As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Omegathon Prize

TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train TripSan Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in PAX Archive
It's probably too early to be thinking about the omegathon prize this year . . . but i came accross this nes collection on ebay . . . . http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110083483658&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting+

it's just like the prize in 05

Now I know the guys want to give out a bigger better prize each year . . . and the car last year was pretty nice . . . but in all seriousness . . . i would rather get a prize like this one than a car . . .

just something to think about I guess

SkOelFN.png
{Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
TimeCruiserMike on

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    No.

SNES collection.

General gaming collection.

All three new consoles, a nice giant collection of games/accessories and a nice big HDTV.

Something like that.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    With all due respect to G&T, Khoo and the rest of the PAX '06 organizers, I hope it's gaming related and not, y'know, a car or something like that in '07.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ctishman wrote:
    With all due respect to G&T, Khoo and the rest of the PAX '06 organizers, I hope it's gaming related and not, y'know, a car or something like that in '07.

I've got to agree with you there. When they first announced it, I knew that if I happened to win I would sell it. But it's got to be hard to come up with something to impress us year after year. I mean we are cynical bastards.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If I had won that car I would have been to paranoid to drive it around. :shock:

Shade on
    edited January 2007
    I bet Leroy sold it ASAP, as I doubt he needs a highly-stealable show car stuffed with electronics as bad as he needs daily transportation. Either that or stripped the cool stuff out of it and put it in his house where it was safely out of sight, and he could actually enjoy it.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I still think it'd be awesome if part of the prize was to get a full tour of an area game company, the oppertunity to maybe meet a higher up like Reggie or the such, and then the chance to be immortalized (so to speak) in a future major release, whether as an extra or secondary character.

I think back to the days of old where robot masters in the megaman titles were creations of contest winners in japan. It'd obviously be tough as all fuck to convince a larger company like Squarenix or Capcom to get on board for a prize like that, there are plenty of smaller devs who attend the show who would likely love the publicity it'd garner, if only with the PAX crowd, and at little to no cost. Pirates of the Burning Sea stands out to me, as does Castle Crashers as games where this kinda thing could work.

It'd just be nice to see a prize that had more value to it than monetary or bling factor. Something memorable and timeless, and for sure (with this whole idea), something that nobody has.

Polago on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just hope the give us something cool like a top end projector or something else neat/geekish that EVERYONE would want.

Maybe something like an arcade machine or two or something else truly epic.

It should be something thats physical, I would say being immortalized in a game isn't nearly as good as something you can touch, taste and feel.

I just hope it isn't a car again this year.

Viscountalpha on
    edited January 2007
    I guess that for all my griping, I'll be happy to see whomever win whatever. I mean, they're giving it away.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited January 2007
    It should be something thats physical, I would say being immortalized in a game isn't nearly as good as something you can touch, taste and feel.

Very true. I wouldn't want the immortalizing stuff to be a standalone prize, but instead part of a larger overall haul.

Polago on
  • StifinStifin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Being immortalized in a game/comic would be cool, but only memorable if it was really major.

An arcade cabinet would be really cool, I've always wanted my own Spyhunter.

An HDTV would be another awesome prize. I agree that it would appeal to a wider group of people. The car was cool but indeed very stealable.

Stifin on
    "The most aesthetically pleasing kick in the balls in the history of modern cinema" -William Goldman

banner.png
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PolaGo wrote:

Very true. I wouldn't want the immortalizing stuff to be a standalone prize, but instead part of a larger overall haul.

But there is something to being immortalized in a game that will be played by possibly millions of other people.

Something tangible would be good too, but you can't buy your way into a videogame very easily.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Trillian wrote:
    PolaGo wrote:

But there is something to being immortalized in a game that will be played by possibly millions of other people.

Something tangible would be good too, but you can't buy your way into a videogame very easily.

Like getting your own role in the PA game?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TNTrooper wrote:
    Trillian wrote:
    PolaGo wrote:

that would be teh awsome

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Big GuyBig Guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know about anybody else, but I would love to be a zombie in Dead Rising 2.

Big Guy on
    Survivor of PAX '06 (BALL!), PAX '07 (Don't be a Dick), PAX '08 (Bad Horse), PAX '09 (H1Nerd1), PAX '10
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    ctishman wrote:
    I bet Leroy sold it ASAP, as I doubt he needs a highly-stealable show car stuffed with electronics as bad as he needs daily transportation. Either that or stripped the cool stuff out of it and put it in his house where it was safely out of sight, and he could actually enjoy it.

He couldn't take it.

Legacy on
    edited January 2007
    TNTrooper wrote:
    Trillian wrote:
    PolaGo wrote:

that would be teh awsome

Not exactly something that couldn't be setup i'm sure, given that it's a PA video game, and Hothead is in Vancouver which is 2 hours from seattle. :D

Polago on
    edited January 2007
    Legacy wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

He couldn't take it.

What? I don't understand.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited January 2007
    ctishman wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

He couldn't take it.

