As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Darkfall] Now with More Wang!!

• Zero-ControlZero-Control Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Quote from vhzod:
    vhzod wrote: »
    New things I don't like that I've found out that may or may not be true that I "found out" (from the absolutely always reliable source the darkfall forums) without playing the game (since I can't because they won't sell it to me)

1. You can delete stuff before you die so your killer doesn't get any loot. This is dumb. It should just drop on the ground or something. How are you deleting it? If this magic trashcan is so powerful it can instantly destroy any object why not use it as a massively powerful weapon?

2. Stat buffs and debuffs are apparently pretty useless. Maybe they only do something when the stat drops below a threshold number like 25. If that is so the developers are really lazy and thats another thing I don't like. Stats only do anything at one of the thresholds.

3. Global banks instead of local, but they're never going to change this so get used to it. This pretty much prevents any kind of large scale piracy or banditry.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of it at the moment. I still plan to buy the game at the earliest possible moment that doesn't involve ebaying for accounts.

At first I really liked the global banks because they allowed me to be casual and carebearish but the more I play the more frustrated I get that everyone is naked all the time.

You are right the problem is global banks..... they also need to buff equipment considerably.

-If they made banks local,

- made equipment more powerful--i.e. stronger armor, harder hitting weapons, more stat buffs that mattered.

- Prevented people from banking in enemy banks.... OH please, are you kidding me... we are about to lose our attack on your city, better store our gear.

-And they also made noob weapons crappier, as it stands now there can be big buffs with some crafted weapons but its usually not an issue because most people stick to noob weapons which keeps folks even, and noob weapons are good enough to do minor pve.

I would say that these three areas must be fixed or people will get bored with this game. The siege is good, but pirates and bandits are the other really fun aspect of this game

Zero-Control on
    (League of Legends Summoner: Zero Control)

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    Well It looks like local banks are not going to happen...I am behind the times.

LOCAL BANKS ARTICLE FROM TASOS

Well we will have to hope they fix the issues with gear that will make it worth using rather than fighting naked.

I have also updated the first page with a long conquest explanation, very good info!

Sales are re-opening this week as well:

Excerpt from Tasos -
    An issue we are facing now is with more Darkfall availability. The reason we had throttled the availability in the first place was to avoid queuing. At some point we hit the threshold where queuing began and we needed to increase capacity. Now that we know more, we’re working in advance so that queuing doesn’t become much of an issue again. We hope to be able to open up for more sales sometime this coming week; again it will have to be a limited amount of copies to allow a smooth integration of new players into the game. We will announce when this is ahead of time.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Quote from vhzod:
    vhzod wrote: »
    New things I don't like that I've found out that may or may not be true that I "found out" (from the absolutely always reliable source the darkfall forums) without playing the game (since I can't because they won't sell it to me)

1. You can delete stuff before you die so your killer doesn't get any loot. This is dumb. It should just drop on the ground or something. How are you deleting it? If this magic trashcan is so powerful it can instantly destroy any object why not use it as a massively powerful weapon?

2. Stat buffs and debuffs are apparently pretty useless. Maybe they only do something when the stat drops below a threshold number like 25. If that is so the developers are really lazy and thats another thing I don't like. Stats only do anything at one of the thresholds.

3. Global banks instead of local, but they're never going to change this so get used to it. This pretty much prevents any kind of large scale piracy or banditry.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of it at the moment. I still plan to buy the game at the earliest possible moment that doesn't involve ebaying for accounts.

At first I really liked the global banks because they allowed me to be casual and carebearish but the more I play the more frustrated I get that everyone is naked all the time.

You are right the problem is global banks..... they also need to buff equipment considerably.

-If they made banks local,

- made equipment more powerful--i.e. stronger armor, harder hitting weapons, more stat buffs that mattered.

- Prevented people from banking in enemy banks.... OH please, are you kidding me... we are about to lose our attack on your city, better store our gear.

