As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Death Knights: Yes, you can has Arthas

1737475767779»

• Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    Its like Charge. There has to be a path that can reach where you are from where they are. If there isn't then Death Grip doesn't work. and yeah, you need LoS.

That doesn't make perfect sense though. Sometimes I CAN suck someone down off the ramparts. Just not often. And my assumption is that if I can cast the spell on someone, I have LoS. So it seems like there's some other check in there that is mucking things up.

Sounds more like the Shadowstep check, which is based mostly (if not completely) on LoS. I've never gotten a "No path available" on Shadowstep.

EDIT: perhaps, since you're lower than them, the ledge itself halts their movement, as you suggested. It certainly makes sense. Also Spell Reflecting Death Grip is the most fun a prot warrior can have. Okay, maybe not the most, but it's great times.

"Get over heaaaaaaaahhh WTF!"

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does Death Grip use the melee miss rate or spell miss rate?

forty on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I sent a new OP over to munkus and assuming it gets approved (Hope it does >.<) we need a new title.

The suggestions so far are -

[WoW] Death Knights: Ashbringer? More like Cashbringer.
    [WoW] Death Knights: Patch notes are Howling Blast from the past

Any other suggestions?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In our defense, Arthas was being kind of a dick.

xzzy on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like this one.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    I like this one.

Haha me too.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Im trying to think of a play on Syndrome's "When everyone's special, no one is." in regards to everyone pretty much going to go sixteen points into unholy to get the perma ghoul in the next patch.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Not me.. I understand the draw of the permaghoul, but I hate pets and will not spec for it even if it makes me a poorer player to have done so.

xzzy on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Perma-ghoul is half the reason I went Unholy.

I wanted to be a Paladin + Warlock.

shryke on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Isn't the permaghoul just gonna get instagibbed by any AoE if you don't get the AoE resist talent way down in the tree, anyway?

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    Isn't the permaghoul just gonna get instagibbed by any AoE if you don't get the AoE resist talent way down in the tree, anyway?

Yeah but it costs one point, and there are some great talents on the way to it.

Besides, from the Ulduar testing, it seems even the AoE resist talented ghouls die rather often.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Halfmex wrote: »
    I like this one.

Haha me too.

Definitely.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    shryke wrote: »

Why? Isn't the main draw of the warlock pets that they tank while the warlock stands aside and does damage? Why would a plate class need someone to tank for them? Not to mention a tank class that is also a dps class.

Yeah I know the other warlock pets offer other benefits, but it seems like the ghoul pet does nothing but offer a minor boost in dps.

xzzy on
  • Options
    fairweatherfairweather OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Having a ghoul out for Death Pact is quite useful while tanking I've found. It also helps sometimes with picking up targets (enemies with low health, something heading towards a healer, next group that I want to pull).

Using corpse explosion on the ghoul is nice at times as well. I've seen it crit up to 12k on a single target before... no idea how that happened though.

A ghoul is useful to have around, but it doesn't kill me to not have it out at all times. If anything I just find it fun to have something to boss around, go on suicide missions for me, and blow up for whatever reason I feel like at the moment.

fairweather on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hell, I leveled my DK as a blood spec with 26 unholy just for the perma-ghoul. That talent was amazingly useful for leveling.
    xzzy wrote:
    Isn't the main draw of the warlock pets that they tank while the warlock stands aside and does damage?
    There's only one warlock talent tree that tends to have a pet tanking for them. The other two are their own tanks and the pets just provide utility/DPS (just like with the DK).

forty on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok so I've been trialing with another guild with the hopes of joining them. I've trialed maybe 4 raids so far. They say their recruitment is going slower than normal right now because they are waiting for Ulduar to see what sort of raid composition they need.

My trial last night felt like a disaster. They brought me in for 6 minute Malygos on 25man. In the past, most of my Malygos experience is from the tank-end of things. But the position I'm apping for is a DPS spot.

They put me on Spark duty, which I have done before on 10man, but not 25, and this guild positions him differently than my old guild did.