Taxes.

There was a cash alternative though.

Legacy on
    edited January 2007
    Ah, I see.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yeah, definitely should be something gaming related. or a new motorcycle, i'd go for that! if they wanna do something really expensive, maybe they'll give out a playstation 3! XD

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited January 2007
    dyaballikl wrote:
    yeah, definitely should be something gaming related. or a new motorcycle, i'd go for that! if they wanna do something really expensive, maybe they'll give out a playstation 3! XD

*rimshot*

A nice package of all three new consoles, games, accessories and a nice TV would be awesome.

Legacy on
    edited January 2007
    Legacy wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:

*rimshot*

A nice package of all three new consoles, games, accessories and a nice TV would be awesome.

The 108" Sharp LCD, complete with Gabe wang*.

*Lego construct, 1/8th scale.

Polago on
  • strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    as for something gaming related.... what about a spot in PA:OTRSPOD? That would be awesome, but a little minor.

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ctishman wrote:
    oh, come now, everyone knows leroy [jenkins] flies around on his hoverbike!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited January 2007
    as for something gaming related.... what about a spot in PA:OTRSPOD? That would be awesome, but a little minor.
    for those not familiar with the acronym: "on the rainslick precipice of darkness", right? yeah, that would be sweet, but i'd definitely like something tangible.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Legacy wrote: »
    ctishman wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

He couldn't take it.

Taxes.

There was a cash alternative though.

And what a cash alternative it was. I am currently employed because of some of the shit I bought with it.

Though had I been able to afford the taxes, I would've been thrilled with the car, and thought it was more than gamer-y enough for the Omegathon. Plus there's the cool, gameshowish factor of being in the running for a Brand New Car.

Poorochondriac on
    edited February 2007
    Yes sir, there sure is, because you could be leaving PAX in...

bobbarker.jpg
    A NEW CAR!!!!!!

Also, what did you do with the prize money that got you a job?

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ctishman wrote: »
    Yes sir, there sure is, because you could be leaving PAX in...

bobbarker.jpg
    A NEW CAR!!!!!!

lawl!

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited February 2007

Whores. :D

Legacy on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

Whores. :D

Haha, would that I had. I got myself a really nice camera and a computer with which to edit footage. I now freelance film and edit, which is pretty swell.

Poorochondriac on
  • FallFall Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Here's hoping they finally choose some games with formats that are actually competitive. Nearly every round of the previous Omegathons have been with games in formats that aren't actual tests of gaming skill.

If not, then it's a contest, not a competition. Call it what it is.

Fall on
    edited March 2007
    Fall wrote: »
    Here's hoping they finally choose some games with formats that are actually competitive. Nearly every round of the previous Omegathons have been with games in formats that aren't actual tests of gaming skill.

What are you babbling about?

Legacy on
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think he is pissed that the final game isn't counterstrike or condition zero, cuz you know, pong isn't adversarial at all.

teamquiggan on
    edited March 2007
    Seriously, if it doesn't have guns in it, it isn't a game.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    it's Fall everybody!

edit: i'm another one that was a little underwhelmed by the announcement of the car as a prize. It's cool and all, but it didn't seem as.. i guess impressive as the collection that was handed out in the first (first?) year. It might've been of a higher value, but it just didn't make me sit up and go "oooh, wow!" nearly as much.
    And yes, being immortalised in a game in some way would be an awesome piece of the prize. Having a few lines, or a character model (Dead Rising ftw) would be really, really good. I think it's the fact that it's something quite unattainable to the average person that would make it special. No, not everyone can afford to go and buy a car with all that stuff in, but it's effectively there as an available item.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All three new consoles, a nice giant collection of games/accessories and a nice big HDTV.

I agree that this is a really awesome and really fitting prize, but there's a pretty high risk that the winner may own at least 2 of these, given the pool of applicants.
    So, it could be the perfect prize for some people and somewhat "meh" for other.
    I'd take it :lol:

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Maybe if the Omegathon had it's own style of a large prize bank. After the Omegathon, the winner gets first pick at everything (and somehow allotted a certain amount) leaving the runner up to choose from what is remaining. That way an HDTV, consoles, computers, hardware, games and whatever else imaginable would be there for the taking, but the winner can turn certain things down in favor of other things.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd probably have to sell the car just due to the insurance alone it would cost me to keep driving the damn thing.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2007
    Fall wrote: »

What are you babbling about?
    apparently, there's no real competition in guitar hero, mario kart, or even tetris O_o

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Maybe if the Omegathon had it's own style of a large prize bank. After the Omegathon, the winner gets first pick at everything (and somehow allotted a certain amount) leaving the runner up to choose from what is remaining. That way an HDTV, consoles, computers, hardware, games and whatever else imaginable would be there for the taking, but the winner can turn certain things down in favor of other things.

I like this idea. The runner-up definitely deserves a chance at some good stuff too.

FyreWulff on
This discussion has been closed.