As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll (Hotels are booked!)

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
PAX Hotels are LIVE!
Book yours now at the PAX Travel Desk. Here are the details of the hotels, discuss and all that. The old Hotel discussion thread was lacking, so here's one with more zazz.

Crowne Plaza Seattle
1113 Sixth Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
Lowest average rate: $ 153.00
CPHotel_Exterior220070711.jpg
2.50 Blocks to Event Location
34 story modern hotel with 415 rooms, 29 suites. Guest room amenities include: AM/FM Radio Alarm Clock, All News Cable Channel, Cable TV, Coffee Maker, Color TV, Dataport on Phone, Hairdryer, Internet Access, Iron/Ironing Board, In Room Movies, Modem Connection, Free Morning Newspaper Delivered to Room, All Guest Rooms Air Conditioned, Remote Control TV, Tea Maker, Voice Mail, Work Desk w/ Lamp. Hotel has one full service restaurant, one lounge, and a complimenty healthclub.

Grand Hyatt Seattle
721 Pine Street
Seattle, WA 98101
Lowest average rate: $ 169.00
G_Hyatt_Seattle_Ext_main.jpg
1.00 Blocks to Event Location
Discover downtown Seattle accommodations with inspiring views of the city, featuring Puget Sound, Lake Union and the surrounding mountains. Rise to meet the day with a complimentary morning newspaper and in-room coffeemaker. Stay in touch with wireless Internet access and business support. A sleek modern design adorns these spacious downtown Seattle Washington accommodations. Delight in a four-fixture bathroom with soaking tub and a separate glass-enclosed shower, deluxe amenities and plush robes for your comfort. Enjoy the use of three or more dual line cordless speakerphones with voicemail, an in-room safe for your laptop, iHome stereo with iPod dock, electronic blackout drapes and a doorbell. Relax upon two double Hyatt Grand Beds™, fitted with luxurious linens, thick down blankets, plush pillows – piled atop an irresistible pillow top mattress.

Hilton Seattle
1301 6th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
Hilton_Seattle_Ext_main.jpg
Full service hotel with exercise room, underground connection to Convention Center. All rooms include mini bar, hair dryers, coffee maker, iron & borad, free HBO, pay-per view movies. USA today delivered M-F, voice mail, high speed internet access, restaurant, lounge and 24 hour room service

Homewood Suites Convention Center

1011 Pike Street
Seattle, WA 98101
024306A.jpg
Formerly the Summerfield Suites, this all suite hotel formerly an apartment building converted into suite hotel by Wyndham in 1999. All suites include full kitchen with refrigerator and icemaker, oven, cook top, toaster, dishes and flatware, pots and pans, coffeemaker with complimentary coffee, alarm clock and radio, hair dryer, iron & board, large workspace 2 phone lines with voicemail and data port connections, color TV with cable and LodgeNet Movie Service. Complimentary breakfast buffet, same day dry cleaning

Hotel Max Seattle (Formerly the Vance Hotel)

620 STEWART STREET
SEATTLE, WA 98101
Lowest average rate: $ 160.00
Hotel_Max_Ext_main.jpg
5.00 Blocks to Event Location
The historical Vance Hotel which opened in the beginning of the 20th century was well-known as a landmark with its neon-lit sign “Vance Hotel” clearly seen in the city’s landscape. In 2005, the Vance Hotel was transformed into the Hotel Max introducing Seattle to an experience of art and luxury combined. The Hotel Max showcases 39 local Seattle artists and photographers, along with nationally known artists. In addition to the beautiful artwork, our downtown Seattle hotel is near a variety of Seattle attractions. Don’t forget to visit the Seattle shopping centers and boutiques located within walking distance. Seattle restaurants are also generating quite a buzz. Check out our very own restaurant, Red Fin, or venture out on your own to the other delectable eateries.

Hyatt at Olive 8

1635 8th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
Olive8_Ext_main.jpg
3.00 Blocks to Event Location
The Hyatt at Olive 8—an integral part of Seattle’s landmark architecture, offering an ideal location in the heart of the city’s shopping, dining and entertainment neighborhood. Expected to be the city's first LEED certified hotel, Hyatt at Olive 8 offers a new echelon in sustainability for the Northwest

Paramount Hotel
724 Pine Street
Seattle, WA 98101
Lowest average rate: $ 165.00
ParamountSeattle_Ext_main.jpg
First class 11 story hotel with 2 Grand Suites in the heart of the city, european, chateau-styled hotel with spacious guest rooms which have 2 phones with voicemail & data port, web TV, coffeemaker, hairdryer, iron & board, movies and game systems available in all rooms. Breakfast buffet available from 7am - 11am. Children under 18 stay free with existing bedding when accompanied by an adult.

