As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Team Fortress 2 : Pictograph Edition

• GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Last night iowa proved that the FaN's triple jump does, in fact, have its uses

On Goldrush 1:2 Icemopper and I quite literally killed the defenders twice over as snipers from the corner battlements and then BLAM-BLAM iowa would fly in through the opening and spread our Australian faces across the walls

Also, I'm still finding the "ruined" Sandman pretty useful. It might half damage, but to a halfway competent sniper a stunned support class is still a free kill. And getting behind three stunned guys as a backburner pyro was fantastic.

I imagine the same goes for spy, free kills are always good

GreenPowerRanger on
  • LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JonnyBot wrote: »
    I can vouch for Lagnar. Lagnar is my brah.

All brahs are equal, but some brahs are more equal than others.

Lagnar on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "ruined" Sandman

Wait wha?

Houn on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Stunned folk don't take as much damage.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited March 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    "ruined" Sandman

Wait wha?

They have it so now someone who is stunned takes less damnage, 50% I belive.

Oh and at close range it will bounce off or something along those lines. Well, ive heard this, im yet to actually see it happen.

Lagnar on
    edited March 2009
    That's stupid. It's annoying because you're stunned, not because you take damage while stunned.

Houn on
  • savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But because it's less useful, less scouts will use it and as a result you will get stunned less.

Maybe.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought it was more annoying that you were guaranteed to die in 99% of all cases. Now it's much less.

SithDrummer on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some screenshots from last night:
    Bring me the head of...
    brock.jpg

He flies through the air, into the greatest of death-pits...

lemur.jpg

I'm... not quite sure what that Soldier's doing.

shephard.jpg

Iowa: doing what he does best.

iowa.jpg

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited March 2009
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Some screenshots from last night:
    Bring me the head of...
    brock.jpg

He flies through the air, into the greatest of death-pits...

lemur.jpg

I'm... not quite sure what that Soldier's doing.

shephard.jpg

Iowa: doing what he does best.

iowa.jpg

What was that last map called anyways? I came on whent there was under a minute left and didnt get to do much but it was really fun.

Lagnar on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lagnar wrote: »

What was that last map called anyways? I came on whent there was under a minute left and didnt get to do much but it was really fun.

That was Redfort. It wasn't too bad, for the very first version that was released.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought it was more annoying that you were guaranteed to die in 99% of all cases. Now it's much less.

it also sucks butt

Zek on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't believe any of these stories about last night, 'cause no one was on when I logged on.

No one.

And that made me sad. :cry:

So, I went to a pub server I play on somewhat frequently, and it was a horrible game. So, I blame you guys.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't believe any of these stories about last night, 'cause no one was on when I logged on.

No one.

And that made me sad. :cry:

So, I went to a pub server I play on somewhat frequently, and it was a horrible game. So, I blame you guys.

Steam was down for part of the night, so things would have looked bleak, but they were not, in fact, bleak.

Icemopper on
    edited March 2009
    Zek wrote: »

it also sucks butt
    now they need to make the drawback something less valuable than losing the double jump

the internal, scout-only balance of benefit/drawback for the sandman was originally fine, the problem was its balance with regard to the other classes

now they fixed the second bit but the first is off

SithDrummer on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

it also sucks butt
    now they need to make the drawback something less valuable than losing the double jump

the internal, scout-only balance of benefit/drawback for the sandman was originally fine, the problem was its balance with regard to the other classes

now they fixed the second bit but the first is off

No, the double jump is a good tradeoff given the objective of the weapon. It's supposed to be a major Scout buff when used in maps like Dustbowl/Gold Rush. Giving Scouts double jump back wouldn't change the fact that they're terrible on those maps. They need to make the effect something powerful enough to justify losing the jump. It was balanced before, they just need to make the effect less annoying to the victim.

Zek on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think one way to change it would be to not cut to third person when you are stunned like when taunting. I find that annoying, can't really articulate why though.

The_Scarab on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It was balanced before, they just need to make the effect less annoying to the victim.

I think not automatically dieing is an effect less annoying to the victim.

Ok, so thats a slight exaggeration, but I'd love to see breakdowns of what percentage of scouts use the sandman and on what maps. I think that would go along way to see if there needs to be some tweaking of the tradeoff for the sandman.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And make it so while under the effects of the drink you're still in first person.

Fuga on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kritz, Kritz, You So Fine, You So Fine You Blow My Mind.. Hey Kritz.

pl_goldrush0010-1.jpg

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey guys, there is a password on the IRC channel for a bit. You know what it is.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited March 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    Hey guys, there is a password on the IRC channel for a bit. You know what it is.

