As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics Solicitations June 2009.....

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Graphic Violence
Via CBR:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20527

Um, Red Robin #1 doesn't make me feel so good, mainly because of the writer:
RED ROBIN #1
Written by Christopher Yost
Art by Ramon Bachs
Cover by Francis Manapul
Variant cover by JG Jones
Writer Chris Yost (New X-Men, X-Force) and artist by Ramon Bachs (Civil War: Front Line) kick off a brand-new ongoing series right here with “The Grail” part 1 of 4! Following the aftermath of BATTLE FOR THE COWL, a new Batman watches over Gotham City. But not everyone is ready to give up on the old one. Someone believes that Bruce Wayne may still be alive…and that someone is Red Robin. But who is wearing the Red Robin costume, and why is he traveling the globe looking for a dead man? Whoever he is, he's not alone in his search!
Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. For every 25 copies of the Standard Edition (with a cover by Francis Manapul), retailers may order one copy of the Variant Edition (with a cover by JG Jones). Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.
On sale June 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Also Brave and the Bold looks more and more like JMS isn't going to write it, and will soon be canceled.

I do like the Booster Gold solicit and cover:

BOOG-Cv21.jpg
BOOSTER GOLD #21
Written by Dan Jurgens and Matthew Sturges
Art by Dan Jurgens & Norm Rapmund and Mike Norton
Cover by Dan Jurgens & Norm Rapmund
“Day of Death” part 1! When Booster Gold learns of Batman’s death, he visits the Batcave, but runs into a new Dark Knight. Fists will fly and Batman will die…again! And in the debut of a new 10-page co-feature, Blue Beetle is back! While enjoying a peaceful lunch with his friends, Jaime Reyes – and all of El Paso, Texas – are attacked by a marauding 50-foot robot, and only Blue Beetle can stop this mechanized monster.
On sale June 19 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

TexiKen on

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Blackest Night pseudo-preview:
    Martian Manhunter toy.

blackestnightmm.jpg

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like his cape. And his suggestive bulge.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I like his cape. And his suggestive bulge.

It's probably just a fat maggot.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I do like how Batman's death spawns a plethora of grief and story lines, while Martian Manhunter's death is pretty much forgotten except for Darkest Night.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    uh

yeah

that kind of

makes sense

no one is going to buy a fucking book entitled BATTLE FOR THE WEIRD PLANT COSTUME THINGY

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Battle for the Oh Wait, He Was a Shapeshifter and His Costume Was Just His Skin? Never Mind, Then.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    How about an Oh, Wait, he was a member of the JLA too and deserves at least a BIT of a send off? I mean, Batman gets carried out by Supes, and what, they just shove MM in a box and put him in the Star Labs attic? Did I miss his funeral? Even Bart got a fucking funeral.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    yeah it's kind of bullshit i mean Martian Manhunter was way more popular than Batman what's the deal

also he did have an entire one shot devoted to his life/death so um

yeah

you did miss the funeral

way to go

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    How about an Oh, Wait, he was a member of the JLA too and deserves at least a BIT of a send off? I mean, Batman gets carried out by Supes, and what, they just shove MM in a box and put him in the Star Labs attic? Did I miss his funeral? Even Bart got a fucking funeral.

There was an entire issue dedicated to his funeral. It was called Final Crisis: Requiem

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey, a Tomasi send off is equivalent to like 3 Tony Daniel issues. It evens out.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Damn.

I'm not saying more popular... but come on, he's not chopped liver. I need to go get Requiem.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Here's hoping Booster gets back on track and reconnects with the DCU a little bit. It'll be cool to have Mike Norton penciling Blue Beetle too; he was the artist who, with J. Torres, originally pitched that Blue Beetle III book to DC that I had linked in my sig for a long time.

I'll probably start getting Streets of Gotham for the Manhunter back-up. I'm kind of wondering which of her supporting castmates dies, as hinted at by the solicit. I'd guess Mark Shaw, since he was being set up to take over as Azrael, and now there's a new one so he's become superfluous. I can't imagine they'd kill Dylan or Chase, so that really just leaves Obsidian and a bunch of other unimportant bit players.

Judging by Brave and the Bold's cover, Howard Porter's gotten some of his mojo back.

Mike Oeming on The Spirit should be cool.

