As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halkun's stupid art thread.

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Artist's Corner
I've decided to try some cartoon art with a tablet I have, but I seem to be having some problems...

For an example, I have my original scan and then my outline trace I did with a 4x3 Wacom using Gimp.

Original
69382454.png

Trace
24360201.png

How do you make the line art better? My lines are all shaky and squiggly. I scanned the picture in at 300 dpi and thought that if I traced resized the picture to a lower screen resolution it would look better. I traced it at a really high resolution. (About 500%, Kind of following how Gabe does it with his ustream broadcasts.) but it looks really bad.

Another issue is that when I draw, my index finger keeps pressing the button on the side pen and I get a context menu that pops up when I'm trying to draw. That's annoying and I can't see any way of turning that off. I just make due

halkun on

• Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You should set the pen pressure to control variable line width, so you get some character in your lines rather than just a thin outline.

Smooth lines are a case of being confident and knowing the line you are inking rather than simply 'tracing'. You will notice Gabe is quite quick and frequently undo's until it's exactly how he wants it. A lot of people also find it useful to lock their wrist and use their whole forearm to draw rather than just moving the hand or fingers.

I always give the same advice when it comes to inking: the wacom is merely a tool to allow you to do things quicker - if you can't ink a drawing with real ink and paper, then you won't be able to do it using a wacom.

Go buy a good brush and some indian ink and ink a few drawings. Get a feel for the action and the motion needed to pull clean lines and think about the pressure you are exerting to get the thickness you want. Practice, practice, practice.

Then when you do it on the Wacom it will be 100x more intuitive and look right.

Finally, the button on the pen pisses me off also -- you can disable it in your Wacom options, or you can just take the button physically off the pen.

Good luck! :^:

EDIT: looking at your original drawing, be prepared to have people in this thread tell you to go right back to the beginning learning proper form, shape and technique, because your drawing is lacking the basics. No offense intended - you asked for inking advice, which is what I've given, but ultimately the inking isn't what is letting your work down. So heads up on lots of people basically telling you this exact same thing.;-)

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I wasn't aware that cartoon art needed "shape" or "form". (Keeping in mind, my mind's eye is coming up with Sunday-morning funny papers.) I actually just grabbed a #2 pencil and filled out some stick figures to make them look like my friends. (Think one level up from XKCD). I'll make another thread with my art so that I can get some pointers, and you you guys can understand the context of what I'm trying to accomplish.

halkun on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You're welcome.

Grenn on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    halkun wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that cartoon art needed "shape" or "form".

of course it does. When you simplify the rendering with regards to the texture, color, shading, all of that, then the form becomes all the more important.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ok, let me set the context...

I don't really "art". I've been told I can draw, but it's really just silly doodles and the fragments of Anime fandom from 20 years ago. However, last night I thought it would be amusing to create a cute little comic for a friend of mine and a few of my close friends. I really haven't "drawn" for a long time, and never really came up with characters before.

Aha! A Challenge!

Now, I don't have much in the way of tools or knowledge. The first thing I did was find an old eraser from about 10 years ago, some #2 pencils from when I was in college, and some nice printer paper and got to work. I started out drawing silly faces on paper. I'm talking one step up from what you would find in a high school trapper keeper.

Here's something I pulled from the trash. Keep in mind this was the first thing I did last night when I started.
    trash.jpg
    trash2.jpg

For giggles I decided to use some XKCD stick figures as frameworks, and added balls for joints like I see in those "how to draw" books you see all over the place... This experiment resulted in something that surprised me... It came out, for what I was shooting for, somewhat decent.

stick.jpg

Not bad... Not bad... So the next thing I did was put together some charactetures of me and my friends.. Who knows I might be able to put something of a comic together after all.....

Here are scans of what I have so far. Keep in mind this is only after 24 hours of dicking around with a bare minimum of art supplies and some caffeine. The idea is get these into line-art from and compose all the characters together standing in a room. What would be really awesome is if I had these together by next Wednesday.

Feel free to rip into them. I can only get better. (Hey, if anyone wants to line-art these for me, more power too you, though I'm sure that's unrealistic to expect.

Here they are in order of which they were drawn.

paulf.jpgbryn.jpgchrisfmj.jpgjanam.jpgjoshu.jpg
    Gallery = (http://img27.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=paulf.jpg)

The last one I reused somewhat the pose of my original stick-guy. That last one is me, BTW.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I made a generic halkun art thread, so you guys can critique my stuff there :P This was supposed to be a "all you have to do is press CTRL+L or something" thread to make my lines better. I think I will be better off having you guys help with my drawing style in general.

halkun on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    I merged the two threads. Future questions about your tablet should go in the questions/discussion/tutorials thread.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thanks.... I didn't know the etiquette to two different questions that were not related.

halkun on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You've propably heard this before. Drawing/art in general, is like anything else, you just have to put in some time to get better at it. There are books you can buy to answer your basic questions/also free .pdfs.. I dont see the point of spoon feeding you titles, If you give a shit youll come back here asking specific questions about books etc.

