As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Troubleshooting] Computer refuses to start.

RecoillessRecoilless Registered User regular
When i tried to turn on my desktop this morning I got nothing not even fans. I checked all the power connections inside and out but they were all connected correctly. I'm thinking it might be the power supply.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Once a month women act the way men do all the time.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Recoilless on

• ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Let's get this out of the way:

Are you sure the machine is plugged in?
    Have you tried plugging anything else into the same outlet?
    Have you tried changing out its power cord?

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • RecoillessRecoilless Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Let's get this out of the way:

Are you sure the machine is plugged in?
    Have you tried plugging anything else into the same outlet?
    Have you tried changing out its power cord?

Yes
    Yes and
    Yes.

Recoilless on
    Once a month women act the way men do all the time.
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is the power LED on on the motherboard. How about the ethernet link light? Both of those should be lit if it has power, whether or the comp is on. If they aren't, the next step is to grab a known good power supply and hook it up to your mobo. Only the main connector and any extra CPU/Video connectors. Leave all peripherals off. If it works, it's most likely your PSU. If it doesn't, probably your motherboard.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sounds to me like the PSU has died, this has happened a few times at work.

I'd place good money on it being the PSU, you could use different leads as a test. If you can get your hands on a spare PSU and plug it in then all the better.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Have you tried taking a screwdriver to the power on circuit? I still remember when nothing would happen with my computer at all and the problem was not even that the power button cable was messed up, I just had it plugged in wrong. If you put a screwdriver or something metallic to complete the circuit on the prongs for the power switch(and only on the prongs for the power switch, safety first) that may complete the circuit and start it up, meaning the button's broken.

Khavall on