As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Max Payne 3 coming this Winter

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    I never played 2.

Really dug the first one until those dream sequences kept reappearing, and those kinda caused the game to slow to a crawl.

Play 2, its fucking awesome. Short but awesome.

But really....what the fuck are they going to do to Max now? Poor git.

He's going to marry Mona Sax, then go to marriage counselling because of how unstable the basis of their relationship is.

Well that might happen. Depends on what ending from Max Payne 2 they use:lol:

Karl on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The regular ending for Max Payne 2 is so, so much better than the "special" ending. It elevated the game into something way more than what I thought it would be.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They made Bully. I am highly skeptical and would really hate to see them kill the Payne series with a lackluster finale.

SithDrummer on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    The regular ending for Max Payne 2 is so, so much better than the "special" ending. It elevated the game into something way more than what I thought it would be.

What's the special ending? I really liked the story from Max Payne 2, for some reason the story from Max Payne 1 didn't interest me until the very end, but I liked 2's straight from the beginning till the end.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    custom_1237811317319_MP3_Poster.jpg

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ampix wrote: »

What's the special ending? I really liked the story from Max Payne 2, for some reason the story from Max Payne 1 didn't interest me until the very end, but I liked 2's straight from the beginning till the end.
    Mona lives at the end. I think it undoes a lot of the emotional impact of everyone Max knows dying in front of him, and the final line: "I had a dream of my wife. She was dead. But it was all right." has a different connotation because it implies Max gets to hook up with Mona and live happily ever after. At least, how I took it.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2009

Mona survives.

SithDrummer on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You have to complete the game on Hard to get the special ending. It's basically the same, except
    Mona lives.

Oh, and the final few images are different. As is a few lines of dialog. But, that's basically it.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    oh god, that picture of Max is making me worried...is he bald?

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hmm..based on that pic Max looks like he has put on plenty of muscle. Where's my wise cracking scrawny cop? He had good hair

I've loved this series since "playing it Bogart"

tallgeeze on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesome. I loved the first one. It's probably about time I play the second one, though.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    About the special ending:
    Wow, that is a really bad ending. I think that the tragedy of Max's character is only enforced by the fact that everybody dies around him, and then they slap you in the face with that. Good thing I didn't finish the game on hard.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/max-payne-3-out-this-winter
    Take-Two has announced that Max Payne 3 is in development at Rockstar Vancouver and will be released for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC this winter.

The game was originally mooted all the way back in 2004, but things have been quiet since. Original developer Remedy is not involved by the sound of it.

While specific details about MP3 are thin on the ground, we're told that gritty, trenchcoat-loving grumpy-guts Max is now retired but still "embroiled in a world of corruption, turmoil and intense violence".

In fact, Max has left New York behind, and having been double-crossed, is now trapped "in a city full of violence and bloodshed, using his weapons and instincts in a desperate search for the truth and a way out".

We're also promised "more of the classic elements and hyper-intense action that fans have come to love", although the game will be "moving the story of Max in a new direction".

"We're starting a new chapter of Max's life with this game," said Sam Houser, Rockstar Games founder.

"This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his last chance for salvation."

Hurm. Not being developed by Remedy, I would assume not being written by Sam Lake. I'm skeptical until I hear more.

So they're gonna change everything while keeping everything exact the same way?o_O o_O o_O

Color me confused.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2009
    Thinking back on my reactions to this game, I had to go verify something.

Yep, the first one was released in July of 2001. My oldest daughter was born in December of 2001.

So yeah, the first one had a very personal impact on me. Though the second was improved in many ways (if not all), the first one drove a hook deep into my soul that will probably never come out. I will be closely watching to see how 3 plays out. And even then...I might just buy it no matter, even though it might cause me pain.

(And as I recall, the painkillers were the only way to get back to full health. They did, however, add regenerating bullet time to the second, which also slowed down further and further as you killed more targets with your weaponry.)

Marikir on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    Awesome. I loved the first one. It's probably about time I play the second one, though.

