As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Back.

ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
And the site missed me. It missed me so much it broke itself in new and exciting ways. Expect downtime tonight or tommorow morning to clean up the mess.

In other news, my dislike for phpBB has grown to near epic proportions. I know a lot of you guys were waiting (like I was) for the new version of phpBB to be released and then we would upgrade the forum software. I finally decided it wasn't worth it. I along with a couple other people will be making a new forum software. The details are slowly comming out, but what I can tell you is it will be open source, and it won't be written in PHP. *Insert Dramatic Music*

-Alpha

Älphämönkëy on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    I am highly interested in installing your forum software on my website. I've gotten quite sick of phpBB's lethargicness myself.

Kinda like what has driven me to consider forking e107 and comandeering my own actually-working branch of it.

Anyway, really interested to see what you have cooked up. What language? FORTRAN? qbasic? Ruby? Sapphire? Emerald?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    poop onepoop one Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    welcome back, alpha! have fun fixing...everything..

poop one on
    calvin.gif
  • Options
    scjohnnoscjohnno Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    We missed you, good to see you back. :)

scjohnno on
    ...a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. I must, of course, admit that if such an opinion became common it would completely transform our social life and our political system; since both are at present faultless, this must weigh against it. - Bertrand Russell
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    You code monkeys (no pun intended) and your software developing. Sounds like quite the project.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2005
    FyreWulff wrote:
    I am highly interested in installing your forum software on my website.
    Innuendo a go go! :winky: :winky: :winky:

Anyway, welcome back Alpha. We all missed you.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    i'm interested to see where this goes. mmmm, yes. certainly.

Rans on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Nooo but I like phpBB

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    *chants*

J2EE, J2EE, J2EE

Session Facades, Session Facades, Session Facades

No Entity Beans, No Entity Beans

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    Orthanc wrote:
    *chants*

J2EE, J2EE, J2EE

Umm... Struts! LAMP!

...WYSIWYG?

mcc on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    mcc wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:
    *chants*

J2EE, J2EE, J2EE

Umm... Struts! LAMP!

...WYSIWYG?

Struts for web rendering, J2EE session facades for transaction management, hibernate for persistance.

Nothing tops that.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2005
    oh man this is good but

but

oh god does this mean i'll have to learn to use something other than BBCode

oh god

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Yay alpha!

Toast on
  • Options
    SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    I am interested to learn what language you plan on using. If you do go the J2EE route my brother might be a little interested too since he is some kind of java god and loves a good challenge.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    alpha will probably code it in assembler, or with a magnet and a needle

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Yay for Alpha!

Any idea how long the downtime will be?

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2005
    Ruby on Rails!

Also, I'm highly interested in this new forum software, and would like to give a hand if possible.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    MySQL is repaired. Most bugs should be fixed, but I'm not done yet.

I thought about using J2EE a lot but that's not it. I've got my crazy darkhorse language I'm going to use. If I need help, I'll let you guys know.

*Scurries away to fix other bugs*

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005

I thought about using J2EE a lot but that's not it. I've got my crazy darkhorse language I'm going to use. If I need help, I'll let you guys know.

I don't want to be a bother, but the time travel bug popped up again this morning and is still working in those two threads. Just so you know

mcc on
  • Options
    BesigedBBesigedB Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    How come vanilla phpBB doesn't have all of these problems?

BesigedB on
    this is a small sig to not get in your way
  • Options
    SlignotSlignot Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    For the server, I suggest kicking it.

Seriously, glad you're back; we've seen some truly interesting things.

Slignot on
    5535a6a4.png
  • Options
    ReleRele Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    YAY! ALPHA'S BACK!! WOO!! GET OUT THE TEQUILA AND VODKA!

Rele on
  • Options
    edited May 2005

If it's flex I'm going to hit you.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    Not PHP?

Alpha likes FreeBSD... is it Perl? Tell me it's Perl.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    I will approve of anything alpha does to the new forums as long as :eng101: becomes one of the emoticons.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Not PHP?

Perl is a jack of all trades, master of none language.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    FyreWulff wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Not PHP?

Perl is a jack of all trades, master of none language.

Well he hinted that it was a darkhorse candidate.

Anyhow, guys, I've haxxorred alpha's secret blog and this is what he plans on using: TEH SECRETZ

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2005
    And the site missed me. It missed me so much it broke itself in new and exciting ways. Expect downtime tonight or tommorow morning to clean up the mess.

In other news, my dislike for phpBB has grown to near epic proportions. I know a lot of you guys were waiting (like I was) for the new version of phpBB to be released and then we would upgrade the forum software. I finally decided it wasn't worth it. I along with a couple other people will be making a new forum software. The details are slowly comming out, but what I can tell you is it will be open source, and it won't be written in PHP. *Insert Dramatic Music*

-Alpha

Alpha, this clearly an epic move!

What else could it possibly be done in? Perl?

BTW... will our post counts and stuff carry over?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Jasconius wrote:

-Alpha

Your postcounts are irrelevant!

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    if I don't get my join date and post count I will put up a hissy fit on par with that of a 4 year old whose parents wouldn't get him a happy meal.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    Jasconius wrote:

J2EE is closest to what we will be using. Users will carry over. Im not sure about posts, if they come over it will be an all or nothing thing.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Any idea when this new forum software will be completed? A month? A year?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2005
    Slungsolow wrote:
    if I don't get my join date and post count I will put up a hissy fit on par with that of a 4 year old whose parents wouldn't get him a happy meal.
    Is the 4-year-old already hooked on fast food?

I can't wait to see what will come out of this. I do hope we get to keep our accounts and info, though.

edit: Hmm.. this is what happens when you don't read every post.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    Jasconius wrote:

J2EE is closest to what we will be using. Users will carry over. Im not sure about posts, if they come over it will be an all or nothing thing.

Well, we could carry the post counts over, right?

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    Jasconius wrote:

Since you've ruled out J2EE I'm presuming this means standard J2SE servlets. For a site like this where there is no need for distributed transactions JMS or the like, there is realy no advantage to using J2EE over J2SE as long as you use the appropriate libraries (hibernate, struts etc.)

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Well, what's it going to look like? Will it look the same as these forums or will it look like a million dollars: excessive, cluttered, and better kept in the bank?

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Paladin wrote:
    Well, what's it going to look like? Will it look the same as these forums or will it look like a million dollars: excessive, cluttered, and better kept in the bank?
    phpBB has pretty much the best interface of any BB software I've used, and I'd really really hope that the front end is kept as similar as possible.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    phpBB 2.0.15 came out today. I'll merge the changes into our local CVS and test them out. Once it is stable I will check out the sources to the public.

Regarding the new forums, UI in phpBB 2.0.x is amazing while 3.0.x looks cluttered and painful. The forums I am thinking about will have some shiny nice new features that will be unique to the software. If people hate it a lot in testing we might go back to the plain style for a while until I can make a UI that conveys what I'm thinking in a good way.

I don't like giving times as my times are more of ballparks then deadlines, but 3 months was thrown around I had in a conversation a while ago. I like that number.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited May 2005
    Oh man

alpha is coding the new forums in PASCAL

Knob on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    Knob wrote:
    Oh man

alpha is coding the new forums in PASCAL
    Thats TurboPASCAL to you Mister.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    I heard it was punch-code strips that he was feeding into the UNIVAC that obviously powers the forums

FyreWulff on