As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Naki Does Arts [Updated 6-14]

nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Artist's Corner
A piece of WoW fan art I did for a friend. I rather stumbled through the "painting" aspect of it, since I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to digital painting. Any book, video, or tutorial suggestions would be appreciated.

jaybackgroundsmall.jpg

Full size- http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9067/jaybackground.jpg

nakirush on

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't have any suggestions for this piece, but I like the wideness of it.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thanks, Nib.

At first I was really dreading the width, but since it was for my friend's new duel-monitor setup I had no choice. When it displays, you see the ice core hound on one monitor and the adventuring party on the other. I'll try to put a picture of that up soon.

Edit-
    Here it is in use.
    jaybackgroundinuse.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    man, thats one awesome set-up. As for the illustration, i like the colours and the details in the characters. I think that you should try fiddling with the icy cave walls. Maybe add a little more texture to make it look more icy/rocky. It looks very flat in comparison to the characters. Also, at first, i read the ground as being water. Otherwise i think its pretty cool.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was going to say that the composition seemed too wide, but then you showed it being a dual-monitor background so it works out. Still, I think it looks like two pieces smooshed together rather than one unifying composition.

Godfather on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Woah hey that's actually really cool.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    since the monitors are different sizes you might want to zoom and crop the left half as a separate image so that they are to scale with each other in use.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    From what I can make out it looks like the Hunter (?) is holding the arrow between her thumb and knuckle. Archers hold nocked arrows between the tips of their index and middle fingers and hold back the bowstring with index, middle and ring fingers.

Aside from that, it's a nice piece.

EDIT:
    _928626_archery300.jpg

EDIT2: Holy crap it's tough to find pics where you can clearly see an archer's hands and the're not using some kind of aid (Like a trigger release).

Nova_C on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    lighting is ur biggest issue. Looks like there standing in a bright lit room. Needs some darker shading and contrast, with attention payed to how light reacts to the cloth and flesh of the figures. Don't forget about bounce light either.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mykonos wrote: »
    lighting is ur biggest issue. Looks like there standing in a bright lit room. Needs some darker shading and contrast, with attention payed to how light reacts to the cloth and flesh of the figures. Don't forget about bounce light either.

this is what i thought too. stronger contrast would make it a lot more dramatic

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The gnomes look bored. Your facial expressions look really static.

They all look like: "OH, no big whoop, just killing some big two headed dog things here."

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for all the comments guys. :D It's been a busy few weeks trying to get settle into the new apartment and starting a new job, but I managed to put this together today.

Inspired (obviously) by Beavotron's stuff.

littleslugger.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'd definitely change the font. Is that Blambot's Battlelines? It's just way too stylized for this.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wow, you're good. :P

I just grabbed a random font and didn't give it much thought.

What think you of this?
    littleslugger.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    i would make the text a little paler, and have the waterstain texture more apparent on it, then either have the character overlap it more, or have the text not overlapped at all, giving it room to breathe.

Also, it would be a good idea to try to work in some green elsewhere other than the grass, and a little red elsewhere other than the dude, and a touch of orange out into that blue to play off of his hair.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What I really like about Beavo's stuff is that it has a lot of texture. I'd experiment with some different brushes for the grass and the baseball bat if nothing else.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Changes galore. Textures added, non-fitting text removed, banners added, piece brightened, greens and reds used in different places.

Better? Worse?
    littleslugger.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Your greens and blues are a little over saturated (particularly the trees, they're distracting).

To be honest I think you've taken away more than you've added there. The advertisement is more of a focal point than you charachter.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    remove the blur from the Coca Cola logo. Also, it's usually good if your lightest and darkest values aren't adjacent to each other.

Also, far-right red bar is way unparallel to fence.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think my biggest complaint is that the kid just looks extremely unhappy. It'd make sense if his parents were killed by a CocaCola truck or something, but besides that I see no reason he should be so grumpy.

Also everything looks super flat with no shadows. Unless you were going for that, I might try some shadows here and there.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ArafatArafat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For teh horde

Arafat on
    Ye u like that huh
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    spideypage.jpg

I haven't drawn anything in nearly two months. I really need to get off my ass and start practicing.

Anyway, drew this last night. I've always had trouble with panel layout, so I thought I'd do a little exercise.

nakirush on