As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Max Payne 3 coming this Winter

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Vlad was an awesome character.

"Max, dearest of all my friends!"

subedii on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There are way too many people in this topic openly admitting to having not played Max Payne 2. For shame, folks. For shame.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    There are way too many people in this topic openly admitting to having not played Max Payne 2. For shame, folks. For shame.

My response is "Yes, they should be ashamed of having never played Max Payne 2."

But, as I'm pretty sure that wasn't your intent, if they haven't played Max Payne 2 by now, I'm pretty sure that they've had elements of the story spoiled for them since it's been out for years. And if they were avoiding mention of spoilers, why the hell are they reading a Max Payne 3 thread?

I've avoided the Bioshock 2 thread because I still haven't finished it, but I'm pretty sure I've been spoiled on a few things. I still don't go into that thread if I can avoid it.

But, as requested, I've spoilered my quotes.

What is the statute of limitations on spoilers around here, anyway?

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Marikir wrote: »

My response is "Yes, they should be ashamed of having never played Max Payne 2."

$5 or $10 on Steam?

There's even a dual-pack that's an incredible deal for both MP1 and 2.

Anyone who is even remotely interested in the series and doesn't have one, the other or both would do well to at least take a glance at it.

I snagged it last year, and it made for an awesome weekend of shooting people in slow motion.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mickey rourke, dammit!

max_payne_movie.jpg

MickeyRourke1-sized.jpg

Eh, maybe not. I don't know!

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
    edited March 2009
    Forar wrote: »

$5 or $10 on Steam?

Anyone who is even remotely interested in the series and doesn't have one, the other or both would do well to at least take a glance at it.

I snagged it last year, and it made for an awesome weekend of shooting people in slow motion.

You know, I have the disks from when I bought them in the store. But getting them on Steam (with it's autoload feature) might be just convenient enough. If I can then unload and reload them like the other Valve games, that will probably be enough to make me do it.

So...can I uninstall and reinstall them like other Steam & Impulse games? (Vista 64 laptop, if it matters.)

Marikir on
    edited March 2009
    Forar wrote: »

$5 or $10 on Steam?

You know, I have the disks from when I bought them in the store. But getting them on Steam (with it's autoload feature) might be just convenient enough. If I can then unload and reload them like the other Valve games, that will probably be enough to make me do it.

So...can I uninstall and reinstall them like other Steam & Impulse games? (Vista 64 laptop, if it matters.)

Yep. That's pretty much the point of Steam purchases, you can re-install them wherever you want, whenever you want, so long as you've got a net connection.

Of course, the same could be said of disc based versions, except without the online requirement. :P

subedii on
    edited March 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Yep. That's pretty much the point of Steam purchases, you can re-install them wherever you want, whenever you want, so long as you've got a net connection.

Of course, the same could be said of disc based versions, except without the online requirement. :P

Yeah, I figured that was the case. I'm starting to really like the convenience of Steam and Impulse, but wanted to make sure that Max Payne wasn't some weird exception to the standard rule with Steam. Thanks for the verification.

Marikir on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I liked the conversation between the slutty girlfriend and the policewoman on watch. I don't remember exactly how it goes but the girlfriend is afraid her boyfriend will kill her because he's been playing too many vidjagames.

emnmnme on
    edited March 2009
    Max Payne 2 quote/spoiler (Just in case, due to suggestion):
    "I was compelled to give Vlad his gun back...one bullet at a time. "

EDIT: Spoilered per suggestion as apparently not enough people played MP2 (for which they should be ashamed).

And a spoilered link to go with it:

subedii on
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Because of this tread, I have purchased Max Payne 2. Again. Over Steam this time. And I'm going to replay it. Right about... now. That game has soooo much awesome dialogue, it's incredible. Sam Lake is a genius.

The picture of bearded Max has me a little worried, and the fact that Remedy isn't involved, but it's Rockstar, so I'm definitely giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Noray on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't understand why people want to give Rockstar the benefit of the doubt because they're Rockstar when they've never proven themselves capable of... Well, anything, I suppose.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    They made GTA4. They aren't to just be given benefit of the doubt.

DarkWarrior on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone who considers GTA4 a failure must be psychotic or just trying to be a contrarian.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited March 2009
    Anyone who considers GTA4 a failure must be psychotic or just trying to be a contrarian.

I consider it a storytelling failure.

From a gameplay perspective, it is a good game, if a very monotonous one (and I don't like it). But its storytelling really tries to reach for the stars and then falls off its step ladder.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    I don't understand why people want to give Rockstar the benefit of the doubt because they're Rockstar when they've never proven themselves capable of... Well, anything, I suppose.
    Same reason everyone was so supprised when oblivion with guns was picked up by bethesda D:

Besides, wasn't this a different Rockstar studio than GTA4, the one that did bully?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • StopAndSwishStopAndSwish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man: "Pleased to meet you. I'm Frankie "The Bat" Niagara."