-And they also made noob weapons crappier, as it stands now there can be big buffs with some crafted weapons but its usually not an issue because most people stick to noob weapons which keeps folks even, and noob weapons are good enough to do minor pve.

I would say that these three areas must be fixed or people will get bored with this game. The siege is good, but pirates and bandits are the other really fun aspect of this game

So with all the naked ganking I am assuming that an armored target doesnt have much of an advantage over a naked one? IMO if your naked you should have some seriously defensive penalities to discourage naked ganking.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So with all the naked ganking I am assuming that an armored target doesnt have much of an advantage over a naked one? IMO if your naked you should have some seriously defensive penalities to discourage naked ganking.

Naked ganking is a problem when you are assaulting that's for damn sure. If you've ever read Max Brooks' World War Z or Zombie Survival Guide you might know what I'm going to explain next.

If you are fighting a convential battle, every casualty you cause is one less you have to fight. But when your battle is centred around that enemies magical spawn point, every casualty you cause comes back with low HP and a weapon.

This is an unwinnable battle of attrition if you don't have massive amounts of reinforcements.

Every casualty you take gets spawned outside the battle zone naked, with a weapon, but usually without access to equipment you need to take the fight back to the enemy.

You cannot "win" unless you lock down the spawn zone and the general attackers ratio of 3-to-1 doesn't work effectively. My conservative estimate would be something more like 5-to-1.

Solutions I would like to see is maybe have a graveyard at each city away from the clanstone that you respawn at.

If you think none of this make sense, try holding a position against an unending tide of naked bodies.

**edit** You DO take more damage naked without armor.

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
    edited March 2009
    XOCentric wrote: »

Naked ganking is a problem when you are assaulting that's for damn sure. If you've ever read Max Brooks' World War Z or Zombie Survival Guide you might know what I'm going to explain next.

If you are fighting a convential battle, every casualty you cause is one less you have to fight. But when your battle is centred around that enemies magical spawn point, every casualty you cause comes back with low HP and a weapon.

This is an unwinnable battle of attrition if you don't have massive amounts of reinforcements.

Every casualty you take gets spawned outside the battle zone naked, with a weapon, but usually without access to equipment you need to take the fight back to the enemy.

You cannot "win" unless you lock down the spawn zone and the general attackers ratio of 3-to-1 doesn't work effectively. My conservative estimate would be something more like 5-to-1.

Solutions I would like to see is maybe have a graveyard at each city away from the clanstone that you respawn at.

If you think none of this make sense, try holding a position against an unending tide of naked bodies.

**edit** You DO take more damage naked without armor.

Ahh ok, so its not like an epidemic of nakedness, unless you are sieging. If the defenders are respawning in city then I can definately see how futile it would be (especially since you currently cant destroy clan stones)

I forget did shadowbane have a mechanism that stopped you from being able to respawn at your tree once the city was under seige?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, this game is not for me.

I won't bore you with the details, I just did not like it, probably it's more fun once you roll with a guild, but the interface and animations and ugly graphic was more than enough to put me off.

So if anyone of the people that have not been able to get in so far is interested in my account, pm me.

Librarian on
    edited March 2009
    Librarian wrote: »
    So, this game is not for me.

I won't bore you with the details, I just did not like it, probably it's more fun once you roll with a guild, but the interface and animations and ugly graphic was more than enough to put me off.

So if anyone of the people that have not been able to get in so far is interested in my account, pm me.

YES YES YES, you MUST have a clan. No clan = not fun at all. (Unless you like to just run around griefing....probably hacking too..)

It is very similiar to the EVE gameplay where the real game is in group play and otherwise you slowly burn out....sometimes not so slowly.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    Ahh ok, so its not like an epidemic of nakedness, unless you are sieging. If the defenders are respawning in city then I can definately see how futile it would be (especially since you currently cant destroy clan stones)

I forget did shadowbane have a mechanism that stopped you from being able to respawn at your tree once the city was under seige?

It does need fixed but there are solutions...

