As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Max Payne 3 coming this Winter

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love how Scarab feels the need to make shit up just to "defend" his stance on things. "I'm right because the Purple Flying Elephant named Maurice said so!"

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I especially love how on top of all this the idea of someone being allowed to have another opinion that isn't based on logical objectivity is ridiculed.

Which is, you know, a feeling. Ridicule is a feeling, as is contempt.

Way to fail at your own goddam principles sonny.

Is it so goddam hard to go: "Why yes you can like the feel of this game, I did not but I guess people are all different eh?"

Why is this so hard for so many people to do it took me like five seconds to type I mean shit copy and past it if you like I don't care.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I, for one, loved the story in Max Payne 1. I feel it's easily the best video game plot I've encountered that wasn't in an RPG.

Never got around to playing MP2, however.

UnbreakableVow on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Of all the threads to generate pages and pages of bullshit and baseless argument, I never expected it to be the one about the announcement of Max Payne 3

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I especially love how on top of all this the idea of someone being allowed to have another opinion that isn't based on logical objectivity is ridiculed.

Is it so goddam hard to go: "Why yes you can like the feel of this game, I did not but I guess people are all different eh?"

Why is this so hard for so many people to do it took me like five seconds to type I mean shit copy and past it if you like I don't care.

Because that kind of thing kills the very point of discussion and anyone who seriously tries to argue the absolute subjectivity of opinions sucks like a black hole, I mean come on.

The guy made a well-reasoned post, I mean he was still wrong but at least he laid out his rationale for his opinion, something like that still deserves more than out-and-out derision.

Rust on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think that part of the reason for Max Payne 2's smaller sales was the, in my opinion, gutsy decision to put the words "A FILM NOIR LOVE STORY" on the box. I always loved that, whether or not it is actually noir.

I also absolutely adore the funhouse level. It's brilliant.

Between Lost and Damned, the new Red Dead, and this, Rockstar has become my favorite gaming company of 2009. I don't care if Max Payne 3 goes in a different direction from the other games, I'm just really happy to have it back.

And yes, I'm with all of you who enjoyed the movie. The commentary on the Blu-Ray is great too. John Moore is very upfront about where things may have gone wrong and how hard it was to make the movie on the limited budget they had. Fascinating stuff.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    brynstar wrote: »
    I think that part of the reason for Max Payne 2's smaller sales was the, in my opinion, gutsy decision to put the words "A FILM NOIR LOVE STORY" on the box. I always loved that, whether or not it is actually noir.

I also absolutely adore the funhouse level. It's brilliant.

Between Lost and Damned, the new Red Dead, and this, Rockstar has become my favorite gaming company of 2009. I don't care if Max Payne 3 goes in a different direction from the other games, I'm just really happy to have it back.

And yes, I'm with all of you who enjoyed the movie. The commentary on the Blu-Ray is great too. John Moore is very upfront about where things may have gone wrong and how hard it was to make the movie on the limited budget they had. Fascinating stuff.
    The movie was a terrible thing, though. I mean, even on it's own it wasn't great, but not bad. Although the only thing the games and movie shared were names. And at that point, why bother?

Other than for a cheap cash-in.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rust wrote: »

Because that kind of thing kills the very point of discussion and anyone who seriously tries to argue the absolute subjectivity of opinions sucks like a black hole, I mean come on.

The guy made a well-reasoned post, I mean he was still wrong but at least he laid out his rationale for his opinion, something like that still deserves more than out-and-out derision.

Oh it was well reasoned.

Man I respect his opinion as an opinion. But discussion doesn't only mean "argue about whose subjective opinion is right" because that is retarded. I mean come on. Wrong? What the hell is wrong? That's the same thing he was doing.
    It only stifles stupid competitive ego jousting, not all discussion. It's entirely possible to exchange your views on a topic without that shit.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When was the last time Rockstar released a good PC game?

Muddy Water on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Max Payne is pretty much just the most tropetastic noir story ever attached to a really great third person shooter

Honestly Scarab I have no idea what you expected or even what you're trying to argue, for the most part.

Someone said elsewhere that the team developing this was responsible for the GTAIV PC port but I checked and they are wrong. Thank god. That got me a little worried.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay, looking them up.

