As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Bow down before the God of [Chat]

• ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    Please, there's nothing that happens from 1 to 79 that prepares people for how to play in a group at 80. It's a 100% completely different game. If you're an idiot at level 1, you'll be an idiot at level 80.

I really think the minimum level for new characters should be 55, and they begin redesigning vanilla wow for the next expansion, redoing all the story to update the things that have happened since launch and making it a level 80 to level 90 region.

I agree with this, it would be pretty damn cool. But it seems like the start of a cycle. New expansion for 90-100 and then redone outland for 100-110!

At the very least, redo the old world geometry for flying mounts. All this newly opened up zone-border area can go towards more mobs, quests, and resource nodes.

Arrath on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also that means less people grouping with me for VC runs if everyone can get a free level 55. :(

urahonky on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If they made it so that I could buy the RAF triple exp bonus without having to deal with the whole RAF aspect of it (either getting a friend to play the other account or dualboxing)... that I could get triple exp, even if only on one character at a time, for something like ten bucks... I'd pay that.

reVerse on
  • mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    well if you want to start at 55, make it some other kind of grind... say your main has to pay a "fee" or something to unlock starting at level 55. You can then go farm gold or whatever instead of grinding lowbie levels then just have a BoAccount token to hand to the guy you want to bump to 55 or something... Similar to refer a friend.

mturalon on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mturalon wrote: »
    riz wrote: »
    Uh, how much raid-level tanking experience does someone get leveling to 30 or so? Oh that's right, NONE... Idiots are idiots, they need to learn that stuff at high levels, whether or not they take longer to get to level 55 or whatever is mostly irrelevant. How many alts even do instances before Northrend anyway? Unless they're getting run through by a level 80, that is...

yes you get 0 raid experience while leveling, but you do gain experience is my point. It's not about learning how to raid tank at level 30 that is the issue here, its learning how to play that class.. period... and just because you may play a very good level 80 mage doesn't mean you will play a good level 80 tank. They make you level for a reason...

I guarantee you that you don't learn anything in the first 55 levels of play that you don't learn in the last 25. There are plenty of terrible players at 80. They wouldn't have been any more or less terrible had they started at 55.

This. Sure you learn some things at low levels... I don't think anyone here is arguing that you should be able to make a level 80 of any class after you get one level 80. But 55? That is a totally different story. You have all of Outland and Northrend to learn to use your abilities.

riz on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    If they made it so that I could buy the RAF triple exp bonus without having to deal with the whole RAF aspect of it (either getting a friend to play the other account or dualboxing)... that I could get triple exp, even if only on one character at a time, for something like ten bucks... I'd pay that.

They should just make the heirloom shoulders give a 30% xp bonus below level 60 and 10% from 61 on. Make it not stack with RAF.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited March 2009
    Uh, how much raid-level tanking experience does someone get leveling to 30 or so? Oh that's right, NONE... Idiots are idiots, they need to learn that stuff at high levels, whether or not they take longer to get to level 55 or whatever is mostly irrelevant. How many alts even do instances before Northrend anyway? Unless they're getting run through by a level 80, that is...

yes you get 0 raid experience while leveling, but you do gain experience is my point. It's not about learning how to raid tank at level 30 that is the issue here, its learning how to play that class.. period... and just because you may play a very good level 80 mage doesn't mean you will play a good level 80 tank. They make you level for a reason...

I guarantee you that you don't learn anything in the first 55 levels of play that you don't learn in the last 25. There are plenty of terrible players at 80. They wouldn't have been any more or less terrible had they started at 55.

This. Sure you learn some things at low levels... I don't think anyone here is arguing that you should be able to make a level 80 of any class after you get one level 80. But 55? That is a totally different story. You have all of Outland and Northrend to learn to use your abilities.

Then why 55. If you're going to learn all of your stuff in OL and Northrend why not just start at 70?

mturalon on
    edited March 2009

They should just make the heirloom shoulders give a 30% xp bonus below level 60 and 10% from 61 on. Make it not stack with RAF.

