As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Study study study!

LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys. Been a while since I've posted something decent. Ive been doing some studies I guess on my own working out how things are drawn and what they are made of. Trying to basically teach myself life drawing without going to a class :s

I found this site a few days ago called 'postmaniacs' and its really good. They have 3D models in different positions which you can make last for anywhere from 10 seconds up to 90 seconds. It really pushes you to lay down the basic shapes quickly and see what the human body is made up of. its only early but I think its really clicked something in my head and I am finding it easier to draw; in particular the human body. Also feels good to be picking up the pencil and paper. I also attempted a few quick 2 minute landscape sketches after reading a book on drawing landscapes :)

I cant wait for the coming days where I will make more and maybe make a project out of a few. I still suck at hands though lol...

mixed times
seconds.jpg

90 second drawings
90sec.jpg

2 min drawings
posesfairy.jpg

Hands
hands.jpg

landscpaes
landscapes.jpg

and finally a few I have tried using some of the shapes without using references. I didnt spend more than 2 minutes on each, I dont think they turned out to bad. A few limbs are a little long though
norefs.jpg

Leggraphics on

• winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nice studies. pose maniacs is great for those late saturday nights stuck in the house! Of course classes are great, but not necessary, as you can easily draw people out in public. One thing i like to do in the city, early in the morning and sit in food courts or coffee places and sketch ppl (from a distance) having their breakfast. keep them up!

winter_combat_knight on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Good to see that you are studying the basics. Drawing from life is pretty important, also I would stop timing yourself...take your time and do it right, worry about speed later.

rts on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    nice work :)

Keep doing what you're doing for sure, but if you get a chance, try to make it to an open life drawing session or a cont studies figure drawing class or something
    it might not seem like it'd be different, but I find it much more of a challenge to draw from actual life than it is to draw from a picture or from pose maniacs

i found my class through continuing studies at the local art school
    it cost about 150$ to attend for the semester
    you can probably find something cheaper than that at a community college, and some places put it on for 5$ a session or something but with no instruction.

still, you're doing great, keep it up :D

beavotron on
    edited March 2009
    there are plenty of life drawing classes in adelaide. reasonably cheap too, about $5-10 a session going by what ppl at uni say.

winter_combat_knight on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Good to see that you are studying the basics. Drawing from life is pretty important, also I would stop timing yourself...take your time and do it right, worry about speed later.

I don't think he's timing himself, i think he's using the posemaniac site which has a built in timer and skips to new models after the time is up- you don't get a choice.

That said, I do agree that longer times would be good 5 min atleast so you can really study what it is you're drawing. Also, Posemanics is nice but it is much to simple to get anything really good out of what you're doing- the muscles tend to be streched in odd ways among other things. So move on to real people if you can/ as soon as you can. I think you'll find that it helps more than the site does when you go for accuracy.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanks guys.

Few comments on what you guys have said.

I have been speed drawing some of these with the timed pose because I read that it is good to force your brain to see shortcuts and different shapes that make up the body to help you put it down.

I did agree with it but felt that more time was needed as well. So thats why I have kind of mixed and matched times. I also totally agree that I still need life drawing as in the posematics the limbs dont deform from touching the ground and as was said the muscles do stretch out a little funny. I've noticed the legs at full stretch come across as a marvel sort of cartoon character looking than real life. I'm still finding it great to get the basic shapes. Once I get them and proportions right I will definitely move on and look forward to drawing real people. Im finding this ALLOT more educational than drawing from photos off the net. Its hard to portray the depth if you cant see it in the first place.

Winter Combat Knight - Would you be interested in meeting up at one of these life drawing classes? we could organizs to go to the same one

Leggraphics on
    edited March 2009
    Winter Combat Knight - Would you be interested in meeting up at one of these life drawing classes? we could organizs to go to the same one

Possibly when uni holidays comes around. Im already doing life painting, and thats hard enough as is!

winter_combat_knight on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Possibly when uni holidays comes around. Im already doing life painting, and thats hard enough as is!

Thats good for me man. Thats when I have holidays then to. I work for Flinders Uni... however I think I might be going to the country in the mid term break.

Leggraphics on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's better that you understand what you are generally applying down and creating first, if you were lurking around in my old forum you'll have seen that I spammed about a jillion gestures in about 2 weeks. The form, the way the posture works and the boxes altogether was learned without me even looking at a model, it's better to understand how to apply it in such a basic form before you really create the figure because then you'll have a idea with what to see when you draw the figure.

Or something to that, so tired.

Loomdun on
    splat