As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Big Idea] Pitch your best project

• manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mana Machinery Ltd.

Creating real magic for today.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wow.. People like me!

Cool.

Ahava Incorporated

Invest $3 in MLSCC

(or would that be $4 now that Utsanomiko put money in?)

Not around the rest of tonight, but will be tomorrow night.

lonelyahava on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I will invest in the Martian Monster Cookie for free.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • robotsunshinerobotsunshine regular
    edited March 2009
    wow.. People like me!

Cool.

Ahava Incorporated

Invest $3 in MLSCC

It would be 4, yes.

robotsunshine on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wow.. People like me!

Cool.

Ahava Incorporated

Invest $3 in MLSCC

It would be 4, yes.

Wouldn't one of those be paying herself, though? So effectively three to other people.

Darian on
    edited March 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    wow.. People like me!

Cool.

Ahava Incorporated

Invest $3 in MLSCC

It would be 4, yes.

Wouldn't one of those be paying herself, though? So effectively three to other people.

Ah, forgot that lonely was one of the investors. So, yeah, 3.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    Investing in The Permanent Phone Book for free.

manaleak34 on
  • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Invest $1 in Permenant Phone Book

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
    edited March 2009
    Current Financial Standings:
    1. Permanent Phone Book: 2
    2. Patriotic Laser Musical: 2
    3. Mechanical Lubricated Safety Chef Copier: 5
    4. Martian Monster Cookie: 2
    5. Deluxe Holy Hammer: 2
    6. Theoretical Atomic Obelisk: 2

Also, lonelyahava, we forgot to give you the $1 Good Idea Bonus! So get a free $1. Everyone's keeping up with their own money, right?

Offering Phase (IPO)
    All products are now set up for sale in an IPO (Initial Public Offering). A 6-sided die is rolled for each product: if the roll value is equal to or less than the number of chips on the product, the IPO succeeds; otherwise, it fails. In a success, each chip pays out cash equal to the value of the die roll. A player with multiple shares, then, will earn a higher multiple of the payout. The investment chips on the product are returned to their owners, and the product is removed from the game. In a failure, the product and investment chips remain in the game, and a single foreign investor chip will be added to the product. It will be easier for the product to pay out on the next round, but there are otherwise no other effects.

The Public Says...
    • Permanent Phone Book SUCCEEDS! Everyone who invested in it gets $2.
    • Patriotic Laser Musical SUCCEEDS! Everyone who invested in it gets $1.
    • Mechanical Lubricated Safety Chef Copier SUCCEEDS! Everyone who invested in gets $3.
    • Martian Monster Cookie FAILS! A Foreign Investor chip is placed on it.
    • Deluxe Holy Hammer FAILS! A Foreign Investor chip is placed on it.
    • Theoretical Atomic Obelisk FAILS! A Foreign Investor chip is placed on it.

- Martian Monster Cookie: 3 (1F)
    - Deluxe Holy Hammer: 3 (1F)
    - Theoretical Atomic Obelisk: 3 (1F)

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    End of Turn and Game
    At the end of the Offering Phase, all players are allowed to discard as many noun and adjective cards as they wish before drawing back up to three of each. (The decks will be reshuffled if they run out.) Then the role of lead player passes to the next player. Once all players have acted as lead players, then the game is over and the player with the most amount of cash is the winner.

Everyone PM me and say if they want to discard their cards and which ones, or if they don't want to discard, and then I'll PM you new cards.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    Oh hell yes, that's some money in my pocket right there. My obelisks didn't take off well...

...but atleast we'll be safe for another day...

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Everyone's keeping up with their own money, right?

If I may suggest that you also provide a running money count at the end of each game turn so that everyone (including the spectators) can see how much money the others have?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So.. if I'm doing the math correctly, I should have $6 right now. Yes?

Also, I'll be around more tomorrow, than tonight. Got a date night tonight with my man.

lonelyahava on
    edited March 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Everyone's keeping up with their own money, right?