I approve of this because it would save me ten bucks.

On the other hand, the heirloom shoulders only affect exp from mobs, not quests, and the main reason why RAF leveling goes so fast is the crazy quest exp.

reVerse on
    edited March 2009

This... just make it increase the % for early levels so..... you can grind if you want to .. you can leave your friends behind..

mturalon on
    edited March 2009

This... just make it increase the % for early levels so..... you can grind if you want to .. you can leave your friends behind..

Heaven forbid that I should leave my friends behind. Maybe they oughta buy some heirloom shoulders, too?

reVerse on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Perhaps if the game had mentoring like EQ2 does, it wouldn't be an issue.

I hate being level 80 and not being able to help re-subscribing friends because grouping with them rapes their experience gains.

xzzy on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mentoring in EQ2 was so uber. My fabled (epic) gear in EQ2 scaled down such that it was WAY overpowered compared to the actual newb gear.

Newb characters would have 200-300 HP where I had 2k-3k. I would just run around gathering up elite mobs in dungeons while my newbs autofollowed getting a level every 5 minutes. It was glorious.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009

Cause your friends don't /dance and if they don't /dance well they're no friends of mine.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some sort of exemplar/sidekick system in WoW would be fucking amazing, but probably very difficult to implement.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited March 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Cause your friends don't /dance and if they don't /dance well they're no friends of mine.

I say, we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find

mturalon on
    edited March 2009
    A place they will never grind. C'mon, we gotta keep this on topic.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited March 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    Some sort of exemplar/sidekick system in WoW would be fucking amazing, but probably very difficult to implement.

They already figured out item scaling with the heirloom items.. the remaining tasks would be to scale abilities based on level and adjust hitpoints. They could probably even do half the work by applying a simple debuff, like how tenacity works.

xzzy on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man... someone used that stupid hearthsinger forresten trinket.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In all likelihood it would never happen, but it would be kind of cool if there was a quest line sort of like a daily except perhaps reseting every two months that you could do to get a level 55 added to your account.

Wassermelone on
    edited March 2009
    I never enter a raid without my piccolo and train.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited March 2009
    A place they will never grind. C'mon, we gotta keep this on topic.

damn.. that was a keyslip.. F and G are really close.

mturalon on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The dancing I couldn't care less about, but it seems like the train emotes all going at once somehow constructively interfere and get obscenely loud.

Otherwise it's not a big deal.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

They already figured out item scaling with the heirloom items.. the remaining tasks would be to scale abilities based on level and adjust hitpoints. They could probably even do half the work by applying a simple debuff, like how tenacity works.

I suppose that's possible. If it was a debuff to x level, I would assume that each debuff had a set distribution of stats it would "set" you to based on your class/spec. (Ie. there might be a level 55 DruidFeral debuff, a level 55 DruidResto debuff, and a level 55 DruidBoom debuff.)

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Then why 55. If you're going to learn all of your stuff in OL and Northrend why not just start at 70?

Just saying 55 because that's what they picked for DKs. I don't think anyone should be able to go straight to Northrend, but level 60 would be reasonable... or lower just so they get SOME idea of lower levels without all the 60+ skills.

Iroh wrote: »
    The dancing I couldn't care less about, but it seems like the train emotes all going at once somehow constructively interfere and get obscenely loud.

Otherwise it's not a big deal.

Train destroyer gnome is going to be the best 200g I'll ever spend.

riz on
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    perhaps they'll come out with a "earplug" hat that will keep you from dancing... or a "tinfoil armor" suit that blocks the xray specs.

dojango on
    edited March 2009

I suppose that's possible. If it was a debuff to x level, I would assume that each debuff had a set distribution of stats it would "set" you to based on your class/spec. (Ie. there might be a level 55 DruidFeral debuff, a level 55 DruidResto debuff, and a level 55 DruidBoom debuff.)