Red Lion Hotel on Fifth Avenue
1415 5th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
Lowest average rate: $ 164.00
SEA_GRAN-exter-1.jpg
2.00 Blocks to Event Location
Four star hotel on 5th & Pike encircled by upscale shopping, restaurants, business district and the Convention Center. All rooms include cable TV, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron & board, modem/data port phones, feather beds, bathrobe.

Roosevelt Hotel
1531 7th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
Lowest average rate: $ 159.00
RooseveltSeattle_Ext_main.jpg
Historic first class hotel in the heart of downtown. Rooms include individual climate control, clock radio, remote control TV with cable, hair dryer, bath robe, iron & board, coffee maker. Children under 18 stay free in parents room with existing bedding. 13 suites include oversized spas and honor bar.

Sheraton Seattle Hotel & Towers

1400 Sixth Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
Lowest average rate: $ 174.00
sheraton.jpg
Heart of downtown, rooms feature voice mail, TCI cable hook-up, coffee maker, iorn & board, mini bar, cable TV
ASimPerson wrote: »
I wrote the following for my friends. It includes which hotels have breakfast and walking distances based in reality:
All hotel prices are "double occupancy": two beds and four nights but for three people. Prices do not include 15.6% tax. Where possible, I've tried to include opinions from the PAX forums.

Link: https://www.ttgcompass.com/compass/webdirect.cfm?code=PENNY09

Homewood Suites: 1101 Pike St, $169/night, $225.33 per person
Pros: All suites, on the other side of I-5 from the convention center, free breakfast, and oh yeah, suites
Cons: On the other side of I-5 from the convention center

Crowne Plaza: 1113 Sixth Ave, $153/night, $204 per person
Pro: Cheapest
Cons: Farthest away (about 5 blocks walking)

Grand Hyatt: 721 Pine St, $194/night, $258.67 per person
Pros: Across from Pacific Place, 1 block from convention center, reportedly really nice
Cons: Price

Hilton: 1301 Sixth Ave, $169/night, $225.33 per person
Meh: About 3 blocks from convention center

Hotel Max: 620 Stewart St, $160/night, $213.33 per person
Pro: Historic and artsy, if that's your bag
Con: About 4 blocks walking to convention center

Hyatt: 1635 8th Ave, $194/night, $258.67 per person
Pro: 2 blocks from PAX, newish?
Con: Price

Paramount: 724 Pine St, $165/night, $220 per person
Pro: Smaller hotel, close to convention center (about 2 blocks), free breakfast
Con: Rooms just say "double occupancy", pictures show only single beds

Roosevelt: 1531 7th Ave, $159/night, $212 per person
Pro: Close (1-2 blocks), price
Cons: Rooms just say "double occupancy", pictures show only single beds

Sheraton: 1400 Sixth Avenue, $174/night, $232 per person (or $199/night, $265.33 per person, see below)
Pro: Across the frickin' street, also where we stayed last year
Con: Prices are wacky - they advertise a single occupancy 2 double bed rate, which makes no sense

Red Lion: 1415 Fifth Ave, $164/night, $218.67 per person
Pro: Close (2 blocks), reportedly nice, free internet, mini-fridge, undergoing renovation right now

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I must say, there are a LOT more options with the PAX rate than the previous years--at the least two previous years that I have been going.

On behalf of everyone, we all like to the thank the whole team for getting so many hotels under these negotiations.

P.S. Was there anyone out there who was as much tempted as I was to click on the "No Hotel (Seattle local or hobo)" part?

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dammit Moe, you closed the other thread as I was posting! :P

Anyway, I realized that internet at the Hyatt is not free. Just thought I would throw that in there...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can you add to the OP which hotels have Continental Breakfast? It'll help cheap-asses like myself.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    You find out which ones those are, and I'll add them in for you.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I must say, there are a LOT more options with the PAX rate than the previous years--at the least two previous years that I have been going.

On behalf of everyone, we all like to the thank the whole team for getting so many hotels under these negotiations.

P.S. Was there anyone out there who was as much tempted as I was to click on the "No Hotel (Seattle local or hobo)" part?

Tempted? You want to live here too? Well you can't. We've finally made it illegal for all you damn Californians to move up here any more! BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh wait, I think that was just a dream. (It's nothing personal, I just happen to come from a 3rd generation native family that was rather keen on Lesser Seattle.)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    after trolling tripadvisor for the past hour, i think im going to join the rest of you goons in the hyatt. the pictures of the rooms just look really nice

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
    edited March 2009

Tempted? You want to live here too? Well you can't. We've finally made it illegal for all you damn Californians to move up here any more! BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh wait, I think that was just a dream. (It's nothing personal, I just happen to come from a 3rd generation native family that was rather keen on Lesser Seattle.)

