As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World War Hulk Thread: Don't Be Fucking Ninnies

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Graphic Violence
So, as we all know, the Illuminati (sans Namor and Professor X) banded together to get rid of Hulk. They did so by tricking him into going to rescue a satellite, then trapping him in a ship and sending him into a wormhole. Since then, Hulk's been getting his smash on and leading a rebellion on the planet Sakaar. As fun as that's been, we all know he can't stay away forever, and when he gets back, bitches (especially Iron Man, Black Bolt, Dr. Strange, and Mr. Fantastic) are going to get the beatdown of their lives.

This is where World War Hulk comes in.

World War Hulk is a summer event miniseries totalling six issues that will also be crossing over with some of the other Marvel heroes. So far, it's been confirmed that there will be a main series, companion issues in The Incredible Hulk, a six issue WWH:Frontline series, and a WWH:X-Men three issue mini.

Newsarama write up of the WWH panel at NYCC

Newsarama interview with WWH:X-Men writer Chris Gage

Newsarama interview with WWH:Frontline writer Paul Jenkins

Newsarama interview with Mark Paniccia, Planet Hulk and World War Hulk editor

CBR interview with Greg Pak, writer of Planet Hulk and World War Hulk

So far, what we know is that Manhattan is going to get fucked up, as usual, and there's going to be a huge X-Men vs. Hulk rumble. I'll add more to this post as more info comes out, at least until the amount of content gets too ridiculous.

EDIT 6: Added new WWH pic
EDIT 7: Preview of WWH Prologue and Incredible Hulk #106

Hay guys, new WWH Pic:
WWHULKcvrinks.jpg
WORLD WAR HULK #1 (of 5)
Written by GREG PAK
Penciled by JOHN ROMITA JR.
Cover by DAVID FINCH
Variant Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
Marvel's massive summer smashfest begins! Exiled by a group of Marvel "heroes" to the savage alien planet of Sakaar, the Hulk raged, bled and conquered through the pages of last year's "Planet Hulk" epic, rising from slave to gladiator to king. Now the Hulk returns to Earth to wreak his terrible vengeance on Iron Man, Reed Richards, Dr. Strange and Black Bolt -- and anyone else who gets in his way. Stronger than ever, accompanied by his monstrous Warbound gladiator allies, and possessed by the fiercest and purest rage imaginable, the Hulk may just tear this stupid planet in half. The epic story of anger unbound begins with this special double-sized issue written by "Planet Hulk" scribe Greg Pak and penciled by the legendary John Romita, Jr.

Previews for WWH Prologue: World Breaker and Incredible Hulk #106
WWHProps01.jpg

WWHProps02.jpg

WWHProps03.jpg

Hulk106pg01.jpg

Hulk106pg02.jpg

Hulk106pg03.jpg

bHulk106pg04.jpg

Previews for WWH #1
The World War Hulk Trailer

The (for now) complete checklist for the event
WWHULK001_int0064.jpg

More previews:

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wouldn't Black Bolt or Dr. Strange put a beating on Hulk pretty easily?

skippydumptruck on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah it's going to have to be a stronger than usual Hulk if it's going to be a threat to everybody, because there are a scattered few who can one-shot the big green boy when they so choose.

robosagogo on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If I lived in the Marvel Universe, I would not live in Manhattan.

august on
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    august wrote: »
    If I lived in the Marvel Universe, I would not live in Manhattan.

Must be cheap real-estate at this point with all of the disasters\alien invasions\hero brawls, etc.

Regarding WWH - if it's even marginally as good as Planet Hulk was, I will be thrilled.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Apparently Hulk will be bringing his "warbound" with him. I take this to mean that he rules Sakaar and will be bringing some allies. Said allies are pretty damn powerful, especially the Spikes, though I don't really think he'd unleash the Spikes on Earth.

And I wouldn't be so sure about Strange and Black Bolt being safe. Hulk's got some powerful allies on Earth, most notably Sentry and Namor. And when the Illuminati's antics come to light, we'll see who stands with them and who stands against them.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well if you're not in a major market, then the only super teams you have to deal with would probably be the Great Lakes Avengers or the Runaways if you're in Cali.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2007
    Man, I don't need more Front Line, that's all I have to say.

