As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Max Payne 3 coming this Winter

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/max-payne-3-out-this-winter
Take-Two has announced that Max Payne 3 is in development at Rockstar Vancouver and will be released for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC this winter.

The game was originally mooted all the way back in 2004, but things have been quiet since. Original developer Remedy is not involved by the sound of it.

While specific details about MP3 are thin on the ground, we're told that gritty, trenchcoat-loving grumpy-guts Max is now retired but still "embroiled in a world of corruption, turmoil and intense violence".

In fact, Max has left New York behind, and having been double-crossed, is now trapped "in a city full of violence and bloodshed, using his weapons and instincts in a desperate search for the truth and a way out".

We're also promised "more of the classic elements and hyper-intense action that fans have come to love", although the game will be "moving the story of Max in a new direction".

"We're starting a new chapter of Max's life with this game," said Sam Houser, Rockstar Games founder.

"This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his last chance for salvation."

Hurm. Not being developed by Remedy, I would assume not being written by Sam Lake. I'm skeptical until I hear more.

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    More cynical than before? That's a tough thing to achieve with a character like Max. :P

I also don't like the way they say that they're starting a "new chapter" in Max's Life with this one. I mean an older more world weary Max would be cool, but I was always expecting that Max Payne 3 would be the last game in the series, probably with him dying in the end, and now it doesn't look like that's going to be the case.

On the plus side, I hope they can keep up the writing, and all the awesome little creative touches like the TV shows. The "Address Unknown" levels in Max Payne 2 were awesome and creatively done, just the right side of parody whilst maintaining functionality in the gameplay.

subedii on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fuck yes. So bought. I love me some Max Payne. Hell, at one time, I owned the GBA Max Payne game.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    Fuck yes. So bought. I love me some Max Payne. Hell, at one time, I owned the GBA Max Payne game.

I heard they didn't do a half-way bad job on that one. How was it?

subedii on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow no shit. I actually wasnt expecting this. Pretty damn cool. I just saw the movie last week before picking up RE5 and loved it.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is a very pleasant surprise to wake up to. Doesn't seem like there's any chance of them keeping the crazy purple prose writing around, though. :(

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The new chapter of the story is that Max marries Mona, changes his name to Alan Wake, and starts writing books.

olol

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited March 2009
    subedii wrote: »

I heard they didn't do a half-way bad job on that one. How was it?

It's was fun. They it turned into an isometric shooter that captured most of the set pieces. The voice acting in the cutscenes was a nice surprise. Some of the in-game cutscenes from the game actually got re-done with comic panels because the engine couldn't replcate it.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    More cynical than before? That's a tough thing to achieve with a character like Max. :P

I also don't like the way they say that they're starting a "new chapter" in Max's Life with this one. I mean an older more world weary Max would be cool, but I was always expecting that Max Payne 3 would be the last game in the series, probably with him dying in the end, and now it doesn't look like that's going to be the case.

On the plus side, I hope they can keep up the writing, and all the awesome little creative touches like the TV shows. The "Address Unknown" levels in Max Payne 2 were awesome and creatively done, just the right side of parody whilst maintaining functionality in the gameplay.

Yeah, the actions great and all, but there's a million bullet-time-laced-shoot-em-ups around now if you want that kind of thing. For me it's the story and endless stream of self-references that give you enough to question Max's sanity and the reality of all this (Dick Justice, for one of so many) that I absolutely love.

I'm not going to write it off yet, that would be stupid, but I need to be convinced that Rockstar Vancouver can keep this side of things too.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bout time.

Though I'd be a bit more comfortable if it was Remedy developing, not Rockstar Vancouver.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Now taking bets: Cover system in Max Payne 3, will they, won't they?

I'm thinking they'll throw one in. Because it's the done thing these days.

subedii on
    edited March 2009
    Now taking bets: Cover system in Max Payne 3, will they, won't they?

I'm thinking they'll throw one in. Because it's the done thing these days.

And regenerating health.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cover systems are great.

Now whenever I have a wall, I go "why the fuck can't I press against it."

