As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter IV! I want to be the very best, like noone ever was!

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Svevin wrote: »
    James Dekk wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8swsuJMpsgQ

Here's a video of my lag hacks squashing DSP.

Oh god, that just made my day *HIGH FIVE*

First he complains about a "scubby" Zangief landing "laggy 360s" and beating his Blanka, and now he complains that he can't play Zangief because of lag?

I still can't believe this guy plays at EVO. WAAHHHH WAHHHHHH

Seriously though, stop with the lag hacks Dekk, I know that's how you beat me in the tournament D:

Very nice boxer play. I kinda feel sorry for that DSP guy. You can just hear when he talks that he hates his life. It's time he moved out of his parent's house and get this worked up over something more important than a videogame.

Man, it's gotten to the point where this guy is so pathetic that I just hope it's all a big joke and dakk set this up. Is there some symptom that we can blame his cry baby behavior on? Aspergers maybe?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8swsuJMpsgQ

Here's a video of my lag hacks squashing DSP.

Oh god, that just made my day *HIGH FIVE*

First he complains about a "scubby" Zangief landing "laggy 360s" and beating his Blanka, and now he complains that he can't play Zangief because of lag?

I still can't believe this guy plays at EVO. WAAHHHH WAHHHHHH

Seriously though, stop with the lag hacks Dekk, I know that's how you beat me in the tournament D:

Very nice boxer play. I kinda feel sorry for that DSP guy. You can just hear when he talks that he hates his life. It's time he moved out of his parent's house and get this worked up over something more important than a videogame.

Man, it's gotten to the point where this guy is so pathetic that I just hope it's all a big joke and dakk set this up. Is there some symptom that we can blame his cry baby behavior on? Aspergers maybe?

20040319h.jpg

Houn on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As true now as it ever was.

Shitcocks.

:lol:

chamberlain on
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Who wants to street fight my Gouken in training? I want to mix it up from Sagat and Abel.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • James DekkJames Dekk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I wouldn't be surprised. He has some videos up of him playing in person with a few other people and he sounds really awkward and uncomfortable. I mean, playing the amount of video games he does and posting videos of all of it to the internet sounds like a tell-tale sign of Aspergers to me.

Anyway, lag or not, I don't lose to 'Giefs so he couldn't have possibly won. :P

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
    edited March 2009

I wouldn't be surprised. He has some videos up of him playing in person with a few other people and he sounds really awkward and uncomfortable. I mean, playing the amount of video games he does and posting videos of all of it to the internet sounds like a tell-tale sign of Aspergers to me.

Anyway, lag or not, I don't lose to 'Giefs so he couldn't have possibly won. :P

But laggy SPD is unstoppable! All he has to do is jump in and SPD you!

TheStig on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    Who wants to street fight my Gouken in training? I want to mix it up from Sagat and Abel.

Hey, I'm trying to learn Gouken too, wanna get some mirror matches in and share tips?

maraxus94 on
    edited March 2009
    Sure thing, just shoot me an invite or w.e... im just training with him at the moment

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    sagat's fake kick shouldn't even exist... why does it? in order to do it consistently you need turbo (easiest way to do it btw).

im thinking i might finally pick up someone else besides ryu/ken and sagat... i want someone different enough too, so not sakura... currently im going through chun li's hard trials. i think i might give her a try. she seems fun to play.

i might give blanka a try too... i generally hate the fucker, but lately with SF4, ive taken a bit of a liking to him.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dav3yb wrote: »
    sagat's fake kick shouldn't even exist... why does it? in order to do it consistently you need turbo (easiest way to do it btw).

I don't think it's very useful, but I guess you could use it against twitchy opponents to bait unsafe moves on block, or to bait wakeup attacks.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Banshee wrote: »

I don't think it's very useful, but I guess you could use it against twitchy opponents to bait unsafe moves on block, or to bait wakeup attacks.

Yea it's a much less effective feign then C.Viper or El Fuerte can employee.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Grammaton ClericGrammaton Cleric Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Snare wrote: »
    Does anyone else find themselves losing to the flowchart kinda people every so often?

Sometimes I can rip through a good few games and punish these Ken, Sagat and Akumas but sometimes they get lucky, is it down to trying too hard on my part?

Sometimes when I'm playing as Ken I'll throw a few random hp shoryukens from safe distance to give the illusion of "flowchart". You can get away with a ton of easy wakeup throws, because everyone is blocking for the expected shoryuken.

It's also a tactic that's worked on me alot too.

Grammaton Cleric on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    its also ridiculously hard to pull off for no reason, which limits its usefulness too. i doubt most people would even notice if you were fake kicking at them trying to fake them out.

Ah_Pook on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So for those who have tons of BP, what fighters do you face the most in the upper ranks?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
    edited March 2009
    i have 3000-3500ish and you face a lot of sagat, ken, ryu and akuma with sprinklings of other people thrown in every once in a while.

Ah_Pook on
    edited March 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    its also ridiculously hard to pull off for no reason, which limits its usefulness too. i doubt most people would even notice if you were fake kicking at them trying to fake them out.

Yeah, and what are they going to do, block for .2 seconds? You really got em there.

Pook, I made it to cammy no.5 trial... hold me :(

cannon strike > HP > cannon spike > FADC > cannon spike > FADC (in the other direction!) > ultra.

TheStig on
    edited March 2009
    haha nice

Ah_Pook on
  • LapineLapine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I find that a Ken that just randomly alternates between fierce dragon punches, throws, and focus attacks is surprisingly dangerous and effective. And they only need 3 buttons!

Lapine on
    PSN: Lapine
    edited March 2009
    New icon/title combo. Rabbit icon with viper's "Gadget User" title.

