As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Team Fortress 2 : Pictograph Edition

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RCagent wrote: »
    Anyone with some technical skills want to explain why whenever I click on refresh all on the server listing my internet goes and I have to reset my modem again?

This is a real response, and is likely more detailed than you care to know. However, you asked.
    When you refresh the server listing here is what happens:
    1. Your computer asks the Steam servers for a list of IP addresses that meet your filter requirements
    2. Your computer takes all these IPs and puts them in a list
    3. One at a time, your computer sends a small piece of information to each IP
    4. Each IP replies with the server name, population, and a few other things

The amount of information transferred is actually pretty small, even though you're sending out thousands of these packets. The issue is that they are all going to separate addresses. If you think about your router like a post office, it can easily handle sending very large packages or many letters, to several houses at a time. However, if you suddenly task your post office with sending letters to hundreds of thousands of houses, they run out of space to organize and send all the mail, and things go south fast.

Essentially this is what is happening to your hardware. For each UDP packet sent out, your router (and modem sometimes) has to say "OK, I sent something out to that address, and from this port. I need to remember to forward incoming replies from that address for the next n seconds to the right computer." If your router runs out of memory for all that, it just crashes. There's no way for it to recover nicely from that.

Unfortunately, I do not know of a cvar that throttles the rate at which you send pings, so I'm afraid you may just need to not use the main browser, or use the filters first.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    yep. filters are key. why would you want a list of passworded servers? youre not getting in anyway

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i can never hit shit as a sniper, even when i play around with my interp and such

DOT ON MAN BULLET MISS FUCK SHIT DIE

SithDrummer on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You need the skills that Flippy pays with...the bills......yar

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • H@\/0CH@\/0C Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yontouryu wrote: »
    Hey! Anyone with Friday off should come play some TF2 with us in JonXP's server!

If you guys are still there in roughly an hour from now, I'll be there.

H@\/0C on
  • JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i can never hit shit as a sniper, even when i play around with my interp and such

DOT ON MAN BULLET MISS FUCK SHIT DIE

I find it helps to slightly lead the target and let them run into your dot. Unless it is a sniper. I can't help you with that because I suck at fighting other snipers.

JonnyBot on
    edited March 2009
    I'll try that. I also think I should try that script that makes you fire on releasing mouse1 instead of clicking it. Seems like I always fire too late when I track someone.

SithDrummer on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    shooting other snipers is the easiest because they stand still or move very slowly

tofu on
  • JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Right, but I suck at fighting them because I lead my targets. So my natural reflex is to let them walk into my dot. They shoot me before that happens.

JonnyBot on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    shooting other snipers is the easiest because they stand still or move very slowly

Yeah, shooting snipers is much more a game of position and timing, (as in timing when you move out from cover, etc.)

Dark_Side on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I suck at aiming so

tofu on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm still surprised I even managed to accumulate 2 hours of being sniper.

JJ on
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    c4tch wrote: »
    man so... i hate soldiers...

so recently i've decided to embrace the hatred, and spread my experienced misery to others.

soldier in this way is quite, quite fun. If you can get a medic to cover your ass you can go on some tremendous killing sprees.

There was one push I played earlier today on granary taking back the middle cp when I must have killed seven of the opposite team in a row, back to back.

"oh hi let me slay 60% of their forces, please get on point coward baby magets."

so fun.

Now all you need to do is use your entrenching tool on a couple of snipers and you're all set.

Roland_tHTG on
  • c4tchc4tch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Now all you need to do is use your entrenching tool on a couple of snipers and you're all set.

LOL :lol:

actually I did have a moment where I frustratingly could not seem to kill this engie while I was ubered, ran out of rockets, then proceeded to just beat him with a shovel and then beat his sentry until it exploded - that was fun.

c4tch on
    League of Legends: firecane
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't see how it made it out of valve's testing, did the testers not find it as annoying as we all have?

o_O

Hockey Johnston on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sorry had to jet after that last round. Good games though. I haven't had time to play in a while so that was a nice pick me up. Being able to toast a few people because my team already had 2 medics in the first game was a nice change but i tend to do much better when i can just hide around a corner with a heavy on a leash.

