As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Bow down before the God of [Chat]

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The pvp obtained Frost Wyrm is ;_;

I don't have time to gear up for pvp* and raid as well. This isn't a "Blizzard change it!" post, just a post about my sad realization that there's yet another awesome mount that I will in all likelihood never get.

*I have no pvp gear whatsoever.

Wassermelone on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I fully expect there to be another version available via PvE.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    I fully expect there to be another version available via PvE.

Yeah but it will be attached to an achievement with something like "Kill Arthas while turning shidderwins and jumping up and down while everyone in the raid is being bandaged by the guy to his immediate upwise."

Wassermelone on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    I'm still "Wtf?"ing about Gladiator Netherdrakes. I don't get why the best mounts in the entire game are rewarded from a clearly unbalanced side-game - one that outright excludes you from the rewards if you didn't a) roll the right class or b) are as skilled and as organized with your team as a Spartan regiment.
    Every class was capable of Gladiator in previous seasons. Stop sucking or complaining. Pick one.

Yes, it was indeed possible for Enhancement Shamans to attain the Gladiator title in previous seasons. I never said it was impossible.

It is, however, patently ridiculous to act like all classes had - and have - the same viability in PvP.

Push was an amazing Enhancement Shaman that managed to get Gladiator, but he is one out of hundreds of thousands. He was incredibly dedicated, organized with his team, had all the right macros, knew how to counter all kind of strategies, etc. etc.

Compare that with the ease with which your standard Warrior/Druid combo could utterly dominate in the old days.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't play as enhance then? Both elemental and resto have had places on top teams in multiple brackets throughout the tbc seasons.

khain on
    edited March 2009
    Because when I spec to pew pew people in the face with axes, that means I want to run around screaming while throwing out heal0r lazers, mirite?

I get what you're saying, but it's rather disingenuous to suggest that the answer to a spec's plight is to abandon the spec and playstyle altogether. I'd rather see it get buffed to competitiveness or, as I did with my Shaman, simply ignore that aspect of the game altogether. Which was sad, because I tended to like PvP a lot more than PvE back when it was still fresh and new for me.

It's one of the issues I have with hybrids. You might have a spec that is not your own that is competitive in PvP, but very often it is a completely different playstyle, and not what drew you to the class in the first place.

Dac on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Couldn't they have just made the arena drake an armored proto-drake?
    Sure, it'd still be annoying but at least regular proto-drakes are still available.

That Frost Wyrm is a regular Frost Wyrm, and since they probably don't want to butt-hurt their precious Arena players, it means they probably won't re-use that model for PVE. And I somehow doubt an Armored Frost Wyrm is in the cards for PVE.

Lars on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It seems pretty ridiculous to me that with 10 classes in the game and 3 talent trees each (not to mention dozens of variants that dip into multiple trees), every single one of them will be "top pvp" material. Yeah, it would be nice if that weren't the case, but it's a given that some trees are only viable in pve and there's not much that can be done about it.

xzzy on
    edited March 2009
    There's a difference between wanting to be "Tops PvP" and wanting to be at least generally competitive, though. I don't think asking for the latter is altogether too much.

Dac on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I seem to recall a blue post where GC stated their intention was to get all of the specs to be pvp viable.

hence the discussed changes with prot paladin pvp, and why prot warriors are currently stun/silence machines.

Nobody on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I like their stated direction... But if that previously posted chart is any indication, they still have a looong ways to go.

Dac on
    edited March 2009
    Unfortunately, estimating "competitiveness" is subjective. Is it reasonable to expect the gladiator title? 1700 rating? Topping damage charts in battlegrounds?

xzzy on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    It seems pretty ridiculous to me that with 10 classes in the game and 3 talent trees each (not to mention dozens of variants that dip into multiple trees), every single one of them will be "top pvp" material. Yeah, it would be nice if that weren't the case, but it's a given that some trees are only viable in pve and there's not much that can be done about it.

This is basically my opinion. While it would be nice if every spec was viable considering that they have huge problems even balancing the 10 classes with a single spec I think its asking a little for them to balance every variant and having every class be able to compete in PvP with a spec is more important than having every spec be viable.

khain on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Who thinks it would be a nice idea for you fast-track new characters you've made to lvl 55 (like DK already get to start as) once you have a level 80. Cause, honestly, unfairness >: (

Daxon on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    They try, but they've already stated that it is INCREDIBLY unrealistic to expect 30 specs to be equally viable in arena. Their goal is one viable spec per class, but they'll always try to prop every spec up as best they can.