Seems that as Rockstar Vancouver they've only done Bully and Bully Scholarship Edition.

Apparently before being acquired by Rockstar, they were Barking Dog Studios and did Homeworld: Cataclysm, Counter-Strike (a few maps and Beta-5) with Valve, Global Operations, and Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon. Also, it seems that many Barking Dog employees later split off to form Slant Six Games, Hellbent Games, Kerberos Productions and Ironclad Games, though that obviously doesn't impact Max Payne 3.

So, not a lot to go on save Bully and that was a few years ago, so things might have changed.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd rather they left MP alone and made Bully 2.

DarkWarrior on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    Bully was fun on the consoles. What made it so bad on PC?
    Poor texturing, little to no keyboard customization, poor mouse support, memory leaks, and IIRC no way to change graphics settings. It was more or less a direct dump from the PS2 version.

Thankfully I just discovered that Rockstar New England was responsible for that porting mess; hopefully Vanc will knock it out of the park.

SithDrummer on
    edited March 2009

yeah, me too

Muddy Water on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Of all the threads to generate pages and pages of bullshit and baseless argument, I never expected it to be the one about the announcement of Max Payne 3

I'll defend the story and writing to the death, but you and me both. I honestly figured it was a proven and accepted gaming constant that Max Payne was infallible, as long as you actually got what they were going for.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2009

yeah, me too

I think the Max Payne games have very solid mechanics that despite being short, offer enough replay value to keep the game from getting stale for a long time. I'd rather stick with those two than have someone ruin the name. Not saying that the 3 will definitely suck and I know that it is folly to judge a game based on one image but goddamn, that is not Max Payne.

Muddy Water on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My take on the movie is that they got the essential plot elements right. Max's family was dead and he was a brooding man-on-a-mission. That said, my take on video game movies now is to go into them assuming that they'll be alternate stories w/ the same general theme as the game. I have undeniably lowered my standards for video game movies, but at the same time I've at least made them a lot more enjoyable to watch. What I'm getting at here is that I enjoyed the Max Payne movie.

It seems to me that a lot of people who played Max Payne 2 love the funhouse level, but I felt that it was the worst stage of the game. I don't know why, but I didn't enjoy it at all.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i really hated the dream sequence in the first max payne
    you know the one

Local H Jay on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love all the funhouse levels in MP2. The first time through it's unsettling, then going back through and ambushing guys from 'behind the scenes' is cool, and then the funhouse/asylum dream sequence was great.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2009
    i really hated the dream sequence in the first max payne
    you know the one

Don't let this disuade you from Max Payne 2. The dream sequences in Payne 2 were done a lot better and were not mazes (though they may seem like them, I don't think you can get lost in them.)

Yes, the second dream in MP1 was...annoying. That infinite maze (which wasn't really infinite, just curved in on itself). But, frankly, it was disturbing enough with the crying and stuff that it made a net positive impression, though I admit it's my least favorite part of the first game.

Marikir on
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not gonna lie - I almost cried at the end of Max Payne 2. That ending, and the end credits music, chokes me up every time. Really, a cliched, badly written story, but goddammit, it worked.

Bring on some fucking MP3. Winter isn't gonna get here fast enough.

3lwap0 on
    edited March 2009
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    I'm not gonna lie - I almost cried at the end of Max Payne 2. That ending, and the end credits music, chokes me up every time. Really, a cliched, badly written story, but goddammit, it worked.

Bring on some fucking MP3. Winter isn't gonna get here fast enough.

The way they used the end theme as a recurring motif is so cheesy but still works in the context of the game.

And regardless of whether you think the rest of the game is badly written, that final line is still downright gut-wrenching.

Rust on
    edited March 2009
    I have to admit, when I started MP2, I knew what was going to happen, at least in regards to Mona. I didn't read any spoilers or anything, but the way she spoke and what she said just said volumes. I don't think it was supposed to be a shock. Seemed obvious to me she was hurt.

But getting to that point was a hell of a journey. The twists and turns, the betrayals (though they were sort of telegraphed if you paid attention), the time shifts, all of it combined into an gameplay experience I've not had often.

Each time I've finished the game, I find myself sitting there, listening to the song, just absorbing it all in. After a few moments, when the main screen pops back up, I always find it almost hard to exit.