Good times. Hope i have some more free time soon so i can get back to the killing

initiatefailure on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd suck DualEdge off for his ability

true story

Zen Vulgarity on
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd suck DualEdge off for his ability

true story

I'd even give a reacharound.

IvanIssacs on
    edited March 2009
    I'll try that. I also think I should try that script that makes you fire on releasing mouse1 instead of clicking it. Seems like I always fire too late when I track someone.

you know you dont need to hold down fire to charge right?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited March 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

What I'm saying is that I might prefer it that way

SithDrummer on
    edited March 2009

the old ways are dead. let them rest in peace.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I find I often have to shoot behind where I see my target. I don't know if it's something with the lag comp or what, but changing my settings never seemed to affect it, so I just had to adjust.

Mars on
    edited March 2009

the old ways are dead. let them rest in peace.
    Clicking takes too long! My default finger position is holding the button down! I'm a doctor, not a sniper dammit!

SithDrummer on
  • Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't remember the last time the servers were full at 4 on a friday! I guess I will have to wait.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    You might prefer holding down fire for like 2 minutes straight or any time you want to heal someone?

That's just ludicrous. More work, for no benefit.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited March 2009
    You might prefer holding down fire for like 2 minutes straight or any time you want to heal someone?

if you are standing around looking through your scope for two minutes straight then you are a dope

rhyme time!

SithDrummer on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    if you are standing around looking through your scope for two minutes straight then you are a dope

rhyme time!
    haha yesss my vest is the best cause i'm a pest of your face. dude.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Sith... tell me how to do that when you get it to work. Also tell me if it works for you.

And you know, Rak, I've always used the default healing. I tried the other way and I can't switch targets fast enough. HOLDIN' DAT SHIT DOWN 420 ERRDAY.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

What he's saying is that ALL the [strike]good better best [/strike] betterest medics hold the key. Only the lazy ones don't.

Roland_tHTG on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

What he's saying is that ALL the [strike]good better best [/strike] betterest medics hold the key. Only the lazy ones don't.

I honestly didn't even know there was another option... huh the things you learn

initiatefailure on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    People who play medics are masochists.

Who knew!?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    We don't just heal our teammates. We take in their pain and embrace it!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    new medicgun unlock: heals twice as fast but damages the medic when healing actual damage (not overheal)

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
    edited March 2009
    So, kills you twice as fast? :P

SithDrummer on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    At a fixed, slow rate; not based on the amount of health healed.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • IngramIngram there was only Rage Kage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Sith... tell me how to do that when you get it to work. Also tell me if it works for you.

And you know, Rak, I've always used the default healing. I tried the other way and I can't switch targets fast enough. HOLDIN' DAT SHIT DOWN 420 ERRDAY.

Agreed tho I am terrible, and a terrible, medic.
    Mouse One Mash also works wonders for Pyro and Heavy. (ezmode & neverstopfiring in that order)

Ingram on
    jswidget.php?username=ingram_&numitems=9&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    People who play medics are masochists.

Who knew!?

Untrue. Medics come in many shapes, sizes and flavors!

Many of the most vocal medics are not really masochists, but rather what I like to call Damsels In Distress. They're usually the ones who cling to their team mates and make shrill bleating noises when exposed to danger. Desperately searching for love and acceptance in a world that knows only pain, they cower before opponents who hold a more Darwinian view on the finer points of success.

The rest are god damned bonesaw ninjas and should be approached with a side of raw beef in hand, lest they mistake you for food.

Twelve foot long bonesaws god damn.

Seriously where do they get those things.

Gah.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I remember in a thread many moons ago someone had a script to do the opposite of how the normal heal settings work, ie. when you press the button it stops healing, and when it's released it's constantly trying to heal. Does anyone still have that? Digging through dozens of threads is time that I could be using to play the tuftoo.

The sticky heal valve put in is annoying when it breaks as you go around a corner and doesn't reacquire a target.

Woggle on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Basil wrote: »

Twelve foot long bonesaws god damn.

Seriously where do they get those things.

Gah.

Quick, somebody! Light the Zoidberg signal!

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am so bad at this game, but I finall got the 3rd scout unlock. So now I won't be playing as my worst class as much.
    I still need to get 2 more heavy achievements for the boxing gloves though =\

tehmarken on
This discussion has been closed.