As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Druids: If only Dorothy had gotten her PvP trinket.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jesus that's a lot of ap and with...a staff of beasts?

If so, you really ought to get the fleshling simulation staff from the netherstorm quest line.

Where's most of your gear from?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • focused7focused7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm sitting at 2150 AP with just MoW and pretty much all my gear is from questing. It isn't horribly hard to do. Just have to shop around.

focused7 on
    edited February 2007
    Hrmph. My druid is 70 and I've got 28% crit and about 1950 attack power. Now, I've done almost none of the netherstorm and shadowmoon quests, but those rewards aren't going to give me 200-300 AP are they?

Septus on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I definitely need more strength on my druid as right now I think I have more agility than strength, but I think that will come from doing more quests rather than anything else. I'm 64 and wearing a bunch of the "of the bandit" gear right now. I'm at about 1500 AP though which isn't so bad.

shadowane on
    edited February 2007
    shadowane wrote: »
    I definitely need more strength on my druid as right now I think I have more agility than strength, but I think that will come from doing more quests rather than anything else. I'm 64 and wearing a bunch of the "of the bandit" gear right now. I'm at about 1500 AP though which isn't so bad.

Hah, quest gear is also 90% agility or flat AP based.

Septus on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Jesus that's a lot of ap and with...a staff of beasts?

If so, you really ought to get the fleshling simulation staff from the netherstorm quest line.

Where's most of your gear from?

Let's see...I see trueshot aura up there, and I think priests spirit buff gives damage/attack power if priests have talents in it. His well fed status might be those tubers you get on Oronok in Shadowmoon. That's at least 200 AP right there.

Javen on
    edited February 2007
    Nah, Imp. Divine Spirit just gives 10% spirit as +dmg/healing, nothing else. And kings is probably giving him at least another 150 AP. At least.

edit: Isn't trueshot aura like 200 AP by itself?
    edit2: With kings, 20 Str, and trueshot aura, he's probably getting around 350-400 extra AP.

shadowane on
    edited February 2007
    shadowane wrote: »
    Nah, Imp. Divine Spirit just gives 10% spirit as +dmg/healing, nothing else. And kings is probably giving him at least another 150 AP. At least.

edit: Isn't trueshot aura like 200 AP by itself?
    edit2: With kings, 20 Str, and trueshot aura, he's probably getting around 350-400 extra AP.
    That would still be 500 base strength, which is probably 130 more than I have.

Septus on
  • CaptHighSpeedCaptHighSpeed Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i forgot about trueshot :x but its like 126 ap or something at 70.

i'm using the second sight helm from the teron gorefiend quest line in SMV, the fel leather shoulders, the necklace from a blade's edge chain, pants from the rexxar chain, my staff of the beasts has savagery on it (i'm an enchanter :) ), alchemist's stone, overseer's signet, hourglass of the unraveller, the master's treads, kirin'var scout's belt, wastewander gloves, some green bracers of the bear, chestguard of the talon, nomad's woven cloak...

with just a mark i have 2206 AP and 30.25% to crit, 97 hit rating. i'm looking forward to when we have more than one pally in the raid and an enhancement shaman in my group with a fury warrior and hunter :)

i've kind of quit playing my druid for the time being, everyone in my guild is giving me shit about being overpowered :/ so i'm leveling my rogue and i'll just rock the dmg meters that way.

CaptHighSpeed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm finally picking up my old druid that I played to 45 and then abandoned in disgust back in late October. Things seem a lot less aggravating now than they were back then (it may just have been that I didn't have a clue what I was doing back then), so I might make an effort to seriously level him again.

However, now that bear tanking is all the craze, as a feral druid I know I'll eventually be asked to tank for an instance (that is, if I'm not being asked to fake it as a healer), and I really don't know how to do that. At all. Never played a warrior above 15 or so, and I never spent any significant amount of time in bear form levelling up to this point. Anyone interested in giving a cliff's notes version of Bear Tanking 101?

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Charus wrote: »
    I'm finally picking up my old druid that I played to 45 and then abandoned in disgust back in late October. Things seem a lot less aggravating now than they were back then (it may just have been that I didn't have a clue what I was doing back then), so I might make an effort to seriously level him again.

However, now that bear tanking is all the craze, as a feral druid I know I'll eventually be asked to tank for an instance (that is, if I'm not being asked to fake it as a healer), and I really don't know how to do that. At all. Never played a warrior above 15 or so, and I never spent any significant amount of time in bear form levelling up to this point. Anyone interested in giving a cliff's notes version of Bear Tanking 101?