Utilize the search function on your browser and go to your local library.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wasn't aware that cartoon art needed "shape" or "form". (Keeping in mind, my mind's eye is coming up with Sunday-morning funny papers.)

my mind just exploded with rage.

beavotron on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that cartoon art needed "shape" or "form". (Keeping in mind, my mind's eye is coming up with Sunday-morning funny papers.)

...and you wonder why I get the way I do.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

...and you wonder why I get the way I do.

as an artist thriving to improve with a cartoon style for the past 12 fucking years, this basically jabbed a fucking dagger into a pretty touchy ass vein.

the mentality that the cartoons you see in saturday morning cartoons didn't require years of study, require no knowledge of shape, form, anatomy, line, fucking ALL THE THINGS THAT A PERSON WOULD STUDY TO GET THERE is a mentality that fucking turns me into the incredible hulk and makes me want to smash fucking heads in.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I feel kind of dirty now.

Like I've entered the hive mind.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I feel kind of dirty now.

Like I've entered the hive mind.

why because you realize, unlike fucking 99% of the non-artistic world the effort it takes to get good at making something look believable but still simplistic?
    no man, that just makes you fucking smarter and more intuitive than absolute idiots like this guy.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No, I mean, I disagree with you guys all the time about this stuff.

But at the same time, I'm not vested in art. My viewpoints are going to be a bit different.

This, however, is a different thing. Shape and form are the foundations of all art. It is the core things that make up art. It doesn't matter what you are working with, or what genre of art, you are making shapes and forms. That's it.

So understanding how those things work obviously improves your art.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I didn't meat to ride such ire. I only picked up the pencil two days ago... I was told "You need to learn about form" and I thought "Wow!, That a wonderful idea, maybe I should dump what I have and have others look."

So let's just say that I understand that my initial assessment is wrong and trying to correct it. I can tell my poses need work, and I need my joints to be a little more consistent. I'm trying to figure out where all the balls and sticks go based on my idea of anatomy.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I didn't meat to ride such ire. I only picked up the pencil two days ago... I was told "You need to learn about form" and I thought "Wow!, That a wonderful idea, maybe I should dump what I have and have others look."

So let's just say that I understand that my initial assessment is wrong and trying to correct it. I can tell my poses need work, and I need my joints to be a little more consistent. I'm trying to figure out where all the balls and sticks go based on my idea of anatomy.

I guess an easy way would be to take pictures of real people and draw the lines and joints over them and see what the differences are.

But actually, there are some decent proportional rules for the human body. I'm sure someone can suggest a good book or tutorial to teach it to you.

I used How To Draw Comics the Marvel Way, which pretty much only teaches you to draw Captain America.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

There's an excellent resource for you in the chat thread. The man's drawings are very simple, but they follow all the fundamental rules of drawing.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

rage subsiding
    returning to normal state

i am glad you have seen the error of your ways.

beavotron on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    whatever u do, dont post this in the 'its finally finished section' of ca.org saying all that you've said.

Actually doit, that would be kinda funny.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    ThePacerThePacer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For giggles I decided to use some XKCD stick figures as frameworks, and added balls for joints like I see in those "how to draw" books you see all over the place... This experiment resulted in something that surprised me... It came out, for what I was shooting for, somewhat decent.

I've actually started doing this a while ago, and honestly, I really do not understand why I never attempted to do it earlier, and it's helped me with some tough perspectives. It is a very useful tool, don't feel ashamed to utilize it!

ThePacer on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow this isn't even a troll thread and you guys are shitting in it. Brother hasn't done anything wrong stop getting all butthurt and help him out.
    If you're serious about improving your abilities, It'll take a lot of work Halk.
    Check out the Questions + Tutorials thread for some suggestions on books/studies, and read everything everyone here has to say. Then practice. A lot.
    and stay away from Anime.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    Wow this isn't even a troll thread and you guys are shitting in it. Brother hasn't done anything wrong stop getting all butthurt and help him out.
    If you're serious about improving your abilities, It'll take a lot of work Halk.
    Check out the Questions + Tutorials thread for some suggestions on books/studies, and read everything everyone here has to say. Then practice. A lot.

can you read?
    like seriously... are you capable of reading and more importantly comprehending what you're reading?
    because i suggest you go back and read every post in this thread before you say shit like this

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »

can you read?
    like seriously... are you capable of reading and more importantly comprehending what you're reading?
    because i suggest you go back and read every post in this thread before you say shit like this

You see, telling people to stop trolling when there's no trolling going on is a form of trolling.

I'm like the troll king. with a PhD in trolling. I minored in flames. I know a little about trolling.

Also I'm going to shit in the mouth of the next person who says "stay away from anime"

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    let me know if i just failed hard with this. first time trying i guess.

lemme know if anyone actually thinks this would help anyone.

ung.png

sorry if i just wasted your time :P

r-jasper on