Munch on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ldam_cv2.jpg

The best thing

Bloods End on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    The best thing

They should make that GL the Twitter fail whale and have him speak in no more than 140 characters at a time.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I really have no idea what you just said, but I have the feeling that it was all incredibly terrible.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The JSA mini looks cool, I'm excited for that. Anyone else not give a shit about any of the Final Crisis Aftermath books?

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    How about an Oh, Wait, he was a member of the JLA too and deserves at least a BIT of a send off? I mean, Batman gets carried out by Supes, and what, they just shove MM in a box and put him in the Star Labs attic? Did I miss his funeral?

Apparently so. It was in Final Crisis: Requiem.

EDIT: Goddammit. Sars beat me to it. Fucking Robos beat me to it.
    Munch wrote: »
    I'll probably start getting Streets of Gotham for the Manhunter back-up. I'm kind of wondering which of her supporting castmates dies, as hinted at by the solicit.

Probably no one who was in #38.
    KVW wrote: »
    They should make that GL the Twitter fail whale and have him speak in no more than 140 characters at a time.

Everything about what you said sucks, but I still laughed.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Laser DaveLaser Dave Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    he was the artist who, with J. Torres, originally pitched that Blue Beetle III book to DC that I had linked in my sig for a long time.

Hey, would you mind posting that again for me, please? I've been looking for that like a motherfucker with no luck. I just need something to show people for comparison if I go on another tirade about Jaime's costume.

Laser Dave on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Judd Winnick AND Ed Benes on Batman?

Count me IN!

Lux on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    ldam_cv2.jpg

The best thing

That shit made me hard.

Don't judge.

Teth on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Laser Dave wrote: »
    he was the artist who, with J. Torres, originally pitched that Blue Beetle III book to DC that I had linked in my sig for a long time.

Hey, would you mind posting that again for me, please? I've been looking for that like a motherfucker with no luck. I just need something to show people for comparison if I go on another tirade about Jaime's costume.

Damn, I can't find it either, but I recall it revolved around a Ted Kord that retired because he sustained some terrible injury. The replacement Beetle was, to say the least (and in my opinion), not nearly as interesting or inspiring as Jaime. He reminded me of a 90's Superboy. You know,, that gnarly leather jacket and rounded sun glasses. If you do find it I'm confident that you'll see why it never saw the light of day.

Though I love me some J. Torres and Mike Norton. That idea was just awful.

Teth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The JSA mini looks cool, I'm excited for that. Anyone else not give a shit about any of the Final Crisis Aftermath books?

The fact that the Super Yong Team look like such glory hounds is enough for me. Plus Ink is being written by a writer from Eureka and I love that show.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The only things I can get excited about here are Rucka and Williams on Detective, and Dini and Nguyen getting their own book at the same time.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Teth wrote: »

Damn, I can't find it either, but I recall it revolved around a Ted Kord that retired because he sustained some terrible injury. The replacement Beetle was, to say the least (and in my opinion), not nearly as interesting or inspiring as Jaime. He reminded me of a 90's Superboy. You know,, that gnarly leather jacket and rounded sun glasses. If you do find it I'm confident that you'll see why it never saw the light of day.

No, no, I've seen it before, I've just been looking for it to show others. I actually enjoyed the costume a bit, if only because it seemed a little more practical than Jaime's Guyver suit. I liked the simplicity of it over Jaime's but the change of momentum in character makes sense and it didn't take too long to warm up to.

Also, I really wish Brian Bolland were doing the art for that new Animal Man series.

Laser Dave on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Here you go.
    BBPitch1.jpg

BBPitch2.jpg

BBPitch3.jpg

BBPitch4.jpg

BBPitch5.jpg

BBPitch6.jpg

BBPitch7.jpg

BBPitch8.jpg

BBPitch9.jpg
    BBIII wrote:
    Written by J. Torres
    Illustrated by Mike Norton

Sequential Sample Pages: Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3
    PREMISE

There is the battle between good and evil. Light and darkness. Right and wrong. Then there's the battle between... the new hotness and the old 'n' busted!

Garrett Nicolas is the new hotness, a part-time college student recently granted the powers of the original Blue Beetle to the surprise and initial chagrin of Ted Kord, the old 'n' busted second Blue Beetle, now retired from active duty due to a heart condition.

When Nicolas shows up in Chicago wielding what appears to be the blue scarab amulet of the original (Dan Garrett) Blue Beetle, Kord is not thrilled that some kid is calling himself the new Blue Beetle. With Booster Gold at his side, Kord tracks down the new Blue to get some answers. After some amusing misunderstandings, hilarious hijinks, and comical capers, the three end up reluctantly "teaming up."