DJ Eebs on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hulk+X-Men+Andrea DiVito+Chris Gage = worth waiting for

Caveman Paws on
    edited February 2007
    Geebs wrote: »

Yeah - in the article Joe Q was surprised at how well Frontlines sold, and thinks it would be a good idea to put something like that in with all of their events.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wouldn't Black Bolt or Dr. Strange put a beating on Hulk pretty easily?
    No one puts a beating on Hulk easily.

deadonthestreet on
    edited February 2007
    Awesome, Korg is going to be doing detective work. He was pretty cool in Planet Hulk. That, along with the main Frontline story, makes this series sound pretty damn cool.

wwtMask on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Early Prediction for WWH

sentryasskicking.jpg

I'm wondering how the relationship between Sentry and Hulk will be explored. Whenever Hulk's in The Sentry's presence he becomes like a docile retarded son.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Black Bolt once put down Hulk with a single whisper, and we know a shout can level an entire world, and a scream can rip a hole in time and space, so we know he's okay.

Dr. Strange can do similiar things I would imagine.

Extremis Iron Man is strong and fast and all but uh super-angry Hulk? Yeah.

Reed got put down by a single shot from a gun so he's fucked I guess.

Mai-Kero on
    edited February 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Black Bolt once put down Hulk with a single whisper, and we know a shout can level an entire world, and a scream can rip a hole in time and space, so we know he's okay.

Hulk busts into where the inhumans new city is and lays the smackdown, smug with the knowledge that Black Bolt can't do shit to him because any attempt by Blackbolt to use his voice will lead to the destruction of his city and people.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
    edited February 2007
    The thing with Black Bolt, he has the ability to take down Hulk..but if he does, he risks taking out the world with it.

edit: dammit

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2007
    Man, looking at that checklist...I'm really gonna have to bump some shit off my pull list to afford this event.

Also, on that first image, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's Angel, Hercules, Namora, and the new Scorpion standing with Hulk, right?

wwtMask on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Black Bolt can do more than just shout, you know.

He can harness the mighty power of ELECTRONS in order to put him in a physical class that can compete with the Hulk. And he can fire powerful energy beams.

Spectre-x on
  • JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    As someone else pointed out, this will not be Hulk vs. everydamnhero in the world. This will be Hulk + his warbound + Hulk's friends on Earth vs. The Illuminati and their allies. No one is safe; not Strange, and not Black Bolt.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, hulk's friends and the Illuminati's enemies. Some of whom are pretty powerful right now.

Dex Dynamo on
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Can anyone give me a quick synposis of Planet Hulk? I COMPLETELY missed it.

I only caught some of Civil War cuz a friend had it. I dont have much spending money these days.

Inx on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Inx wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a quick synposis of Planet Hulk? I COMPLETELY missed it.

I only caught some of Civil War cuz a friend had it. I dont have much spending money these days.
    basically the movie Gladiator but with hulk, and at the end he becomes emperor of an alien planet

Zavian on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Early Prediction for WWH

sentryasskicking.jpg

Oh hey good job Hulk.
    You killed Vision.
    That's a fucking feat.
    I think I've killed vision at least once.

The Muffin Man on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Uh yeah but.
    (DO NOT CLICK THE SPOILER IF YOU DIDN'T READ ILLUMINATI #2 YET)
    Infinity Gems

The Muffin Man on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

Lets see what character the they speedball next!

Bloods End on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Uh yeah but.
    Infinity Gems
    that makes me wonder about those panels near the end of xavier. might he whip out his gem in WWH: X-Men? Thats pretty much the only thing he has to fight off hulk now that hes depowered

Zavian on
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

Uh yeah but.
    Infinity Gems

See this is what I was thinking too, and another thing, Which one did the Professor end up getting?

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

edited February 2007

Uh yeah but.
    Infinity Gems

See this is what I was thinking too, and another thing, Which one did the Professor end up getting?
    mind, the blue gem

Zavian on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Everyone should pick up Planet Hulk when it comes out in a collected form.

It's good fun.

DarkPrimus on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

At the height of his rage, the Hulk is strong enough to break the laws of physics.

He's supposed to be very, very angry in WWH.

I think he'll be coming back with the strength to handle any hero in the MU. Yes, including the Sentry. Man, fuck the Sentry. Hulk is the Strongest There Is, not Blondie McCrazy.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited February 2007
    Harrier wrote: »

At the height of his rage, the Hulk is strong enough to break the laws of physics.

