As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shotgun Sunrise Nominated For Best Multiplayer Mod Of The Year On ModDB!

• FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just gave this game a little spin on a local server, and I'm really impressed with what I saw. The fan-fire action on the revolver especially tickled my fancy.

Can't wait to give a real game a try, though the 1400 ping on the only active server was a tad daunting.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • VeitsevVeitsev Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    veitsev is a jackass truck driver

I think he was just getting huge amounts of lag. For some reason everyone had 996 ping.

Actually I was looking for ZM so I could run him over for the third time but the input lag was fierce soI just ran over two of you guys instead.

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    Steam 3DS: 1160-9885-2554
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    *sigh*
    If only I had more time to contribute in the first place (especially now that I'm getting a good handle on everything not gui related in C++)
    My tommy gun texture is still awesome though.
    Will play some whenever I get the chance

Ohtsam on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Got it working. No, I don't know how, it just started working. Restarted Steam, maybe?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesome job on getting this out guys. :)

I'll see if I can upload it to another mirror.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • SlapdashSlapdash Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Beta Testers, Assemble!

I need all of you, whether you're having CTD bugs or not, to try the following and report back with your findings.

1. Connect to a server via the Steam server browser ( out of game )
    2. Launch the mod, and then connect to a server from the in-game server browser
    3. Start your own server and load the map. Once the map is loaded, try to connect to another server via the console (i.e. connect 123.45.678.90:27015)

Also, let me know your OS just in case it has something to do with it ( it shouldn't matter, but it may )

I've sent Remington and Lacabra over an empty test map so we can try to narrow down what may be causing the issues. If we can get to the bottom of it right away, we'll a get a patch out to you guys as soon as we seem to get reliable results.

Slapdash on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Connecting to a server from in-game just causes CTD.

Using the steam server browser I got connected just long enough to celebrate the game being released and then it CTD.

Now it CTD even when connecting from the steam browser.

tehmarken on
  • Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is what happened to me:

1. Crashed at server loading screen
    2. Crashed at server loading screen
    3. Crashed as soon as the server was set up

Lost Canuck on
    QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I get a CTD while attempting 1, 2 and 3. Running WinXP.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I crashed connecting from the steam browser, I crashed connecting from the games' broswer, and I couldn't connect to that one server but so far I've been able to connect to a server after I've started my own. I'm running Vista 32-bit.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I started hosting, and it worked fine.

...until we got to the gunstore, and even I started lagging

everybody's ping before that was moderate, though

MrDelish on
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ANYONE WHO IS CRASHING WHILE JOINING A GAME DO THIS!

Load up a local game, then join a server from there, works for me

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
    edited March 2009
    loading up a local game would crash me before

I deleted the SS folder then re-extracted it back in and restarted steam. It's currently working fine

MrDelish on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So yeah, the game is pretty fun so far. I think a zombie team, or a mode that lets you play zombies, might be cool. But there's a bunch of games that let you do that now so maybe thats not your guys' thing.

Beyond that, I'd say make the zombies die a bit easier. The revolver is basically useless. Took more than a clip to kill the same zombie I could have killed with 2 swipes of the axe. Also, survivors can shoot rescuers. Not sure if that was intended or not, but if you can't shoot your teammates, shouldn't be able to shoot the guys coming to help you.

Hope to see some new maps from you gents 8-)

Goose! on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fuck yeah, this'll be done in less than 3 minutes. Goddamn you LaCabra, you are a wonderful man and I can't wait to play this. Unfortunately I have to start getting ready for work in around 30 minutes so I won't get the opportunity to play much but that's okay.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited March 2009
    isn't the dedicated server just "Source Dedicated Server"?

I don't see options for SS on any of the dedicated server tools

MrDelish on
    edited March 2009
    can we get a proper server going for this? Local games are proving a tad tricky

Zombie Monkey on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was able to join servers from console on the menu screen. Every other method I tried crashed.

How do I set my create server to host locally over WAN instead of LAN?

Goose! on
  • WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was able to host 2 games long enough so that we finished one, but then I crashed at the new map loading screen, and the 2nd crashed as we were trying to jump the truck over the last ravine.

Now whenever I try to create a server from the main game menu, it crashes the instant it starts initializing resources. I even deleted the folder and reextracted, restarted steam, but the same thing happens.

And apparently nobody else can get a server going because there's none in the server list to try joining. :|

Woggle on
    edited March 2009
    if i tried the lag would kill us all

To death

Zombie Monkey on
    edited March 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    I was able to join servers from console on the menu screen. Every other method I tried crashed.

How do I set my create server to host locally over WAN instead of LAN?

First, you'll need to make sure you're forwarding port 27015 to the appropriate computer on your LAN, then make sure that sv_lan in the console is 0. It should be by default.

Slapdash on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Also a funny thing is happening. It'll say so and so is playing Shotgun Sunrise when I get the notification popup but when I look in my friends list window it just says In Mod and its blank beyond that. Weird I thought.

Maybe I'll try re-extracting like Delish did.

Goose! on
    edited March 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    Also a funny thing is happening. It'll say so and so is playing Shotgun Sunrise when I get the notification popup but when I look in my friends list window it just says In Mod and its blank beyond that. Weird I thought.

Maybe I'll try re-extracting like Delish did.

Valve can't seem to decide what they want to do with that. At one time, it would say HL2 Deathmatch, then it was working correctly for a while, now its just "In Mod".

Slapdash on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    how do I dedicated server

MrDelish on
  • Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    how do I dedicated server

I've been trying to get a dedicated up but I'm not having any luck.

Job_41:25 on
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Slapdash wrote: »
    Beta Testers, Assemble!

I need all of you, whether you're having CTD bugs or not, to try the following and report back with your findings.

