As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] It was the best of times- It was the WAAAAGH of times. <<Closed>>

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, I just reactivated my account and transferred all my non-Rank 1 Destro characters to Iron Rock (From Ulthuan and REM) and created a bunch of Order characters on Badlands. I'll play with PAers one way or another.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Ok, Morsk, Jasc, and Rarvik (I think I misspelled it) just redeemed the game for me. Morsk is a 30 Chosen, Jasc is a 21 Zealot (I think), Rar is a 20 Magus and me on my 18 Squig Herder. The 4 of us did -T3- scenarios and systematicaly destroyed everyone in every Doomfist and Tor Anroc. We only lost once in talabec because.......we don't like it much I guess. I can proudly proclaim having the top 3 kills and top 3 renown every match. If everyone wants to play order, their loss, an underleveled TSM 4 man in scnearios > groups of 29-31 Order players on IR.
    I would love to hook up with you guys on my dok for t3 scen because as much as I like my guild, t3 seems to be hard to find guildies that want to group up for scen in and I've had terrible luck with pug scenarios in t3

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What times do the currently active 6M's play at? I have a level 4 Blackguard on IR but haven't seen anyone on, and Happy was talking about rolling a Marauder over there. Sometimes I feel like taking a break from Badlands, but would like to do so when there are others to play with.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm on mainly late nights PST. Sometimes I'll be on for a little bit mid dayish, you can find me as Haviland or Rarvik, I can invite you if you message me when I'm on.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I tend to play every day but the only day I play for more than an hour or two recently tends to be Saturday, and even then it is somewhat sporadic.

I'm in T3 now but I am trying to figure out what I want my first alt to be so I can do some T1 play.

Nothing has really grabbed me yet. My highest Destro alt is a 5 WE, but I am hearing that playing a WE at the moment is pure peril.

Jasconius on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm on mainly late nights PST. Sometimes I'll be on for a little bit mid dayish, you can find me as Haviland or Rarvik, I can invite you if you message me when I'm on.

Likewise, I tend to always be on from 10pm-2am ish pacific, sometimes till 3 or 4. But sporadically during the day. Ill hop on IR sometime during those hours and see if anythings going on. How are the scenario queue times late night on IR?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ok.

I was totally going to make a destro alt on IR today.

But then I didn't get up until 3pm, ran a quick crypts instance with my fellow Candymacers (<3 again btw) and then was only able to get in some quick (HA!) cultivating before having to log to go hang with a friend who is leaving town soon.

I would definately be willing to make a character on IR now however I am more than a little drunk and have McDonaldss breakfast to eat before passing out ina glorious haze of fat and Blue Moon.

Tomorow though? Making a maurader. Unless there is good ORvR going on in which case I may play my white lion instead.

I know. Bullshit. But I have full conqueror and am only RR39. I NEED TEH RENOWNS.

Also, Thorge, no alts fro you. At least not until you can wear your damn invader/be fully warded with greater wards. Unless I'm on my non-existant character that is. Which I guess means I need to actually make an IR character as soon as possible.

Wait. Damnit.

HappylilElf on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Questions about DoKs; compared to something like a White Lion or Warrior Priest, how is their damage output? When fighting DoKs I'm always annoyed at how comparatively high their damage feels (given that at any point they can go WHOOP FULL HEALTH BITCH), but playing a Warrior Priest is an exercise is doing fuck-all damage, at least in T1. Would playing a DoK give me more damage than a WP? Does it feel more like MDPS than gimpy healer?

Glal on
    edited March 2009
    I'll probably be on tonight. If there is not any T3 action then I will try to figure out what the fuck else I want to play.

also the screenshot button in this game works like 50% of the time. I had a screenshot of me healing for 195k at level 20 in T3 and it's gone. That's alright. I hit 21 last night and got my 3 minute cooldown "god mode" ability which lasts for 10 seconds. So I should be able to hit 200K+ now with around 0-1 deaths.