I think he'll be coming back with the strength to handle any hero in the MU. Yes, including the Sentry. Man, fuck the Sentry. Hulk is the Strongest There Is, not Blondie McCrazy.

I heard the Sentry fought Galactus to a standstill

Did Hulk ever fight Galactus to a standstill? No he didn't.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Not yet.

deadonthestreet on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Did the Sentry really fight Galactus to a standstill

Or did he just imagine it

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, I don't know about all this. A lot of this art is pretty "meh" if you ask me, especially compared with the rad covers and interior art we've been getting with "Planet Hulk." Plus, the big downside to this war is that Hulk is going to have to lose it, and I really don't want him to. His character is in such a good place now on Sakar, I honestly don't want to see him leave. I am curious, however, as to why Hulk would even bother to invade Earth. It hardly seems worth the trouble, or in character at all, for him to invade just for the shit of it. Maybe Sakar will be in trouble somehow, or that shadow sworn lady that he's banging will get sick/die/be in danger?

Man, seriously.

TehChowd on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    See this is how Civil War should of ended. Fuckin Hulk coming down and kick everyone in the ass while the moan about nothing in particular. None of that crap they did.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

That is one of most fucking retarded things I've ever read.

You do not fight with Galactus. Galactus is a universal force, a cosmic being. Didn't the Fantastic Four have to make some kind of deal with him to get him to leave the first time? The Beyonder can't make Galactus do what he wants.

It would be like if Superman had been able to go toe-to-toe with Imperiex in Our Worlds At War without first getting the Apokolyptian armor and then dunking himself into the sun to become 'evolved'.

This is why I hate the Sentry. He is a fucking deus ex machina, except unlike Dr. Strange he never shows up unless it's to ruin what would otherwise be a good fight or a proper competition. You see him in the background in Civil War #7, and Hulkling and Hercules are keeping him at bay. But the minute we can get excited about a legendary smackdown in the making, it's "Whoops! Not gonna happen, the Sentry will shut them down."

This is actually why I'm rooting for a Sentry vs. Hulk fight in WWH. I want Marvel to prove that Sentry isn't a boring plot device, that he's not the effortless ultimatum of strength he's constantly made out to be. I want the Sentry to get the shit beaten out of him, for once.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    To quote Professor Hulk:

"Inevitably, gentlemen... Hulk WILL smash!!"

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    If you read the origin for the Spikes you will see how they might possibly be able to counter act the Sentry's "Power of a thousand exploding stars".

graizur on
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a silly question.

I haven't really kept up with the Hulk over the last few...well, I've never really kept up with the hulk. It was only recently that I found any interest. So, I just read the Fantastic Four issues where ben and johnny fight him, and ben jokingly suggest launching him into space.

My question: How long has the hulk been smart? I know he was smart for awhile a long time ago, but when did he get smart again? Also, how?

Inx on
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

That is one of most fucking retarded things I've ever read.

You do not fight with Galactus. Galactus is a universal force, a cosmic being. Didn't the Fantastic Four have to make some kind of deal with him to get him to leave the first time? The Beyonder can't make Galactus do what he wants.

It would be like if Superman had been able to go toe-to-toe with Imperiex in Our Worlds At War without first getting the Apokolyptian armor and then dunking himself into the sun to become 'evolved'.

This is why I hate the Sentry. He is a fucking deus ex machina, except unlike Dr. Strange he never shows up unless it's to ruin what would otherwise be a good fight or a proper competition. You see him in the background in Civil War #7, and Hulkling and Hercules are keeping him at bay. But the minute we can get excited about a legendary smackdown in the making, it's "Whoops! Not gonna happen, the Sentry will shut them down."

This is actually why I'm rooting for a Sentry vs. Hulk fight in WWH. I want Marvel to prove that Sentry isn't a boring plot device, that he's not the effortless ultimatum of strength he's constantly made out to be. I want the Sentry to get the shit beaten out of him, for once.

Uhhhhh....when Galactus hasn't fed he isn't as strong as you make him out to be. And someone didn't read Annihilation.

Crayon on
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Hulk busts into where the inhumans new city is and lays the smackdown, smug with the knowledge that Black Bolt can't do shit to him because any attempt by Blackbolt to use his voice will lead to the destruction of his city and people.

In Exiles an alternate Black Bolt had the nuts to kill his own people.

I hate Blackbolt so hopefully Hulk Smash.

Fellhand on
This discussion has been closed.