TheStig on
    edited March 2009
    is that a vibrator reference or are you just happy to see me?

Ah_Pook on
  • Tooter-FishTooter-Fish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there somewhere that has definitions of all these terms you guys are using?

wake up, whiff, SPD, flowchart Ken, PPP, etc..

Tooter-Fish on
    edited March 2009
    heres a list

wake up - when your character is getting up from a knockdown
    whiff - miss
    SPD - spinning pile driver
    flowchart ken - a predictable, horrible ken player who spams fierce shoryukens all over the place and is generally worthless and annoying. you meet a lot of these online.
    PPP - all three punch buttons at the same time

Ah_Pook on
    edited March 2009
    wow, holy fuck, chun li's last hard trial...

i hit everything except the ultra TWICE... damn... finally got it though... wow

i hate these things... so impractical

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
    edited March 2009

Yeah, and what are they going to do, block for .2 seconds? You really got em there.

Pook, I made it to cammy no.5 trial... hold me :(

cannon strike > HP > cannon spike > FADC > cannon spike > FADC (in the other direction!) > ultra.

That's a beautiful combo. Not that hard to pull off either, maybe except for the canon strike.

wow, holy fuck, chun li's last hard trial...

i hit everything except the ultra TWICE... damn... finally got it though... wow

i hate these things... so impractical

yeah I kept missing the ultra too, until I realized you need to do it very late.

Once you get the distance right for the ex fireball -> EX focus stun, it's not that hard.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So for those who have tons of BP, what fighters do you face the most in the upper ranks?

3500, shit ton of turtle rogs and lots of Ryu's. Blanka and Gief are also very popular. Neither tend to know how to play their character well, it's mostly just ball spam and lariat/SPD spam. Surprisingly effective at this BP level.

aBlank on
  • SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'm in the 1400ish range, and the people i run into the most are: Blanka, Ryu, Ken, and Guile

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
    edited March 2009
    aBlank wrote: »

3500, shit ton of turtle rogs and lots of Ryu's. Blanka and Gief are also very popular. Neither tend to know how to play their character well, it's mostly just ball spam and lariat/SPD spam. Surprisingly effective at this BP level.

oh yea i forgot, you get a lot of boxers too. not nearly as many as sagat and ryu, but hes up there.

Ah_Pook on
    edited March 2009

oh yea i forgot, you get a lot of boxers too. not nearly as many as sagat and ryu, but hes up there.

Am I the only one that finds most Rog players between 1500-2500 use their charge attacks from far? It's so easy to beat I just bait them and stuff the charge with a jab combo or jab tick throw/SPD.

The good Rogs are the aggressive ones that use their charge moves in block strings, but I haven't met many. Their BPs must be too high. :p

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New icon/title combo. Rabbit icon with viper's "Gadget User" title.
    :winky: Hahaha, nice one. I am currently rocking the snake icon and Balrog's "Can't Kick" title.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Am I the only one that finds most Rog players between 1500-2500 use their charge attacks from far? It's so easy to beat I just bait them and stuff the charge with a jab combo or jab tick throw/SPD.

The good Rogs are the aggressive ones that use their charge moves in block strings, but I haven't met many. Their BPs must be too high. :p

Rog in general gives me trouble, but I have more trouble with the turtle rogs on my Vega than the hyper aggressive ones. The aggressive ones tend to leave more openings for me to mix shit up. A turtle rog can just sit in down-back and becomes basically an impenetrable wall. Blanka can do this really well too against my Vega :( ... again, I fair better against aggressive Blanka's than turtles.

aBlank on
  • thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I think a lot of Rog players get to that level simply from using charge attack and then alternating between the low and the overhead punches. I fought a couple that just did that and I got caught a couple times because I was a turtle-ish Guile.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
    edited March 2009
    links are the dumbest fucking to ever be introduced into this game...

dav3yb on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't for the life of me do the QCF QCF + KKK ultras on any consistent basis. Part of me wants to blame it on the 360 controller, but I don't know.

I just keep throwing out tiger knees and fireballs in games.

Here I am in training and I haven't done one in 5 minutes of trying. How sad is that?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

nope they lead to sweet combos and mixups

Ranced on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You're aware they were introduced in 1991 though, right?

wonderpug on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wonderpug wrote: »

You're aware they were introduced in 1991 though, right?

18 years of dumbest things ever!

... or something.

Trust me, when you get the timing down they actually flow pretty naturally.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wonderpug we should be able to do our match later on tonight

i'll send you a message if anything

Ranced on
    edited March 2009
    My first online ranked match with Gouken was against Dhalsim. Perfected him almost twice. lol

Oh yeah and links seperate the higher skilled players from the normal ones. And i am i still average. Links are silly rabbits

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ranced wrote: »

Nah, I agree. They are there only to make things harder. If you play Tatsunoko vs Capcom, you can do similar looking combos to link combos by just pressing the button within a certain amount of time. I mean, really, if you press a button, you expect something to happen. If you make all the combos easier to do, the game is less about execution and more about strategy, but is having the outcome be a result of who has the better strategy really such a bad thing?

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ranced wrote: »

Nah, I agree. They are there only to make things harder. If you play Tatsunoko vs Capcom, you can do similar looking combos to link combos by just pressing the button within a certain amount of time. I mean, really, if you press a button, you expect something to happen. If you make all the combos easier to do, the game is less about execution and more about strategy, but is having the outcome be a result of who has the better strategy really such a bad thing?

We already had a pretty deep discussion (argument?) about this a while back, I don't think we need to go through it again.

House of Paincakes on