If I may suggest that you also provide a running money count at the end of each game turn so that everyone (including the spectators) can see how much money the others have?

Either that, or if the money and number of investment chips remaining are public knowledge, have each person include a stat block at the end of each post. That's what we did for Race for the Galaxy.

Cash remaining: $x
    Investment chips remaining: n
    Invested in:
    MMC (#)
    DHH (#)
    TAO (#)

where # is the number of chips that player has invested in that product.

Darian on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmm... what about something like this:

End of Round 1 Status

Player Status:
    Utsa-no-Miko International <Placeholder Name> (Utsanomiko) - Cash: $11; Free Investment Capital: 4 chips
    Rend Applied Technologies (Rend) - Cash: $11; Free Investment Capital: 3 chips
    Ahava Incorporated (lonelyahava) - Cash: $15; Free Investment Capital: 4 chips
    Bum Corp. (enlightenedbum) - Cash: $15; Free Investment Capital: 3 chips
    Mana Machinery Ltd. (manaleak34) - Cash: $18; Free Investment Capital: 5 chips
    Ex Machina Incorporated (Daius) - Cash: $12; Free Investment Capital: 5 chips

Product Status:
    Martian Monster Cookie - Investments: 3 - 2 x enlightenedbum, (Foreign Investor)
    Deluxe Holy Hammer - Investments: 3 - 2 x Rend, (Foreign Investor)
    Theoretical Atomic Obelisk - Investments: 3 - Utsanomiko, lonelyahava, (Foreign Investor)

I hope I got everybody's counts correct.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited March 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Hmm... what about something like this:

End of Round 1 Status

Player Status:
    Utsa-no-Miko International <Placeholder Name> (Utsanomiko) - Cash: $11; Free Investment Capital: 4 chips
    Rend Applied Technologies (Rend) - Cash: $11; Free Investment Capital: 3 chips
    Ahava Incorporated (lonelyahava) - Cash: $15; Free Investment Capital: 4 chips
    Bum Corp. (enlightenedbum) - Cash: $15; Free Investment Capital: 3 chips
    Mana Machinery Ltd. (manaleak34) - Cash: $18; Free Investment Capital: 5 chips
    Ex Machina Incorporated (Daius) - Cash: $12; Free Investment Capital: 5 chips

Product Status:
    Martian Monster Cookie - Investments: 3 - 2 x enlightenedbum, (Foreign Investor)
    Deluxe Holy Hammer - Investments: 3 - 2 x Rend, (Foreign Investor)
    Theoretical Atomic Obelisk - Investments: 3 - Utsanomiko, lonelyahava, (Foreign Investor)

I hope I got everybody's counts correct.

There we go. I like the end of round status, as I don't think the swapping of funds is too complicated for everyone to keep track of during the turn itself.

robotsunshine on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So is it pitch time then?

Rend on
    edited March 2009
    Hah! I have defeated Rend in Round One!

let the partying begin!

lonelyahava on
    edited March 2009
    Rend wrote: »
    So is it pitch time then?

Almost - sorry, forgot to mention it this time around. Everyone PM me your new product, then I'll give the go-ahead to pitch. Remember that Rend is now the lead player, also.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009

let the partying begin!

Oh I played nice last round because I wasn't sure how crazy peeps were gonna get.

Peeps got crazy.

Now it's on.

Rend on
    edited March 2009

let the partying begin!

Oh I played nice last round because I wasn't sure how crazy peeps were gonna get.

Peeps got crazy.

Now it's on.

I still beat you last round, my darling.

And I will continue to do so!

You will not be able to resist my AWESOME!

lonelyahava on
    edited March 2009
    Is it time for Rend to pitch? Rend needs to pitch.

enlightenedbum on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is it time for Rend to pitch? Rend needs to pitch.
    Seriously. There's an audience waiting here...
    Carry on.

crimsoncoyote on
    edited March 2009
    Good lord I am NOT on the ball these past few days. I've been waiting for Rend to submit, but he totally already had. My apologies.