The new Blue has trouble controlling his mystically based new powers so the old Blue and Gold take him under their wings, giving him the impression that they actually know what they're doing. This of course leads to more comedic action and misadventure, but the Blue and Gold do succeed as the kid's mentors.

Okay, they have to call in friends like Dr. Fate, Zatanna, and Hawkman for help, but you know what they say in Africa: "It takes a village to raise a child."

MAIN CAST

GARRETT "GARY" NICOLAS (BLUE BEETLE III)

Background : Gary Nicolas is the son of the half-sister Dan Garrett never knew he had (his first name is her maiden, and "Nicolas" comes from Charles Nicolas). It took several years, but Dan Garrett's only known surviving relatives were eventually located and given what was left of his estate, including the blue scarab amulet that granted the first Blue Beetle his power. This amulet, thought to have been destroyed, was reconstructed by the spirit of Khepri (or Kha-ef-re), the Ancient Egyptian sun deity, who chooses Gary as his new avatar. When Gary moves from Memphis to attend Midwestern University in Chicago, Ted Kord's alma mater and where he first met Professor Dan Garrett, the paths of the three Blue Beetles fatefully converge.

Gary loves jazzy lounge bars and is into cocktail and tiki culture. His favorite directors are Billy Wilder and Frank Capra. He likes to go to flea markets to look for vinyl. He collects old toys. And of course, he looks up to the Silver Age heroes the way other young people his age look up to athletes and rock stars. He's a real nostalgia buff and retro head. Arguably a "retro snob", who's not much into modern pop culture because he thinks it has no soul. On this level, he and Ted find some things to bond over (old movies, jazz standards), but it puts him at odds personality-wise with Booster Gold, the man from the future who "doesn't get" black and white movies.

Nonetheless, the new Blue eventually affectionately refers to the old Blue and Gold as his "two dads" - which, of course, they hate. Meanwhile, Gary hates it when they keep pushing their high tech toys on him to use in his crime fighting. Ironically, it's old school versus new school, but with the reverse of the young one wanting to use the powers of an ancient deity and the old guys pushing the new tech like Q in a Bond flick.

Powers : The new Blue Beetle is young and inexperienced but has a lot of potential. The scarab amulet he inherited from his uncle grants him the same powers he had as the Silver Age Blue Beetle: "super strength, x-ray vision, flight, and the ability to fire lightning from his finger." When our story opens, Gary is using his super strength, knows he can fly (but gets vertigo if he goes too high, so he prefers to bound from place to place instead), but he has yet to discover the x-ray vision and lightning powers (which might work better as some kind of fire/light power). When he does develop the latter ability, the constant "pull my finger" requests will grate on Ted's nerves. Later, it will also be discovered that Gary's super abilities are solar powered. If he doesn't get enough sun, his powers weaken, which needless to say can be fatal at the wrong time.

TED KORD (BLUE BEETLE II)

He's sidelined because of his heart condition, but longs for some adventure. When he sees the new Blue Beetle burst onto the scene, he's initially upset and even angry. He first goes after the kid to take back the good name of the Blue Beetle. But when he discovers that Gary has not only inherited the scarab amulet but means to do right by his uncle and the Blue Beetle legacy, then Ted offers his help. And the kid, for all his good intentions, needs it because he's having some problem controlling his powers. Ted initially steps in offering his old weapons and even the keys to the Bug, but soon comes to realize that Gary needs to be his own Blue Beetle. Ted eventually becomes comfortable in the mentor role and even ends up an avuncular figure in Gary's life, which allows him to live vicariously through the youngster.

MICHAEL JON CARTER (BOOSTER GOLD)
    Booster believes that Gary is merely putting on a cool front, this "step aside, gramps" attitude, but secretly feels like he's a new rocker wannabe getting to play with the Rolling Stones. And he's not too far from the truth. So, despite all the insults about the old Blue and Gold being the clowns of the superhero set, their old school costumes being "too disco", and Gary's reluctance to adopt a high tech arsenal, Booster knows that there's a superhero in the making here. And damned if he won't be the one to somehow financially exploit that!

• The first story arc will establish Booster and Gold's current situation and adapt it depending on where they are following all their misadventures with the "Super Buddies." As we discover the present day status of Ted Kord's company, Booster's marriage, etc. the new Blue Beetle shows up in Chicago fighting crime, battling evil, and righting wrongs... in between classes at Midwestern University where he has yet to declare a major.