In other words: you have a route to be competitive and you refuse to take it. Resto is right behind Holy Paladins as the best healing spec in arena. If you're going to create mental roadblocks, then all I can say is cry some more. Don't complain that your spec is currently bad when you can spend 50g and a few weeks to be competitive.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Daxon wrote: »
    Who thinks it would be a nice idea for you fast-track new characters you've made to lvl 55 (like DK already get to start as) once you have a level 80. Cause, honestly, unfairness >: (

I'm actually against the "get to start at X level" idea in general. We already have too many people that suck at their jobs as it due to how easy it is to get to 80....now you want to cut out 55 levels or XX levels from their learning curve right off the bat???

mturalon on
    edited March 2009
    They try, but they've already stated that it is INCREDIBLY unrealistic to expect 30 specs to be equally viable in arena. Their goal is one viable spec per class, but they'll always try to prop every spec up as best they can.

In other words: you have a route to be competitive and you refuse to take it. Resto is right behind Holy Paladins as the best healing spec in arena. If you're going to create mental roadblocks, then all I can say is cry some more. Don't complain that your spec is currently bad when you can spend 50g and a few weeks to be competitive.

This

mturalon on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not hero classes sorry.

@mturalon - Nobody learns to play their class right while leveling. They don't even have half the abilities they'll use at 80 at 55.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mturalon wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »

I'm actually against the "get to start at X level" idea in general. We already have too many people that suck at their jobs as it due to how easy it is to get to 80....now you want to cut out 55 levels or XX levels from their learning curve right off the bat???

I swear that was the decline of Dark Age of Camelot when they offered free level 20's to people who hit 50.

urahonky on
    edited March 2009
    Not hero classes sorry.

@mturalon - Nobody learns to play their class right while leveling. They don't even have half the abilities they'll use at 80 at 55.
    I did RAF for my warlock and still beat a fury warrior with superior gear. People just...suck.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lars wrote: »
    Couldn't they have just made the arena drake an armored proto-drake?
    Sure, it'd still be annoying but at least regular proto-drakes are still available.

That Frost Wyrm is a regular Frost Wyrm, and since they probably don't want to butt-hurt their precious Arena players, it means they probably won't re-use that model for PVE. And I somehow doubt an Armored Frost Wyrm is in the cards for PVE.

A lot of the stuff on MMO-Champion is data mined, anyway. It's not like Blizzard released that image as the final version. I don't understand why PVP wouldn't get proto-drakes like PVE has gotten so far, but they might just be lazy? I dunno. I don't think that will be the only frostwyrm in the entire expansion. PVPers got netherdrakes before anyone else but as someone else here has said... the frostwyrm is iconic of the whole expansion. No way will that be the only one and the only way to get it.

riz on
    edited March 2009
    Oh please please please make it easier for bad people to gain levels without figuring out how to play because I don't already see enough people saying they can DPS then outputting 500 for a dungeon run, or offering to heal, and yet can't keep your group alive running through H UK, or some other retardedly easy dungeon, or Hey I'm Gud MT, I have 22k HPs and 540+ def, but can't manage to hold aggro on 2 mobs, please get less aggro from me...

mturalon on
    edited March 2009
    Not hero classes sorry.

you get enough while leveling to LEARN which ones are going to be good for you and when.....

I can't tell you how many people I see at level 80 that don't even KNOW they have an ability/spell. If you really think you don't learn how to play your character while leveling them up, then why don't we just get rid of leveling outright.

mturalon on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Uh, how much raid-level tanking experience does someone get leveling to 30 or so? Oh that's right, NONE... Idiots are idiots, they need to learn that stuff at high levels, whether or not they take longer to get to level 55 or whatever is mostly irrelevant. How many alts even do instances before Northrend anyway? Unless they're getting run through by a level 80, that is...

riz on
    edited March 2009
    I already see these people on a regular basis. They suck no matter what and I'd rather NOT have to spend a bunch of time leveling so this guy can keyturn a bit better.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

This is a highly flawed logic in regards to hybrid classes in particular. A Mage or a Warlock? You cast offensive spells, it's fine for one spec to be good in PvP and others not so good. But Druids, Shaman and Paladins? The specs are pretty much nothing alike. Having chosen a Mage because you like to sling spells at people and then finding out that Fire is good for PvE and Frost is good for PvP? No biggie, it's just different colored spells. But if someone chose a Shaman so they could beat their foes with big axes, it's nowhere near reasonable to expect them but their axes in the bank and spec for healing if they want to be good at PvP.

reVerse on
    edited March 2009
    Please, there's nothing that happens from 1 to 79 that prepares people for how to play in a group at 80. It's a 100% completely different game. If you're an idiot at level 1, you'll be an idiot at level 80.

I really think the minimum level for new characters should be 55, and they begin redesigning vanilla wow for the next expansion, redoing all the story to update the things that have happened since launch and making it a level 80 to level 90 region.

xzzy on
    edited March 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    But if someone chose a Shaman so they could beat their foes with big axes, it's nowhere near reasonable to expect them but their axes in the bank and spec for healing if they want to be good at PvP.