I'll get with things, guys. Yes, Rend, go right ahead and pitch.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    ksssshhhhhhhk

ksssshhhhhhhssssssshhhhhhhhk

More static...

ksshh--em c-kssh-n you hear now? Excuse me? Ca- oh, good.

This is Rend Miller-Goldstein again, from Rend Applied Technologies. Now, as many of you know, we at Rend Applied Technologies have been working into the ground floor of the budding biotechnology field for quite some time now. Well, we're proud to show you the fruits of our labor. I come to you from our top secret laboratory somewhere in Nevada to show you the ultimate in biological weaponry.

I present to you, the discerning investor,

The Cute Virus

Behold these test subjects.
    BEFORE
    borat-high-five.jpg

AFTER
    funny-pictures-kitten-asks-for-a-hi.jpg

--

BEFORE
    doesnotgowitheverything.jpg

AFTER
    funny-pictures-a-little-black-cat-g.jpg

---

BEFORE
    doorway.jpg

AFTER
    funny-pictures-your-kitten-threaten.jpg

---

BEFORE
    ladder.jpg

AFTER
    funny-pictures-kitten-climbs-the-la.jpg

Now as you all know, there is absolutely no way you could ever hurt something that cute! I mean, look at the little guys... they are SO. CUTE.

The Department of Defense will be jumping all over this one. Get on the bandwagon before it's too late, people. Do it.

Rend Applies Technologies, out!

Rend on
    edited March 2009
    But if RAT is turning everyone into cats, how can they survive long enough to make this a prudent long term investment.
    I am lame.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2009
    But if RAT is turning everyone into cats, how can they survive long enough to make this a prudent long term investment.
    I am lame.

Those aren't cats, bum! Those are C-Soldiers. They're faster and stronger than normal troops, and they have contracted the Cute Virus which gives them, aside from superhuman constitution and toughness, a cuteness so adorable nobody can bear to stand up to them.

Rend on
    edited March 2009
    I am lame.

Those aren't cats, bum! Those are C-Soldiers. They're faster and stronger than normal troops, and they have contracted the Cute Virus which gives them, aside from superhuman constitution and toughness, a cuteness so adorable nobody can bear to stand up to them.

Bum Corp is skeptical. If the military wants real soldiers, they can just turn their men into vicious Martian killing machines by having them eat Martian Monster Cookies. Further testing has indicated that the creatures that emerge upon digestion are in fact rather nasty.

It's now being marketed to the military instead of as a Girl Scout cookie.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2009
    Rend: are you investing in the Cute Virus at this time?

Darian on
    edited March 2009
    I think supplying Deluxe Holy Hammers to our troops is a more efficient way both in cost and battle effectiveness.

manaleak34 on
    edited March 2009
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    I think supplying Deluxe Holy Hammers to our troops is a more efficient way both in cost and battle effectiveness.

That's a First Amendment Fight Bum Corp will fund the ACLU's lawsuit over. The legal fees will destroy your company! :twisted:

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2009
    The mass production of Lolcats can only ever be a bad thing.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
    edited March 2009
    I am indeed investing in the Cute Virus

Rend on
    edited March 2009
    I completely agree with Daius.

That being said, I will have my post up shortly... ish.

I'm still trying to figure out the marketting strategy.

Edit::

alright. I've typed it up three times. And everytime I got to hit save and post it here, my computer f'ing blue-screens and I lose it. So if you guys want to skip past me for the time being, that's alright. I'll be around tomorrow night, hopefully with my product typed and posted. If you want to just put me at the end of the round, that's fine. My computer is just not cooperating with me tonight and I have to work tomorrow.

lonelyahava on
    edited March 2009
    I completely agree with Daius.

That being said, I will have my post up shortly... ish.

I'm still trying to figure out the marketting strategy.