• Although Gary refuses to tell Ted much about himself, Ted immediately recognizes the scarab amulet and is suspicious of Gary, thinking the amulet had been destroyed when Dan died. After some investigation, Ted discovers that Gary is his late mentor's nephew and has to resign himself to the fact that he has as much right to the Blue Beetle name and legacy as anyone. Ted then offers Gary his help, but is initially refused. It's not until Ted dons his old costume to save Gary's life, that the two begin to come together. Ted tells Gary about his heart condition, Gary tells Ted his life's story, and in turn Ted tells Gary everything he knows about the original Blue Beetle, his origins, powers, etc.

• Ted and Booster offer Gary their high tech weapons and gear to help in his crime fighting, but the kid turns them down. Gary doesn't tell them, but he's having enough issues controlling his super strength and getting used to flying without becoming air sick. He doesn't need any gun-like weapon or flying vehicle to make things more dangerous for himself and those around him. Especially since he's begun questioning his sanity now that he's hearing voices from the sun.

• Not knowing much about magic using and the honing of supernatural super powers, Ted calls in some friends to help in the training of Gary and the understanding of his abilities. He recruits the likes of Dr. Fate, Zatanna, and Hawkman. With their help Gary discovers that his powers come from Khepri, an Ancient Egyptian sun god. A god he seems to be able to communicate with when he's "fully" charged with solar power (hence, the voices from the sun). Plus, he also discovers the inherent weakness of the amulet and its reliance on solar power.

• The Egyptian origins of the blue scarab amulet come into play early on when some of the new super villains Gary battles appear to have a connection to ancient mythology. A new, villainous Silver Scarab appears to try and take the amulet from him, for example. It is eventually discovered that other people possessed the amulet between the time it reappeared and ended up in Gary's hands. And those people were somehow corrupted by its power and now seek it back. Thanks to Ted's influence, as well as his own inner goodness, Gary is spared from the same malevolent force that turns these people. But it doesn't stop the evil spirit from trying...

• What happens when the girl Gary falls in love with turns out to be one of those corrupted by the dark force of the amulet?

• What happens when the solar powered superhero discovers that he's developed skin cancer?

• What happens when Gary's mother claims she is the rightful owner of the amulet?
    Teth wrote: »

I disagree; Ted was sidelined due to his heart condition, which had been established in both Birds of Prey and the Superbuddies mini, so that was a natural continuation of his story. I liked that it would have kept him around in some capacity, while still allowing him to step aside for a new Beetle.

And personally, just from the description of Gary, I think he's more developed as a character than Jaime is after 30+ issues. Torres actually gives him quirks and foibles unrelated to his role as a superhero. But then, one of my biggest complaints about the Blue Beetle relaunch is that all the writers failed to develop his personality. Jon Rogers originally talked about how Jaime was going to be a bit of a jock, participating in track and field, and the like, but it never came to pass. Which I think is a bit unfortunate, as it would have been an interesting contrast with the the super-smart, geeky Ted. Writers have been trying to give Jaime a little more depth by making him a bit of a science nerd, which actually kind of irks me. It makes me feel like they took Ted, gave him a bigger gun, turned his Bug ship into a suit of armor, and made him a teenager; kind of like Teen Iron Man, but less lame.

I also like the idea of making Gary solar powered, playing with the mythology around scarabs, as well as making him a retro hipster, contrasting him with Ted, whose mind tends to be in the future, as well as Booster, who's from the future.

I think the biggest criticism that can be leveled at the pitch is that it's kind of derivative of Starman, which Torres admitted influenced him at the time, and that the proposed plot points are kind of weak. The costume I'm kind of so-so on. I think the jacket's actually a cool design, but it probably would have grown to look dated in a few years.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oof, sweet MIB2 reference in the description. I suppose I just remember that a bit differently, I didn't recall Gary being so "rad to the max." I still do like the jacket, though, if nothing else. It vaguely reminds me of those sketches you did of redesigns for Ted and Booster in the sense that it Animal Mans it up with a jacket/costume getup. Also, thanks for posting it.

Laser Dave on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, a lot of these solicitations sound pretty good, actually. Might DC finally be getting on the right track this year?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay, I'm seriously considering getting the Dark Entries book, despite my dearth of Constantine knowledge. Supernatural crime fiction sounds like it's right up my alley.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee