As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 3-18-09: um....Mahnke on GL is pretty great...

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There should be. Superhero team walks through the time-gate into 2065. Elderly versions of superheroes are sitting around picnic tables at the Captain America Memorial Park, sipping lemonade.

"Oh, how's it going heroes of the past? Dystopian future? Super villains? No, we got tired of that nonsense and finally built a super prison that they couldn't escape from out of old Sentinel parts. Then, after we worked out the Space Peace Treaty with the Skrulls and Kree, things seemed to quiet down a bit. I guess things are pretty peaceful these days. Here, you take some of these cookies we baked back into the past. No, no, I insist. Here, Tigra knitted you a scarf. We don't want your neck to get cold while you're fighting for justice in past. See you! Have a good trip!"

desc on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tales of the TMNT was amazing.

Those guys should become the regular team on it and it would be one of the best books on the shelves.

Bloods End on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Although DW's interpretation is an idea so crazy that I could legitimately see Millar considering.
    What a horrendously awful future Old Man Logan is in.
    Skull murdered all the heroes?
    God. I hate alternate futures, all the worst shit that can happen to your heroes happens.

Is there any future that Marvel has shown that doesn't involve all of the heroes getting killed in the early 21st century?

MC2 universe (spidergirl, etc) was a very natural progression where it was a 'normal' future that you could see the Marvel U takign in 20 years time.

KVW on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Its not even like they're what-ifs, they generally seem to get acknowledged as existing but in an alternate universe, so all this awful shit has hapenned in a universe to the heroes you like. Its like the end of the Mortal Kombat tv series where all the heroes died. It fucks with your perceptions of right and wrong.

DarkWarrior on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    desc wrote: »
    There should be. Superhero team walks through the time-gate into 2065. Elderly versions of superheroes are sitting around picnic tables at the Captain America Memorial Park, sipping lemonade.

"Oh, how's it going heroes of the past? Dystopian future? Super villains? No, we got tired of that nonsense and finally built a super prison that they couldn't escape from out of old Sentinel parts. Then, after we worked out the Space Peace Treaty with the Skrulls and Kree, things seemed to quiet down a bit. I guess things are pretty peaceful these days. Here, you take some of these cookies we baked back into the past. No, no, I insist. Here, Tigra knitted you a scarf. We don't want your neck to get cold while you're fighting for justice in past. See you! Have a good trip!"

And then the Badoon rain Hell on the park, killing all of the heroes.

Which IIRC is the backstory for the original GoG.

Crimsondude on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dark Avengers is a really awesome book, guys.

deadonthestreet on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I didn't get too many new comics this week, but my personal MOTW is finally getting my hands on the Starman Omnibus Vol. 2. So good, plus it has the Shade Journals in it too.

Zaylenz on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i too picked up starman omnibus vol 2.

love this series.

Angry on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm always reticent about buying series a second time, but it's hard to resist Starman.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    I didn't get too many new comics this week, but my personal MOTW is finally getting my hands on the Starman Omnibus Vol. 2. So good, plus it has the Shade Journals in it too.
    FUCK

YES

someone give me 50 dollars

Sars_Boy on
    edited March 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    no one gave a fuck about Tabitha before or after Nextwave and Nextwave is over forever so i didn't really care at all

She actually appeared in a story with Beast that was pretty awesome. The character had basically just been rebuilt from the ground up, so killing her now is just annoying as fuck. It's like killing Machine Man just after he's had a resurgence in popularity. Sure you can say, "Oh well no-one cared about him before or after Nextwave, and Nextwave's never coming back, so why not kill him?" Maybe because he's actually an interesting character now?
    she was 'rebuilt from the ground up' as a one dimensional character that served a very specific purpose

Sars_Boy on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hey sars

starman omnibus is so good

you suck for not having it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm always reticent about buying series a second time, but it's hard to resist Starman.

When Fables comes out in Hardcover it will be the first series I will have bought three different times. And it's worth it.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2009
    hey sars

starman omnibus is so good

you suck for not having it
    dude i know give me 50 dollars

Sars_Boy on
    edited March 2009
    look you ain't even got a copy of cobra

why should I lend money to someone who ain't able to watch Cobra anytime he wants

why?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2009
    so he can watch cobra anytime he wants

and buy starman omnibus vol. 2

Sars_Boy on
    edited March 2009
    man I ain't gonna go lending money to no youngster

you gotta learn the value of a dollar

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

It really was excellent. The conversation between Osborn and Bob wasn't just good, it was the first time I've seen the Sentry not being horrible.

werehippy on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wednesday Comics by DC.