They just patched the game so naked people take a lot more damage and thats a step in the right direction. Additionally you come back with no hp or mana and that also helps.

When we sieged our enemies the other day we formed a wall of people with their shields equipped that literally trapped them in the respawn room (right by the clan stone though) and kept them from leaving.

Our plan was then to shoot them dead as they respawned, the only issue with this is you get invulerability for a while as long as you dont attack anyone etc. This lasts long enough to let you regen and be a pain in the ass.

I can appreciate the invul to prevent griefing, however, I think that removing temporary invulnerbaility during sieges, would pretty much solve most of the respawn issues and be a quick fix.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Honestly, we'll just go in next time and destroy the keep + houses immediately. The result is 20 people at the clanstone, and most of those offline, while the online people get rebound at some starter city and (hopefully) killed before they can bind at a chaos stone nearby.

By the way, here's a link to the current political map: Darkfall Political Map

Oh! If you want to watch footage of our assault on Apautan the other night, there's a bunch of footage available here: Part 1 and Part 2. It is from the point of view of the guys who we were attacking. I've only watched Part 1, which shows our mounted charge into the city (and over their shield wall), followed by our ascent up the first elevator and descent down the second one, then our extended stay in the clanstone room while we try to damage the bugged clanstone, then our retreat from the clanstone to try to destroy the keep. I die at this point (those stairs SUCK, you have to jump up them) and so do a lot of our guys, but we do make it to the keep and hold off the enemy for a long while before eventually retreating (that's on part 2, I believe). I'm proud of the fact that while we could have easily banked all of our stuff before we started the retreat (which we knew was going to be bloody), no one even suggested it and everyone was ready to go down fighting. Props to our guys who missed the first elevator and did exactly that.

Ellthiteren on
  • snapsnap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hopefully the naked raiding thing is just a left over impulse. People are used to their gear being so hard to get that the thought of losing it staggers their minds. I mean, I remember when I was up to no good in UO (stealing) I wore plain clothes and a disguise kit and nothing else (save regs)...I guess that's basically the same thing as running around naked, but it looks way less stupid.

snap on
  • NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

So to the different colors signify the different alliances?

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
    edited March 2009
    NAND NOR wrote: »

Nope,

Colors equal your standing with your faction.

Blue equals friendly to YOUR faction, gray means you have attacked a friendly faction member and you are rogue meaning your faction can kill you without penalty, and red means you are an enemy of you faction and people can kill you freely.

The purpose of the colors is mainly for the noobie racial areas, to help folks know who is a murderer and who isnt. The problem is if your are an Alfar who hasnt been murdering other alfars and you have good faction with your race then you are blue, and when you wonder into the dwarf area they are going to see a blue color on your name... this can lead to a lot of confusion.

Hopefully they figure out how to color code according to race at the very least..... clan would help as well. You could be aligned against a clan and be enabled to freely attack them, but they still have a blue name.

Battles often get confusing, and its easy to take damage or even be killed by clan mates or especially other clan allies. Before going into battle we always make sure we tell everyone which clans not to kill, because if you have 6 or 10 clans on each side thats 16 or 20 different clan names to track, and they may all have blue names.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    snap wrote: »
    hopefully the naked raiding thing is just a left over impulse. People are used to their gear being so hard to get that the thought of losing it staggers their minds. I mean, I remember when I was up to no good in UO (stealing) I wore plain clothes and a disguise kit and nothing else (save regs)...I guess that's basically the same thing as running around naked, but it looks way less stupid.

I think until people see real benefit in wearing gear, i.e. I have such n such armor on and as a result I was able to gank 2 or 3 more people than normal and survive a more damage to escape, its not going to change.

As it stands now if I take go into enemy territory and try to gank folks if I get outnumbered I will probably die no matter how well geared I am and how naked they are. 2 Naked people, beat 1 armored guy with full levels.....so far... that may not be true with very high level weapons, but again, I would write that off to the weapon damage... (I am asuming folks arent naked so they dont take the penalty, but you can wear some shitty cloth pants to accomplish this task).

