PC).

Brym on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I'll agree, world of goo is great. But again, not in the last 9 months (and I happened to get it on PC).

Metacritics scores aren't objective or even "objective". And WoG was released in the last 9 months.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Personally as an owner of both a 360 and Wii I have no interest in playing traditional genres on the Wii. Unless it does something really great with the controller I would rather play it on the 360. What I want to see on the Wii is really original games that are made more fun by motion controls, along with more niche/artsy games that are too risky on the higher development cost and lower user base systems. I want to see more games like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3n4XsMs8q0

Zek on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't go by metacritic, I go by word of mouth. The latter's reliable, the former isn't.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I don't go by metacritic, I go by word of mouth. The latter's reliable, the former isn't.

word of mouth says the wii is dying ;) so its decided then i guess.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Going by metascores/gamerankings is silly and arbitrary. Other people don't dictate to me what I enjoy, and I pity you if you let other people - no, less than that, - other people's arbitrary "scores" dictate what you decide is enjoyable or not.

Turn down a game because of what something states and the reasoning resonates with you. Not because someone "gave it" a "93%" or a "55%" or whatever. Sad.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Metacritics scores aren't objective or even "objective". And WoG was released in the last 9 months.

Huh, you're right. I remembered it coming out earlier. So World of Goo is the exception... but again, I played it on PC. So you can't fault me for not touching my Wii in 9 months, which is the point.

Also, we have to use something for the question of whether or not a game is worth my time. And I feel pretty comfortable ignoring a game with a 79 metacritic.

Brym on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The wii exists for Brawl for me.

I'm lucky I'm one of those that enjoyed Brawl, I can't imagine how disappointed some must have been.

Pretty much the reason I keep it around. :(

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, sometimes you can't go by either. I love Samurai Western, for example, and neither critics nor gamers in general seem very fond of that game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't have a 360 because I play most of those games on my PC. I would regret getting a 360 thanks to my PC. Unless you can recommend a good 360 game from the last 9 months that I can't get on my PC, that has a 90+ rating on Metacritic, and is something that my "friends" tell me is worth it.

Not a winning bet.

GTA? Pc. Braid? PC. Fallout3? Don't like Western RPGs. Rock Band 2? Moot/all consoles. Left4Dead? PC. SFIV? I'll get on PC. And that's it for games scoring ~90% or above from 2008 and 09.

Good thing I don't have a 360 or else I'd be like Brym and his Wii. No good games for 9 months that I can't get on my PC and/or that friends recommend.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

What? They were all released in the last nine months. That’s why I chose them.
    carmofin wrote: »
    numberz

Shit dude, are you actually bringing metacritic into this? Like, that's what you go off to find games you like?

I find that kind of depressing.

AJR on
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bubble burst? Shit, I just bought Wii Fit about a month ago and we're going strong. I'm actually thinking of playing through Ultimate Alliance again too just for the hell of it. The one thing I have noticed is as of about the same time I got Wii Fit, I'm starting to see the Wii on shelves reliably.

Only thing I've been eyeing is the 360 for SFIV. Man I want to play that game. Someone also mentioned the DSi, that thing isn't appealing to me at all.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited March 2009

What? They were all released in the last nine months. That’s why I chose them.
    numberz

Shit dude, are you actually bringing metacritic into this? Like, that's what you go off to find games you like?

I find that kind of depressing.

someone didnt read the question he answered aparantly.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't have a 360 because I play most of those games on my PC. I would regret getting a 360 thanks to my PC. Unless you can recommend a good 360 game from the last 9 months that I can't get on my PC, that has a 90+ rating on Metacritic, and is something that my "friends" tell me is worth it.

Not a winning bet.

GTA? Pc. Braid? PC. Fallout3? Don't like Western RPGs. Rock Band 2? Moot/all consoles. Left4Dead? PC. And that's it for games scoring ~90% or above.

Gears 2. But hey, you like the PC, more power to you. I like it too. This isn't a console war. I'm just saying I wish the Wii didn't suck so much ass.