Super Awesome

Algertman on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow, I just read X-Force, you guys are right that is messed up. Scott is in dire need of a reckoning for all his bullshit lately.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    Wednesday Comics by DC.

Super Awesome

newsprint

Sars_Boy on
    edited March 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Wow, I just read X-Force, you guys are right that is messed up. Scott is in dire need of a reckoning for all his bullshit lately.

I actually kind of like what they've been doing with Scott since Whedon's Astonishing, it's just X-Force is kind of dicey on the story side to start with and, I think, they had certain things they had to set in place for the mini-event that's kicking off. It's a pretty crap issue all around, but I'm ok with more or less ignoring everything except the broadest strokes in X-Force when looking at everything else.

werehippy on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    werehippy wrote: »

It really was excellent. The conversation between Osborn and Bob wasn't just good, it was the first time I've seen the Sentry not being horrible.

I was honestly surprised by that conversation between Norman and Bob. I suppose it is true that Norman would be one of the only guys to understand Bob's condition. I'm really loving Dark Avengers so far, far more than I thought I would (now if only Slott would find a nice pace for Mighty).

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited March 2009
    Also, let me just get on the Ultimatum is an abortion bandwagon. I'm really at a loss as to who could possibly think this is passable, let alone good. It's such a shame that the Ultimate universe is getting trashed for this monstrosity of a story. I've never wished for a story to end with a slam on the reset button before.

werehippy on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    she was 'rebuilt from the ground up' as a one dimensional character that served a very specific purpose

I'm not sure why you believe a character, any character, can only be suited to serve one "very specific purpose." Doc Magnus is just some dude who built some robots. Do we really need him around when there's a dozen guys that do the same thing? Dr. 13 and Team 13 were all reinvigorated for a 4th wall breaking adventure. Why bother doing anything with those characters now that they've all carried that story to its conclusion? Empress and Secret are just hanging out collecting dust, and it's not like they'll ever be used for anything again. Why not kill them? Etc.

I liked that Boom Boom had been cast as kind of the airhead valley girl mutant, filling a niche that had been vacated when Jubilee got all serious and started appearing in Kevin Grevioux comics. It bugs me that she'd get casually whacked following a resurgence in her popularity, in a book she was completely uninvolved in, when pretty much any other random mutant that hadn't appeared in a decade or two could have filled that role. Worse, it seems to have happened due to an inexplicable contrivance of the plot.

Granted, I don't read X-Force. I don't read any X-Books (except X-Factor), because they've all been filled with the same kind of dreary, "Oh fuck, someone's trying to kill all of us," bullshit since I was in kindergarten. So I'm willing to accept that this is just a result of me not caring for the general tone and direction of the mainstream X-Books. But as I said, it bugs me that a character I'd grown to like had to get dragged into some stupid bullshit I don't care about, and offed for no good reason.

Oh hey, on a less grumpy note, seeing Deadpool beat up analogues of Jean Claude Van Damme, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Snake Plissken, Walker Texas Ranger, Steven Segal in a big send up to Game of Death, in this week's one-shot entitled Deadpool: Game$ of Death, was pretty awesome.

X-Factor also continues to get better. PAD's sometimes cantankerous online personality aside, he's doing a hell of a job getting the book back on track.

Munch on
    edited March 2009
    Also, let me just get on the Ultimatum is an abortion bandwagon. I'm really at a loss as to who could possibly think this is passable, let alone good. It's such a shame that the Ultimate universe is getting trashed for this monstrosity of a story. I've never wished for a story to end with a slam on the reset button before.

It really is bad. The delays didn't help it, and Finch's art isn't that great either.

I really don't want this to be come out the wrong way, but I can't shake the feeling that emotion is taking over at Marvel whenever they have to deal with Loeb; is he using his late son as a buffer to avoid editorial telling him his stories are crap?

TexiKen on
    edited March 2009
    Whenever Quesada offers a critique, Loeb stuffs his mouth full of the money earned by his high-selling comics.