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Nope,

Colors equal your standing with your faction.

Blue equals friendly to YOUR faction, gray means you have attacked a friendly faction member and you are rogue meaning your faction can kill you without penalty, and red means you are an enemy of you faction and people can kill you freely.

The purpose of the colors is mainly for the noobie racial areas, to help folks know who is a murderer and who isnt. The problem is if your are an Alfar who hasnt been murdering other alfars and you have good faction with your race then you are blue, and when you wonder into the dwarf area they are going to see a blue color on your name... this can lead to a lot of confusion.

Hopefully they figure out how to color code according to race at the very least..... clan would help as well. You could be aligned against a clan and be enabled to freely attack them, but they still have a blue name.

Battles often get confusing, and its easy to take damage or even be killed by clan mates or especially other clan allies. Before going into battle we always make sure we tell everyone which clans not to kill, because if you have 6 or 10 clans on each side thats 16 or 20 different clan names to track, and they may all have blue names.

You completely misunderstood the question :-) He was talking about the political map.

I'd assume that yes, the colors signify alliances, since each city of the same color also has a suffix (the reds have Dusk after thier name, blues have Southern Cairn Alliance, etc.).

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

I think any of the black dotted guilds are unalligned though.

Not sure if there is any significance to the NIflheim guilds being written in white text though.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited March 2009
    JNighthawk wrote: »

You completely misunderstood the question :-) He was talking about the political map.

I'd assume that yes, the colors signify alliances, since each city of the same color also has a suffix (the reds have Dusk after thier name, blues have Southern Cairn Alliance, etc.).

shit....read the bottom and not what he was talking about.....uggghhhh thats what I get for getting up at 4 am to play darkfall before the gankers get on...... I will sleep more I promise.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009

That map is misleading, at least in our AoR. You can't "own" an NPC city, you can only bind more people there than a rival and harass them any time they come to town. There are a few such cases I can see on there and it may lead new, weaker players to think that a particular guild has more flex than another.

Ah well, soon I'm sure the colors will be more appealing to us and our allies, given that we carry some BIG fucking aces in our back pockets.

**To the lads in game already** I had to work this weekend and it's lead to a few things backing up, otherwise I will be in game more regularly soon enough. So fear not, our plans for shananigans shall continue.

XOCentric on
  • X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The fights look good in terms of people on the screen at once, but everything always seems to break down to people sniping each other from afar with the bow or one of the two magic abilities that I've seen in the game.

X3x3non on
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Have they unfucked the distribution process yet? My friend's brother has been trying to buy this game for weeks now and it wont let him.

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What the dick? Darkfall came out?

Do you know how many socks I have to eat now?

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Now they need to find a way to open a server while letting people join the old server without the old server getting drastically unbalanced. I think their also refining their server hardware requirements so they can get them up fast or their trying to squeeze more players on the single server.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
    edited March 2009
    Now they need to find a way to open a server while letting people join the old server without the old server getting drastically unbalanced. I think their also refining their server hardware requirements so they can get them up fast or their trying to squeeze more players on the single server.

I think that they are trying to find the sweet spot for their current networking solution. Personally I believe they should have done this prior to going live (BETA!!!), but I understand that there was probably a push to get the game released as-is from their money men. It's the shitty reality of financial backing but at least we have a playable game that in my mind is quite enjoyable.

**EDIT**
    The fights look good in terms of people on the screen at once, but everything always seems to break down to people sniping each other from afar with the bow or one of the two magic abilities that I've seen in the game.

The reason for this is simple: stamina conservation. If I try to close the gap between myself and a target, I have to use a bit of stamina that could be better used plugging the target with arrows or if I were magically inclined I'd use spells. However, there is plenty of opportunity to get my hack and slash on, most notably when holding chokepoints or when chasing circle strafers down. It is also really satisfying to hit a target from the side or rear when they didn't know you were there.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    Colt wrote: »
    What the dick? Darkfall came out?