Please do. It's short, but that's maybe the only complaint. It is such a good game.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

Please do. It's short, but that's maybe the only complaint. It is such a good game.

I LIKE the fact that MP2 is kinda short. MP1 was way too long. I lost my save after 2/3s of the game and never had the patience to restart.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmm. I wonder if steam's weekend deal will have anything to do with this announcement? 5 dollar Max Payne pack, perhaps? :D

I'd buy it now, but I always hear horror stories about someone buying L4D or something for 50 bucks, and then 2 days later it's 25. I don't wanna be that guy.

anoffday on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i only recently played through the first one, and it was spectacular.
    if you want the same style gameplay you should check out stranglehold, it's a pretty fun game in the same style, except more 'arcadey'.

i'm looking forward to this, but i do hope the writing is as good. i don't doubt rockstar's ability, but i can see them trying to overhaul it ala GTA4. also, pleasepleaseplease keep the comic strips. the art for those were fanastic (in fact i saw an awesome background made from them awhile back).

Local H Jay on
    edited March 2009
    if you want the same style gameplay you should check out stranglehold, it's a pretty fun game in the same style, except more 'arcadey'.

i'm looking forward to this, but i do hope the writing is as good. i don't doubt rockstar's ability, but i can see them trying to overhaul it ala GTA4. also, pleasepleaseplease keep the comic strips. the art for those were fanastic (in fact i saw an awesome background made from them awhile back).

As suggested, try the second one. Very good.

I've not heard a lot of opinions on Stranglehold. Preferred version? Reactions? PM is fine, if you don't want to clutter this thread. (Note to self: Check for PA thread on Stranglehold.)

Marikir on
    edited March 2009
    Wow, that is a really bad ending. I think that the tragedy of Max's character is only enforced by the fact that everybody dies around him, and then they slap you in the face with that. Good thing I didn't finish the game on hard.
    It may not have been true to the tragic nature of Payne, but goddamn it, Max just needs to win one once in awhile.

SithDrummer on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've only played Max Payne 2 once and I've almost completely forgotten the story. This is going to be so much fun to play through again. I lost my copy, so I'm going to have to go on a hunt, though.

Muddy Water on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I loved the first game, but never played the second. I should get on that.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It may not have been true to the tragic nature of Payne, but goddamn it, Max just needs to win one once in awhile.

Pretty much. After everything that's happened to him, I felt Max was deserving of at least a little break.

subedii on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Max Payne 2 was great. A step up from the first one and fun times all around.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Marikir wrote: »

As suggested, try the second one. Very good.

I've not heard a lot of opinions on Stranglehold. Preferred version? Reactions? PM is fine, if you don't want to clutter this thread. (Note to self: Check for PA thread on Stranglehold.)

i played stranglehold on 360. it plays alot like max payne but with carts and rail-grinding that make your character extra 'slippery'. the story kindof blows and is mobster-drugs-murder dreck. but the gameplay is stupid fun, atleast worth a rental (you'd probably beat it in that time anyways)

Local H Jay on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Max didn't look as much like Mickey Rooney in 2 so I never played it.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm willing to have some faith in the crew that made Bully. Whatever the studio, Rockstar isn't in the habit of putting out bad games. I just hope they don't change up the gameplay too much from MP2 - I want to see a bunch of idiot reviewers scoring low because the series hasn't evolved.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • StopAndSwishStopAndSwish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    'A long time ago, i had hair. Now, a bleak, bare landscape exists where follicles once thrived. I grow a beard now, to remind myself of better days.'

StopAndSwish on
    edited March 2009
    To anyone who played Max Payne who didn't play Max Payne 2-

PLAY IT.

It didn't do well when it first came out for some reason that continues to elude me. In fact, it's poor performance is why it's taken this long for a MP3 to be announced.

Correct your error and play Max Payne 2.

