As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E] King of the Trollhaunt Warrens - Table Talk Thread

• InxInx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesome, I look forward to adventuring with you all!

Of course, Dardek's suggestion for the party name would have been "Pelor's Fist" or "Champions of the Sun" or even "The Lightbearers".

Oh, those holy men and their zealotry...

Inx on
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Siali fell in with the group as a means to maintain a distance while she plots her revenge. She would have little say about the party name.

I feel that she and Dardek will be at odds quite often... due of course to their different ideas on how to "solve" various problems.

On the other hand, I think that Edgil and Siali might see eye to eye pretty often. How do you feel about that Denada?

edit: for clarification, i think that during the previous campaigns together, i would have done some things that might be questionable to the lawful good characters (possibly the good ones too), often with a high level of inner turmoil after the fact.

psolms on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I could see it in that Edgil doesn't exactly follow the law at all times, mainly when it stands in the way of him attaining an ancient text or artifact. He is somewhat socially inept, and is generally disinterested in living people. That could provide some source of comfort to Siali, since he wouldn't ask her any probing questions about who she is or where she comes from. Her being a part of the company is good enough reason for her to be there, as far as he's concerned.

Now, Jack would be someone he's very interested in, mainly because Edgil would see him as a walking, talking artifact. There would be no end to the questions about his origin, what he remembers about his creators, how he was re-awakened, and on and on.

As far as a party name goes, Edgil would want to come up with something of significant historical value, and thus wouldn't be able to settle on a name. He would go with whatever the party decided "for now", always adding "It's a work in progress." if someone asked about it.

Denada on
    edited March 2009
    2 things:

1. Myth-weavers seems to be up (partially at least), but you need to update your urls for the sheets.
    2. Should we pick backgrounds as well?

edit: new question 2

psolms on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got my copy of the PHB2 in hand, so if any of you guys have any questions about options for your characters, feel free to ask.

I'll be going by themindtakers rule. Up until you use a feat, power, skill or ability you may retrain it for another legal selection.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alright, got my hands on the PHB2. I will probably change a power or two, but otherwise I will keep it the same. Maybe grab weapon expertise, just because its so awesome.

As for the party: Jack's prime reason for adventuring is very simple, to adventure! He wants to see the world for all its worth, and more importantly, destroy those who would deny him that opportunity either through direct conflict with himself, or through conflict with nature. Thus his reasoning for being in the party is very simple.

For inter-party relations, he would probably get along with just about everybody. I like to think of Jack as a kind of mother goose in spirit, wanting to protect his "family", and giving them probably more credit than he should when the situation arises.

He is happy to answer whatever questions Edgil asks him to the best of his ability (at appropriate times of course), though how much of it is true you could not know. Jack is very much so connected to the spirits, and may give vague answers which are unsatisfactory for the fact hungry wizard. :)

As for the party name, I don't think Jack would care much (and I cant think of one :3 )

Foolish Chaos on
    edited March 2009
    Just to give an idea of Dardek's behavior within the party - I think Dardek would do his best to get along with the group - they are, after all, fighting the forces of evil. He may disagree, sometimes very openly, but Pelor is not so lawful of a God, which allows him to be a bit more flexible and tolerant of some of the less savory parts of life.

Dardek's in it for the destruction of evil.

Inx on
    edited March 2009
    Just changed warforged tactics to weapon expertise, as they both give me a +1, only the second can be used all the time. Heres my sheet, since we need to link again:

Jack

Decided to leave everything else as is.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited March 2009
    i traded in one of my potion of vitality for an arm slot item that i found.. hope thats all coolio..

of the names suggested so far, my vote goes to Pelor's Fist.. but siali isnt a huge fan of associating the group with any gods... maybe.. "Furious Fist"? or.. "Fist of Champions"?

just spitballing here..

psolms on
    edited March 2009
    I don't really think those sound like party names, more like what you would name a tavern or a single person. I think the trick here is to start it with 'The' and then a plural. Maybe The Hands of Pelor. Or, The Champions of blah blah blah. The Knights of the Polygonal Table? :P

On a side note, I just figured out something amazing. Warforged cannot fail death saving throws, and the frenzied berserker level 12 utility Deathless Frenzy makes it so you only fall unconscious when you eventually fail a death saving throw. I can still die from normal damage, but if Jack makes it to level 12, just damn.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited March 2009
    damn is right! he'll keep fighting until he literally die dies...

my favorite is when i get 12, im going to take the dilattante = at will feat, making my twin strike unbearable (combined with a crit range of 18-20 with daggers :P)

30% chance to crit every turn, ill probably retrain to devastating critical after i get 12th, one of the daggers does +3d12 damage on crit... its going to be a little crazy up in here.

im still disapointed that jack is such a better striker than me... +17 to hit at all times? we will be competing for kills for sure... :P

edit: hmm.. technically, i could do it now... tempting...

psolms on
    edited March 2009
    You might as well. Thats a pretty slick combo.