Do you know how many cocks I have to eat now?

/FTFY

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited March 2009

I think that they are trying to find the sweet spot for their current networking solution. Personally I believe they should have done this prior to going live (BETA!!!), but I understand that there was probably a push to get the game released as-is from their money men. It's the shitty reality of financial backing but at least we have a playable game that in my mind is quite enjoyable.

**EDIT**

The reason for this is simple: stamina conservation. If I try to close the gap between myself and a target, I have to use a bit of stamina that could be better used plugging the target with arrows or if I were magically inclined I'd use spells. However, there is plenty of opportunity to get my hack and slash on, most notably when holding chokepoints or when chasing circle strafers down. It is also really satisfying to hit a target from the side or rear when they didn't know you were there.

And in fairness this is classic warfare on open terrain. From the time bows and ranged weapons came to be you would see either calvary or ranged attacks, not just run in and melee.

And you still see plenty of melee in this game when range can be safely closed. In close space melee weapons become much more prevelant and successfull. When we had to defend our keep we had hordes of people charging in with melee to cut us down and swarm us. We would try to form front line walls of melee blockers and fire our ranged over their head, again...classic warfare.

So you have to admire the fact that his game is arranged in a way that it mimics life enough to utilize real tenents of war.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    Melee tends to get you a lot more kills as well. In most of the videos I've watched, lone archers don't get many kill messages. It's very easy to duck behind something and rest up when you're getting shot; it's a lot harder to ignore the guy in plate hitting you with a huge sword.

Ellthiteren on
  • Winnie The PoohWinnie The Pooh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No new sales till next Monday? Boo

Winnie The Pooh on
    edited March 2009
    Melee tends to get you a lot more kills as well. In most of the videos I've watched, lone archers don't get many kill messages. It's very easy to duck behind something and rest up when you're getting shot; it's a lot harder to ignore the guy in plate hitting you with a huge sword.

However what I have found to be true is that during smaller battles, and especially when bandits or enemies jump you solo or in a small group moving around the world archery is key and often overpowers others.

If someone ambushes you odds are you will be dead to arrows before you can respond if they set it up right.

For example a number of times I have tried to solo pve I am minding my own business having a good time when two enemies rush down on me with arrows.... the last two times that I was able to mount my mount was immedietly shot out from under me. Either they kill me then and there with arrows or rush in the finish the job. In one situation their arrows hit me for 25+ a hit....and if you get this to 75 you can really speed it up and lower stam costs.

If you like ranged damage skip the magery and just max out archery early on, everyone should anyway.

Its probably not the top dps in the end game but its the top early game single target ranged dps.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And you still see plenty of melee in this game when range can be safely closed. In close space melee weapons become much more prevelant and successfull. When we had to defend our keep we had hordes of people charging in with melee to cut us down and swarm us. We would try to form front line walls of melee blockers and fire our ranged over their head, again...classic warfare.

So you have to admire the fact that his game is arranged in a way that it mimics life enough to utilize real tenents of war.
    In a real war you'd have separate archers, cavalry, footsoldiers, etc, not one-man-bands who can pull out any weapon known to man out of their ass at any moment and be just as effective with them as the next person as long as they're not playing like monkeys.
    Not knocking the game, but I wouldn't call it realistic by any stretch of the word; more realistic than your usual MMO, maybe, but that's not saying much.

Glal on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Heh the stories in this thread have me really interested. Shame its such a pain to actually buy it though.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
    edited March 2009
    In a real war you'd have separate archers, cavalry, footsoldiers, etc, not one-man-bands who can pull out any weapon known to man out of their ass at any moment and be just as effective with them as the next person as long as they're not playing like monkeys.
    Not knocking the game, but I wouldn't call it realistic by any stretch of the word; more realistic than your usual MMO, maybe, but that's not saying much.

