Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

MOTW 3-18-09: um....Mahnke on GL is pretty great...

13

Posts

  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, me too. Of course, I read the hardcover, so I wasn't forced to sit through endless delays.

    Some stuff was kind of dumb, like the female Vision, Silver Surfer cults, Moondragon clones, and the oddly abrupt, anti-climactic ending, but the art was great throughout, and I liked the main thrust of the story.

    Munch on
  • AngryAngry Did you come here to kill Or did you come here to dieRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    the first two books are definitely better than the third but it's enjoyable over all.

    Angry on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The PIT, level 26Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I actually liked the surfer cults. It gave a creepy 'they're already here' feeling to the coming of Gah Lak Tus. It's a shame that the characters the series introduced will probably be permanently forgotten.

    And fuck Ultimatum. Just because a book is ending doesn't mean you need to fucking kill everyone, fuck.
    What's going to happen with Liz Allen in Ultimate Spider-man? Are we ever going to see her re-unite with her estranged father, the Blob? No, because Giantyellowjacketman (WHY) bit his head off.

    RRG.

    weenus wrote: »
    Am I horrible to think that Norman is actually fairly good at utilizing the Dark Avengers? He doesn't exactly seem to care about the roster, but he seems to understand their utilities, and I think he's leading them fairly well, all things considered.

    All of them seem to be following Osborn, but they haven't exactly done that stellar in the field so far. I'd love to see them fight the Hulk or something.

    Golden Yak on
    pod_banner.jpg
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Yeah, me too. Of course, I read the hardcover, so I wasn't forced to sit through endless delays.

    Some stuff was kind of dumb, like the female Vision, Silver Surfer cults, Moondragon clones, and the oddly abrupt, anti-climactic ending, but the art was great throughout, and I liked the main thrust of the story.

    Those clones were of Moondragon? I missed that completely. Always wondered who the hell they were, though.

    Then again, I only recognize Moondragon now because Cosmic Marvel has been so awesomely good recently.

    Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    weenus wrote: »
    Am I horrible to think that Norman is actually fairly good at utilizing the Dark Avengers? He doesn't exactly seem to care about the roster, but he seems to understand their utilities, and I think he's leading them fairly well, all things considered.

    All of them seem to be following Osborn, but they haven't exactly done that stellar in the field so far. I'd love to see them fight the Hulk or something.

    It's just like the beginning of MA, only it's not taking 3 months to get each issue out. But DA #3 made me love Bullseye.

    "Help me!"

    "Fuck you!"

    Crimsondude on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I actually liked the surfer cults. It gave a creepy 'they're already here' feeling to the coming of Gah Lak Tus. It's a shame that the characters the series introduced will probably be permanently forgotten.

    Gah lak tus could have been pretty good if it actually went anywhere. The cults ended up being pointless, and wasn't there some crazy conspiracy with Moondragon? And that's leaving aside the book just sort of coming to a dead stop.
    And fuck Ultimatum. Just because a book is ending doesn't mean you need to fucking kill everyone, fuck.
    What's going to happen with Liz Allen in Ultimate Spider-man? Are we ever going to see her re-unite with her estranged father, the Blob? No, because Giantyellowjacketman (WHY) bit his head off.

    Wait, what? Where exactly does the spoiler come from?

    werehippy on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I actually liked the surfer cults. It gave a creepy 'they're already here' feeling to the coming of Gah Lak Tus. It's a shame that the characters the series introduced will probably be permanently forgotten.

    Gah lak tus could have been pretty good if it actually went anywhere. The cults ended up being pointless, and wasn't there some crazy conspiracy with Moondragon? And that's leaving aside the book just sort of coming to a dead stop.
    And fuck Ultimatum. Just because a book is ending doesn't mean you need to fucking kill everyone, fuck.
    What's going to happen with Liz Allen in Ultimate Spider-man? Are we ever going to see her re-unite with her estranged father, the Blob? No, because Giantyellowjacketman (WHY) bit his head off.