Max: "Niagara, as in you cry a lot?"

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.

StopAndSwish on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    max_payne_3_logo.png
    what the fuck did they do to my logo

LaCabra on
    edited March 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    max_payne_3_logo.png

Come on, you can't have true grit without some grunge.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    max_payne_3_logo.png

I'm surprised it didn't give it a beard too.

tofu on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You guys hate everything.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "How dare they change my nostalgia" is the battle cry of humanity.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited March 2009
    Rose-Tinted Glasses are shitty.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rose-Tinted Glasses are shitty.

Yeah they make you see everything in this stupid reddish color

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    max_payne_3_logo.png

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-?

SithDrummer on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

This is bullshit and you know it.

If George Lucas was all like "Oh hey guys guess what the Star Wars logo now uses comic sans" you know you would cry foul.

UnbreakableVow on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think Star Wars: Comic Sans edition would be a more tolerable change

SithDrummer on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm glad to see I was wrong about expecting this to be a tru-stre3t thuglyfe cashin. Whew.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

From a gameplay perspective, it is a good game, if a very monotonous one (and I don't like it). But its storytelling really tries to reach for the stars and then falls off its step ladder.

You're crazy.
    Aside from the awful character blunder that was Niko's "love interest", GTA4 was the first game to make me really care about a character in at least a year.

Come on, Brucie? Jacob?

Are you *really* trying to tell me you don't think Patrick McReary was a well thought out character?

Oh, and for everyone worried about studio pedigree, this is being made by Rockstar Vancouver... it's made up of former Barking Dog and Relic people, so not only are we looking at Bully, but also Homeworld and Counter-Strike. As far as I'm concerned, there's very little to worry about on this -- for now.

Logo definitely needs some work, though. :|

Recoil42 on
    edited March 2009
    Bully was awful. Never played the other two.

And as for GTAIV, I didn't really care about any of the characters other than Niko.

UnbreakableVow on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It seems like no one involved with the previous two games is involved with this one.

That is enough for me to be concerned.

tofu on
    edited March 2009
    Who wants to bet they make this co-op?

UnbreakableVow on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

This is bullshit and you know it.

If George Lucas was all like "Oh hey guys guess what the Star Wars logo now uses comic sans" you know you would cry foul.

Nope. I don't give a damn.

It's nice to know who actually pays attention to what I say and who just remembers "oh fanboy of star wars" and then makes up their own shit.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited March 2009
    What?

I just presented Star Wars because it's a logo with a well-known font.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited March 2009
    Sorry, I get a lot of mouthbreathers because I didn't hate force unleashed to death, no worries.

Which is also evidence that contradicts your point come to think of it.

Morninglord on
    edited March 2009
    Recoil42 wrote: »

You're crazy.
    Aside from the awful character blunder that was Niko's "love interest", GTA4 was the first game to make me really care about a character in at least a year.

Come on, Brucie? Jacob?

Are you *really* trying to tell me you don't think Patrick McReary was a well thought out character?

Yeah, I'm going to say that there were no real compelling characters in GTA4. They came close, but even Niko's character fell apart in the end. Especially when the two big choices you make at the end lead to some pretty big decisions for Niko, but the two choices that lead him to the same conclusion for what he wants to do with his life directly contradict eachother. It was extremely poorly done.

The fifteen hours of the story aimlessly wandering around without going anywhere didn't exactly help either.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Sorry, I get a lot of mouthbreathers because I didn't hate force unleashed to death, no worries.

Nah, I'm actually with you on that one, I enjoyed TFU.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited March 2009
    ANYWAY.

As far as I am concerned, if I wanted more of the same I'd go back and play the old goddam games.

So no I don't care what gets changed, I like new. So I evaluate the new based on how it works overall. No point walking into the game with my mind already made up is there. Why even play it if you know the game so well.

Morninglord on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    ANYWAY.

As far as I am concerned, if I wanted more of the same I'd go back and play the old goddam games.

So no I don't care what gets changed, I like new. So I evaluate the new based on how it works overall. No point walking into the game with my mind already made up is there. Why even play it if you know the game so well.
    There's new and there's "This isn't really the same game at all but we put the name on it like it is so buy it for the name!"

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    ANYWAY.

There's new and there's "This isn't really the same game at all but we put the name on it like it is so buy it for the name!"

Man how did you get the game. Please don't spoil the ending if you must be so advanced of the rest of the pack.

Morninglord on
This discussion has been closed.