The realism doesn't come from the availability of every weapon, it comes down to personal specialization and player skill at that chosen path. There is room for realistic tactics for all 3 modes of combat, except maybe magic seeing as how it's not real, it's more like being a grenadier.

We have our archery specialists, our mages and our foot soldiers who would rather swing a sword or block for some of the weaker members. We also have people who have much more experience in mounted combat. I would venture to say that a smaller, more disciplined force using realistic tactics for a situation can easily defeat a larger swarm of individuals acting under a generally vague battle plan.

I have personal experience where this was the case, simply by having a chain of command, excellent communication and specialists doing/sticking to their assigned tasks.

There is definetely room for realism in Darkfall.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009

The realism doesn't come from the availability of every weapon, it comes down to personal specialization and player skill at that chosen path. There is room for realistic tactics for all 3 modes of combat, except maybe magic seeing as how it's not real, it's more like being a grenadier.

We have our archery specialists, our mages and our foot soldiers who would rather swing a sword or block for some of the weaker members. We also have people who have much more experience in mounted combat. I would venture to say that a smaller, more disciplined force using realistic tactics for a situation can easily defeat a larger swarm of individuals acting under a generally vague battle plan.

I have personal experience where this was the case, simply by having a chain of command, excellent communication and specialists doing/sticking to their assigned tasks.

There is definetely room for realism in Darkfall.

Precisely,

When we fight we have the archers and mages group and seperate in the back or high up if we can get em.

The melee is in the front along with people who use shields taking up blocking positions to guard key entrances, or terrain.

Finally you have mounted folks to help catch runners, maybe block a dooryway, and generally scout around and try to lure folks or corral them.

People may change weapons but we dont organize around generalities and people dont fight that way....if you run out of arrows maybe its time to use a little magic, if you run out of mana fine leap in with your sword.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    Hahaha finally saw or rather heard one of you at the yssam fight! wessex is abit annoying though i broke from the fight running off into the water to regroup but i encountered one of them in the water and started fighting. I then crashed at the zone line but then logged back in at the same place naked, i was going to explore or just recall then 6 wessex guys run out in these gay little formations that had me laughing my ass off, they refused to be polite and ignored me so i decided to give them a chase through the water.

If theres anyone who doesnt have a guild yet or rolled aflar goons have started another guild that will accept anyone so if your still interested you can PM me and i'll give the details.

Arghy on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, hey Arghy! That was me. I was shooting your guys in the head from that catwalk until you pulled out of the city. Defended one city this morning, just captured two this evening. Good times!

We were kind of in a rush leaving Tiquiya - only got Apautan down with 4 minutes to go - so we just ran past any naked hostiles.

The human/dwarf/mirdain PA guys are in Virakar (allied with, though not part of, Hyperion) til they get enough numbers to form their own clan.

Ellthiteren on
    edited March 2009
    Man my entire day was made when i captured a raft from CO at the kirdain hamlet hahaha goon on goon violence to pilot that thing but i shout loudest in vent! besides my rank is captain I DRIVE THE BOAT! We ferried everyone from the hamlet to yssam with all the fun that entails haha i stopped the raft in the middle of these sharks and i had like 7 guys under the raft getting chewed on hahahaha. It was hilarious that the day before we had been bored and kirdains setting us wary caused our group to go destroy their hamlets bank hahaha.

That city is so damn amazing it pisses me off i wasent able to explore it more! horrible to defend and very retarded wall designs but it was breath taking. The more i look at mar shral the more pissed i get haha, barren ugly though atleast its not khosgar because that city is a friggin train wreck. After being surrounded by unfishable sludge that water and greenery was so refreshing- why do aflar citys gotta suck so badly!

The zergs are kinda pissing me off now, hyperions rolling so deep they've pretty much forced DUSK to join forced with coalition of chilling so we can roll 400 men deep and thats no fun for everyone involved. They just need to add zap towers, make the walls proper and add gates then big zergs wont happen in cramped citys. If you had to kill the zap towers from outside the walls with cannons then you'd have wonderful sallys from the defenders to destroy the cannons culminating in a gate breaching which would be utter chaos.