    Wait, what? Where exactly does the spoiler come from?
    About who her father is? It was in the USM issues that showed liz getting powers.

    KVW on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really don't remember that at all, I need to check again.

    werehippy on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Are you people actually buying Ultimatum? Because you are worse than Loeb if so.

    KyleWPeterson on
  • LegbaLegba Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hell, I quit the Ultimate-verse with Ultimates vol.3 issue 1. It was the first time I ever read a comic book twice out of disbelief. How can a comic go from so good to so bad? When I took it off my pull-list, the guy at the comic shop was just "yup... had a lot of those today."

    And that's the story of how I learned to avoid reading anything by Loeb.

    Legba on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll be getting the trade of Ultimatum and Ultimates 3 for that matter mainly because I'm collecting almost all Ultimate related books in trade format. The only things I won't be getting are Ultimate Iron Man 1 & 2(don't really care about Ult.-Tony's origin), any Ultimate X-men book sans Ultimate War(what I've read in previews and such rubs me the wrong way) any Ultimate FF book past volume 6, Ultimate Marvel Team-up, Ultimate X4, and March on Ultimatum. I might eventually get Ultimate Adventures and Ultimate Power.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User
    edited March 2009
    That seems like a waste of money, and you're sending a message to Marvel that you are eager to purchase Loeb-written titles.

    KyleWPeterson on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Wanted Dead or Alive 50 BellyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'll be getting the trade of Ultimatum and Ultimates 3 for that matter mainly because I'm collecting almost all Ultimate related books in trade format. The only things I won't be getting are Ultimate Iron Man 1 & 2(don't really care about Ult.-Tony's origin), any Ultimate X-men book sans Ultimate War(what I've read in previews and such rubs me the wrong way) any Ultimate FF book past volume 6, Ultimate Marvel Team-up, Ultimate X4, and March on Ultimatum. I might eventually get Ultimate Adventures and Ultimate Power.

    That's wrong. You're doing it wrong.

    TexiKen on
    svGX1mU.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'll be getting the trade of Ultimatum and Ultimates 3 for that matter mainly because I'm collecting almost all Ultimate related books in trade format. The only things I won't be getting are Ultimate Iron Man 1 & 2(don't really care about Ult.-Tony's origin), any Ultimate X-men book sans Ultimate War(what I've read in previews and such rubs me the wrong way) any Ultimate FF book past volume 6, Ultimate Marvel Team-up, Ultimate X4, and March on Ultimatum. I might eventually get Ultimate Adventures and Ultimate Power.

    That's wrong. You're doing it wrong.

    Eh, I don't think Ultimatum's that bad but keep in mind I've only read two things that I thought were truly awfully written. Those two being Onslaught Reborn(written by Loeb I know) and the first two issues of Salvation Run.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'll be getting the trade of Ultimatum and Ultimates 3 for that matter mainly because I'm collecting almost all Ultimate related books in trade format. The only things I won't be getting are Ultimate Iron Man 1 & 2(don't really care about Ult.-Tony's origin), any Ultimate X-men book sans Ultimate War(what I've read in previews and such rubs me the wrong way) any Ultimate FF book past volume 6, Ultimate Marvel Team-up, Ultimate X4, and March on Ultimatum. I might eventually get Ultimate Adventures and Ultimate Power.

    That's wrong. You're doing it wrong.

    Eh, I don't think Ultimatum's that bad but keep in mind I've only read two things that I thought were truly awfully written. Those two being Onslaught Reborn(written by Loeb I know) and the first two issues of Salvation Run.

    Ultimate Iron Man was one of the best ultimate books released, and Ultimatum is by far worse than anything else you listed. Except Ultimate FF, which was just as bad later in the series.

    Mai-Kero on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Legba wrote: »
    Hell, I quit the Ultimate-verse with Ultimates vol.3 issue 1. It was the first time I ever read a comic book twice out of disbelief. How can a comic go from so good to so bad? When I took it off my pull-list, the guy at the comic shop was just "yup... had a lot of those today."

    And that's the story of how I learned to avoid reading anything by Loeb.