1. Connect to a server via the Steam server browser ( out of game )
    2. Launch the mod, and then connect to a server from the in-game server browser
    3. Start your own server and load the map. Once the map is loaded, try to connect to another server via the console (i.e. connect 123.45.678.90:27015)

Also, let me know your OS just in case it has something to do with it ( it shouldn't matter, but it may )

I've sent Remington and Lacabra over an empty test map so we can try to narrow down what may be causing the issues. If we can get to the bottom of it right away, we'll a get a patch out to you guys as soon as we seem to get reliable results.

1. Crashed at 'parsing game info'
    2. Crashed again at 'parsing game info'
    3. Both local and dedicated failed. Other people could join the dedicated server though.

Vista Home Premium 32bit

DualEdge on
    edited March 2009
    and now I'm crashing again :(

vista ultimate, and it's when it hits three bars on "connecting to server"

MrDelish on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    flippy is sad that his concepts were poor.
    Hey that is not true they were okay.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    edited March 2009
    I was able to play a portion of a round, but on the next map load it crashed me at "retrieving server info"

And now it's back to crashing me at parsing.

DualEdge on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am this close to installing Wine, Steam, HL2, and SS here at the office right now.

Although by the time everything finished, it would be time to go home.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
    edited March 2009
    Hah! Even I'm getting CTD bugs when trying to join the servers out there. This is good, though, because at least the bug is reproducible.

For you guys crashing out still, try this:

1. Try to join a server from the in-game server browser. You'll crash.
    2. Start a local game, and there's a good chance you'll be re-connected to the server you just crashed out of.

For those who are getting dedicated servers set up, please share your methods for getting it started. We don't have an official guide yet.

Thanks for being patient with us!

Slapdash on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    I just copied the SS folder into the source dedicated server folder and chose it from the drop down menu.

DualEdge on
  • VeitsevVeitsev Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I had to create a game and then join from the console. Now I can join games the normal way. The overall concept of the game is great but it needs some changes.

1. More Zombies

- As it is the maps are sparsely populated. As a result death is pretty much meaningless. Even as a survivor it is fairly easy to get back to the truck and the better weaponry. You don't even have to fight as the zombies are too slow and there are too few of them that you can generally just run around them and to the truck.

2. Survivor/Rescuer Mechanics

- The two cannot communicate through voice chat even if they are standing right next to each other. As the goal of the Rescuer is to rescue the Survivor I would think some sort of communication would be nice? As it is the Survivor has to go to the truck just to be able to use voice communication with the Rescuers. The result is that once someone goes Survivor they are ostracized from the group when they could (and probably should) be able to tell the Rescue team their location and be able to ask for help. Being a Survivor is also fairly easy and you aren't really in need of rescue. I also don't think there is even a death limit in the game. If there is I didn't notice. Being a survivor really doesn't mean a whole lot except you have only a pistol and a hatchet.

3. Cowboys are too OP

- This could be fixed with more/harder zombies. But as it is a few human players can easily mop up the zombies. Once the get the "Superior Weapons" its pretty much a giant "I Win" button as the tommy guns just wipe the floor with any zombies around. This is further exasperated with unlimited ammo supply from the truck and the ability to carry two primary weapons. Again this could be fixed with a shitload more zombies. Maybe an event happens once the survivors get to the truck that causes more zombies to come to town/come out of the woodwork? Perhaps those fast zombies that we see in the mines could be around the rest of the map as well?

4. Goals/Checkpoints

I assume the goal of having one man having to carry the ammo crate/booze/etc was to promote teamwork as he is vulnerable? As it is there are so few zombies on the map that the man carrying the item can just drop it and defend himself. It is also far too easy once they reach they surface. My team basically left me behind to carry the ammo and I didn't really need any assistance to reach the truck. I think a good idea would be to make the carrier completely unable to drop the item (and thus have to be defended). I also think that the goals should require a certain amount of players to accomplish. I think the car battery requires that two survivors press the button at the same time to turn off the electricity. Regardless if I am correct about this I think it is a mechanic that needs to be added to other goals like the booze. Maybe the booze requires for example 4 players to get to. This would require the rescuers to actually give a shit about the survivors. Add in more zombies and make it tough for the survivors and that part of the game becomes important and challenging.

5. The Booze Music

This is just me being picky. I love the 2001 reference but the music needs to be louder and it sounds tinny.

6. The Car

The labels for Supply, Passenger Seat are hard to see/press and seem kind of buggy, I would suggest making these glow if you can and putting a passenger button at the back of the truck.

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    Steam 3DS: 1160-9885-2554
  • Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Woggle wrote: »
    That was me local hosting. CTD is no fun. :(

And the superior firepower is a crate fulla weapons in the gun shop. You have to cart it through the mines and then over some platforms and then back to the truck.

That ramp was evil. The truck was stuck on that fence for like 3 minutes.

lol the best part of that was me getting it stuck the first time and freeing it only to have someone jump in the driver seat and do it all over again and getting it stuck worse. Soon as we got the crate to the truck my pc asploded :/

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
    edited March 2009
    DualEdge wrote: »
    I just copied the SS folder into the source dedicated server folder and chose it from the drop down menu.

this seems to work

MrDelish on
  • tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For me it ctds before I get to the menu or anything.

tehgils on
    FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tehgils wrote: »
    For me it ctds before I get to the menu or anything.

It did this to me on an earlier version. I could usually get around it by typing -novid into the launch options

Remington on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    why is no one hosting a server. i have to play this posthaste.

Mustachio Jones on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll try and host again in a bit. It seemed to work okay-ish.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is pretty awsome, I come how and Bam, its released. Good to see, im downloading it now. Congrats on finishing it!

Lagnar on