Arghy on
    edited March 2009
    Man I'm upset Ellthiteran, we we're doing so well with that group and I got emergency afk'd. 6 hours later I make it home to see that I'm naked near a chaos stone getting farmed.

Guess that's my fault for going afk in a siege, but at least the day was ours!

I made it back to our city on foot this morning and I'll have more time to play soon enough. (fingers crossed)

**EDIT** Did one of our guys get my kit at least?

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    Wish I could have XO, I had to work from home so I was in but had to drop in and out. Also for some reason the lag became unplayable for me druing the attack on our city. Fist time I have ever not been able to play, very annoying on my auad core.. maybe i need to loom at a new vid card... still.... 8800 GTX oc is no joke.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Finally unsubscribed.

Way way way way to much grinding.... the pvp is awsome. But I liked the concept of being very viable in pvp at day one, that slowly becomes obsolete.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Really? Just as I was about to consider the thought of purchasing Darkfall, I hear it is grindtastic

I can't stand grinds, so I guess I'll skip thisD:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Finally unsubscribed.

Way way way way to much grinding.... the pvp is awsome. But I liked the concept of being very viable in pvp at day one, that slowly becomes obsolete.

I would agree with this statement only if you want to be the best right away. If that's the case then naturally the game is going to seem very grindy, because your interest/enjoyment is competing with your impatience.

I'm not trying to bash you at all either, in case it came off like that.

If you just 'play' the game, you won't notice the grind at all. I mine for stuff or chop wood, and over time I get better. If I wanted to max my mining or logging then yeah, I would macro all day and I wouldnt enjoy the game. Also, if you want to be a PVP god right off the bat, you would have to spar repetitively, you could just farm mobs and you'd accomplish the same thing, only much slower.

It's all about pacing yourself, because eventually the curve will plateau and everything will normalize again.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    Arghy wrote: »
    The zergs are kinda pissing me off now, hyperions rolling so deep they've pretty much forced DUSK to join forced with coalition of chilling so we can roll 400 men deep and thats no fun for everyone involved.

My experience with larger scale battles so far, including numbers involved (us : them)...

-First defense of Mehatil (against VG/CoP) - 50 : 100-120
    -First defense of Sunstone (against CoP) - 30 : 25
    -First siege of Apautan (against CoP+friends) - 40 : 50-70 (rose as battle progressed)
    -Second defense of Mehatil (against RUS+friends) - 8 : 100+ (yeah, we won this one anyway)
    -Defense of TSG Hamlet - 50 : 150-200
    -Third defense of Mehatil (against RUS+friends) - 100 : 100 (maybe more)
    -Second siege of Apautan, first stage - 100 : 100 (maybe less)
    -Second defense of Sunstone - 32 : 30-40
    -Second siege of Apautan, second stage - 30 : 50 (our numbers rose and theirs dropped as it progressed)
    -Second siege of Tiquiya, second stage - 90 : 100 (or whatever goons+kgb+VG had, we thought it was around 100. This may be hilariously wrong, but we did go in expecting to lose badly.)

Both times Hyperion attacked Tiquiya they definitely had overwhelming numbers, although more in the 125-150 : 50-75 range.

The point of all those numbers is to show that, while there have certainly been some unbalanced fights, there have also been a ton of even ones. One good thing about the siege mechanics is that they force you to spread yourself around. You have to defend at the same time you attack. If you're one big clan, with just one city, you only have to split into two groups. But if you're a bunch of clans with a bunch of targets, it gets kinda crazy. Last night, for example, we (Yssam coalition + Hyperion) were undertaking two siege assaults (while defending the two hamlets used to initiate those assaults) AND also trying to defend two allied cities (one Yssam, which we lost, and one Hyperion, which was saved).

Ellthiteren on