As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NSF56K!? HUGE! 1 year of artz.

PiousPious Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Artist's Corner
Kick.

Anyhoo, I need your guyzez input very badly right now about something.

Thing is, I have a pretty good shot at being featured at this local art thing called "ART BURNS RED". Anyhoo this is the message they sent me.

"Hey ya I definetly like your stuff. You are definitely very talented. Im looking for some artist who would like to display some of their work at our show coming up the 28th. Now we try to promote positive messages, inspiring pieces. Think you have anything that fits that category?"

Two things, GAWD NO I'M NOT TALENTED! I only have hard work, and not much to show. Also, Positive messages? Wha? My art has always been to motivate the people that watch me on deviant art. Also, the paintings they saw are about a year old, and i haven't done full color paintings for a long while. Just those black and white ones with little color.

Anyhoo, I need you guys to totally critique the hell out of me, Gawd this is going to hurt. I need you to look at my art from the past year...

Thing is about my art. It goes from the music I listen to. So um, yeah, all the titles to my art is named after a song that inspired me. Cause I sink myself into drawing when I listen to music, I can't draw without it.

But here we go....

Starting with the oldest.

Exactly one year the 15th of march.

Supertramp-Take the long way home.
Gackt Lu:na
Shing02-Love you like water.
Eberg-inside your head
Thats not all of it, thats just most of the stuff I didn't show you or I liked it.

More Recent. These are ones you've seen prolly.

Michael Jackson-You Rock My World
Does it offend you yeah?-Being bad feels pretty good
Nujabes- Reflection Eternal & Utada- Heart Station
Dead or Alive-You spin me round....WTF?
Jamiroquai-Electric Mistress
None of that seems positive to me. Just entertaining...To me.

Now for my comic.

Untitled_1_4.jpg
Pious on

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Starts out with promo pics
    chapterpromosmall.jpg
    promosmalll.jpg
    promoshanalsmall.jpg

Warning, furking huge file.
    Ch1
    l_6b5b2e8cf4bd446187c7a3f463f16d20.jpg

Ch2 promo's set up the beginning of Ch2. Also, its incomplete.
    ch2_copy.jpg
    essefrosmall.jpg
    l_ac501c3d5f904cd8a5df9a4d28bc26c5.jpg

This is how Ch2 works. I explained this to Toji, and yeah, I'll put it in flash.

The title to chapter 2 is "Aerodynamic". That daft punk song.
    watch?v=14xgbeHsJXI

I didn't make a script for my comic, I made a playlist on my Ipod. About 12 songs. Well, with my comic, I wanted it to be in Pace with the song. Like every time you hear the bass, like the drums, ex"bumb bumb bumb" You move your eye to the next panel 3 times.

With this song, I counted all the "bumbs" Its about 104 panels. Also, the song goes in sets of 3 adding up to 9. So I can only make my pages with either 3, 6, or 9 panels.

The last panel ends at .59 secs of the song. I think.

The thing with this, It works, but it works only if you know what your doing. I know when to move my eye to the next panel, but when I give it to the reader, they don't. So its just stupid.

I can actually tell you the whole story right now if I felt like it. I have it in my head like a movie. Is that how most comic book artist work? I play the chapter in my head like movie, then I take snapshots in my head and put them on the panels. Thats how I did it in PAACBT. I was running a movie in my head. I can't write this stuff down. Music is often tied to memory, so when I play the songs, It jogs my memory of the story..

MMMK, so my question is. How to I explain this to those people? Its all digital! Should I just scrap all this and paint my ass off for a week? Its not till 28th of march.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ...you have to listen to a song to read your comic?

No one is going to have the patience for that..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think you're gonna need some paintings.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i uh....dont get it

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Funny.

Seeing this:
    Journey_Home_by_hi_i.jpg

Didn't make me think of Supertramp. It made me think of this song:
    But a well-rendered crab all the same. Bravo, sir.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ...you have to listen to a song to read your comic?

No one is going to have the patience for that..

Yeah, I figured as much, thats why i'm trying to put it in flash. I lost my original file, so I had to redo it really quickly to show you guys....

When you first play the flash comic it's reaaaly out of sync cause I can't figure out how to get the preloader to work. But once the 2nd loop starts it will be in sync better with the song. Its still screwy cause I gotta work on it a bit more. Its only like 23 seconds.

It will take like 2 mins to load...20 secs...then loop to be better in sync..so about 3 mins...
    http://www.constantconceptions.com/omg_crap/derrr.html

But yeah, thats what I'm going for with the comic....

But my question was with all this art and being featured in an art show is, what should I show them? I mean, I can get this flash thing to work in a couple of days and the show is not till saturday, then again, i'm not even done with the bloody chapter....I'm confused on so many levels.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    show them the flash.

This is more in the direction of animation than comics almost.

Coordinating sound and picture. It should be presented like an animation, especially the way you are panning across drawings.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    show them the flash.

This is more in the direction of animation than comics almost.

Coordinating sound and picture. It should be presented like an animation.

I was going for a mix, I've seen animated comics that play for you, eventually like in the middle of the comic while its actually flowing, the character actually moves, like the eyes, or an arm or some shtiz, but thanks. I'll show them the flash once I get more of it finished.

But thanks, i'm sorry I get confusing.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    PumazPumaz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I liked that first comic I gotta say.

Pumaz on