Jasconius on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Questions about DoKs; compared to something like a White Lion or Warrior Priest, how is their damage output? When fighting DoKs I'm always annoyed at how comparatively high their damage feels (given that at any point they can go WHOOP FULL HEALTH BITCH), but playing a Warrior Priest is an exercise is doing fuck-all damage, at least in T1. Would playing a DoK give me more damage than a WP? Does it feel more like MDPS than gimpy healer?

http://discipleofkhaine.wikispaces.com/

WarDB Build

I got to 20 on DC with this build. Once you start picking up the skills in the Sac tree you will become someone to be feared. Just remember the Sac tree mostly works off Strength to raise your damage since your damage is what does a great deal of the healing.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

if you stack strength you can do a LOT of damage as a DoK, but they are considerably less durable than a WP, which is really what counts when you're trying to heal. A dead healer heals for nothing. And the whole melee heal thing really only works through T3, in T4 you pretty much can't survive as a melee healer in pvp. Pve on the other hand you're a god.

ghost_master2000 on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I'll probably be on tonight. If there is not any T3 action then I will try to figure out what the fuck else I want to play.

also the screenshot button in this game works like 50% of the time. I had a screenshot of me healing for 195k at level 20 in T3 and it's gone. That's alright. I hit 21 last night and got my 3 minute cooldown "god mode" ability which lasts for 10 seconds. So I should be able to hit 200K+ now with around 0-1 deaths.

I should be on around 7 PST for a few hours.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have a DoK at rank... 26 I think? They definitely feel like decent MDPS that can heal themselves and their group. Fantastic class really. The Warrior Priest is also good, but going the melee damage route just doesn't work as well for WPs. A friend of mine runs his WP as more or less a pure healer, he's always wielding 1H plus book instead of a 2-hander. He's nearly impossible to kill as long as he has Guard, and he puts out incredibly good group healing. He's fond of a quote he found on the WHA forums regarding WP builds: "Do you want to hit things with your hammer, or do you want to win?"

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
    edited March 2009
    I can be on again tonight. Just trying to soak up as much rested time as I can to level faster. I need to log in and check to see how much I have.

~Checks~ Almost a full level so far.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    man I am liking black guard waaaay more than KotBS. two pools of points for attacks is way better than one.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    man I am liking black guard waaaay more than KotBS. two pools of points for attacks is way better than one.

Your going to miss your utility from the KotBS when you hit T4. But up until T4 the BG does great damage, but once you start running into organized and smart players in T4 that put guard on squishies, the BG damage goes down the drain.

---

Also, whoever it was that kept getting disconnected from the server. Try uninstalling any versions of PunkBuster that you have on your computer. There has been some issue with PB conflicts with WAR.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited March 2009
    what are players?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited March 2009
    I have a DoK at rank... 26 I think? They definitely feel like decent MDPS that can heal themselves and their group. Fantastic class really. The Warrior Priest is also good, but going the melee damage route just doesn't work as well for WPs. A friend of mine runs his WP as more or less a pure healer, he's always wielding 1H plus book instead of a 2-hander. He's nearly impossible to kill as long as he has Guard, and he puts out incredibly good group healing. He's fond of a quote he found on the WHA forums regarding WP builds: "Do you want to hit things with your hammer, or do you want to win?"
    the funny thing is as a 25 dok, I also do great group healing and if tanks would fucking guard me I would be pretty damn hard to kill (I'm still pretty hard to kill unless we're getting rolled and I'm being focus fired because I actually use my detaunt and have 4500 health)
    I'm a little tired of hearing other doks complain that they melee because they're not that good at healing but then complaining about wps
    yeah, wps do seem to be more durable but from where I'm sitting the main issue seems to be that order actually plays their wps as healers first and melee second as well as protecting them
    whereas destro tends to view the dok as melee first and healer second, and usually doesn't bother protecting them at all

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    what are players?

They are those monsters who get stuck on objects and then shout some curse words.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    what are players?

They are those monsters who get stuck on objects and then shout some curse words.

oooooh ok. I haven't seen any yet

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited March 2009
    what are players?