    By completely changing the creative team on it and giving it to a hack writer who manages to appear popular by jumping from one popular intellectual property to another, relying on people who buy for the character rather than the writing to prop up his inabilities.

    psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've jumped into the Ultimate-verse at a bad time. I picked U3 because the art looked good and was totally let down because of robot love. And now Ultimatum has zombies, and I sort of dislike zombies. I hear USM is great, but I'm wondering what else I should pick up.

    kfrooster on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The funny thing is, there are no zombies in Ultimatum. It's just cannibalism and comeuppance cannibalism.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The PIT, level 26Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, there's the part where Thor is fighting the armies of the dead in the Norse afterlife. Sadly, even an all out battle with a horde of zombie vikings can't keep this story from sucking.

    Also, wirehead, if by March on Ultimatum you mean Ultimate Origins, you should get it. Origins is actually okay.
    werehippy wrote: »
    I really don't remember that at all, I need to check again.

    Strange but true.

    Golden Yak on
    pod_banner.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Well, there's the part where Thor is fighting the armies of the dead in the Norse afterlife. Sadly, even an all out battle with a horde of zombie vikings can't keep this story from sucking.

    Also, wirehead, if by March on Ultimatum you mean Ultimate Origins, you should get it. Origins is actually okay.
    werehippy wrote: »
    I really don't remember that at all, I need to check again.

    Strange but true.

    USM 120.

    sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The funny thing is, there are no zombies in Ultimatum. It's just cannibalism and comeuppance cannibalism.

    The Blob looked like a zombie. I'm going to stick with it that there are indeed zombies therein.

    kfrooster on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Well, there's the part where Thor is fighting the armies of the dead in the Norse afterlife. Sadly, even an all out battle with a horde of zombie vikings can't keep this story from sucking.

    Also, wirehead, if by March on Ultimatum you mean Ultimate Origins, you should get it. Origins is actually okay.
    werehippy wrote: »
    I really don't remember that at all, I need to check again.

    Strange but true.

    I meant the March on Ultimatum book that collects all the annuals that supposedly built up to Ultimatum. I only picked up the Spider-man one but I did skim through Hulk one and I thought it was funny in it's absurdity. Great art too.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dark Avengers is a really awesome book, guys.
    Aside from the conversation between Osborn and Sentry, yes.

    Seeing him act like a retarded paranoid child is a continuing reminder that Bendis has no idea how to write this character.

    I'm begging him (or anyone who has only been unfortunately exposed to the character through Avengers) to go back and read the minis. Begging.

    He's not a whimpering bitch with a tiny IQ that can't stand on his own two feet.

    Bendis is so sadly consumed with the idea of getting to write about his psychosis (which he's doing a shit job of mind you) that he's pretty much jettisoned whatever else was left of the character before he came along and fucked him up.

    I'm convinced at this point that he didn't actually want the Sentry, he just wanted to write about a crazy person in stereotypical fashion.

    Theres no layers to this shit with Brian, all the work he's done with this character has been see through and a failure.

    Dr. Chaos on
    Ab3HW.png
    FF14: Buckle Landrunner
    Steam Profile
    3DS FC: 1246-9730-5556
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It doesn't really work to write him as he was in the Mini, though.

    Because if you write him like that, he sacrifices himself for the good of mankind, destroying all knowledge of his existence.

    I really don't think he should have made it out of the mini-series, but if he must I can deal with "He's gone kind of psychotic after all this" as an overall direction.

    durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to the International Rescue Committee, the National Immigration Law Center, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and the American Civil Liberties Union. There has never been a more urgent moment to do so.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It doesn't really work to write him as he was in the Mini, though.

    Because if you write him like that, he sacrifices himself for the good of mankind, destroying all knowledge of his existence.

    I really don't think he should have made it out of the mini-series, but if he must I can deal with "He's gone kind of psychotic after all this" as an overall direction.