Marikir on
    edited March 2009
    Does anyone know if MP2 is BC on the 360? I might go that route if I can find it cheaper.

anoffday on
    edited March 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    I'm willing to have some faith in the crew that made Bully. Whatever the studio, Rockstar isn't in the habit of putting out bad games. I just hope they don't change up the gameplay too much from MP2 - I want to see a bunch of idiot reviewers scoring low because the series hasn't evolved.

See, Max Payne 1 and 2 were on the PC first and ported to consoles after, and the PC versions were outstanding. If they decide to release concurrently on consoles and PCs, the PC version's quality is up in the air: will it be a PC-focused game like TF2, or something like CoD4/Fallout 3 with a handful of console hallmarks? If it is released on console first, all bets are off for the PC version. It could be a GTAIV that takes a while to get patched up to speed on the PC, a Mass Effect that is a fantastic port, or it could be (now referring to the chosen dev) another Bully - maybe great on the consoles, but a horrible game and a horrible port on the PC side of things.

I'm a tad anxious.

ed:
    Does anyone know if MP2 is BC on the 360? I might go that route if I can find it cheaper.
    BC?

SithDrummer on
    edited March 2009
    Bully was fun on the consoles. What made it so bad on PC?

anoffday on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    'A long time ago, i had hair. Now, a bleak, bare landscape exists where follicles once thrived. I grow a beard now, to remind myself of better days.'

'I stroke my beard as if I was a philosopher king at the Acropolis. It was the very nature of man. A murder had gone down.'

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited March 2009

See, Max Payne 1 and 2 were on the PC first and ported to consoles after, and the PC versions were outstanding. If they decide to release concurrently on consoles and PCs, the PC version's quality is up in the air: will it be a PC-focused game like TF2, or something like CoD4/Fallout 3 with a handful of console hallmarks? If it is released on console first, all bets are off for the PC version. It could be a GTAIV that takes a while to get patched up to speed on the PC, a Mass Effect that is a fantastic port, or it could be (now referring to the chosen dev) another Bully - maybe great on the consoles, but a horrible game and a horrible port on the PC side of things.

I'm a tad anxious.

ed:
    BC?

He's asking about if it's Backwards Compatable or not.

Don't know myself, as I played it on PC and hope to do so with the third.

Marikir on
    edited March 2009
    The first 2 MP games are really fucking great with mouse aiming.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't think I could ever play a Max Payne without a mouse. Every time I played a third-person game after playing Max Payne, I'd start right-clicking, expecting to dive in slow-motion.

Muddy Water on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Max payne two was pretty perfect in every way.

I can't wait for three, I am just afraid that its obvious that he will be dead by the end of it...

And yes mouse aiming was awesome for it.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Marikir wrote: »

I'm a tad anxious.

ed:
    BC?

He's asking about if it's Backwards Compatable or not.

Don't know myself, as I played it on PC and hope to do so with the third.

I believe they are both BC, 1 and 2.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Original Press Release
    PRESS RELEASE
    Rockstar Games Announces Max Payne 3 for Winter 2009

New York, NY – March 23, 2009 – Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is proud to announce that Max Payne 3 is currently in development and scheduled for a winter 2009 release on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and PC. Developed by Rockstar Vancouver, Max Payne 3 tells the story of a retired police detective embroiled in a world of corruption, turmoil and intense violence.

The award-winning Max Payne franchise put players in the role of Max Payne, a hard-boiled New York City detective with a penchant for violence, out to avenge the death of his family. The latest installment delivers more of the classic elements and hyper-intense action that fans have come to love, while moving the story of Max in a new direction.

"We're starting a new chapter of Max's life with this game," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his last chance for salvation."

Since leaving the NYPD and New York itself behind, Max has drifted from bad to worse. Double-crossed and a long way from home, Max is now trapped in a city full of violence and bloodshed, using his weapons and instincts in a desperate search for the truth and a way out.

Max Payne 3 will be available in winter 2009 for Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 and PC.

For more information, log onto www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3.

http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/ (banner pic of Max: Now With Beard Action)

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I.. I've never played either.
    :cry:

Rizzi on
This discussion has been closed.