Also I forgot to save the sheet when I added weapon expertise. Its now a base of +18 to attack. :P I just got kinda lucky in that all I really need is strength to hurt things, and my secondary stat is con. Both being war forged bonuses.

You might also want to consider getting Weapon Expertise as well (heroic tier, gain a +1 to attack rolls while wielding a weapon from your weapon group of choice, such as light blade, increases to +2 at level 15, and +3 at level 25).

Foolish Chaos on
    edited March 2009
    well i have nimble blade, which gives me a +1 w light blades (when i have combat advantage).. im going to see if they would stack (cause i plan on having CA often - sneak attack) and if so, i might have to retrain 3 feats

hmm... where is weapon expertise? its not in PHB1...

edit: ah... devastating critical is paragon, as is the half elf ability.. cant stack the crazy crits just yet...

psolms on
    edited March 2009
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=113631

There's the sheet again - I'm not changing anything, didn't see anything super-handy in the PHB 2.

Inx on
    edited March 2009
    Goddamn, game starts tomorrow and still no name people.

Also, it seems that our warlord hasn't checked in yet...

Foolish Chaos on
    edited March 2009
    I hate to be a Warhammer nerd...

The Knights of the Blazing Sun.

Inx on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    IC Thread should go up around 5ish today, feel free to spend today trying to settle on a band name.

Also, I PM'd Horseshoe in case he didn't notice he got picked.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    I'm fine with Knights of the Blazing Sun.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited March 2009
    That works for me too. Also I may be switching out my PP if there's something better in PHB2, I just haven't had a chance to sit down and look things over yet. I'll have stuff sorted out before we start though.

Denada on
    edited March 2009
    im down with the knights of the blazing sun.

psolms on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aziz would suggest "Knights of the Desert Sun" due to his personal heritage... and of course, the fact that the sun's influence and intensity in the Desert climates is much more powerful.

Or perhaps "Mujahideen Al-Shamshate'a" (I play Draconic as a rough amalgamation of arabic/persian/etc)

The above would mean roughly the same as "Knights of the Blazing Sun" but with a Draconic flavor.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Aziz is somewhat a religious kind of guy as well... in sorta a different way.

He's from a sect of the Draconic faiths that venerates Io, the dead god, the King of Dragon Kings, etc

In his religion, Bahamut and Tiamat emerged from the remains of Io, and thus both are the products of his divine spark... both are worthy of worship.

Those whom do not respect the balance and choose to align only with one or the other are missing the point... and ultimately doing great insult to Io. Though his religion preaches tolerance, the word "infidel" may get thrown around in such conversations. And usually when that one gets tossed out there trouble might ensue.

Otherwise he's very committed to the "struggle" inherent in life. Not necessarily between that which is percieved against good and evil, but that of civilization and culture (necessary for the understanding of Io through reflection and study) versus those who seek to dominate and tear down the edifices of learning, worship, trade, etc.

He is a brave leader who will be doing daring things from the front lines... you'll see a lot of "brash strike" from him, so having the defender at his side... or someone who can lay out some goddamn punishment... will be a practical sort of tactic.

Also a boon of an AC buff or temporary HP once in a while would be nice since he'll be putting himself at risk in this way, if anyone's got the ability :P

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Oh that reminds me, did we decide if the backgrounds in PHB2 are allowed?

Denada on
    edited March 2009
    the "scales of war" backgrounds make very good general backgrounds as well

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Denada wrote: »
    Oh that reminds me, did we decide if the backgrounds in PHB2 are allowed?

Yup. Or the ones from Dragon Magazine, for that matter.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    Updated Sheet.

Swapped Spellstorm PP for Adroit Explorer, because that just made too much sense for Edgil.
    Also took the Scholar background, giving me a +2 bonus to Arcana checks. Also makes sense.
    Added Lightning Bolt as my additional Encounter power from my PP.