Marikir on
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I totally lost my respect for Scarab.

donhonk on
    edited March 2009
    Marikir wrote: »

Each time I've finished the game, I find myself sitting there, listening to the song, just absorbing it all in. After a few moments, when the main screen pops back up, I always find it almost hard to exit.

Me too man, me too.

Also, I just remembered this piece of dialogue from MP2. Cracks me up every time.
    [Cop talking to a felon]

Cop: Right. We found you, out of it on V, covered in blood, burying the
    pieces of your wife and the pizza guy under a rosebush in the
    backyard. There's a bloody chainsaw in the bathtub, and by the
    looks of it, they had been shot in your bed. The murder weapons
    have your prints all over them. And you say you didn't do it.

Felon: Hell no! I'm a fall guy. I've been framed, it's a setup. I was
    getting too close to the truth, so they had to get rid of me.

Cop: This should be good. Your wife and the pizza delivery guy had to get
    rid of you?

Felon: No, no- [Long pause] Yeah, yeah, they were gonna whack me.
    Motherfuckers! They were gonna whack me, steal my money. It was self
    defense.

Cop: Right, your wife and the pizza guy were 'trespassing' in your bed. And
    you killed them.

Felon: No! I didn't kill anyone, it's a frame up, weren't you listening?

Cop: Okay, now I get it. Your wife and the pizza guy deviously conspire to set
    you up, they kill themselves in your bed with your gun, proceed to chop
    each other to pieces in your bathtub with your chainsaw, and finally lure
    you to the backyard where they patiently wait under the rosebush to inject
    you with V, and when you are helpless they leak blood all over you and
    call the police. Anything to add?

Felon: See, that's just it. I wish it was that easy, and I know this sounds
    crazy but they weren't in on it alone, it's much bigger than that!
    Basically anyone who does home delivery is in on it, the mailman...
    and that means that the government is involved! The mailman told me
    all about it.

Cop: So all we have to do is to get in touch with this mailman, and we get
    the proof.

Felon: See that's not gonna work. He's dead.

Cop: The mailman's dead. [Sigh] I'm sure the D.A. would go easy on you if
    you'd just come clean right now and told where you buried his body.
    I suppose it's not under the same rosebush.

Felon: See what I mean? This is what I'm talking about, you're not
    listening! You fail to grasp how serious this is!

Cop: Okay. So how would you like to take this forward?

Felon: Give me a gun and set me loose and I'll have this mess sorted out
    in no time.

Cop: Okay, wiseguy, the comedy hour is over. You shut up for a while so I
    can write this crap down.

3lwap0 on
    edited March 2009
    3lwap0 wrote: »

Me too man, me too.

Also, I just remembered this piece of dialogue from MP2. Cracks me up every time.
    [Cop talking to a felon]

Cop: Right. We found you, out of it on V, covered in blood, burying the
    pieces of your wife and the pizza guy under a rosebush in the
    backyard. There's a bloody chainsaw in the bathtub, and by the
    looks of it, they had been shot in your bed. The murder weapons
    have your prints all over them. And you say you didn't do it.

Felon: Hell no! I'm a fall guy. I've been framed, it's a setup. I was
    getting too close to the truth, so they had to get rid of me.

Cop: This should be good. Your wife and the pizza delivery guy had to get
    rid of you?

Felon: No, no- [Long pause] Yeah, yeah, they were gonna whack me.
    Motherfuckers! They were gonna whack me, steal my money. It was self
    defense.

Cop: Right, your wife and the pizza guy were 'trespassing' in your bed. And
    you killed them.

Felon: No! I didn't kill anyone, it's a frame up, weren't you listening?

Cop: Okay, now I get it. Your wife and the pizza guy deviously conspire to set
    you up, they kill themselves in your bed with your gun, proceed to chop
    each other to pieces in your bathtub with your chainsaw, and finally lure
    you to the backyard where they patiently wait under the rosebush to inject
    you with V, and when you are helpless they leak blood all over you and
    call the police. Anything to add?

Felon: See, that's just it. I wish it was that easy, and I know this sounds
    crazy but they weren't in on it alone, it's much bigger than that!
    Basically anyone who does home delivery is in on it, the mailman...
    and that means that the government is involved! The mailman told me
    all about it.