Edit::

alright. I've typed it up three times. And everytime I got to hit save and post it here, my computer f'ing blue-screens and I lose it. So if you guys want to skip past me for the time being, that's alright. I'll be around tomorrow night, hopefully with my product typed and posted. If you want to just put me at the end of the round, that's fine. My computer is just not cooperating with me tonight and I have to work tomorrow.

Gah, that sucks. We'll let Bum Corp. go ahead, and then you for this round.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    Bum Corp is proud to announce we have discovered a brand new way to exploit the natives of Mars for our personal well being. From the makers of the Martian Monster Cookie comes...

Evil Alien Shampoo!

That's right, our expert chemists have discovered that by extracting the blood of these evil aliens and using it to wash our new team of testers' hair, the testers went from this:

donald-trump-275x350.jpg

to this:

Mel-kiper.jpg

Imagine the possibilities! In just one usage all your problems with split ends and frazziness will go out the window and be replaced by a shining, lustrous coat of hair. With your new found confidence, you'll be able to land the girl of your dreams!

Invest in Evil Alien Shampoo today! Like me!

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2009
    Ahava Incorporated is somewhat pleased to introduce our newest product, drawn from inspiration gleaned from antiquities found in the deepest treasure trove known to man.

Unsinkable Denture Bombs

The first template for our new invention was retrieved deep from within the bowels of the Titanic wreckage. A newly explored area of the first deck suites revealed a floating object that none had seen before. Theodore, the underwater robot that does the explorations of the Titanic's wreckage, grabbed the spherical object and brought it back to the surface where our waiting, and completely legal, salvage boat was waiting.

Once aboard the salvage boat, as it skimmed quickly across the water, our scientists investigated this sphere.

As they poked and prodded it, the sphere shrunk in size and then, just as quickly, expanded so rapidly that it exploded!

We were shocked, amazed, and horrified as the terrified and injured screams of our scientists reached our ears. When our rescue boat reached the salvage tug, there was nothing more that we could do. Our scientists were all dead. They had sustained severe wounds, what appeared to be bite marks, on faces and necks.

As we surveyed the carnage, the only thing that we here at Ahava Incorporated could find were multiple pairs of dentures. If century old fake teeth could cause this kind of damage, just imagine what the newest denture technology could do!

And so, here you have it! The newest offering from Ahava Incorporated's Personal War Division: Unsinkable Denture Bombs.

These are iron encased spheres for storing your dentures. Or nails. Or nailfiles. But they are designed for holding dentures. The best feature, if you are ever in a tragic boat accident where everybody dies? Your dentures will live on! In pristine condition!

And if some foolish person tries to open the sphere without knowing your personal code, the sphere will open. Violently.

Never allow somebody in the future to get their hands on your precious teeth! Kill them if they try!

Invest in Ahava Incorporated's Unsinkable Denture Bomb today!

uggggghhh that sucked.. i couldn't do any better.

lonelyahava on
    edited March 2009
    Are you investing in yours, Ahava?

Also, I like that everyone suddenly went from "invest in our company's product", to "who can make the best weapon of wartime death".

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    No, I'm not.

and it wasn't supposed to be a weapon!!! That's just kinda how it ended up as I was typing this up, for the fourth time. *mutter grumble*

lonelyahava on
    edited March 2009
    Mana Machinery has made impressive advances in weapon technologies in these last few years. Today however we bring that ingenuity to the cuisine of Japan with Sexy Sushi

Unlike the boring and traditional rolls you can find in any cheap grocery stores Sexy Sushi comes in a variety of shapes which will excite any number of sexual orientations. All the classic flavors of raw fish are present along new twists on some of the classics. We're also proud to announce that these sushi pieces will also feature our own custom designed aphrodisiac, which has been scientifically proven to improve sexual activity through extensive testing (:winky:)

Sexy Sushi, the one sushi you won't need wasabi for some excitement.

Investing in this product

manaleak34 on