As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New York Comic-Con

Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4toArlington, VARegistered User regular
edited February 2007 in Graphic Violence
I'm going to NYC on Friday, because I'm a librarian, and my boss loves the comics. I'm planning on staying close to the DC and DH areas, does anyone want to meet up?

Ethan Smith on

• Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am going to be there through Saturday night, but I am not terribly sure what my plans are. I think I'm doing dinner with some other press types on Saturday and hitting the Galactica screening Friday night for sure right now.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    I'm going to NYC on Friday, because I'm a librarian, and my boss loves the comics. I'm planning on staying close to the DC and DH areas, does anyone want to meet up?

Why wouldn't you venture around? There's so much more than just those two at events like this.

Grifter on
  • Options
    JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I had a question, if anyone can help me out with this.

I already have my tickets for Saturday, and I just noticed...

1:00pm, MARVEL: Stephen King’s Dark Tower – The Gunslinger Born, Special Events Hall, Ticket Required
    The most eagerly anticipated comic series ever has arrived: Dark Tower is here! Join the Master of Horror (and NYCC Guest of Honor) himself, STEPHEN KING, who will be on hand, along with Joe Quesada, Robin Furth, Peter David, Jae Lee and Ralph Macchio, the Dark Tower creative team, to answer your questions and provide a sneak peek at upcoming issues. Don’t miss this once-in-a-lifetime panel. NOTE: This is a ticketed event

Now, what do they mean by ticketed? Are they saying you can't check it out unless you buy a second set of tickets specifically for this panel? I'm going through the web site, but haven't found the answer yet.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    yourspaceholidayyourspaceholiday Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    They give out special event tickets before the show on a first come first serve basis. They are free, but limited, so you need to get there pretty early if you want to get one.

This is how they did it last year, so I'm assuming it's going to be the same

yourspaceholiday on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    They give out special event tickets before the show on a first come first serve basis. They are free, but limited, so you need to get there pretty early if you want to get one.

This is how they did it last year, so I'm assuming it's going to be the same
    yeah. most of the ticketed stuff is for the first 100 or 50 or 75 people in line. with the anticipated crowd, i'd almost say don't bother.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Wow, that sucks...I'm a huge fan of Jae Lee's work on the Gunslinger, but there's just no way in hell I'm getting there before 10am.

Thanks for the heads up regardless.

Judas on

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Alright enough of this crap. It's panel time!

DC Nation 07!

Didio stopped the questions to note that they've had a change of heart on something - and turned it over to Wayne, who announced that DC will continue to publish Manhunter. Didio added that there will be more Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters as well.
    All-Star Batman and Robin - is it over? Giffen: "They're out of the car."
    Didio asked what Wayne's favorite ASB&R moment was, to which Wayne replied, seeing issue #5 was done."

Jones: "Seeing a whole bunch of #6 done."

Giffen: "I didn't read ASB&R"

Didio: “Paul, did you read ASB&R?” Dini: "When I was a kid."

Man, it's always funny when other DC folks make fun of that title.

I guess theres some Marvel stuff as well, but Im lazy.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anyone going to the Galactica panel, PM if you want to hang out.

august on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DC Nation wrote:
    More Mike Norton working at DC? Jones: Mike Norton has signed an exclusive with DC Comics

Hope they give him some cool shit to draw, because Norton's work has been ace lately.
    DC Nation wrote:
    Plans for Steel? Giffen" We're going to kill him.

Nah, he's black. Can't kill black guys.
    DC Nation wrote:
    Asked what DC's commitment to adding characters of diverse races in the DCU is, Giffen deadpanned off-the-cuff but in obvious jest to all attending, "White folk hate it”.

It's true. Bring on Black Superman!
    DC Nation wrote:
    The next artist of Teen Titans? Al Barrinuevo (Martian Manhunter)

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck, Martian Manhunter looked like ass when I was still reading it. Though that could have been the weird, muddy colors. Really though, if they have Norton on exclusive, this would be the perfect book for him.
    DC Nation wrote:
    Didio asked for fans' favorite character missing from the DC Universe - to the loud cries of "Ted Kord" coming from he audience. Giffen responded, "He's not missing, we can show you where he's buried."

This led to Didio asking another fan to turn the third Countdown image, revealing "The Hunt for Ray Palmer".

I love the idea of Didio being like, "Hey who do you want to come back!" "Ted Kord!" "Oh. Well, uh, we've got that shrinky guy with the crazy wife. --cough cough-- moving on.."

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Didio stopped the questions to note that they've had a change of heart on something - and turned it over to Wayne, who announced that DC will continue to publish Manhunter. Didio added that there will be more Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters as well.

Awesome!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I liked my version better but hey, we're all a bit different.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I went on professional day, where only Librarians go.

Note-There was only one librarian in our group. She was our queen, a matriarch if you will. We were allowed in only through the beautificious lies she concocted.

Enough Tycho-speak, here's the low-down of what happened.

Before the ask, no, not many people cosplayed. However, someone from our group was Rinoa.

If you're into stuff like that.