Denada on
    edited March 2009
    Horseshoe, Aziz is in luck - Dardek is built ENTIRELY around Defense Buffs and HP (temporary and real) Gain.

Inx on
    edited March 2009
    im gonna be away for the next few hours, but will post (as soon as theres a game thread) when i get back.

could you link the game thread here when you put it up DVG?
    that would be ever so helpful.

psolms on
    edited March 2009
    Just finished the map and making all the player and monster tokens for the first encounter (whew!)

Game thread will be up very shortly.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    Game Thread is up, and shit has started to go down.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=85866

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    I say we delay until S. is 6 squares from the nearest Troll, then let 'em have it.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Hm. Wasn't expecting no OOC thread, I must have missed that.

Any way we can convert this thread to an OOC so we don't have to wade through tons of spoilers to figure out what is going on?

If I'm the only one who thinks that would be convenient I'll stifle myself now.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    We can keep this thread for general table talk, but it's a lot better to not have to flip back and forth for rolls, maps, etc.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    well of course

it's nice to have a bit of table talk though, thanks :)

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    by the way, DVG, how would you like to handle powers like Brash Strike that allow an attack from an ally?

in the case of Brash Strike it might be faster if you (or I) handled the enemy's attack and the ally's attack for the purposes of expediency.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    do the trolls know where i am? am i visible, but concealed? really, im asking if im hiding currently (as in, going to get CA when i bust out the old vicious dagger)

psolms on
    edited March 2009
    @horseshoe if you are initiating a basic attack from someone else, I have no problems with you rolling it for the sake of game speed, assuming none of the PCs object. If there are any decisions to be made, the actual player will have to make them.

@psolms You are visable, but consealed, and not currently benefitting from combat advantage

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    Aziz Al-Murzim

azizg.jpg

Level 11 Dragonborn Warlord (Bravura) / Sword Marshal
    Init +7; Senses Perception +4 (passive 14)
    Defenses AC 29, Fortitude 24, Reflex 23, Will 22
    HP 76; Bloodied 38; Surge Value 21; Surges/Day 11
    Speed 5 squares
    Melee Basic Sacrificial Bastard Sword, +17 vs AC (1d10+9) or
    Melee Basic Unarmed, +11 vs AC (1d4+6) or
    Ranged Basic Javelin, +13 vs AC (1d6+6) or
    Atk Options Inspiring Word (minor action); Sword Marshal's Action
    Special Actions Action Point, Second Wind 1/enc, Disciplined Blade
    Warlord Features Inspiring Word, Bravura Presence
    Sword Marshal Features Disciplined Blade, Sword Marshal's Action
    At Will Exploits Brash Assault, Opening Shove, Martyr's Armor Item Power
    Encounter Exploits (attacks) Dragon Breath (Fire), Luring Focus, Shielding Retaliation, Provoke Overextension, Blade Flurry
    Encounter Exploits (utility) Shake It Off, Rousing Words, Rallying Deflection
    Daily Exploits Fearless Rescue, Villain's Nightmare, Denying Mark
    Abilities Str 22, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 14, Wis 9, Cha 14
    Feats Shield Proficiency (Heavy), Improved Bravura, Improved Inspiring Word, Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), Armor Proficiency (Scale), Durable, Lightning Reflexes
    Skills Acrobatics +3, Arcana +7, Athletics +14, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +14, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance: +10, Heal +9, History +12, Insight +4, Intimidate +11, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion: +7, Stealth +3, Streetwise +9, Thievery +3
    Possessions Adventurer's Kit, Martyr's Wyvernscale Armor +3, Sacrificial Bastard Sword +3, Cloak of Distortion +2, Helm of Heroes (Heroic Tier), Jousting Shield (heavy, heroic tier), Potion of Clarity, Potion of Regeneration, Potion of Healing, Javelins (4).

Background: Scion of an Ancient Bloodline ("Characters of War", Dragon #366)

Also! Snazzy Power Cards!
    powersheet.jpg

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    nice lightning edgil.. jack is up to bat..
    on an off topic note, say i was using twin strike (my dilettante power) from range.. would i be able to use the same dagger with both attacks (as if it were a ranged weapon?... also the dagger is magical and returns to my hand after resolving attacks) or would i have to use 2 daggers?

psolms on
    edited March 2009
    If the dagger has a property that causes it to return after the attack, you can use the same dagger.

Otherwise, two different daggers.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857