Dual specs. We're about a month away from it being a non issue anymore. Sure you gotta collect two sets of armor, but everyone does that already.

xzzy on
    edited March 2009

This is a highly flawed logic in regards to hybrid classes in particular. A Mage or a Warlock? You cast offensive spells, it's fine for one spec to be good in PvP and others not so good. But Druids, Shaman and Paladins? The specs are pretty much nothing alike. Having chosen a Mage because you like to sling spells at people and then finding out that Fire is good for PvE and Frost is good for PvP? No biggie, it's just different colored spells. But if someone chose a Shaman so they could beat their foes with big axes, it's nowhere near reasonable to expect them but their axes in the bank and spec for healing if they want to be good at PvP.
    Sometimes you have to make sacrifices. You can't expect everything in this game to fall in your lap. I rarely see a spec do SO badly they can't get decent gear. Shit, there was a Prot warrior in S2 or S3 that managed to get around 1800.

Do you want a Frost Wyrm or to hit things with axes? Or...you can get the Frost Wyrm and just go BACK to hitting things with axes afterwards!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sometimes you have to make sacrifices. You can't expect everything in this game to fall in your lap.

I'm not expecting everything to fall into my lap, I'm expecting to have a fighting change with the class that I enjoy with the spec that I enjoy.

"You have to make sacrifices". I'm sorry, I thought I played this game to have fun, not "to make sacrifices". If Russia invades my country again and the government wants me to get up there to the frontlines, then I'll be prepared to make sacrifices.

reVerse on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sometimes you have to make sacrifices. You can't expect everything in this game to fall in your lap.

I'm not expecting everything to fall into my lap, I'm expecting to have a fighting change with the class that I enjoy with the spec that I enjoy.

"You have to make sacrifices". I'm sorry, I thought I played this game to have fun, not "to make sacrifices".

Well what's fun to you is completely different than what's fun to someone else. It's how it goes.

urahonky on
    edited March 2009

"You have to make sacrifices". I'm sorry, I thought I played this game to have fun, not "to make sacrifices". If Russia invades my country again and the government wants me to get up there to the frontlines, then I'll be prepared to make sacrifices.
    Godwin's Game, you son of a bitch!

Sacrifice has MULTIPLE degrees, so don't escalate this to fucking retarded levels. If you work 40 hours a week or more, you probably have to decide if you're going to dedicate time between raiding or arena. So you pick one over the other. Which...holy shit a sacrifice. You can't do EVERYTHING in this game.

Yes, it'd be nice if each spec of each class did perfectly well in every aspect of the game. But that's something that isn't going to happen. If you really want a Frostwyrm, you have a venue. You can take it, or wait and hope your spec is going to be viable in time.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited March 2009
    riz wrote: »
    Uh, how much raid-level tanking experience does someone get leveling to 30 or so? Oh that's right, NONE... Idiots are idiots, they need to learn that stuff at high levels, whether or not they take longer to get to level 55 or whatever is mostly irrelevant. How many alts even do instances before Northrend anyway? Unless they're getting run through by a level 80, that is...

yes you get 0 raid experience while leveling, but you do gain experience is my point. It's not about learning how to raid tank at level 30 that is the issue here, its learning how to play that class.. period... and just because you may play a very good level 80 mage doesn't mean you will play a good level 80 tank. They make you level for a reason...

mturalon on
    edited March 2009
    They make you level for a reason...
    To keep you paying 15 bucks a month for that much longer.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited March 2009
    riz wrote: »

yes you get 0 raid experience while leveling, but you do gain experience is my point. It's not about learning how to raid tank at level 30 that is the issue here, its learning how to play that class.. period... and just because you may play a very good level 80 mage doesn't mean you will play a good level 80 tank. They make you level for a reason...

I guarantee you that you don't learn anything in the first 55 levels of play that you don't learn in the last 25. There are plenty of terrible players at 80. They wouldn't have been any more or less terrible had they started at 55.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Especially with a game so new

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited March 2009
    They make you level for a reason...
    To keep you paying 15 bucks a month for that much longer.

if you hate leveling so much... don't make a damn alt....it comes with the territory. hey it might even make you focus more on your main... I mean.. weird and all but....If you want the experience of playing as many classes as you can, work for it. if you think its a waste of time to have to level alts, learn their skills, etc... don't do it. No one if forcing you to have 9 level 80s on your login screen.

mturalon on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

This

didn't they explicitely call this bullshit though, like 1 year ago.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited March 2009

Especially with a game so new

It might as well be, with their annual revision of basic mechanics and class roles. Every single class in the game has had at least one tree completely upended since release. Some have had it happen multiple times.

xzzy on
    edited March 2009
    if you hate leveling so much... don't make a damn alt....it comes with the territory. hey it might even make you focus more on your main... I mean.. weird and all but....If you want the experience of playing as many classes as you can, work for it. if you think its a waste of time to have to level alts, learn their skills, etc... don't do it. No one if forcing you to have 9 level 80s on your login screen.

This is constructive. This perspective could pretty much be applied to any feature that's been added to the game since release that has made the game tedium slightly less tedious.

Grundlestiltskin on
This discussion has been closed.