As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E] King of the Trollhaunt Warrens - Table Talk Thread

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm off to work, so no map updates for a little while. I'll be home around noon today, though.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    for those of ye not familiar with Bravura Warlords

Bravura Presence works like this:

When you use an action point to make an extra attack, you can choose to use Aziz' Bravura Presence

After choosing to use Bravura Presence, if you hit with that extra attack, you can either make a basic attack or a move action after that attack as a free action.

If you miss, you grant combat advantage to all enemies until the end of your next turn.

Fortune Favors the Bold!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    also dammit strikers get yourselves in deep on the first round why don't ya :P

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I added all your guys HP totals and defenses to the latest Encounter Information block, so if people start throwing around AOEs you'll be able to roll accordingly.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    Thank you for that, DVG! <3

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    paging Mr. Dardek

Mr. Dardek please report to the clusterfuck at the middle of the map

:)

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    also dammit strikers get yourselves in deep on the first round why don't ya :P

It seemed like something a barbarian would do. :D

Foolish Chaos on
    edited March 2009
    It did. It was glorious, too :D

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Also Siali that was fucking beautiful. 71 damage holy shit!

I'm glad I gotcha flanking as well as Bravura Presence!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, Siali. Damn.

That's going to be pretty awesome when it happens.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    BTW, thanks for this opportunity, man. I've been really wanting to see what a Bravura Presence can do, and so far the possibilities are looking quite nice... some good stuff to be had working in concert with the strikers and defender.

edit: also I forgot to mention that "Improved Bravura" also gives you a +1 to attack or +1 to move, depending upon your choice.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I will definitely be using Bravura Presence now that I know what it does. Really cool stuff.

Also psolms, 71 damage. Holy crap!

Foolish Chaos on
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i was looking at the averages, and if i would have critted one more time, i could have pretty much killed it in one round... (after the 7 ongoing at the beginning of its turn)

daggermaster indeed...

psolms on
    edited March 2009
    The Half-see-through Oni Mage Icon with the big question mark on it is his last known position, you don't know where the big invisible bastard is now.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    Also, be sure to declare in your attack blocks the kind of damage your dealing. In paragon tier we're going to run into resistances and similar effects fairly often. If there is no type, I'll assume it's physical damage.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    D: Holy shit missed by 1 each time.

On my first attack, I was thinking "Ok so Power Attack seems pretty viable against these guys, seeing as they have such a low AC. I mean, I would need a 3 to miss them." I roll a 3.

Then, I think: "Ok well maybe for my action point I shouldn't use power attack, just to be safe. Oh, hes bloodied, so I get a +1, thus I would have to roll a 2 to miss. Impossible." I roll a 2.

D:D:D:

Foolish Chaos on
    edited March 2009
    Please feel free to check my math on damage from the Oni mage. I'm sure I made a mistake somewhere.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    Just to toss it out there, Edgil's hp should have increased from 40 to his healing surge value +15, which should probably put him back at full hit points.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Also: on area attacks such as blasts and bursts you roll to hit each character, but you only roll damage once for all the characters that were affected by it.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Maybe we should just copy and paste the encounter block after each of our moves, incorporating the changes our characters made to the monsters, and marking the status effects on our own character and taking them away when appropriate. Would make DVG's job much easier, and less confusing. He also wouldn't have to post after every character move, I wouldn't think.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited March 2009
    That's not a bad idea at all, I like that.

I may even steal it for the game that I run :)

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Also: on area attacks such as blasts and bursts you roll to hit each character, but you only roll damage once for all the characters that were affected by it.

You're right, that's my bad.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    That's more for Dardek's benefit than mine :)

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Stepped back through it and fixed the Encounter Information, here is the process:

Okay, I'm going to step through this. The same characters will get hit, but I'll roll damage once and apply it universally, like I should have initially.

Edgil should have been at Full Health at the start of the Oni Mage's turn due to Aziz's Inspiring Word.

Oni Mage hits Troll A, Dardek and Jack with Lightning Storm for 2d6+4 Lightning Damage, with an extra d6 for comabat advantage coming from being invisible, which comes out to be 14 Damage Total.

Troll A takes 14 Damage-
    Dardek Takes 14 Damage-
    Jack Takes 14 Damage-

Oni Mage uses Freezing Blast and hits Siali, Dardek and Aziz for 1d8+6 Cold Damage and applies the Slowed Condition (save ends). He not longer had combat advantage for being invisible, and thus does not get an extra d6. Total Damage = 14 again (soft crit)

Siali takes 14 Damage and is Slowed (Save Ends)
    Dardek takes 14 Damage (Total 28) and is Slowed (Save Ends)
    Aziz Takes 14 Damage and is Slowed (Save Ends)

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    Happy Birthday, DVG

also: JACK

if Aziz can yell at you as a free action he'll probably shout for you to get better positioning

which would mean shifting to the right so that you and he can stay within melee distance of one another should the troll shift to the right one square

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Thanks, sir.

I like the copying of the Encounter Block on each character's turn. I changed the scheme so status effects are in yellow and stand out.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    DVG wrote: »
    I like the copying of the Encounter Block on each character's turn. I changed the scheme so status effects are in yellow and stand out.

I like the yellow... good contrast. Maybe the red text could be orange or pink so that it'd stand out a bit better too? It's makin' me kinda squinty :P

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    so dvg, can you tell me who all i have stealth against? or did none of them beat my stealth check?

psolms on
    edited March 2009
    your stealth check is opposed by their passive perception unless they used a minor action to actively look for you.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    You were hidden from everyone, however, the attack action you took would have exposed you, so you are no longer hidden (Though you still benefit from the concealment the undergrowth confers)

Going by the New Stealth Rules from PHB2

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    Since you are going to be a Sneaky McSneakerson, I'll make your life easier and add Passive Perception to the stats in the Encounter Info block.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    you are too kind, sir. :D

psolms on
    edited March 2009
    Done. It's at the end of the line, denoted by "PP"

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    well with my stealth bonus of +20, the only way i wouldnt beat their passive perception is if i critically fail.
    Again.

This makes Siali a happy rogue.

psolms on
    edited March 2009
    Happy Birthday, DVG

also: JACK

if Aziz can yell at you as a free action he'll probably shout for you to get better positioning

which would mean shifting to the right so that you and he can stay within melee distance of one another should the troll shift to the right one square

Bah, in the future I need to read this thread before posting in the game thread.

But, aside from provoking an OA, I think Jacks move was good. The troll cannot move up one and be out of melee range, and you can shift one (if the troll remains stationary) to flank.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited March 2009
    Trolls have taken their turn, I'm off to get tanked. Assuming the rest of the round gets finished I'll put up the Oni Mage's turn before bed.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    hey DVG

i can't access invisible castle at the moment

is it okay if I use this dice generator?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited March 2009
    (also Jack is in the wrong spot :P)

No need to update the map again if people can just make the mental note.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited March 2009
    where is he supposed to be?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited March 2009
    In spot 15-K. I think you have him in 15-H.

Supposed to be on the other side of the troll.

Foolish Chaos on