Thank you, Killswitch. Max Payne had regenerating health back when it came out.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited March 2009
    Really? I thought health was only recovered by popping painkillers? It has been a long while since I played, though.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's very minor, but if you take damage up to being in full red, your health will regenerate down to the bottom of your neck.

But yes, Max Payne had a regenerating health bar, you snarky bastard.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, but that's only 25% or so, isn't it? Not really enough to put it into the same "kill one enemy, suck your thumb while the bullets pop out of your torso, repeat" category as many other shooters.

Also, I predict grey-brown Realistic Graphics overtaking the Noir aesthetic.

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited March 2009
    You know you don't have to sit around and suck your thumb until you get full health if you don't like it so much!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    On one hand, I'm incredibly excited about this.

On the other, the lack of Remedy has me concerned.

Either way, I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on it.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited March 2009
    CVG posted this artwork on their article.

screenshot_213042.jpg

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited March 2009
    I'm not saying a game with regenerating health can't be good, just why does it have to be in everything?

Or at least make it cool like in Far Cry 2, where you have to run off with your last health block bleeding out and perform emergency field surgery.

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited March 2009
    Because most people like it? Probably a lot of people went "man, running around and collecting health is dumb and takes you away from the action, or completely screws over to player."

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited March 2009

screenshot_213042.jpg

Oh okay, someone enjoyed Condemned 2 then.

I mean, I did, I love that game, but it's not Max Payne.
    edit: on regenerating health, I generally appreciate it rather than having to back-track to find a medkit because someone got a lucky shotgun blast in or whatever. But the game is called Max Payne. You collect painkillers to make yourself better. He says "pills would help ease the pain".

There are layers of important puns here that must be kept in.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hell yes, I love this series. I hope it doesn't suffer for lacking the original devs.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can dig more max payne

Edcrab wrote: »
    Hell yes, I love this series. I hope it doesn't suffer for lacking the original devs.

If i've learned anything from contra 4, it's to not worry if the original devs aren't handling it.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited March 2009
    Really? After shooting several thousand mobsters you expect him to look like the same dashing man in Max Payne 1 and 2?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They're called painkillers. Max has to use them.

snip

That image does not inspire confidence.

This is what I wrote in another thread:
    Sounds awful, actually. "This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his last chance for salvation." How is that "a new chapter"? Sounds the same as the first two games. Plus, Remedy's busy with Alan wake. I'd rather play that if it ever comes out.

Muddy Water on
    edited March 2009
    Because most people like it? Probably a lot of people went "man, running around and collecting health is dumb and takes you away from the action, or completely screws over to player."

It's not something that works for every game, it really depends on the context of the gameplay. Health regen doesn't replace anything, it's not inherently better, it's a different gameplay mechanic and it works with depending on the style of game

It's like when Left 4 Dead came out, one of the first thoughts that entered my head whilst playing it was "If this had been by almost any other developer, it would have had health regen. They'd have had to change the gameplay mechanics completely because of that. And it would have sucked."

Half the fun of doing a "Dead on Arrival" playthrough is knowing that you're almost dead, and the next firefight could be the end of you unless you pull things off right, that you might actually be better switching away from your uzi's and instead bringing out the DEagle for some headshot action.

subedii on
    edited March 2009
    Really? After shooting several thousand mobsters you expect him to look like the same dashing man in Max Payne 1 and 2?

I know he looked different between MP 1 and 2, but that was even worked into the story as another possible facet of Max's insanity. Now he just looks like Angry Facepuncher, a man on the edge who isn't going to take it any more!

For whatever reason, I was fine when Monolith did this to Ethan Thomas, but this just bothers me.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    Yeah, the actions great and all, but there's a million bullet-time-laced-shoot-em-ups around now if you want that kind of thing. For me it's the story and endless stream of self-references that give you enough to question Max's sanity and the reality of all this (Dick Justice, for one of so many) that I absolutely love.

I'm not going to write it off yet, that would be stupid, but I need to be convinced that Rockstar Vancouver can keep this side of things too.