Also, I'm sure Marvel is way more concerned about the mainstream universe.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think it's more that his shit keeps selling. But the drop in sales on both Ultimatum and Hulk have both been pretty steep, so I'm hoping that readers are beginning to get tired of his shit.

Munch on
    edited March 2009
    His books sell because he's always given a big name character plus a superstar artist. He's given two things that skew the results of the double blind taste test for determining whether Coke or Pepsi is better. I mean sales

When he was on Superman, he sold ~50k. Which is where I would put him, truly. Although those stories were actually rather good, save for Our Worlds at War.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    His books sell because he's always given a big name character plus a superstar artist. He's given two things that skew the results of the double blind taste test for determining whether Coke or Pepsi is better. I mean sales

When he was on Superman, he sold ~50k. Which is where I would put him, truly. Although those stories were actually rather good, save for Our Worlds at War.

Do sales suffer an appreciable drop after he leaves a title?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

Do sales suffer an appreciable drop after he leaves a title?

Superman dropped a bit because they had fill-ins for a while (Geoff Johns was the fill-in, pre superstar era), and there was time to kill before Seagle took over the book. They actually didn't know what to do with the title, as they wanted to put Jim Lee on it but had to give him time.

There was no drop after his X-Men or X-Force runs really.

Batman dropped because it was Jim Lee leaving the book to the 100 Bullets team.

All his other works have really been mini series with no way to determine true drops. Hulk: Grey didn't do as well as Spider-Man: Blue, but that's because Hulk isn't as popular (also, delays).

TexiKen on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Speaking of delays, I really hope Marvel doesn't actually expect New Ultimates to be a monthly book. Especially if this secret project Loeb's doing with Art Adams is the other Ultimate Comics ongoing. Art Adams might be able to keep up but no way in hell can Frank Cho. They're better off just saying New Ultimates is 6 issues a year.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My moment of the week is getting issue #12 of Wolverine: First Class in the mail and seeing on the last page that Peter David is going to try and wreck another light, funny comic I curently read - what makes it great is that I almost re-subscribed but now can avoid it. That was a close one!

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's interesting, you're an Aussie with a subscription. Tell me more! I didn't think that was possible...

I'm curious what else PD has wrecked... do you mean She Hulk?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Am I horrible to think that Norman is actually fairly good at utilizing the Dark Avengers? He doesn't exactly seem to care about the roster, but he seems to understand their utilities, and I think he's leading them fairly well, all things considered.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    That's interesting, you're an Aussie with a subscription. Tell me more! I didn't think that was possible...
    Pretty simple. There's a $14 (us) surcharge for each subscription. Renewing New Avengers just cost me a bit over $50 (not a great exchange rate); not much cheaper than store price, but delivered to your door. Comics show up late, but it makes them a nice surprise when you check your mail. It is interesting in that the comics are always marked as coming via either Germany or New Zealand.

As for PD, man, he tanked She-Hulk so hard for me that it is probably imprinted on my genetic code, to be passed down to my descendants forever.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I can't figure out how Marvel managed to so completely screw the Ultimate Universe in like 10 years that they're reaching for the reset button. It took them at least 30 years to screw up the Main Marvel Universe. At this rate, they'll be reset whole universes at a rate of every 3 issues.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I can't figure out how Marvel managed to so completely screw the Ultimate Universe in like 10 years that they're reaching for the reset button. It took them at least 30 years to screw up the Main Marvel Universe. At this rate, they'll be reset whole universes at a rate of every 3 issues.

Seriously, it astonished me how quickly they were able to fuck up a seriously great initial run. Quality work for the entire first few years and then BAM we're getting fucking Loeb to do a reset? Jesus.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited March 2009
    It all started with Warren Ellis. It all started there with his Extinction trilogy. Those were the first blows. Then Kirkman came on to write himself into the Ultimate Universe and started with the roundhouse kicks. Staggered, Bendis and Bagley did their best to showcase how awesome Ultimate Spidey is by doing 100+ issues. But then Loeb came on Ultimates and finally broke the spine of the Universe, while Aaron Coliette pissed on a defenseless body.

TexiKen on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I actually enjoyed the Extinction trilogy. Marh-vehl was awesome.

Mai-Kero on