As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck Muscle Cramps, this is a Teddy Roosevelt thread

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    then it's just a matter of definition, which I may have confused

I will put it plainly

so long as the fetus is not self aware its fine to conduct an abortion

this moment in time, according to my view, is when the baby kicks

afterwards its not

this is just my personal belief, I'm not saying "by this parameter men should conduct their affairs"

A person in a vegetative state (i.e. brain dead but breathing) can kick due to involuntary muscle contractions. Are they self aware?

Kicking =/= self aware. I'm not saying a kicking fetus isn't self aware, but causation DO DO DO, correlation DEE DEE DEE.

Hunter on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ness445 wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    I don't get the big deal about fetuses. I mean, it's not like we have a shortage of people on the planet. We don't really need anymore.

Not until we can make a shift towards greater sustainability and start our campaign of galactic conquest, anyways.
    look man, those fetuses could be put to work in the dilithium mines
    People seriously underestimate the value of fetus labor. Their hands are tiny, and can reach places a normal person's can't. Very beneficial when you're working with tiny robots, which are necessary for dilithium cultivation.
    the tyrell corporation didn't make enough nexus 6 replicants that were infant size.

this ultimately led to the downfall of civilization.
    "More fetus than fetus" was the marketing slogan for the Nexus 6.
    the four year lifespan on the fetus models was rarely needed, they just genetically engineered them to remain that size for eternity.

Who cares if they devolped emotions, they were pretty easy to oppress.
    Seriously. I mean, what are they going to do about it? Nothing. You know why? Because they're tiny.

Also: because they're babies.
    If we can't stop the robot baby uprising it's time for the human race to throw in the fucking towel.

I mean, good job on becoming the dominant species, but the thing you created that led to your ultimate destruction was robot babies?! Good fucking work geniuses.
    But that's just it; no one expects a robot baby uprising! The little fuckers could bomb the capitol tomorrow, and they'd never be the prime suspects. We'd be halfway up some Muslim extremist's butt before we'd even think to investigate the possibility of a robot baby terrorism.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

I will put it plainly

afterwards its not

this is just my personal belief, I'm not saying "by this parameter men should conduct their affairs"

Just as and aside, when we went for our month ultrasound, it was swimming and bouncing all around in there like a spaz.

At one point just doing a backstroke with her hands behind her head, just chilling out.

It was.. weird.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    lol you know what would be funny guys

fetus catapults

Most people would be shocked by that, but I'm so "edgy" I said it anyway!

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hunter wrote: »

I will put it plainly

afterwards its not

A person in a vegetative state (i.e. brain dead but breathing) can kick due to involuntary muscle contractions. Are they self aware?

Kicking =/= self aware. I'm not saying a kicking fetus isn't self aware, but causation DO DO DO, correlation DEE DEE DEE.

I know

it's perfectly reasonable a kick is just a nerve misfiring, and means nothing as to the baby's conciseness

I choose to believe that, from that point on, the risk that it isn't should override the possibility that it is

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fetus catapults are shit. From a butt. Fetus trebuchets are where it's at.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Damn, Hacksaw, that's some funny shit right there.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    We developed gun powder based weapons for a reason guys. Sure, you'll have to sabot the fetus to get a good seal for some velocity, but that's not too difficult.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wait, wait, I know.

What if we used fetuses as some kind of power source? Like we powered our cars with ground up fetal parts or something?

I can barely see through my tears I'm laughing so hard.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hey Deacon, what if I developed a technology that could turn aborted fetuses into a cure for homosexuality. Which greater good/evil/whatever would you pick?

Hunter on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I will put it plainly

afterwards its not

Also, some babies just don't kick. It doesn't happen often, and is usually a sign that you have a dead baby inside you, but sometimes a healthy and otherwise normal baby can come to term without any noticeable kicking. Even more often, they kick infrequently, or late in their development, and so on. In the same way that kicking does not indicate self awareness, not kicking doesn't indicate a lack of self awareness.

I think maybe it's intended to be a sort of rule of thumb, in which case it's not really any more or less arbitrary than restrictions based on week, size, or trimester, but I'm generally opposed to using a "rule of thumb" when you're asking whether or not it's okay to kill something.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hey Deacon, what if I developed a technology that could turn aborted fetuses into a cure for homosexuality. Which greater good/evil/whatever would you pick?

Well, if we could identify the "gay gene", there would be nothing wrong with aborting a fetus based on that... right?

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Or even better, if we could somehow turn that gene off.

I mean you're just messing with a fetus, not doing something to another person, so it's cool.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Now I'm just thinking of that episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia where Mac pretends to be rabidly pro-life to hook up with the hot pro-life chick, and then when she tells him she's pregnant, he slips up and immediately says "you have to get an abortion!"

And it turned out she was just testing him

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    hell, single celled organisms exhibit motility
    sperm are motile

does that make them sentient?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009

None of man's greatest accomplishments have been achieved without the sacrifice of a few lives.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Well, if we could identify the "gay gene", there would be nothing wrong with aborting a fetus based on that... right?