Anyways, there was tons of free stuff, and I got a friend of mine like 5 star trek books. I also got the Dark Tower comic. I haven't read it.

I never will.

Also, I got Johnny the Homicidal maniac, which wasn't as good as I thought, and Penny Arcade vol 3, which was a quabillion times better than anything ever. I also got Blade of the Immortal, which, though the cover looks badass, I haven't read yet. In a borders on the way home, getting tired of Jack Kerouac, I bought 'THE RONIN', which is about the most hardcore asshole in medieval Japan.

I also got a Flash T-shirt.

I am wearing it now.

(note-Odly, this put me 150$ in the hole. I don't know how, because even at my best estimates, I should have only spent 100$)
    (DAMN ME for not getting Sin City, or a Sin City T-shirt)

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I've been pretty much all smiles with the news from the DC panels this week.
    Anymore Seven Soldiers stuff? Yes. Grant is just busy with 52, when his schedule clears, he’ll do some more stuff.
    How long is Morrison on Batman? Didio stated that Dini and Morrison are the regular writers on the Batman books with an open invite to stay on as long as they like.
    It was then announced by Didio and Simone that (Mike) Norton will be the regular artist on All-New Atom after signing his exclusive.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Joe Quesada fucking broke down crying during the Cup of Joe panel when he was asked about his dad's death and Daredevil:Father. Think what you will about the guy, it was fucking sad to watch.

Other big news. An Annihilation Sequel called Annihilation: Conquest*, Bendis and Maleev on Halo Ongoing, Mystic Arcana, a series of 4 one-shots about magic in the Marvel U (featuring Black Knight, Magik, Scarlet Witch, and Nico Minoru) written by Weezie Simonson, Roy Thomas, and CB Cebulski.

July 5, 2007 - New Avengers/Transformers. Stuart Moore and Talent Caldwell. Ties in with the current IDW T-Formers continuity. Everybody basically came in their pants when this was announced. Like, seriously, the whole room. I have a recording of the panel, and I think I went deaf when listening to the playback of that. Um...Marko Djurkevic and Arthur Suydam are now exclusive with Marvel. Saw some of Q's One More Day pages, which look pretty nice. Announcement-wise, that's really it.

Karma, I have a sideshow collectibles gift certificate for a 'mystery amount'. You shop there a lot, right? Let me know.

Munch, I met Dan Didio and talked to him and Joan Hilty for a few minutes. I hate to break your heart, but he was super nice. I'm not the sort to go bother the VIPs when they're on the floor, but I was browsing a booth right next to him, and he noticed that I recognized who he was and waved and said hi.

Ethan Van Sciver is committed to a new Plastic Man project. Either Ethan or Mark Waid will be writing. SCOOP!

*Conquest is following the same format as Annhilation, a prologue (Abnett/Lanning), four minis - Quasar (Gage), Starlord (Giffen), Wraith (Grillo-Marxuach or whatever, the guy who wrote Super Skrull, which was awesome). Wraith is a brand new cosmic character created by Bill Rosemann and Javier Grillo-Marxuach and designed by Marko Djurkevic.

You know, for those of who don't read newsarama. I just got home not too long ago.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've been pretty much all smiles with the news from the DC panels this week.
    Anymore Seven Soldiers stuff? Yes. Grant is just busy with 52, when his schedule clears, he’ll do some more stuff.
    How long is Morrison on Batman? Didio stated that Dini and Morrison are the regular writers on the Batman books with an open invite to stay on as long as they like.
    It was then announced by Didio and Simone that (Mike) Norton will be the regular artist on All-New Atom after signing his exclusive.

You forgot THE RETURN OF CAPTAIN CARROT!

Also, Bendis on HALO is just weird

New Avengers/Transformers? I'm a whore, I'll get it

Algertman on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    For a second there I was worried that we'd start getting a bunch of covers of DC heroes as zombies. Phew.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, they made the Halo announcement, and Quesada's like, "Yeah, we don't fuck around," and I muttered 'yeah, if by that you mean, 'Master Chief is going to stand around and talk like a teenage girl.'

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, they made the Halo announcement, and Quesada's like, "Yeah, we don't fuck around," and I muttered 'yeah, if by that you mean, 'Master Chief is going to stand around and talk like a teenage girl.'

I bet that was the only way MARVEL got Halo

Bungie/MS looked at MARVEls sales and saw Bendis as the top selling writer and would only let MARVEL have it if Bendis was on it

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Oh, on Friday night during his Babylon 5: The Lost Tales panel, Straczynski talked a bit about the new Thor series. I am not sure what to think of it, but it may sound fun.

He says that Thor, while still speaking anachronistically, won't be using thee and thou, etc. because, "I never understood why a Norse god spoke Middle English."

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh, on Friday night during his Babylon 5: The Lost Tales panel, Straczynski talked a bit about the new Thor series. I am not sure what to think of it, but it may sound fun.

He says that Thor, while still speaking anachronistically, won't be using thee and thou, etc. because, "I never understood why a Norse god spoke Middle English."