All agreed. The specific tone of Max Payne's narration and story was a very delicate balance between noir cheese, tongue-in-cheek wordplay and actual sincerity, and I'm unsure how it will play out.

That said, the fact that this wasn't railroaded across deadlines to coincide with the release of the Max Payne movie bodes well for its quality. The image, on the other hand, doesn't; the first impression I get is "Hobo Sam Fisher."

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    The image, on the other hand, doesn't; the first impression I get is "Hobo Sam Fisher."

Limed for "I thought the exact same freaking thing".

subedii on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, will this game still be as awesome now that every game out there has bullet time?

(Didn't play Max Payne 1&2 until a month ago so can confirm that in those cases, yes it was still fucking awesome)

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I never played 2.

Really dug the first one until those dream sequences kept reappearing, and those kinda caused the game to slow to a crawl.

Sheep on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    I never played 2.

Really dug the first one until those dream sequences kept reappearing, and those kinda caused the game to slow to a crawl.

Play 2, its fucking awesome. Short but awesome.

But really....what the fuck are they going to do to Max now? Poor git.

Karl on
  • RabidrabbitRabidrabbit Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    So, will this game still be as awesome now that every game out there has bullet time?

(Didn't play Max Payne 1&2 until a month ago so can confirm that in those cases, yes it was still fucking awesome)

It wasn't bullet time alone that made Max Payne great. Its all about the complete package.

Rabidrabbit on
    edited March 2009
    Karl wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    I never played 2.

Play 2, its fucking awesome. Short but awesome.

But really....what the fuck are they going to do to Max now? Poor git.

He's going to marry Mona Sax, then go to marriage counselling because of how unstable the basis of their relationship is.

subedii on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As stated before:

Been waiting for this for years. Excited and concerned. MP1 and MP2 were great and I loved them. So much fun. (Hell, new Vista machine, we might have to try and put MP2 on you now...)

I'll be watching this anxiously and hoping it's done well. I don't know if I can hope for "done right" but we'll see.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
    edited March 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

All agreed. The specific tone of Max Payne's narration and story was a very delicate balance between noir cheese, tongue-in-cheek wordplay and actual sincerity, and I'm unsure how it will play out.

That said, the fact that this wasn't railroaded across deadlines to coincide with the release of the Max Payne movie bodes well for its quality. The image, on the other hand, doesn't; the first impression I get is "Hobo Sam Fisher."

Seriously, it's why I'm so excited for Alan Wake. Any game where Sam Lake is writing, I will follow excitedly.

And I too totally thought Hobo Sam Fisher when seeing that picture, but Ethan Thomas also poppped up and then crushed his head in a vice.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2009
    Thread needs more Max Payne 2 theme.

Spoiler version with ending:
    Non-spoiler theme on its own:

Man the ending plus that theme tune left me depressed after I finished Max Payne 2.

subedii on
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    YESSSSSSSSSS! And also NOOOOOOOOOO!

The fact stands that MP1 and 2 were some of the most forward-thinking games ever made, so much so that the gunplay, story and overall package of them is still ahead of most of today's games. This, naturally, makes me excited for a third one.

Different developer? Yknow what, I couldn't care less. Part of me wishes that Remedy was doing this, but then I remember games like Fallout 3, where an established license was given to a developer with a proven track record, who made it their own but at the same time stayed faithful to what made the earlier games great. There's no difference here, and I don't think anyone will argue that Rockstar doesn't have what it takes to make a great game. Not to mention they were involved with the first two games anyway, even if it was only on a publishing level, they still had an insight into how the games were made, and I doubt they didn't take anything away from that.

The concern from me stems from the fact that MP2 had, in my eyes, the best ending I have ever seen in a game, to one of the best stories I've seen in a game. I just don't think the story warrants another go around.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2009
    Rockstar Vancouver (formerly Barking Dog Studios) are the guys who did Bully. So, I don't know if that's a good thing or considering how buggy the 360 port of Bully was.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just finished Max payne 2 late last year, who is there left for him to kill?

I mean, everything in MP2 was wrapped up nice and tight, no loose ends.

RoyceSraphim on
This discussion has been closed.