There's a PA TF2 IRC channel? When did this happen? Why wasn't I informed?!

Houn on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

it's been in the op for the last 3 threads.

also, fuck the sandman. anything negative done to it is fine in my book.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited March 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

it's been in the op for the last 3 threads.

also, fuck the sandman. anything negative done to it is fine in my book.

I haven't been following the threads since the Great Meat Fortress Locking. >.>

Houn on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    God I hate that Sandman, I'd much prefer that instead of being completely stunned, it would just slow you way down for a short bit.

Dark_Side on
  • WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    God I hate that Sandman, I'd much prefer that instead of being completely stunned, it would just slow you way down for a short bit.
    Why not just make it disorientate the target like the conc grenades in Team Fortress Classic? Maybe make it a bit more exagerated.

At least then the player would have some feeling of control rather than praying the other player misses. Watching myself get killed from third person while I can't do anything is just irritating.

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
    edited March 2009
    Why not just make it disorientate the target like the conc grenades in Team Fortress Classic? Maybe make it a bit more exagerated.

At least then the player would have some feeling of control rather than cussing watching his character get mauled from third person.
    Experienced players were able to compensate for the concussion in TFC, making the grenade solely useful for knocking the guy around and grenade jumping.

SithDrummer on
    edited March 2009

At least then the player would have some feeling of control rather than cussing watching his character get mauled from third person.
    Experienced players were able to compensate for the concussion in TFC, making the grenade solely useful for knocking the guy around and grenade jumping.
    I know, I used to play it a lot. I'm just saying something exagerated like that would be good. Like a drunk effect, maybe make the screen blurry.

WickerBasket on

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Honestly, I don't see how it made it out of valve's testing, did the testers not find it as annoying as we all have? It's cool I guess, and true you can dodge, but sitting there stunned while half the opposing team takes their opportunity shots gets real fucking old.

Dark_Side on
    edited March 2009
    ...testing?

SithDrummer on
  • YontouryuYontouryu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey! Anyone with Friday off should come play some TF2 with us in JonXP's server!

Yontouryu on
    a3968.png
  • martymarty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ...testing?

This may not be a well publicised fact, but Valve actually thought up their concepts and designed them on the day they announced them on the scout updates page. Which explains why the "Release day" feature was soooooo awesome, it's like they knew when to release the patch

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am not sure if it would make it more or less annoying if the sandman just knocked the weapon out of your hands so you couldn't shoot, but could still move.

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yontouryu wrote: »
    Hey! Anyone with Friday off should come play some TF2 with us in JonXP's server!

right now?

GreenPowerRanger on
  • c4tchc4tch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    man so... i hate soldiers...

so recently i've decided to embrace the hatred, and spread my experienced misery to others.

soldier in this way is quite, quite fun. If you can get a medic to cover your ass you can go on some tremendous killing sprees.

There was one push I played earlier today on granary taking back the middle cp when I must have killed seven of the opposite team in a row, back to back.

"oh hi let me slay 60% of their forces, please get on point coward baby magets."

so fun.

c4tch on
    League of Legends: firecane
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    TechBoy wrote: »
    RCagent wrote: »
    Anyone with some technical skills want to explain why whenever I click on refresh all on the server listing my internet goes and I have to reset my modem again?

Normally I wouldn't give such a detailed, pedantic response, but you asked for technical...
    Gnomes

zwjdlj.gif

Fuck you guys. Stop blaming gnomes!

Bruce Forsyth on
    edited March 2009
    sometimes it just takes a while for my server list to refresh after i click the button, but nothing like my modem needing to be reset...

but i do have the problem of having numerous servers on my favorites list that just don't show up when i click refresh, and I have no idea why

c4tch on
    edited March 2009
    c4tch wrote: »
    man so... i hate soldiers...

so recently i've decided to embrace the hatred, and spread my experienced misery to others.

soldier in this way is quite, quite fun. If you can get a medic to cover your ass you can go on some tremendous killing sprees.

There was one push I played earlier today on granary taking back the middle cp when I must have killed seven of the opposite team in a row, back to back.

"oh hi let me slay 60% of their forces, please get on point coward baby magets."

so fun.
    I don't know why but the bolded part made me smile.

WickerBasket on

edited March 2009
    now that your avatar is animated... it makes so much more sense, wicker

for the longest time I thought that it was a dual-handle bonesaw with a funny end or something.

c4tch on
  • YontouryuYontouryu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yontouryu wrote: »

right now?

Yes

Yontouryu on
    a3968.png
This discussion has been closed.