:^:

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    the funny thing is as a 25 dok, I also do great group healing and if tanks would fucking guard me I would be pretty damn hard to kill (I'm still pretty hard to kill unless we're getting rolled and I'm being focus fired because I actually use my detaunt and have 4500 health)
    I'm a little tired of hearing other doks complain that they melee because they're not that good at healing but then complaining about wps
    yeah, wps do seem to be more durable but from where I'm sitting the main issue seems to be that order actually plays their wps as healers first and melee second as well as protecting them
    whereas destro tends to view the dok as melee first and healer second, and usually doesn't bother protecting them at all

In their defense, I usually find it hard to tell the difference between DoK's and Blackgaurds unless I scrutinize their weapon.

Also, them viewing DoK's as melee first, healer second, isn't a tank problem, it's a problem of most DoK's actually thinking and believing that.

When I run into a DoK in a scen that actually wants to heal instead of charging into Slayer-ville for a quick death, they usually beat me on the charts. However, that's quite rare.

Zealots and gits are much more visually distinct, so when you see one as a tank it's easier to judge "I need to protect that".

Jasconius on
    edited March 2009
    what are players?

:^:

I got stuck on an object in Talabec Dam the other night and I did no cursing.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2009

In their defense, I usually find it hard to tell the difference between DoK's and Blackgaurds unless I scrutinize their weapon.

Also, them viewing DoK's as melee first, healer second, isn't a tank problem, it's a problem of most DoK's actually thinking and believing that.

When I run into a DoK in a scen that actually wants to heal instead of charging into Slayer-ville for a quick death, they usually beat me on the charts. However, that's quite rare.

Zealots and gits are much more visually distinct, so when you see one as a tank it's easier to judge "I need to protect that".
    when I said "they", I meant destro as a whole
    not any particular class
    and the "I can't tell a blackguard from a dok" is a bullshit excuse
    you look at who's in your party and if you see a healer you put a fucking guard on them
    if you're looking at the players around you for a healer, are you tossing a guard on someone that's potentially not in your party? because it only works on a party member
    so again, dumb excuse
    especially if you're using squared

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's funny, in a scenario today I ran into a DoK that actually had a chalice.

For a minute there I actually just stared at them and went "There's a Dark Elf healer class now!?" before my brain caught up.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

not any particular class
    you look at who's in your party and if you see a healer you put a fucking guard on them
    if you're looking at the players around you for a healer, are you tossing a guard on someone that's potentially not in your party? because it only works on a party member
    so again, dumb excuse

see my problem is that when I guard a healer i usually don't get healed any more for it, so I'm taking half the healers damage but getting the same heals = me dead before the healer, then the healer's dead. If they would just heal me too we would both survive.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I tried doing the chalice thing when I was playing my DoK. Didn't like it. I seemed to be able to do more healing in T2 through melee healing than by sitting back and doing the normal healer thing. If I wanted to sit behind my group and heal I would have rolled a Zealot (which I eventually did).

Anyway, playing Order now for the first time since Beta and I'm having a LOT of fun with my KotBS. White Lion is neat too (something I didn't get to play in Beta either) and Witch Hunters look as bad ass as ever (although I hear they don't hit quite as hard as before). Slayer... doesn't appeal to me for some reason and I can't quite explain why. Rune Priest is the next class I'm gonna try out. I had one back in Beta and even though I prefer the visual design of Zealots, RPs seem to be treated like Gods among men in Scenarios right now. I think I've seen two so far, that's it.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited March 2009

not any particular class
    so again, dumb excuse

see my problem is that when I guard a healer i usually don't get healed any more for it, so I'm taking half the healers damage but getting the same heals = me dead before the healer, then the healer's dead. If they would just heal me too we would both survive.
    my god
    this is so damn dumb

look son, scenarios are team efforts
    you're bitching that you don't necessarily get focus healed by the healer you're guarding
    boo fucking hoo
    if they survive longer and are able to keep healing the team overall, it's still helping the whole team out
    and perhaps you're not bothering to tell the healer that you have them guarded

now, you'll still get some people that are stupid
    like the dok I put my guard on because he had his chalice out
    but the dude would still run into the throng to melee half the time
    with his chalice out

but unlike you, I'm not going to punish the whole team for the occasional stupid person
    I'm still going to put my guard on a healer because I want the team to win and I'm a tank and that's the damn reason I have a guard
    just like when I play my dok, I focus on healing if the team needs it because I am playing a healer