And to be clear, I would love for another game of the quality of SMG or Metroid Prime 3 to come out on the Wii. I would love a Wii game to come out that had decent online play and didn't use friend codes. But that doesn't seem to be happening.

Brym on
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    All though my work at a retail store has been slow of late, we revieved a shipment of Wii's a couple of weeks ago, and we have signs all over the store stating as much, but no one is buying them, the Wii fits vanished after a week or so. Not sure if this is a burst bubble or not, but its the longest I have seen a shipment of Wii's last.

As for myself, I have a Wii and a PS3 and rarely turn on my Wii anymore, I mainly stick with the PS3 for the most part. Waggle and not so great graphics lost its appeal after a few months. There a few games coming out for the Wii I am excited for, but for more for the PS3.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does homebrew count? There's some pretty good stuff on that front.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Muramasa's probably this year's best hope for the Wii after Madworld.

Vanillaware keep proving 2D isn't dead.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dantree wrote: »
    All though my work at a retail store has been slow of late, we revieved a shipment of Wii's a couple of weeks ago, and we have signs all over the store stating as much, but no one is buying them, the Wii fits vanished after a week or so. Not sure if this is a burst bubble or not, but its the longest I have seen a shipment of Wii's last.

Economy drop, high unemployment rate, general inability of people to drop $$ on a gaming console now?

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't stand my Wii, but my family loves it. I chose to leave it home, while I brought my 360 to college.

There's just not enough of what I like. I don't really believe it's been as innovative or new as some seem to think. They've replaced button mashing with waggling. I mean, that's fun, but few developers seem to want to release anything serious on the system. When they do, it's usually worth a look, but otherwise it's crap, plain and simple. I knew I was done when Nintendo started remaking Gamecube games.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Staxeon wrote: »

Economy drop, high unemployment rate, general inability of people to drop $$ on a gaming console now?

visit the link in the original post, in japan (of all places) the ps3 is outranking the wii easily for the first time ever.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Not a winning bet.

GTA? Pc. Braid? PC. Fallout3? Don't like Western RPGs. Rock Band 2? Moot/all consoles. Left4Dead? PC. And that's it for games scoring ~90% or above.

Gears 2. But hey, you like the PC, more power to you. I like it too. This isn't a console war. I'm just saying I wish the Wii didn't suck so much ass.

And to be clear, I would love for another game of the quality of SMG or Metroid Prime 3 to come out on the Wii. I would love a Wii game to come out that had decent online play and didn't use friend codes. But that doesn't seem to be happening.

I'm kidding with you. I love the 360 and its library, although it's true I do not feel the need for one. It's a great ssytem. I can see that. Without necessitating a listwarz that requires 90+ ratings and other arbitrary criteria.

slash000 on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There will be at least one more Zelda game for Wii- maybe another Pokémon game in the X D or Colosseum style. But Nintendo's main focus now is launching Pokémon Platinum. After that, we'll see what's announced. Nintendo will have something cool for Christmas. They always seem to.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, what's with people standing on review scores as objective? Do they somehow like objectively?

Is that even possible?

As an aside: Slash000 is the shady arms company that publicly denounces the List Warz while making a tight profit selling Lists of Mass Destruction on the black market.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    someone didnt read the question he answered aparantly.

No, I’m just saying I avoided citing metacritic for a reason. I’m just disappointed someone other than brym bought it up.

AJR on
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Staxeon wrote: »

visit the link in the original post, in japan (of all places) the ps3 is outranking the wii easily for the first time ever.

Nope, the PS3 outsold the Wii for 2 consecutive weeks upon the release of MGS4. After 2 weeks it went back down to selling less than the Wii.

All PS3 hardware jumps (and 360 jumps) are directly attributable to hot games coming out that week or the weeks preceding. The 360 outsold the PS3 for 6 straight weeks ina row.

That's not a sign of a systems' decline in sales, nor is it a sign that the system is going to maintain those sales. It's a sign that a hot game came out and a few fence sitters bought the system.

Resi5 just came out. That explains the PS3's boost this past week past the Wii. At no other time has this happened besides the 2-week bit of MGS4's release. It may happen for another week or two but not likely to happen past a single month.

slash000 on
This discussion has been closed.