As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Solicitations for June 2009

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Graphic Violence
New Solicits from Marvel for June. I'll update the thread when the full ones are out.

EDIT: Full solicitations are out:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090324-marvel-june-2009-solicitations.html

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GODDAMN MOTHERFUCK NO

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU BASTARDS CANCELING IRON FIST :x:x:x:x

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, that surprised me too. I mean, it's still selling roughly 23,000 copies, which, while definitely not good, isn't terrible. Especially as it had been trending downwards at a pretty gentle pace of a few hundred copies per issue. A tie-in to Dark Reign, which Swierczynski said he planned to do, could have probably driven numbers up and bought the book a little more time. The same strategy's been successful for books like Ms. Marvel and Black Panther.

Then again, maybe Swierczynski just had other things to focus on, and Marvel decided to end the book on a high note.

Munch on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    GODDAMN MOTHERFUCK NO

Because they don't like you.

Nothing in the advanced solicts that makes my mouth water...maybe with the exception of PUNISHER: FRANK CASTLE - NAKED KILL #1. That looks interesting in a "let's mix Frank Castle with McGyver" kind of way
    PUNISHER: FRANK CASTLE - NAKED KILL #1
    Written by JONATHAN MABERRY
    Penciled by LAURENCE CAMPBELL
    Cover by TIM BRADSTREET
    What do pencils, a feather duster and a plastic trash-bag have in common? To stop a murderous snuff film ring, Frank Castle has to infiltrate a building with a security system so tight that he can’t bring in any weapons. Nothing. Nada. Just his own wits, inventiveness and ruthless efficiency. Oh, and a few cleaning products and office supplies. It’s the Punisher at his ruthless best; as you’ve never seen him before -- the bad guys won’t know what hit them. Multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning author Jonathan Maberry (Patient Zero) takes the Punisher into dark territory in this stand-alone tale.
    40 PGS./One-Shot/Explicit Content ...$3.99

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
    edited March 2009
    It sucks because Swierczynski's been awesome on the book. Once it's gone, I highly doubt I'll replace it with another book.

wwtMask on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GODDAMN MOTHERFUCK NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD:

Edit: And the cover for Nova 26 has made me a happy man (though we all knew it would happen)
    84_nova_26.jpg

NOVA #26
    Written by DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING
    Penciled by ANDREA DI VITO
    Cover by DANIEL ACUÑA
    80s DECADE VARIANT BY TBA
    A WAR OF KINGS TIE-IN! He’s back! Nova Prime goes to war! It’s high tech, full throttle sci-fi combat mayhem as the Human Rocket blasts into the firestorm to find and rescue the Corps centurions swept up in the catastrophe! And one of them is a certain Robbie Rider...missing and presumed dead! It’s not too late to join the latest cosmic event in a jump-on-board issue of the book Aint It Cool News calls “a new classic in Marvel’s line-up."
    32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

Karl on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    First I was happy because IIF had a Marko cover, but now the cancellation news killed that buzz.

More money I get to keep each month and I can be glad I have a full run of it in singles, I guess.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    See, Iron Fist is canceled to make way for shit like Fantastic Force, because it's HARDCORE WOOOOOOO....

Kosmo and RR team up finally to save the universe. I just like that cover.

Hey, two Captain Britain issues in June, that's cool. Shame it has a shit Greg Land cover for the annual.

TexiKen on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eh, I won't miss Iron Fist too much. The story hasn't been great since like issue 10, and the art has not been anything special either.

Danny's a great character and I hope he sticks around in New Avengers.

deadonthestreet on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eh, I won't miss Iron Fist too much. The story hasn't been great since like issue 10, and the art has not been anything special either.

Danny's a great character and I hope he sticks around in New Avengers.
    You are a horrible person.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009

Get off of my internets. :x

wwtMask on
    edited March 2009
    Hm, it looks like mention of Iron Fist's cancellation has been removed from the solicitation.

Munch on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, it did disappear, didn't it? I wonder what happened there. The answer to that had better be "our bad, it ain't canceled".

wwtMask on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, it did disappear, didn't it? I wonder what happened there. The answer to that had better be "our bad, it ain't canceled".

If it is, it just shows Marvel's marketing department are absolute idiots.

"Hey guys, which books are we making again? Schucks, I fowgot."

TexiKen on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I should never read these solicitations.
    "The shockwaves after the death of Magneto are still reverberating all over the world."

o rly. I mean, I guess I don't care that much and I don't believe it's permanent, but still.

But I like this cover: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=solicits/marvelcomics/200906/119_UNCANNY_X_MEN_512.jpg

desc on
    edited March 2009
    desc wrote: »
    I should never read these solicitations.
    "The shockwaves after the death of Magneto are still reverberating all over the world."

o rly. I mean, I guess I don't care that much and I don't believe it's permanent, but still.

That's from the X-Men Forever solicit. It's an alternate universe.

wwtMask on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh. I meant to say, "I should never read these solicitations, or at least I should read them more carefully."

Honestly I wouldn't care that much either way, though.

desc on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't miss the first Avengers/X-Men crossover in over 15 years!

Uh...

House of M was fifteen years ago?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's an "event". The title of "crossover" is usually restricted to the monthlies. Wolverine: Origins and X-Men Legacy had a crossover recently, while Secret Invasion was an event.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited March 2009
    UNCANNY X-MEN #511
    Written by MATT FRACTION
    Pencils & Cover by GREG LAND
    "Sisterhood"
    We will let this image speak for itself! Part 4 (of 4).

Hm. I love Jean Grey. I can honestly say she's one of my favorite characters. But I really don't expect them to bring her back unless it's a huge event. It's certainly supposed to be her, though. Graveyard? Phoenix-y fire? Red hair?