Well we can't believe there's a gay gene, because then we could test for it. That would mean we would have no basis to deny homosexual couples the rights to adopt because their environment could no way affect the child's sexuality later in life.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

it's good to know there are some things we can still agree on

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Now I'm just thinking of that episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia where Mac pretends to be rabidly pro-life to hook up with the hot pro-life chick, and then when she tells him she's pregnant, he slips up and immediately says "you have to get an abortion!"

Just now?

I think of that the moment anyone ever mentions abortions.

Sometimes it makes me giggle.

Sometimes people think I'm creepy.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Well now

If my idiotic parents could have known beforehand about my medical problems, should they have aborted me?

I have cost taxpayers and private insurance millions. literally. multiple millions of dollars.

Have my contributions to society offset this cost?

no. no they have not. Therefore on a logical level. I should have been aborted. And I am ok with this. I personally believe that this kind of logic SHOULD be put into use. If the strain on society is not off-set by the end product, cut it at the root.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Just now?

I think of that the moment anyone ever mentions abortions.

Sometimes it makes me giggle.

Sometimes people think I'm creepy.
    which makes my attraction to pregnant ladies raise even further questions.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Stale wrote: »

Well now

If my idiotic parents could have known beforehand about my medical problems, should they have aborted me?

I have cost taxpayers and private insurance millions. literally. multiple millions of dollars.

no. no they have not. Therefore on a logical level. I should have been aborted. And I am ok with this. I personally believe that this kind of logic SHOULD be put into use. If the strain on society is not off-set by the end product, cut it at the root.

Or if we had the technology we could have fixed the problems too.

Maybe given you gecko hands or bat wings too. Spice it up a bit.

Hunter on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    sperm are motile

My sperm told me they don't like it when you chew them.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Well we can't believe there's a gay gene, because then we could test for it. That would mean we would have no basis to deny homosexual couples the rights to adopt because their environment could no way affect the child's sexuality later in life.

No, I mean the gene that could predispose you towards homosexuality, we know there are environmental factors as well.

I mean, even if it's 1%, you can't be too careful, and it's not really a person, so...

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    sperm are motile

How do they get from his asshole all the way to his mouth?

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    which makes my attraction to pregnant ladies raise even further questions.

No that's cool, I'm down with that.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    We developed gun powder based weapons for a reason guys. Sure, you'll have to sabot the fetus to get a good seal for some velocity, but that's not too difficult.
    I'm fine with this as long as we use brown fetuses

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    sperm are motile

he insists on kissing afterwards

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009

race-card.jpg

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    sperm are motile

You know those little snot sucker things you use to clear a baby's nose?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Well now

i haven't cost the taxpayers as much money as you, but i have cost quite a bit! my friend asks me why i don't just sell my sperm, and when i inform them that i don't think i could handle the thought of putting a child through multiple craniofacial surgeries if there is something genetically wrong with me instead of shitty luck.

if it's just shitty luck i'd do it all day long, but if there is something wrong genetically that is traceable? nah, that's wrong.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    sperm are motile

he insists on kissing afterwards
    druhim is the progenitor of ass to mouth.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009

No, I mean the gene that could predispose you towards homosexuality, we know there are environmental factors as well.

I mean, even if it's 1%, you can't be too careful, and it's not really a person, so...

Hey now, only gay men and ugly gay women are potentially environmental dangers. Hot bi-curious chicks are all American fun.

As for the fetus, we can install some anti-gay shielding inside the uterus to protect it from the environmental stimulus. Hang little American flags, red meat, and pictures of Ronald Reagan in there. Then we can genetically program them to work blue collar jobs, pay their taxes, and be satisfied buying commercial electronic devices every fiscal cycle. Like shoes with lights in them and a new iPod nano deluxe super supreme infinity pro elite X-2.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Hey now, only gay men and ugly gay women are potentially environmental dangers. Hot bi-curious chicks are all American fun.

As for the fetus, we can install some anti-gay shielding inside the uterus to protect it from the environmental stimulus. Hang little American flags, red meat, and pictures of Ronald Reagan in there. Then we can genetically program them to work blue collar jobs, pay their taxes, and be satisfied buying commercial electronic devices every fiscal cycle. Like shoes with lights in them and a new iPod nano deluxe super supreme infinity pro elite X-2.

the X-3 is far superior

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    this thread isn't fun anymore

stop it guys

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    neither is the animal one

that's cause there are retarded people posting

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited March 2009

the X-3 is far superior

You would be stupid not to buy one. Un-American too.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

race-card.jpg
    oh shiiiiiii

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I believe that eugenics could be extremely beneficial, and that without it there will be a much more catastrophic, natural, and unavoidable adjustment of the gene pool. I have some hesitations about the practicality of execution, but I believe this could be easily overcome.

At the same time, I am extremely opposed to it on moral grounds and so would not consider supporting in any way any effort with any eugenic basis.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    YOU MOTHERFUCKERS ARE BORING ME TO TEARS.

SERIOUSLY, I'VE HAD MORE STIMULATING CONVERSATIONS WITH STRIPPERS.

Darth Waiter on
This discussion has been closed.