As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EVE War News

Boot2TheHeadBoot2TheHead Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
I'm hoping I can make a thread for EVE that is specifically about the war. It'll probably be yanked by the mods. The EVE ON thread has lots of people asking about how to train their character and such and only some news about the war.

So please share your reports from the front if you got em.

Boot2TheHead on

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hi, my name is Dusda and I approve of this thread.

Seriously, I'd like a news-only thread. I love reading about the war.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    From the Mittani on SHC, responding to POS talk about LV:
    We did this intentionally. Force them to online towers through all their space with seemingly ineffective scattered attacks, keep them fuelled for weeks on end, and then hit them hard when their logisticians are burned out and miserable, preferably at 4am on a work night each time. Eventually they broke and fucked up, which was inevitable. Then everyone in LV blamed them for the fuck up, which added to the death spiral. Seeing Velios try to take responibility for Ale Tricio's timing and censoring anyone complaining about the JV1V disaster was icing on the cake.

StormyWaters on
  • EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    War's going to be fairly boring from the Redswarm vs LV side for a few weeks. I'm not seeing any fight at all from LV, and the Redswarm ops I've been on have been chewing up POS's with literally zero resistance.

BOB vs D2 sounds interesting, and it sounds like LV managed a win against CA yesterday, but overall, not much going on in the south, just systematic system clearing.

EQDuffy on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Can someone take advantage of this lull and provide a recap for those of us on the sidelines of what all went down over the last several weeks?

Things like who started it and why, what territories have been gained and lost, and highlights of the more spectacular battles?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited February 2007
    I haven't been at any of the big LV/Goon fights, but here's the two ops I have been on:

Op 1. Joined up in a 180 man fleet, we were going to support a 100 man RA fleet of dreads that were sieging POSes by camping a gate so LV couldn't get to the RA dreads. No hostiles for an hour, Remedial asked for 40 or so people to stay, and had a noobie Goon take FC and lead us off in search of LV. The guy was dreadllama, was moderately drunk, away we went. Get to our destination, nothing. Everyone starts spamming 'jv1v' as our next destination, which at the time was full of enemies. So dreadllama gets permission to go there, but is so drunk he can't manage to call gates green. Another guy took over travel boss, and we end up going into jv1v with 100 people, mostly frigates/cruisers, vs the LV camp. Dreadllama proceeds to call primaries horribly, because he couldn't figure out how to pronounce names :P Everyone died, but the RA dreads accomplished their goal.

Op 2. Another big fleet, ended up 161 at final encounter-we went in search of LV, couldn't find them. Kept travelling farther and farther, and ended up camping BoB's home system for a bit. Found out there was a fight between D2 and BoB in y-2 or y2-, about 10 jumps off, so went up there. Got the green light to jump in, over 3 minutes later the traffic control let us in. I lagwarped out, but there was a D2 bubble on gate, and as people decloaked BoB's minmatar titan DDed everyone, and we lost 118 ships or something ridiculous because everyone was set to fight LV instead of BoB. The remaining 40 or so attacked BoB at the D2 place, but pretty much failed to load grid and had lots of fun lag, whereupon the POS d2 was sieging killed me while I couldn't do anything :/

Those were two of the big victories reported so far against the goons-one to a suicide op led by a drunk noob, the other at the end of a 60 or 80 jump trip looking for enemies :P

StormyWaters on
  • ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, basically...

BoB finished off ASCN a month or so ago and then started making moves against the North, with MC support. Meanwhile, Redswarm and co have been grinding down LV for like eight months or something. BoB then announce that the north isn't worth their time or some similar BS and go to help LV. This is the cue for basically everyone to go schitz. BoB move into LV space to help fight Redswarm. Most of the North blobs on down to BoB space to join in the party. BoB goes "ohshit" and heads home to beat off the attack. D2 loses a titan due to BoB infiltration. LV loses a titan under construction due to being blobbed to fuck by Redswarm, but choose to blame it on the node crash and "GMs cheating" despite the fuckups being their fault and the small matter of being outnumbered at least 2:1 by the attackers (hint guys, you were fucked anyway). More fighting, AAA kill random shit, pretty much everyone piles into the war (mainly against BoB), Redswarm takes another station, D2 bring out a second titan (jeez, bet nobody saw that coming, and lots and lots of ships on all sides die. Utter carnage.

BoB will of course spew propaganda everywhere but even when you count LV they're fighting a war against massively determined enemies on two fronts while horribly outnumbered. It's going to be messy.

Toast on
    edited February 2007
    To be fair, LV+BoB can field 3 titans at a time, and it's going to be damn hard to push on them due to the 'ok everyone meet here at X time' POS system that's in the game.

StormyWaters on
    edited February 2007
    "Begun, the blob wars have"

Toast on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Blob?

Edit: Can we please not use the slang terms? Not all of us know them.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited February 2007
    The 1000-man Redswarm fleet was just the beginning. Once LV fold up and everyone starts hitting BoB home space, it's going to be hideous. The fate of most systems will be determined by how the servers hold up and who has the best anti-lag tactics.

Toast on
    edited February 2007
    Blob=huge amount of ships, all in one place (like on a gate).

Also, Mittani's reporting that the Juba CEO is telling all the LV members to pull up roots, stop protecting POSes, and go on the offensive.

StormyWaters on
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, that's totally going to work.

Toast on
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Toast wrote: »
    BoB will of course spew propaganda everywhere but even when you count LV they're fighting a war against massively determined enemies on two fronts while horribly outnumbered. It's going to be messy.