118_UNCANNY_X_MEN_511.jpg

UNCANNY X-MEN #512
    Written by MATT FRACTION
    Pencils & Cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    "The Origins of the Species"
    As the X-Men reel from the return of one of the greatest X-Ladies, Beast and Angel take the X-Club back to 1906 to investigate the origins of the mutant species as we know it. See the earliest stages of the Hellfire Club and the very first Sentinel ever! This story is not to be missed!
    48 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Really?

Edit: Actually, is June around the time the Messiah War is ending? The kid could return, and then it could be all "Surprise! It's Jean. Not that much of a surprise, though!"

Faynor on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Cover by Greg Land"

Four greatest words in the English language. :P

Still, I agree with Bendis about Jean. The first writer to yank her out of this death and rebirth bullshit and make her more like she was in Alibi will be rewarded with nerd girls thrown at him by the trios.

He. Punched. A. Fucking. TRAIN!

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    UNCANNY X-MEN #511
    Written by MATT FRACTION
    Pencils & Cover by GREG LAND
    "Sisterhood"
    We will let this image speak for itself! Part 4 (of 4).

Hm. I love Jean Grey. I can honestly say she's one of my favorite characters. But I really don't expect them to bring her back unless it's a huge event. It's certainly supposed to be her, though. Graveyard? Phoenix-y fire? Red hair?

118_UNCANNY_X_MEN_511.jpg

UNCANNY X-MEN #512
    Written by MATT FRACTION
    Pencils & Cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    "The Origins of the Species"
    As the X-Men reel from the return of one of the greatest X-Ladies, Beast and Angel take the X-Club back to 1906 to investigate the origins of the mutant species as we know it. See the earliest stages of the Hellfire Club and the very first Sentinel ever! This story is not to be missed!
    48 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Really?

Edit: Actually, is June around the time the Messiah War is ending? The kid could return, and then it could be all "Surprise! It's Jean. Not that much of a surprise, though!"
    Maddie tries to host the whole Phoenix power or something, because the bird is so dumb it gave some of its power to her in the beginning of her cloned life, hilarity ensues

TexiKen on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GODDAMN MOTHERFUCK NO

Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck. I hate you, Marvel.

edit: Wait. Maybe not canceled? Well, I still hate Marvel for OMD, but maybe not for canceling their second-best book.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Oh, wow. I guess I somehow completely forgot about her. That's probably it, or something like it. Good call!

Faynor on
    edited March 2009
    Ugh. That doesn't make it better.

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2009
    Marvel loves to fuck with me with their covers. They'll put someone I like on it so I buy it, and then it'll be a total fakeout. I guess it's the nature of the beast with comics, but still! I see Captain Marvel on the fucking cover, I expect the story to involve fucking Captain Marvel!
    I still kind of hope it's her, for real. If you take it for what it says, (which is a risky endeavor considering the marketing department wrote them) how would they be reeling from Maddy? Perplexing.

Faynor on
    edited March 2009
    Marvel Previews had a banner over the cover of Uncanny #510: The return of Psylocke. Nice to see her on the cover of #512.

Crimsondude on
  • HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Brubakers Twitter says Iron Fist is NOT canceled and that it is just a typo

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
    edited March 2009
    Yay!

Faynor on
    edited March 2009
    BTW, I love how the only Kitty Pryde you're going to see is written by Chris Claremont.

This must be part of the X-office's "Fuck You" campaign.

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2009
    Hey, the marketing at Marvel sucks, and the solicits don't mean anything anymore.

Remember the solicit about the Nightcrawler one-shot that came out a few weeks ago? He was supposed to quit the team because Pixie could do everything he can. It was supposed to be a big turning point in his role for the team.

The actual issue was nothing of the sort.

Same with Ghost Boxes.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2009
    What actually happened in that issue, exactly? (The Nightcrawler one. I never read it.)

Faynor on
    edited March 2009
    He quit the team, went to Germany to see his old circus, something with Europeans all looking like they came from the 19th century with torches and pitchforks, and comes back to the team by issue's end

TexiKen on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    He. Punched. A. Fucking. TRAIN!
    Ok yeah, awesome stuff happened, but the story itself got lost somewhere in there. It was a journey of discovery for Danny, finding out about his past and expanding his understanding of his powers. But then it just turned into neat stuff happening with little or no character growth.

It isn't bad or anything, I just don't think it's anywhere near what it could or should be. So I wouldn't be all that sad to see it get a rest and then come back in a year or two.

deadonthestreet on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    He quit the team, went to Germany to see his old circus, something with Europeans all looking like they came from the 19th century with torches and pitchforks, and comes back to the team by issue's end

He also made out with a fangirl (nice!).

Robos A Go Go on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Brubakers Twitter says Iron Fist is NOT canceled and that it is just a typo

What the hell kind of typo is that?

Those keys aren't anywhere near each other.

werehippy on
    edited March 2009
    Ah, Gischler was the third guy after Hurwitz and Swierczynski. I really wish Charlie Huston got on board Punisher MAX. Stupid writing novels people and critics like.

Crimsondude on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait, they are bringing Exiles back with Blink? I might have to read that when it starts.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Captain Britain gets an annual. Any more Captain Britain is a good thing.

Bogart on
    edited March 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Wait, they are bringing Exiles back with Blink? I might have to read that when it starts.

Written by Jeff Parker (he of Agents of Atlas).

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2009
    I'm definitely down for Exiles, based solely on Parker writing it. Dude has almost never disappointed me. It helps that the interior artist is no slouch, and I've always enjoyed the concept, if not the execution, of Exiles.

Munch on