Use Str and Sta gear. Charge -> Mangle -> Swipe -> Mangle -> Repeat.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited February 2007
    Uhh, you have to use maul too otherwise you are going to be doing nothing for 5 seconds at a time. Plus you'd be completely unable to use all your rage. And for single targets I tend to maul/mangle and ignore swipe as it just uses up rage that you could use towards maul.

shadowane on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Since you said your druid is level 45 and thus won't have access to mangle yet, I figure I'll mention that feral faerie fire adds threat, and is free except for the global cooldown. Pre-BC bear tanking always made use of this. Maul, FFF, swipe... Also it's often useful to toss a HoT on yourself before pulling, which gives your healer a bit of breathing room and adds a small amount of healing aggro for you as you start to take damage.

riz on
    edited February 2007
    Demo Roar is also good for adding some extra threat. A good way to pick up a little aggro on all the mobs at the start of the pull. If mangle is on CD and maul is cued already I'll hit swipe and demo roar for some extra hate.

focused7 on
    edited February 2007
    Yeah I'm terrible. I often forget about demo roar and the AoE taunt thing.

shadowane on
    edited February 2007
    My usual pull goes something like this:

Farie Fire to pull to me -> Demo Roar -> lacerate 2x (dps target) -> Maul -> swipe -> Demo Roar -> start tab lacerating, swiping and roar spamming

I spam FF and Mangle as cooldowns permit.

I usually don't open with charge. I like to save it for if I need it to recover after a fear or if I need to get to a mob off a healer/DPS who runs away instead of bringing it too me.

focused7 on
    edited February 2007
    Yeah I don't usually start with charge since all it does is eat some rage. Why start with Lacerate? As far as I've read, it isn't as much rage as maul/mangle and more useful as a rage dump as a result.

shadowane on
    edited February 2007
    Maul only affects your next auto attack and mangle is on a 6 second cooldown. What do you do in the mean time?

I haven't seen exact numbers (not sure anyone really knows yet). But isn't lacerate supposed to be just under a warriors sunder in threat? Mangle and swipe only cause as much threat as damage they do (well more with talents).

My little diagram doesn't do much justice to my method.

Usually I'll spam swipe a bit if I really need some extra rage (whoo hoo primal fury). Other then that I prefer tab lacerating to swipe.

focused7 on
    edited February 2007
    Actually, I'm betting you mangle first, queue maul, then start lacerating and you just didn't mention it. That's what I will do once I get lacerate.

edit: I'm not really sure how much threat lacerate is. Not sure anyone is right now.

shadowane on
    edited February 2007
    Sadly I don't usually have 35 rage to start most pulls so I know I can't mangle and have a maul lined up. Which reminds me with the amount of tanking I've been doing I really need to look into respeccing to pick up intensity.

focused7 on
    edited February 2007
    Well, I start pulls with at least 20 rage (furor + enrage) and if you queue maul, then use mangle, generally you've gained 5 rage before the maul goes off and actually takes the 10 rage it costs. But yeah if you don't have enough rage then it doesn't work so well.

shadowane on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    riz wrote: »

Since you said your druid is level 45 and thus won't have access to mangle yet, I figure I'll mention that feral faerie fire adds threat, and is free except for the global cooldown. Pre-BC bear tanking always made use of this. Maul, FFF, swipe... Also it's often useful to toss a HoT on yourself before pulling, which gives your healer a bit of breathing room and adds a small amount of healing aggro for you as you start to take damage.

I'm fairly sure you don't get aggro for HoTing a tank before he aggros.

Unless of course they changed it for BC.

I tested it a long time ago and I am sure you didn't get aggro from it then.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Derrick wrote: »

Prior to healing ticks, it does generate a tiny amount of buffing aggro. It's so small that you'll almost never notice it, though. The only time it'd be an issue is if your tank ran into a group and took no action at all (no bloodrage, no charge, etc.) and then you HoT'd him.

Dehumanized on
  • CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the help, all.

I do have another question, kind of related: As a DPSer, is there a specific visual cue I should be looking for that lets me know that the bear tank has a good lock on the aggro (like looking for that second sunder to show up with a warrior tank), or should I just give the druid a few seconds of alone time with the mobs before opening up and trust he has things sorted out?

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    The best visual warning you'd get is waiting for a lacerate or two to show up.