Man, ET, chill. She was just tempted to click on the Joke Option: Hobo.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Another thing I like about the Grand Hyatt, it seems to be the hotel that the developers go to. I remember talking to several folks from Blizzard, Mythic, and others outside of PAX. Pretty sweet.

parabola on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moe, you had best get used to Seattle's social insularity if you're going to move here eventually. However, I will cease any further threadjacking.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I guess I would qualify as a hobo... staying on a friend's floor and taking the bus to/from PAX each day...

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't remember which hotel I stayed last year - I roomed with four other forummers. I'll probably go for the Hyatt this time.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Ahem. To rebuttle, in the sarcastic insularity way, Northern California is FAR better than Southern*.

* = No disrespect to the fellow Southern Californian PAXians...and absolutely no disrespect to Disneyland.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Trisha LynnTrisha Lynn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Staying at the Grand Hyatt, because I've got good memories with them at other conventions.

Trisha Lynn on
    -- Editor/Publisher, GeekingOutAbout.com
    -- Publisher, Saucy Goose Press
    -- On Twitter @trishalynn
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wrote the following for my friends. It includes which hotels have breakfast and walking distances based in reality:
    All hotel prices are "double occupancy": two beds and four nights but for three people. Prices do not include 15.6% tax. Where possible, I've tried to include opinions from the PAX forums.

Link: https://www.ttgcompass.com/compass/webdirect.cfm?code=PENNY09

Homewood Suites: 1101 Pike St, $169/night, $225.33 per person
    Pros: All suites, on the other side of I-5 from the convention center, free breakfast, and oh yeah, suites
    Cons: On the other side of I-5 from the convention center

Crowne Plaza: 1113 Sixth Ave, $153/night, $204 per person
    Pro: Cheapest
    Cons: Farthest away (about 5 blocks walking)

Grand Hyatt: 721 Pine St, $194/night, $258.67 per person
    Pros: Across from Pacific Place, 1 block from convention center, reportedly really nice
    Cons: Price

Hilton: 1301 Sixth Ave, $169/night, $225.33 per person
    Meh: About 3 blocks from convention center

Hotel Max: 620 Stewart St, $160/night, $213.33 per person
    Pro: Historic and artsy, if that's your bag
    Con: About 4 blocks walking to convention center

Hyatt: 1635 8th Ave, $194/night, $258.67 per person
    Pro: 2 blocks from PAX, newish?
    Con: Price

Paramount: 724 Pine St, $165/night, $220 per person
    Pro: Smaller hotel, close to convention center (about 2 blocks), free breakfast
    Con: Rooms just say "double occupancy", pictures show only single beds

Roosevelt: 1531 7th Ave, $159/night, $212 per person
    Pro: Close (1-2 blocks), price
    Cons: Rooms just say "double occupancy", pictures show only single beds

Sheraton: 1400 Sixth Avenue, $174/night, $232 per person (or $199/night, $265.33 per person, see below)
    Pro: Across the frickin' street, also where we stayed last year
    Con: Prices are wacky - they advertise a single occupancy 2 double bed rate, which makes no sense

Red Lion: 1415 Fifth Ave, $164/night, $218.67 per person
    Pro: Close (2 blocks), reportedly nice, free internet, mini-fridge, undergoing renovation right now

ASimPerson on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm at Crowne, once again. I liked it last year and I don't mind the walk between the two, unlike Moe.

b0wser on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I voted Hilton, but this thread made me change to the Hyatt.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • GodmeatGodmeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Homewood Suites has free breakfast, if you want to add that to the op.

it also has free dinner mon-thursday

Also, the Hilton isn't 1 block from the convention center. Saying it's 2 blocks would be generous.

Godmeat on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The homewood suites sounds awesome but the sheratons pool is really nice except last year it was under construction.

Tough decision there.

Viscountalpha on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The hyatt is awesome. Comfy beds, great bathrooms. Me and a few other enforcers will be staying there again.

Even though I only spend a few hours a day in the hotel. It was nice to retreat to a huge bathtub and bed.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They may take our lives, but they'll never take our Grand Hyatt!!!

So yeah, Grand Hyatt for the freakin' win! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, two questions...

1)Anyone know anything about registering as a group? If I started a group, am I somehow responsible for everyone's rooms/monies? (We're trying to get a Twitter Shitter block together, and want to be in close proximity.)

2)Why is the Grand Hyatt more expensive for doubles? It's $169 for a king and $190 for a double. Has everyone else experienced this?

zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
    edited March 2009
    Good luck with close proximity. I've never had a hotel be able to guarantee a specific room or even a specific floor for PAX. Unless one person reserves all the rooms (and is therefore responsible for all the money), there's no way to guarantee you'll be placed in close proximity.