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Ok, I apologize. That was harsher then was warranted. But my point is that you're playing a social game, and engaging in scenarios where you can't win the scenario on your own. The whole damn point is that it's one team against the other. And yeah, I get that pug scenarios tend to be poorly organized but I don't see that as a valid excuse to not do your job to help the team, whether that means protecting the healers, or healing, or trying to kill the enemy healers if you're dps. You do the best you can and hopefully enough other people on your team will play smart enough to beat the enemy team.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I tried doing the chalice thing when I was playing my DoK. Didn't like it. I seemed to be able to do more healing in T2 through melee healing than by sitting back and doing the normal healer thing. If I wanted to sit behind my group and heal I would have rolled a Zealot (which I eventually did).

Anyway, playing Order now for the first time since Beta and I'm having a LOT of fun with my KotBS. White Lion is neat too (something I didn't get to play in Beta either) and Witch Hunters look as bad ass as ever (although I hear they don't hit quite as hard as before). Slayer... doesn't appeal to me for some reason and I can't quite explain why. Rune Priest is the next class I'm gonna try out. I had one back in Beta and even though I prefer the visual design of Zealots, RPs seem to be treated like Gods among men in Scenarios right now. I think I've seen two so far, that's it.

I did not really think I was going to like the slayer till I actually tried it. I think I still like my KotBS better but the slayer can really dish some damage and the mastery trees look sweet.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ok, I apologize. That was harsher then was warranted. But my point is that you're playing a social game, and engaging in scenarios where you can't win the scenario on your own. The whole damn point is that it's one team against the other. And yeah, I get that pug scenarios tend to be poorly organized but I don't see that as a valid excuse to not do your job to help the team, whether that means protecting the healers, or healing, or trying to kill the enemy healers if you're dps. You do the best you can and hopefully enough other people on your team will play smart enough to beat the enemy team.
    But guard isn't just for healers. Protecting healers is not the whole role of a tank.

Dizzen on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Indeed, they're too busy protecting MDPS.

...snrk... ahahahahaha! Aaaah, I kill me.

Glal on
    edited March 2009
    yeah, sure
    toss that guard on a mdps

that makes a fucking lot of sense

and I never said it was their entire role, but they get the ability so it's supposed to be used and healers are the logical target for your guard

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You're right, it makes perfect sense.

Especially against scenario pugs that never bother to focus healers in the first place.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Druhim, you debate fantasy video game tactics with such righteous indignation.

Jasconius on
    edited March 2009
    Druhim, you debate fantasy video game tactics with such righteous indignation.
    against people that get upset that everyone in the scen doesn't act like it's all about them, yes

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    yeah, sure

and I never said it was their entire role, but they get the ability so it's supposed to be used and healers are the logical target for your guard

If you're a defensive tank that is hanging out by the healers and trying to keep people off of them then yeah, you should obviously be guarding the healers.

If you're a tank who breaks lines and goes after their healers, like I do because I have a 5 second silence spec'd, then you should absolutely be guarding a MDPS.

Why? Guard has a 30' range.

HappylilElf on
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    just a head's up, the candymancers forum is being moved to a new host. Xgalaxy has been extremely helpful in hosting it so far, but he can't anymore. The domain will be updated shortly, but until then the new URL is

http://www.feartheword.net/candymancers/

yes, I know there are some broken image links... I'm just thankful it worked "this" well :)

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    god damn. anyone have a nice list of up-to-date tweaks to improve warhammers FPS? it really gets low

tyrannus on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    yeah, sure

it does make a lot of sense

since guard is 30 yard range

zero point putting it on people you are not close to, and there are situations where you aren't close to them and can't be.
    for example a tank wall. you dont want your healers near the tank wall or they get aoed.
    it really depends on the situation

being a little myopic about it, kinda strange and discomfiting to see druhim. yer usually a sensible chap.

edit: i agree that "i dun get heals so ill be a selfish prick" is what i like to call "making shit worse for childish reasons".

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
This discussion has been closed.