It really doesn't matter, though... if your bear tank is decent, they'll have the aggro early and hard.

Dehumanized on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

You're not getting aggro from the heals before the pull, you're at full health, but if the HoT is ticking once mobs hit you, you are healing yourself, and that's aggro...

riz on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    Very very big nerfs in the newest patch. Check out the thread here for notes.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited February 2007

You're not getting aggro from the heals before the pull, you're at full health, but if the HoT is ticking once mobs hit you, you are healing yourself, and that's aggro...

Back when I tested it I hotted my friend, he then aggroed a mob by hitting it once with his fist.

I didn't pull aggro.

They may have changed it, but that's the way it used to work.

Derrick on
    edited February 2007

Back when I tested it I hotted my friend, he then aggroed a mob by hitting it once with his fist.

I didn't pull aggro.

Have your friend body pull a mob, then cast the HoT on him after the mob aggros. You should pull aggro before a single tick of healing has gone through.

Dehumanized on
    edited February 2007

I didn't pull aggro.

Have your friend body pull a mob, then cast the HoT on him after the mob aggros. You should pull aggro before a single tick of healing has gone through.

The whole point is to cast it before he aggros.

Derrick on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey look, they nerfed us.

Pretty hard actually.

Also, I am not healing warriors anymore :)

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited February 2007

I didn't pull aggro.

The whole point is to cast it before he aggros.

Yes. But that doesn't mean that casting a HoT doesn't generate some initial threat on the cast. You simply aren't on the threat list of the mob at time of cast, so no threat can be generated on said mob.

Dehumanized on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Okay, everyone can shut the fuck up about overpowered druids, now.

Javen on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Now we can start bitching again! YAY!

zilo on
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, the nerfs piss me off. Simple as that.

Toldo on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Posting this here for easier conversation.
    Druids
    - The rage normalization equation has been adjusted to grant more rage.
    The typical player should see an increase of 15% to 20% in their
    rage generation.
    - When the duration of "Cyclone" ends, area buffs such as "Leader of
    the Pack", "Tree of Life", and "Moonkin" will now be correctly
    resumed.
    - "Feral Charge" now removes all snaring effects.
    - "Bear Form" now grants 25% increased stamina instead of 25% increased
    health.
    - "Dire Bear Form" now grants 25% increased stamina instead of 25%
    increased health. In addition, the armor bonus has been reduced from
    450% to 400%.
    - The multiplier on base weapon damage for "Mangle (Bear)" ability has
    been changed from 130% to 100%. In addition, the bonus damage has
    been reduced by the same ratio.
    - "Savage Fury" no longer affects "Mangle (Bear)".
    - "Savage Fury" no longer applies to "Maul" or "Swipe".
    - The critical damage bonus on "Predatory Instincts" reduced from
    3/6/9/12/15% to 2/4/6/8/10%.
    - "Improved Leader of the Pack" can no longer get critical heals.
    - The armor bonus from "Moonkin Form" has been increased from 360% to
    400% (to match Dire Bear Form).

Savage Fury: So, it's going to affect Claw and Rake only from now. The only reason I got it was because it affected Maul. We better get those points refunded or I'll be pissed.

reVerse on
    edited February 2007
    It still affects white hits in bear form.

So I guess it has a function when you are auto-attacking because you lack the rage to Maul.

Whee overnerfs.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Uh, the rage generation was increased, wasn't it?

reVerse on
    edited February 2007
    reVerse wrote: »
    Uh, the rage generation was increased, wasn't it?
    Yes, but the talent was made fuck-all useful.

Warriors have a lot of skill available for aggro, dps, etc. The don't have to rely on the (now) small pool of options druids have. This means talents like Unbridled Wrath work better because they're getting in more white hits.

With the heavy damage nerf to Mangle and threat nerfs to Swipe, you are stuck with two options:

Lacerate, which doesn't crit.

Maul, which doesn't proc the rage gain anymore.

So what? Maul consumes you auto-attack.. You cannot GET white crits because Maul is REPLACING it. This means that, to make the talent worth the points, you have to stick to Lacerate and Mangle or Swipe every so often. With the decreased druid damage comes decreased threat, meaning you can't simply do nothing but Lacerate and auto-attack.

It means this: as far as bear form is concern, the talent is of very dubious use now. If you want to dps, go for it...but I bet a lot of tanking druids will simply pass on it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited February 2007
    Savage Fury does affect Cat Mangle though.

shadowane on
This discussion has been closed.