And yeah, it seems to be all of the hotels seem to have a jump for multiple occupancy.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    The hyatt is awesome. Comfy beds, great bathrooms. Me and a few other enforcers will be staying there again.

Even though I only spend a few hours a day in the hotel. It was nice to retreat to a huge bathtub and bed.

I booked there because BR told me to.

tr0tsky on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »

I booked there because BR told me to.

MY IDEAS ARE ALWAYS FULL OF WIN

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Grand Hyatt was amazing last year, but I have to check out the Sheraton's pool.

EDIT: Just switched to the Homewood Suites. I discovered that my by own internal calculus (kitchen+$100) > (highrise lap pool+proximity).

Huttah!

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    More ppl book @ homewood!

common people! free breakfast!

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited March 2009
    The Grand Hyatt is kicking some ass. I imagine some of those hotels in the middle will pick up when the more popular hotels fill up.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• MarzGurlMarzGurl Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I chose the Roosevelt for its combination of proximity and price. Don't need any other luxuries. I'm cool with this! :D

MarzGurl on
    http://www.marzgurlproductions.com - Your Convention Video is On the Way!
    Also find me at http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com !
  • MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Leaning towards the Hyatt, but need to confirm with friends who is/isn't coming before I do.

One question though, that I'm frankly surprised hasn't come up yet... which hotel TVs have accessible ports for hooking up consoles? I know most hotels don't, but I was a little disappointed last year when I didn't bring anything only to find that my hotel TV totally could've accommodated some sweet late-night console action. Any chance of putting those details either on the hotel booking site or at least in a sticky post here on the forums?

MrBartokomous on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Last year my Grand Hyatt room had not one, but two LCD televisions with plenty o' wide open ports for your gaming pleasure.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • SnoowySnoowy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm booked up for the Sheraton. Was there last year and it was good enough! Beds were a little small but o well.

I like the booking set up! It's much more convenient.

Snoowy on
    Snoowii.png
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Did Homewood. Been in Seattle enough recently that having to cross a bridge of I-5 to walk to the Con Center is really a nonissue. Also, free breakfast.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited March 2009
    Do Homewood suites have their own kitchen/fridge setup? I thought I heard somewhere that they did, which definitely gives it ++ points.

VThornheart on
  • DopeskiDopeski Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do Homewood suites have their own kitchen/fridge setup? I thought I heard somewhere that they did, which definitely gives it ++ points.

Yea they do. That's one of the reasons why I chose to stay there. Plus it can accommodate like 5-6 people.

Dopeski on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Formerly the Summerfield Suites, this all suite hotel formerly an apartment building converted into suite hotel by Wyndham in 1999. All suites include full kitchen with refrigerator and icemaker, oven, cook top, toaster, dishes and flatware, pots and pans, coffeemaker with complimentary coffee, alarm clock and radio, hair dryer, iron & board, large workspace 2 phone lines with voicemail and data port connections, color TV with cable and LodgeNet Movie Service. Complimentary breakfast buffet, same day dry cleaning

Says the hotel listing on the travel site, also OP.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • busychild424busychild424 Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    Thanks EvilBadman. Now it's stuck in my head.

"Never thought I'd be on a boat; it's a big blue watery road."

THANKS.
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Did Homewood. Been in Seattle enough recently that having to cross a bridge of I-5 to walk to the Con Center is really a nonissue. Also, free breakfast.

busychild424 on
    THE BOAT ENGINE MAKE NOISE MOTHERFUCKER
    edited March 2009
    I have to admit that that's definitely made of win as well.

VThornheart on
  • DopeskiDopeski Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Requests (Requests are based on hotel availability and are NOT guaranteed.) Early arrival, Two Double Beds, Non-Smoking"

Bleh, this worries me! I NEED MY DOUBLE BED!

Dopeski on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, I'm planning on doing the CCST, but haven't solidified my drivemates yet. Should I book a hotel now for myself and the other theoretical two people in my car?

Also, I wanted to book at the Grand Hyatt (because it sounds grand and you all say it's grand) but even the double double bed room says max occupancy 2 people. Are they going to flip out if there's three people in there?

Edit: Nevermind, checked out the now locked hotel discussion thread and realized I'm just being paranoid. Booked at the Grand Hyatt =)

Rius on
  • WolfeborneWolfeborne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Gotta say I hated the roosevelt last year. Weird room service hours, bad staff, and only two vending machines. The best part was in our room the ceiling was low enough for me to touch without jumping (I'm like 5'6".

Wolfeborne on
This discussion has been closed.