    In the second mini he comes to terms with the Void
    (incidentally, the Void created the Sentry to balance out his evil deeds, not the other way around)
    and is no longer wont to give everyone amnesia.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The most awful part about this whole Loeb writing...thing, is that somehow, someway, it will fuck with USM. USM has been my favorite book since issue 28.

    You already took Amazing Spider-Man from me, please don't take Ultimate Spidey.

    projectmayhem on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The most awful part about this whole Loeb writing...thing, is that somehow, someway, it will fuck with USM. USM has been my favorite book since issue 28.

    You already took Amazing Spider-Man from me, please don't take Ultimate Spidey.

    Personally, I wouldn't mind one of Pete's clones taking over USM for awhile. I've read all of USM and I think reading the book from the female clones perspective would be neat and freshen up the story a bit, not that I thought the book was getting bad or anything.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'll be getting the trade of Ultimatum and Ultimates 3 for that matter mainly because I'm collecting almost all Ultimate related books in trade format. The only things I won't be getting are Ultimate Iron Man 1 & 2(don't really care about Ult.-Tony's origin), any Ultimate X-men book sans Ultimate War(what I've read in previews and such rubs me the wrong way) any Ultimate FF book past volume 6, Ultimate Marvel Team-up, Ultimate X4, and March on Ultimatum. I might eventually get Ultimate Adventures and Ultimate Power.

    Ultimate Adventures is better than everything else you named. You should pick it up. Especially before fucking Ultimatum and Ultimates 3.

    SageinaRage on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sage knows what's up.

    Wildcat on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Got Ultimate Power was such absolute tralk.

    Why are you buying such horrible things stop it.

    Bloods End on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Ultimate Team-up was awesome.

    KyleWPeterson on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If it makes you fell better Bloods End I probably won't get Ultimate Power just for the fact that if I do get it I'll want to pick up JMS's Squadron Supreme run for completion sake. I'm not saying I think it'd be bad but I buy to many tpb's already.

    I'm staying away from Ultimate Marvel Team-up mainly because of the continuity issues the series brought to the Ultimate Marvel U. but if I can get it cheap I might pick it up in the future.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • VirralVirral Registered User
    edited March 2009
    JMS's Squadron Supreme is so good though. You should buy that and forget about Ultimate Power (although I personally didn't hate it, it wasn't great either).

    Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Compared to subsequent Ultimate Mega-Events and the rest of Squadron Supreme, it certainly doesn't seem very bad.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    JMS's Squadron Supreme is so good though. You should buy that and forget about Ultimate Power (although I personally didn't hate it, it wasn't great either).

    Damnit, Virral, stop tempting me to lighten my bank account. I've already got the DSi on my plate.

    Edit: Skimming through the Wiki article on Supreme Power I might pick up the main series at least if only for Gary Franks art. Marvel just released the Pre-war years tpb so I might pick that up but the re-released hardcovers of the main series are too overpriced for my liking. The first hardcovers released are a much better value but they're probably not in print anymore.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Virral wrote: »
    JMS's Squadron Supreme is so good though. You should buy that and forget about Ultimate Power (although I personally didn't hate it, it wasn't great either).

    Damnit, Virral, stop tempting me to lighten my bank account. I've already got the DSi on my plate.

    Edit: Skimming through the Wiki article on Supreme Power I might pick up the main series at least if only for Gary Franks art. Marvel just released the Pre-war years tpb so I might pick that up but the re-released hardcovers of the main series are too overpriced for my liking. The first hardcovers released are a much better value but they're probably not in print anymore.

    Seriously, the DSi? God-damn, if you own the DS, there's no reason to switch. All you're getting is a fraction of an inch on the screen, two worthless cameras (less than a megapixel), and the loss of your GBA slot for an SD slot (as if, say, you're ever going to use this as your MP3 player).

    mattharvest on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Downloadable games though. It's going to use the Wii online store.

    SageinaRage on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And you'll be able to download GB and GBA games, apparently.

    Antimatter on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey- nothing like paying for games I already own again, huh?

    Tach on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, it's not like you have a choice, right?

    edit:: This was sarcasm.

    SageinaRage on
Sign In or Register to comment.