For every one thread that contains a positive statement regarding BoB on the EVE-O, there are over 8,000 threads whose main purpose is to decry how terribly BoB is going to crumble. To complain about BoB propaganda infesting the forums is downright silly.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LV have shown a small spark of life defending the 0-W system. We pushed them out today, but it was bloody.

runaway_pancake on
    edited February 2007
    My problems with BoB propaganda are 1) they've been doing it for years and 2) they treat it as psychological warfare rather than dick-waving

Toast on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My problems with BoB propaganda are 1) they've been doing it for years and 2) they treat it as psychological warfare rather than dick-waving
    To an extent it is. But it seems like more a happy spin-off effect then any actual considered plan, since one trick of psyche-warfare is not to eventually get everyone coming to kill your ass at the same time.

electricitylikesme on
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just read the latest of the Eve Tribune.

Seems to be BoB focused.

Still I have questions.

1) How long till LV is not a factor anymore?

2) What then? Will GS and RA turn north?

3) How will BoB's number of Titans be compensated for? Seriously, when they are well piloted how do you pop the fucking things? It seems like BoB uses them exclusively to jump in, DD a fleet of smaller ships, then jump out.

4) Is D2 going to hold? Where is Iron in all this?

5) If RA can put its full force into BoB, will this make a difference?

Rchanen on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    that news report on the war is pretty good, but i sort of object at being labeled as 'The Coalition', whereas BoB and co are 'The Allies'. That just makes us sound like the bad guys :(
    edit: IRON are in a tug-of-war over Querious with anyone that dares stick their face in. We're basically (with a number of other alliances) creating an extra front for BoB to fight on, diverting their forces a little more.
    and yeah, when RAGOON are done with LV, and can get stuck into BoB, i imagine that will make a huge difference.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited February 2007
    To an extent it is. But it seems like more a happy spin-off effect then any actual considered plan, since one trick of psyche-warfare is not to eventually get everyone coming to kill your ass at the same time.

I didn't say they were particularly good at it, just that it irritates me that they think everyone's so dumb. And that most people are.

[edit] To the numbers:

1) From reports, it sounds like not long?

2) North? When they can finally blob straight into BoB? All I can say is, if they do, their priorities are fucked up

3) Generally by avoiding and ignoring them, I'd guess

4) Yup. That's what they do.

5) Yes.

Toast on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    that news report on the war is pretty good, but i sort of object at being labeled as 'The Coalition', whereas BoB and co are 'The Allies'. That just makes us sound like the bad guys :(
    edit: IRON are in a tug-of-war over Querious with anyone that dares stick their face in. We're basically (with a number of other alliances) creating an extra front for BoB to fight on, diverting their forces a little more.
    and yeah, when RAGOON are done with LV, and can get stuck into BoB, i imagine that will make a huge difference.

Perhaps we should start a PR campaign to get people to refer to BoB and LV as "The Imperials" or "The Empire".

"The Coaltion" and "The Alliance" is a little to Starlancer to me anyway.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • coffeetablecoffeetable Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    RedSwarm Federation is the preferred name, or RSF, but doubt anyone would use it. And it doesn't reference CA or IAC or Snigg or any of the other guys that have been involved.

coffeetable on
    edited February 2007
    9CG people, it will be ours.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If I could request, war reports in slight role play style. I really love to read up on eve.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

Perhaps we should start a PR campaign to get people to refer to BoB and LV as "The Imperials" or "The Empire".

"The Coaltion" and "The Alliance" is a little to Starlancer to me anyway.

We seriously have to do this. It would be the funniest PR rout ever. I'm more then satisfied currently that we've managed to get the war called "EVE War I" (which people think it should be II but they've been steamrolled) rather then letting SirMolle get it called the Pendulum Wars. This is largely because (1) it goes against him, and (2) holy fuck that's a stupid, cliched and illogical name.

electricitylikesme on
    edited February 2007
    right, i mentioned this in the G&T Eve thread, but i might as well post it here too. With the war on and people interested in news reports and video footage, i'm wondering how many people we have that would be interested in putting some kind of reports together. At the moment i'm just trying to find out who'd be interested and what they can bring to the table (video/sound editing, capturing, voice-over stuff, that kind of thing). It would be news reports, footage taken from ops and the like, with a possible old-timey war news voice-over explaining what's going on. We're not talking Eve music videos here. Also, i'm aware it would need permissions from any involved alliances, as they probably wouldn't be overly keen to people possible exposing useful information, if it can be helped. Spies are everywhere, and that would be a real shame. So, yes, if anyone's got any ideas or suggestions, or wants to throw some ideas around, that'd be cool.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited February 2007
    LV got smashed in their really nice home system, but have been convinced by BoB to relocate to a place where they'll still cause problems for the GSF. The problem is that this new home is right next door to AAA (or -A-, I think it's the same). AAA are the guys who left RA because RA was 'too carebear.' So in addition to still being targeted by GSF, LV is now going to get to fight of AAA every day, including their leader Evil Thug and his titan.

StormyWaters on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    This sounds hilarious.

minigunwielder on
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Stain's pretty good ratting.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I don't play EVE or really know anything about it, but I love giant space wars. So where can I read up on all this shit where there aren't a million acronyms I don't recognize?

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Framling wrote: »
    So I don't play EVE or really know anything about it, but I love giant space wars. So where can I read up on all this shit where there aren't a million acronyms I don't recognize?

http://www.eve-files.com/media/corp/CRII/Latest.jpg

Acronym reference chart.

(Sort of)

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg