As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here's my pvp experiences:

Everyone plays a ToS If you don't gank them, they kill you with magic till you die. If you gank them, you blow all your cooldowns and nearly kill them, then they heal to full in one spell and kill you with magic till you die. If there's a ToS in the zone (there always was), you can't level or quest. Once in a blue moon, you could accidentally kill a priest with a fatality. But you had better get out of the area, or they'd just come back and kill you.

I might be confusing ToS with PoM, I don't really remember. Both were broken, but one was more broken than the other.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The ToS was definitely the most broken. PoMs weren't as powerful by any means imaginable, but they still suffered from the "Here's a Nuker Healer in PVP" syndrome.

Bad class designs all around in the game, in my opinion.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited February 2009
    Now, if anyone in the PA guild had actually wanted to group up to grind, I would have played that game for far longer. The atmosphere and graphics were great. The low magic setting and realistic armor/weapons were great.

Being forced to solo in a game where certain classes would assrape you at a glance was just not fun in the least. And I had to solo from 30 (when a bunch of people stopped playing) to like 64, when I quit.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Now, if anyone in the PA guild had actually wanted to group up to grind, I would have played that game for far longer. The atmosphere and graphics were great. The low magic setting and realistic armor/weapons were great.

Being forced to solo in a game where certain classes would assrape you at a glance was just not fun in the least. And I had to solo from 30 (when a bunch of people stopped playing) to like 64, when I quit.

Yeah this was my biggest glaring flaw in the game. In 1 vs 1 PVP combat the classes became retarded unbalanced, and in a game that is all about the PVP it's pretty unforgivable. And lets not mention the "huge" 100 vs 100 sieges that never happened.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I think the biggest lie about this game is it's all about PvP. If pretty much fails at PvP but exceeds at PvE.

I think thats why I'm liking it so much, I like the idea of open PvP but in practice I'm more of a PvE guy. And AoC really does have some great quest story arcs, especially now that they work :)

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Grouping was definitely a big deal. The most fun I ever had in the game a buddy and I got on our war mammoths and just stalked newbs around the level 20 zones. We'd only kill them about half the time, the rest of the time we'd just sort of menace. If you can't menace, what's the point of having a mammoth?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    The actual mass-PVP really isn't in the game yet. They released some new shit, but so far the city sieges are fairly crappy...

Don't get your hopes up for that. I did have a lot of fun just hunting people when I played my ranger. It was on the RP PVP Server, and I would hunt people as they quested. When they died, I had an emote macro that read:

"As Penn slips off into the shadows once more, a small tattered note falls to the floor"

The word "note" was clickable, and when you clicked it a small window would pop up with a poem I wrote... kinda simply little verse about being a silent killer or some such.

Most people got a real kick out of it, but some people would /tell profanities at me and call me a pussy fag for killing them, then they'd say I was a pussy fag for dropping a poem... I'd usually just say, "You're on an RP server. You're also on a PVP server."

Ah good times in AOC.

Oh, the fun that could be had with those macros. You could force people to say retarded shit in the regional chat. I never tried, because I didn't want to get banned, but I think you could also use them to change graphical settings.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You wouldn't get banned though, because support was non-existant and your ticket often timed out before a GM got to it :P

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    GMs would get angry when I would attack them or the people they were coming to help on my PVP server. :(

Yeah, you couldn't hurt a GM at all.

Shens on
    edited March 2009
    Shens wrote: »
    GMs would get angry when I would attack them or the people they were coming to help on my PVP server. :(

Yeah, you couldn't hurt a GM at all.

They were busy trying to cyber.

Darkewolfe on
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I saw a GM for the first time in Underhalls the other day. They are TINY. It's hilarious.

Agent Cooper on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I saw a GM for the first time in Underhalls the other day. They are TINY. It's hilarious.

That's ironic, since at release they were at least twice the size of a player, and decked out in blinged out gold armor.

Archonex on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I gave a GM a striptease in beta

he just stood there, staring at me.

this was back when you could do the "sacrificial boob ceremony" emote

But yeah the GM was pretty huge

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Sometimes I get an urge to try this for another month. Sure, I tried it back at release and there wasn't really anything to do once you were out of Tortage, but the combat system is pretty damn sweet.

Echo on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I liked the combat system in Conan. I really enjoyed the fact as you leveled you would learn different animations. I just wish other games had this feature.

Brainleech on
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The only thing I really hated was being a guardian. We had 3 different sets of stances. It was a little overkill.

Shabooty on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Justin Webb from Warhammer Online recently went to a Circuit City and the place was absolutely cleaned out save for one item.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_o_xdSxX_HNM/SbU_RUSSPSI/AAAAAAAAABc/IAV97hUberQ/s1600-h/Circuit+City+001.JPG

Lucky Cynic on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Justin Webb from Warhammer Online recently went to a Circuit City and the place was absolutely cleaned out save for one item.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_o_xdSxX_HNM/SbU_RUSSPSI/AAAAAAAAABc/IAV97hUberQ/s1600-h/Circuit+City+001.JPG

I woulda bought that shit up and ebayed it.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wonder if this game will ends up using microtransaction instead of monthly fees.
    Given the state of Decline.
    Perhaps a change in payment model might actually save it.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009

I woulda bought that shit up and ebayed it.