They don't even need to mess with talents. It's okay if the mentoring person is slightly overpowered for the level (that is, they have talents they shouldn't), all you have to do is apply an across the board reduction to all damage, healing, and mitigation.

This is basically what EQ2 does and it works splendidly.

xzzy on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

They don't even need to mess with talents. It's okay if the mentoring person is slightly overpowered for the level (that is, they have talents they shouldn't), all you have to do is apply an across the board reduction to all damage, healing, and mitigation.

This is basically what EQ2 does and it works splendidly.
    That reminds me of when I was helping my friends level their lowbies in TBC. We'd made them the clefthoof armor kits for their legs, then I was partied with them in Ghostlands with Devotion aura up. It doesn't scale down to their level, so they a ton of HP and a retarded amount of mitigation. Like, 75%. It was glorious. I just put them on follow and read a book while they tore through stuff.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Honestly, the only reason I want alts is to have more professions at my disposal, and I don't want to make a DK cause I tried it and hated it almost immediately.

Daxon on
    edited March 2009
    That reminds me of when I was helping my friends level their lowbies in TBC. We'd made them the clefthoof armor kits for their legs, then I was partied with them in Ghostlands with Devotion aura up. It doesn't scale down to their level, so they a ton of HP and a retarded amount of mitigation. Like, 75%. It was glorious. I just put them on follow and read a book while they tore through stuff.

When I first created my priest, shortly after I ran him to Ogrimmar he got the Onyxia buff.. at level 5. He ran around for the next 2 hours one shotting every mob he could find.

It's pretty funny how important stats are at low level.

xzzy on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So the background downloader keeps crashing my game after about 60 seconds. It refuses to let me connect to the server.

Disable it in the task manager and it just comes back as soon as I relaunch the game.

This is some bullshit.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    edited March 2009
    Well you could, I don't know, turn off the downloader from the options menu?

reVerse on
    edited March 2009

Did that to no effect. It keeps popping up about a minute after launching the game, which coincides exactly with when everything stops moving until I crash to login.

And then it gets stuck on "connecting" until I restart WoW and end the downlaoder in the task manager again.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Did that to no effect. It keeps popping up about a minute after launching the game, which coincides exactly with when everything stops moving until I crash to login.

And then it gets stuck on "connecting" until I restart WoW and end the downlaoder in the task manager again.

I, and thousands of other people, are also getting disconnected from WoW right now. Its the Comcast Curse again. Your experience with the downloader might just be coincidence, in that whenever your WoW is disconnecting, your downloader is as well.

Kid Presentable on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I, and thousands of other people, are also getting disconnected from WoW right now. Its the Comcast Curse again. Your experience with the downloader might just be coincidence, in that whenever your WoW is disconnecting, your downloader is as well.

This just started happening to me today. Get disconnected, can't reconnect for 5 minutes+. Internet is fine, I just can't get back into wow.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And you have Comcast, right?

It sucks, there's nothing you can do about it, and it'll probably be fixed tomorrow.

Kid Presentable on
    edited March 2009
    And you have Comcast, right?

It sucks, there's nothing you can do about it, and it'll probably be fixed tomorrow.

Managed to keep the downloader from starting itself and yes, still having the problem. It was just a coincidence, albeit a persistent one.

This is one of the more annoying issues I've had with an MMO.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not a fix for your problem, but if you want to stop the downloader in the future, just disable the launcher. It seems the launcer is what actually checks for new patch data, so if you disable it, the downloader never starts.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited March 2009
    So I can stay connected now but there's a consistent 600-800ms ping no matter where I am. Calling it quits for tonight.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    edited March 2009
    What do you want to bet that Comcast is killing connections that use bittorrent (which the blizzard downloader uses)?

xzzy on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Holy shit, Less-Rabi is not easy without imp. counterspell
    We had a group with two enhancement shammies, a warrior, a pally tank & pally healer, and it took us quite some time to get it down properly

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.