As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Has the Wii bubble burst?

14567810»

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    WarioWorld was the last one that forced 4:3 I think.

urahonky on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

If you had 16:9, game had special borders where some information was stored. 2D-games need to be designed to be either 16:9 or 4:3, and they really don't work with both aspects.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I thought it didn't technically force 4:3, but in widescreen it puts up bars on the sides of game art. So that was nice of them not to stretch it, I guess.

EDIT: gah

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited March 2009
    Mario Party 5 forced 4:3 which annoyed the shit out of me. Did Mario Super Sluggers? I can't remember.

urahonky on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Primes 1+2 were unplayable to me, as are anything where you have to aim a reticule while moving.

I cant stand dual stick for shooters.

I actually played Odin Sphere with an arcade stick because I'm not even a big fan of analog.

Just for clarification, you don't aim a reticule while moving in Prime. It's not a dual stick shooter. That was the biggest complaint about prime. It played like goldeneye with a Zelda lock-on mechanic.

EDIT: Prime 1 and 2 I mean.

TheSonicRetard on
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

There's also the nasty ass taste of "completely uncared for rehash" that I got with Brawl

Not only is this completly wrong, it's criminal. Brawl an uncared rehash? I mean damn, sure it has the same base as the other ones (duh?), but considering you play 360 so happily, where most of the catalogue are games as we've been playing for ages (not dissing the 360, I quite like it), new IPs or not, that's the kind of statement I see some people making and is just completely inconsistent.

Second, Brawl is one of the most "cared for" games I've ever seen. Ignoring that the game physics is different than before (which is why some Melee hardcore don't like it, because it changed) and that it has tons of new stuff and characters, it's just filled with love, fan service and thoughtfulness. Maybe you tried online (btw I heard it's working better now is this true?), didn't work fine, thought it was a throw away project, but man, you're just wrong. Wrong. The game is the complete opposite of "completely uncared for rehash". Sorry for the offtopic, had to be said.

I'm totally with blackwell, there are a lot of good games available, they're not hard to find and they're not that obscure. Since most people that say Wii has no games call themselves hardcore, they should be minimally informed, which leads me to believe that most pure and simply don't want to believe Wii has plenty of good games and/or have very very narrow taste. I never had to find my way through piles of crap either.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There isn't enough lime in the world for Lunker's post.

Norfair on
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Norfair wrote: »
    There isn't enough lime in the world for Lunker's post.

There is for yours, so, retroactively, people can understand that Lunker's post is to be completely limed.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cool, the weekly list wars thread

I'm going back through here to count the number of times "gathering dust" was mentioned

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'm going back through here to count the number of times "gathering dust" was mentioned

I'm not sure, but probably alot, since that is what all the kool kids say about their Wiis.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow, I never meant for this discussion to be 15 pages long, lol.

Oh well. People have expressed some interesting opinions, but I find one of my original statements very true at this point: The Wii is very polarizing.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited March 2009

I'd say we probably averaged one a page.

urahonky on
    edited March 2009
    I just read this entire thread, and I feel dumber for doing so.

Everyone involved in this thread should be ashamed, this was a pretty terrible thread. I suggest the OP change the threads title to "conzul warz lawl"

And, for what its worth, my PS3 sees more playtime than both my 360 AND my Wii. ass-backwards ftw.

TheSonicRetard on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Just that? Man, people are actually mellowing out a bit.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited March 2009
    Some people added some great stuff to the discussion, and then some people resorted to the very tired console warz cliche's.

I could really go for a pizza right now. :)

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I'm not sure, but probably alot, since that is what all the kool kids say about their Wiis.

I'm so cool, I'm actually gathering dust on an empty shelf in my entertainment center, because just in case I eventually decide to buy a Wii I want to have the required dust coating available.

Perhaps I should buy a Swiffer first, though.

Lawndart on
    edited March 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Just that? Man, people are actually mellowing out a bit.

Yeah no kidding. Normally we get about 4 per page, in the minimum. But I haven't seen it used very often lately.

urahonky on
    edited March 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »

I'm so cool, I'm actually gathering dust on an empty shelf in my entertainment center, because just in case I eventually decide to buy a Wii I want to have the required dust coating available.

You can attach a Wii to a rod and get a better dust collector than the Swiffer, just letting you know.

urahonky on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not this fucking idiotic discussion AGAIN.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    Some people added some great stuff to the discussion, and then some people resorted to the very tired console warz cliche's.

I could really go for a pizza right now. :)

You and I have vastly different interpretations of "great," then.

TheSonicRetard on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When I sold my Wii I actually had to wipe 3 trash bags worth of dust off it :| My allergies are much better, now.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited March 2009
    When I sold my Wii I actually had to wipe 3 trash bags worth of dust off it :| My allergies are much better, now.

You know... I developed asthma right around the time I picked up the Wii.

I may have to test this theory out!

urahonky on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You can attach a Wii to a rod and get a better dust collector than the Swiffer, just letting you know.

Wii Dust, E3 stealth announcement, coming Holiday '09.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »

There's also the nasty ass taste of "completely uncared for rehash" that I got with Brawl

Not only is this completly wrong, it's criminal. Brawl an uncared rehash? I mean damn, sure it has the same base as the other ones (duh?), but considering you play 360 so happily, where most of the catalogue are games as we've been playing for ages (not dissing the 360, I quite like it), new IPs or not, that's the kind of statement I see some people making and is just completely inconsistent.

Second, Brawl is one of the most "cared for" games I've ever seen. Ignoring that the game physics is different than before (which is why some Melee hardcore don't like it, because it changed) and that it has tons of new stuff and characters, it's just filled with love, fan service and thoughtfulness. Maybe you tried online (btw I heard it's working better now is this true?), didn't work fine, thought it was a throw away project, but man, you're just wrong. Wrong. The game is the complete opposite of "completely uncared for rehash". Sorry for the offtopic, had to be said.

I'm totally with blackwell, there are a lot of good games available, they're not hard to find and they're not that obscure. Since most people that say Wii has no games call themselves hardcore, they should be minimally informed, which leads me to believe that most pure and simply don't want to believe Wii has plenty of good games and/or have very very narrow taste. I never had to find my way through piles of crap either.

Yes. Brawl (and the new Animal Crossing) are rehashes. Yes, I play a ton of 360. Guess what? I bought World at War. It's a rehash and that sucked tons of fun out of it so I don't play it. Same for Gears of War 2 (though Horde online was awesome).

I played tons of Brawl and while I appreciated the sheer amount of fanservice that went into the game, it simply wasn't that major of an overhaul over Melee.

I would have loved Brawl if I hadn't spent countless hours in Melee.

I had the same problem with Mario Kart Wii. Same problem with Animal Crossing.

Not a slight against Nintendo or anything. They do have a bad habit of doing that. Pokemon games, etc.

I'm just trying to illustrate a point as to why I kinda quit playing the Wii. I played the really solid games on it and enjoyed them, but the lack of a serious online component really kept me from coming back to the system after I picked up a 360.

I'm not saying that there aren't games with serious online communities, just that my attention had been taken elsewhere.

I also didn't intend my post to be a "list wars" thread. I tried to list solid games for both systems that I owned, but point out that I felt there was too big of a gap in what I feel to be quality titles.

Sheep on
    edited March 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

Wii Dust, E3 stealth announcement, coming Holiday '09.

Uses the Motion-Plus and the Mario Kart wheel.

urahonky on
    edited March 2009
    It'll sell millions!

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    The Wii may or may not be a nice console. I dunno, I've never even touched one.

But goddamn do I hate your goddamn retarded Wii "discussions"

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.