Probably not, actually. "93 used and new From:$3.89"

Darkewolfe on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've never been a big MMO guy, but with this at 20 bucks now on Steam I've been thinking about trying it out.

How is it playing now that it's been out and had time to get patched to the moon? And as a big fan of the Conan and Krull mythoses, how does the game world stack up?

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited March 2009
    I've never been a big MMO guy, but with this at 20 bucks now on Steam I've been thinking about trying it out.

How is it playing now that it's been out and had time to get patched to the moon? And as a big fan of the Conan and Krull mythoses, how does the game world stack up?

The game world is very well fleshed out. One of the best aspects of the game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The game world is very well fleshed out. One of the best aspects of the game.

Good, if the world is up to par I think I'll go ahead and take a one month tour and see if I want to take up residence. Time to get my Aquilonian on.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited March 2009
    I just resubbed to this game again.

Now to see if leveling a ranger up will be fun

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I just resubbed to this game again.

Now to see if leveling a ranger up will be fun

I've been thinking about trying it out for a month again, actually. Is Fury still the place to be?

Echo on
    edited March 2009
    It's where I am.

If you're up for rolling a new toon, just say the word and I'll hook up with you. Otherwise I already have a level 80 character as well

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Think I have a 20-something bear shaman on Fury from the last time I played.

Echo on
    edited March 2009
    jesus, the patches are huge. Downloading a 3gb one as we speak

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    OUCH, i was gonna go look for this gameon the cheap and play out the 30 free days but , 3gigs of patch would take me 24+ hours :( as is im suffering through downloading the war client, eh.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited March 2009
    jesus, the patches are huge. Downloading a 3gb one as we speak

That should be the only major one you have to pull down.

I had a 2.8 gig patch that came down after installing the game via Steam.

I've been rolling toons on Set personally, mainly due to the fact that I'm pretty much an MMO noob and the prospect of FFA PvP intimidates me at the moment. I'll get in on the action once I'm comfortable with most of the classes and have found one I want to take to the 60-80 range.

Thus far Barbarian and Assassin are my favorites. Haven't tried a priest or caster yet though.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited March 2009
    The balance between classes in this game has to be the worst ever. Between all the CC's, imbalances and wonky design decisions between ranged damage and melee damage, the game just feels broken in PvP.

On top of it, they make it so that people who have PvP'd alot become a ton more durable for some reason, with their new PvP system.

IE, "Grind a lot" or you won't be able to compete at all. Funcom keeps making the dumbest decisions in the genre.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So the verdict is that its still shit, huh?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    edited March 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    So the verdict is that its still shit, huh?

I wouldn't say that, I'm definitly enjoying the PvE and the game is f'ing gorgeous with the live test version of the DX10 client they recently released (if you have enough machine to run it that is). But I can't speak for the PvP as I almost never roll PvP because those servers tend to be populated by elitiest assholes that gank and teabag and it is just frustrating trying to level up a toon on one.

Although the Cimmeria RP-PvP server on AoC isn't so bad, but I need a lot more experience with the classes before I'd go full time there.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited March 2009
    PvE is pretty good, if only for the combat system which makes killing hordes upon hordes of enemies a bit less of a chore.

But yeah, PvP is pretty rotten. Imbalances from day 1 still exist in the game, and PvP still feels like an afterthought. Just today I got hit by a 3400 crit lightning bolt (I had 4000hp). So that was interesting.

I will try out sieges before I give any final verdict though. AoC is a very fragmented exprience.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The problem I remember having in PvP was that they made a really interactive and fun melee system. They also made a generic and bland magic system. The casters could essentially sit back press a button then run around and stay out of range. The melee people had to do the DDR game of up, left, up, right, down, up and on the last up... make sure they are in range of their target to actually hit them. The magic users only had to stop for a moment to cast their spell, so it was mostly a game of trying to get perfect positioning so that melee attacks would hit. When I did actually hit something, it was pretty powerful (overpowered?). I had set three or four abilities that boosted my damage to a level where I could one shot someone.

I have no idea how it is now, but melee was pretty frustrating or at times pretty broken.

Shens on
    edited March 2009
    They reduced the amount of keypresses you had to do to get a combo off

Casters still have a much easier time of playing though. Tempest of Set can still oneshot people, despite being a healer.

etc

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    On the PvE side, is there enough content at the later levels? Not the vast wasteland from 40+ that it used to be? I'm tempted to just get back in and casually mess with the PvE stuff again.

Kakodaimonos on
    edited March 2009
    yeah they added a new zone and a bunch of quests to help leveling

at least that is what I've heard

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Tempest of Set can still oneshot people, despite being a healer.

Oh hey, look at that, the main reason I quit the game, still not fixed. It became literally impossible to level if there were any ToS in the area.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tempest of Set can still oneshot people, despite being a healer.

Oh hey, look at that, the main reason I quit the game, still not fixed. It became literally impossible to level if there were any ToS in the area.

It was great fun when you ran into all the ToS who were the farmers, so they'd just gank you out of the zone till you left them alone.

Kakodaimonos on
This discussion has been closed.