Because it's awesome

These comic book people never understand anything.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    hughtron wrote: »

Because it's awesome

DAMN STRAIGHT!

The way he speaks is part of his charecter. If JMS can't understand that he doesn't need to be writing him.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

Because it's awesome

DAMN STRAIGHT!

The way he speaks is part of his charecter. If JMS can't understand that he doesn't need to be writing him.
    This is probably true, but I'm still going to give the book a chance, at least for an issue or two.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

Because it's awesome

DAMN STRAIGHT!

This is probably true, but I'm still going to give the book a chance, at least for an issue or two.

The voice of every major comic book character has been subject to revision at one point or another. I don't see why Thor should be exempt, or why a change in his voice should be seen as much worse.

And frankly, I'm sure many people view the Middle English as an obstacle to their enjoyment of the character.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Munch, I met Dan Didio and talked to him and Joan Hilty for a few minutes. I hate to break your heart, but he was super nice. I'm not the sort to go bother the VIPs when they're on the floor, but I was browsing a booth right next to him, and he noticed that I recognized who he was and waved and said hi.

You saw but one of his many faces. Like the Devil himself he can change his guise on a whim to best suit his needs. Tell me, did you notice a forked tongue and possibly some fangs? Did he spit acid at you?

Really though, I've heard that he is a nice guy, with a very dry, witty sense of humor. I've also heard secondhand that Booster Gold is one of his favorite characters. Still, it's fun to mock him when he comes across as kind of a dick in interviews, but it's all in fun.
    Ethan Van Sciver is committed to a new Plastic Man project. Either Ethan or Mark Waid will be writing. SCOOP!

There was something in Wizard a few months back that had a sketch of Plas by him. I thought it was stated that he'd be appearing in Superman/Batman drawn by Van Sciver, and given a darker edge. As I recall the sketch had Plas stretching him arm while holding a gun, and wearing a zoot suit.

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007

He doesn't look like the type to fit a Plastic Man book. But I haven't really seen much of his art, so I can't say yes or no.
    Munch wrote:
    There was something in Wizard a few months back that had a sketch of Plas by him. I thought it was stated that he'd be appearing in Superman/Batman drawn by Van Sciver, and given a darker edge. As I recall the sketch had Plas stretching him arm while holding a gun, and wearing a zoot suit

I hope it was a joke :(

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Zoot suits are coming back. Trust me.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    that's a riot

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    that's a riot

Uh oh Keith, ya got me.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    if you jump up, you might be able to catch the joke

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Bill Morrison talks Captain Carrot

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

He doesn't look like the type to fit a Plastic Man book. But I haven't really seen much of his art, so I can't say yes or no.
    Munch wrote:
    There was something in Wizard a few months back that had a sketch of Plas by him. I thought it was stated that he'd be appearing in Superman/Batman drawn by Van Sciver, and given a darker edge. As I recall the sketch had Plas stretching him arm while holding a gun, and wearing a zoot suit

He wasn't joking. He was all, "Everyone forgets that Eel O'Brien is basically Ray Liotta from Goodfellas, except that he can, like, turn into a car."

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Munch wrote:

He wasn't joking. He was all, "Everyone forgets that Eel O'Brien is basically Ray Liotta from Goodfellas, except that he can, like, turn into a car."

who was this

tell me so I can kill him

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Munch wrote:

who was this

tell me so I can kill him
    Van Sciver himself. Yesterday. Because I asked him if he was seriously doing Plastic Man next.

Man, if you kill him, that frees up his hot wife.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I had a really good time yesterday. Much more organized than last year. Its funny, because you'd expect at least a few of the autographers to be dicks, but everyone I met/saw (Brian K Vaughan, Simone Bianchi, Claudio Sanchez and even Chuck D from Public Enemy) was really friendly. I told BKV that Runaways was better than Civil War (which is true), and he seemed to really appreciate that.

I also got a few exclusive comics, which was nice. I dont really buy a lot of things at conventions but I love the experience. And this time I went with my friends, so it was hilarious to see them trying to impress Hayden Penittiere (Claire from Heroes).

BiggNife on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Todd Nauck asked me if I liked FNSM, and I told him yes, but I liked Young Justice better. He smiled so big.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    shit chuck d was there? that's awesome

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Servo wrote: »

Yes. I too can verify that he seems like a nice guy when you meet him; very laid back.

Also, Joe Q verified that there are extensive follow up plans for the Annihilation story line, which put a big smile on my face.

And I got to shake Kevin Smith's hand, which was cool.

( ...actually it was a bit damp. )

Judas on

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Judas wrote: »

Yes. I too can verify that he seems like a nice guy when you meet him; very laid back.

Also, Joe Q verified that there are extensive follow up plans for the Annihilation story line, which put a big smile on my face.

Were you able to palm his bald spot?

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Were you able to palm his bald spot?

Unfortunately, no. For a short stocky man, he moves surprisingly fast.

Judas on

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

My friends asked him to sign a piece of paper so they could give it to someone that couldnt make it, and he gave them a free signed CD instead. You have to give credit to someone that does something like that.

BiggNife on