Cop: So all we have to do is to get in touch with this mailman, and we get
    the proof.

Felon: See that's not gonna work. He's dead.

Cop: The mailman's dead. [Sigh] I'm sure the D.A. would go easy on you if
    you'd just come clean right now and told where you buried his body.
    I suppose it's not under the same rosebush.

Felon: See what I mean? This is what I'm talking about, you're not
    listening! You fail to grasp how serious this is!

Cop: Okay. So how would you like to take this forward?

Felon: Give me a gun and set me loose and I'll have this mess sorted out
    in no time.

Cop: Okay, wiseguy, the comedy hour is over. You shut up for a while so I
    can write this crap down.

But then you get one of the final dream sequences:
    Max: I killed them. My wife, my baby. I shot them. I buried them under the rosebush in the backyard. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm SORRY!

Rust on
    edited March 2009
    Clearly the best piece of dialogue in Max Payne 2 is this:
    Gognitti: Paaaayyne? Fuck, fuck, fuck!

SithDrummer on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I never saw the movie because I heard that Captain Baseball Bat Boy was not in it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Earlier in the thread I think I said Max looked like Mickey Rooney in MP1.

I meant Mickey Rourke. 80's Mickey Rourke.

Max does not look like Mickey Rooney.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
    edited March 2009
    Six wrote: »

I had meant to ask about that

SithDrummer on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    He actually just looks like Sam Lake.

Sam Lake also plays the title role in all the TV shows in Max Payne 2.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I never saw the movie because I heard that Captain Baseball Bat Boy was not in it.

A fair point. I think the biggest missing element from the movie was the lack of any of the TV shows.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Clearly the best piece of dialogue in Max Payne 2 is this:
    Gognitti: Paaaayyne? Fuck, fuck, fuck!

"What? Whaaat? I'm a collector! Do you know how much this stuff is worth? I tell ya', fuckin' much! There's nothin' nerdy about it, I'm a collector! Lots of tough guys are into this stuff! Frankie was into this stuff, he was a fuckin' tough guy! Just you wait till I sell my collection online! We'll see who's the nerd when I'm a millionaire!"

Also Vlad:

"(Over microphone) Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present Max Payne. New York's Finest, with the biggest mobster bodycount ever. Dearest guests, prepare *BLAM* to *BLAM* die *BLAM*. Max, I'd love to come and welcome you but I'm busy dodging bullets and hiding under a desk at the moment."

subedii on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well that was fun. In a fucking sick terrible not-at-all-fun way.

tyrannus on
    edited March 2009
    Max Payne 2 quote/spoiler (Just in case, due to suggestion):
    "I was compelled to give Vlad his gun back...one bullet at a time. "

EDIT: Spoilered per suggestion as apparently not enough people played MP2 (for which they should be ashamed).

Marikir on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ^Just a suggestion, that one might be spoiler territory.

subedii on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Max Payne is ancient. You have no excuses if you come into an MP3 thread.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2009
    Eh, apparently there's a few people in this thread who haven't played MP2, so I can spoiler it.

But it's a good line...makes me evil smile each time.

And this one, actually, is a good comment on the mental state of Max. Very appropriate. But, spoilered as well, just in case.
    Vladimir Lem: What the fuck is wrong with you, Max? Why don't you just die? You hate life, you're miserable all the time, afraid to enjoy yourself even a little! Face it, you might as well be dead already. Do yourself a favor, give up!

Marikir on
    edited March 2009
    Six wrote: »

You know, I pegged him as Christian Slater knock off. Imagine a constipated Christian Slater, and there you go.

3lwap0 on
    edited March 2009
    Eh, apparently there's a few people in this thread who haven't played MP2, so I can spoiler it.

But it's a good line...makes me evil smile each time.

And this one, actually, is a good comment on the mental state of Max. Very appropriate. But, spoilered as well, just in case.
    Vladimir Lem: What the fuck is wrong with you, Max? Why don't you just die? You hate life, you're miserable all the time, afraid to enjoy yourself even a little! Face it, you might as well be dead already. Do yourself a favor, give up!
    I love, love, love the delivery of that part of the line in particular.

SithDrummer on
This discussion has been closed.