Long story short, I managed to hit the spark pulls flawlessly when they came from adjacent spawn points. But the ones in which they spawned opposite were a mess. I found myself having to run through the dragon to target them on the far side. Then I had to run back through to position myself on the existing spark for the pull. All that movement cost me a lot of time and loss of dps. It just didn't work very well.

I tried a macro for targeting the sparks, but the macro never picked them up. Seems to be a range problem or something. The macro wasn't targeting them until they were right up his ass, and by then it was too late.

So I was doing the whole thing manually. Like I said, on the attempts when the sparks came adjacent, I didn't have any problems. It was only when they spawned on the other side of the dragon.

Oh, and we killed him at the 6:01 mark on our attempt in which we thought we had it. We were intentionally wiping if things weren't perfect.

Edit: I also death gripped Maly once and he turned around and breathed on the whole raid. That was pretty awesome.

You want to be careful deathgripping sparks through Malygos.
    Quite often he eats them.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Why? Isn't the main draw of the warlock pets that they tank while the warlock stands aside and does damage? Why would a plate class need someone to tank for them? Not to mention a tank class that is also a dps class.

Yeah I know the other warlock pets offer other benefits, but it seems like the ghoul pet does nothing but offer a minor boost in dps.

Your thinking of a hunter.

A Warlock is a Caster with debuffs and Dots that has a Pet as backup.

An Unholy DK is a Plate Melee class with debuffs and Dots that has a Pet as backup.

A Paladin is a Plate Melee/Caster Hybrid with High Survivability, Self-Healing and a few spells.

A DK is a Plate Melee/Caster Hybrid with High Survivability, Self-Healing and a few spells.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Without Night of the Dead? Yeah, it's annoying. But he's easy to resummon.

WITH Night of the Dead, that fucker is very long lived.

shryke on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not me.. I understand the draw of the permaghoul, but I hate pets and will not spec for it even if it makes me a poorer player to have done so.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Mr SnafflesMr Snaffles Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Not so easy to resummon when Ulduar hits, seeing as its cooldown timer is supposed to only run out of combat. To be fair, though, ghouls are tough enough (taking into account the glyph) on everything except the heavy AoE bosses.

Mr Snaffles on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Not so easy to resummon when Ulduar hits, seeing as its cooldown timer is supposed to only run out of combat. To be fair, though, ghouls are tough enough (taking into account the glyph) on everything except the heavy AoE bosses.

Wait, WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yep.

Anyway, I would still maintain as far as a single point goes, its one of the larger dps increases you can get. For AoE battles, theres a high chance that the improved ghoul will die anyway.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait, the Summon Ghoul cooldown timer will only run when not in combat AND (I think I read this somewhere) you won't be able to reduce the cooldown of that and Army with Plague/Scourge Strikes?

I will be most displeased if this is the case, unless the cooldown for summon ghoul gets lowered to like 1 or 2 minutes.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What kind of dps does the ghoul put out by itself?

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yep.

Anyway, I would still maintain as far as a single point goes, its one of the larger dps increases you can get. For AoE battles, theres a high chance that the improved ghoul will die anyway.

Well, that's a fuck in the ass for soloing Raid Bosses and long fights.

shryke on
  • Options
    Mr SnafflesMr Snaffles Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

My mistake. It doesn't only run out-of-combat; but it will now only start running from when your ghoul dies, so that's a solid 3 minutes or so without it if it happens to die mid-fight.

Mr Snaffles on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The way Raise Dead works in 3.1 is that the cooldown doesn't start until the ghoul dies. I guess they didn't like the idea that as long as you had summoned your ghoul a few minutes in advance, you could always have a replacement ghoul ready when the first one went down. Night of the Dead is just being changed to a straight cooldown reduction on RD and AotD instead of the strikes reducing the cooldown.

The only plus side is that the new post-death cooldown for Raise Dead is going to be 3 minutes (down from 5), so in some cases it will be shorter. And it's also technically a buff to people without Master of Ghouls, since at worst the cooldown is 5 minutes, but at best it's a little over 3 minutes. Overall it's a sucky change for DKs, but I guess I can understand their rationale.

forty on