As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 3-25-09: The Hat Trick

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Graphic Violence
This was a pretty big week.

Anyway, MA #23 was very good, we had this nice exchange:
ma23a.jpg

And at the very end we got this wicked awesome scene:
ma23b.jpg

I like this twist, as Wanda should only appear again to be killed off for being a psycho 'hose beast.

Also, Oracle #1 had some insane cheesecake, not to mention the cover. Decent read, but DC has telegraphed this way too much, you know where it's ending up. But hey, wheelchair cheesecake works too it seems:
oc1.jpg

TexiKen on

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New Avengers:
    I honestly expected Peter to quit. I was already getting angry, then I turned the page! Good Job!

Ending to mighty avengers was interesting as well... When do we find out what the other Dark Illumnati are up to? We've covered Frost, Loki and The Hood...

Sharp101 on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Also, Oracle #1 had some insane cheesecake, not to mention the cover. Decent read, but DC has telegraphed this way too much, you know where it's ending up. But hey, wheelchair cheesecake works too it seems:
    oc1.jpg

So, am I to guess that she
    Is going to be batgirl again?

noir_blood on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So Butch Guice did a much better job drawing Natasha this month. Also, there's nothing like an angry Namor beatdown.

And naturally, Daredevil was good. Its always good.
    "Hnnh. . . That's what I like about you. . . You don't even realize what an optimist you truly are. . .

I wouldn't worry about after, Murdock. . . I wasn't planning to survive . . ."

Lucascraft on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    oc1.jpg

So, am I to guess that she
    Is going to be batgirl again?
    Pretty much. DC was terrible at trying to keep it a secret. At least give some doubt about it. And it's very heavy handed in the story, as she keeps feeling ghost pains.

It was Batman "my parents are deaaaaad!!!" excessive

TexiKen on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    New Avengers:
    I honestly expected Peter to quit. I was already getting angry, then I turned the page! Good Job!

Ending to mighty avengers was interesting as well... When do we find out what the other Dark Illumnati are up to? We've covered Frost, Loki and The Hood...

Namor is helping Osborn track Iron Man, Doom is busy fighting Morgana La Fey in Dark Avengers.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    New Avengers:

Namor is helping Osborn track Iron Man, Doom is busy fighting Morgana La Fey in Dark Avengers.

Hood is
    Chasing up the sorcerer supreme in order to take his title

Dreamon on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oracle was fucking awful

awful

Sars_Boy on
    edited March 2009
    Would you say it made your head explode, Sars? They hurt sometimes, you know.

TexiKen on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    no it was just terrible

not even in a BAWWW BARBARA IS WRITTEN OUT OF CHARACTER SHE WOULD NEVER TAKE A SHOWER AT THAT TIME OF DAY Scans Daily sense

in a "this is bad writing" sense

Sars_Boy on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New:
    I liked New Avengers, but it seemed a little contrived, having to read them just discovering who Peter Parker is. Whatevs!

Mighty:
    Didn't like the twist, so much. And the fucking Hank Pym dick sucking contest felt so heavy handed. He is telling me to love Hank Pym. The whole world loves Hank Pym. Hank Pym is suddenly awesome. BLAH.

Nova/GoG:
    I liked the crossovery feel to reading them back to back, with Quasar. I really enjoyed Nova, and GoG was a solid read as always. Nova as the new Guardian of the Universe. Wowiezowie!

All I've read so far.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited March 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I liked New Avengers, but it seemed a little contrived, having to read them just discovering who Peter Parker is. Whatevs!

Mighty:
    Didn't like the twist, so much. And the fucking Hank Pym dick sucking contest felt so heavy handed. He is telling me to love Hank Pym. The whole world loves Hank Pym. Hank Pym is suddenly awesome. BLAH.
    So they know Peter's identity now?

And Pym didn't really do anything though, it was Cho who saved the day. That's why it felt stupid with that part. Tony being a dick though, I endorse. Especially to Pym

TexiKen on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    What the fuck was going on with that Pym cock sucking fest? He didnt do a god damn thing and then everyone, even people who were there got on their knees and licked his balls.

DarkWarrior on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Slott's made it his mission to rehabilitate Pym as a character, hasn't he?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2009
    The guy is too smug to be rehabiliated as a character. Hes been gone having been replaced by Skrulls after his repeated fuck ups mentioned in another topic here and hes all "Iron Man? That dude who did shit I was told about after I got back, missing the big stuff? You want HIM to lead you instead of the wonder that is me? You fuckin' tapped in the head people? Watch as I go over here and get electrocuted"

DarkWarrior on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Slott's made it his mission to rehabilitate Pym as a character, hasn't he?

Yes.

Also, I eagerly await an opportunity to find out what Phyla is now so he can punch her in the heart like he did with Thanos.

Crimsondude on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New
    I wonder if there's some sort of end game for the whole Brand New Day thing, or if Marvel will just keep dancing around it until enough history has built up that you can't ever really unwind the mess they've made. I have a feeling this is going to end up as one of those examples that people hold up for why stories without ends don't work.

werehippy on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    New
    I wonder if there's some sort of end game for the whole Brand New Day thing, or if Marvel will just keep dancing around it until enough history has built up that you can't ever really unwind the mess they've made. I have a feeling this is going to end up as one of those examples that people hold up for why stories without ends don't work.

You can write a story that's without end (or at least really long) extremely well. It's just that you need to know basic plot points somewhat ahead of time so you can hit them within the existing narrative frame.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2009
    Oh, I just realized something. While GoG/Nova was neat, it wasn't my MotW. Weeks with DD and Cap are always hard not to say "all of it". Plus Iron Fist and... Agh. But no.

It was in Thunderbolts when Paladin responds to a comment by Black Widow II.
    "Wait a second. You're tellin' me Norman Osborn found the cure for cancer ...

... an' he turned it into a weapon?"

Anyway, going back to NA for a sec. Do you think this is going to affect his date with Carol?

EDIT: Fixed the quote.

Crimsondude on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ahahahahaha

Antimatter on
    edited March 2009
    Superman #686 may be my MOW now. I didn't really have one yet, but man, it was good. Robinson is really hitting a stride now:
    Mon-El is doing good showing him adapting to Metropolis, including the way he fights villains and thinking on the fly about his hair and his secret identity.

The only thing of complaint is Guedes is using Tom Welling for his face for Mon-El

I really thought about dropping the Superman books when they decided to kick the man out of his own books, but all 4 titles have impressed me since Superman left.

TexiKen on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyway, going back to NA for a sec. Do you think this is going to affect his date with Carol?

Who has a date with Carol?

KVW on
    edited March 2009
    Spider-Man. From Ms. Marvel #31 or so.

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2009
    Dude should be too busy banging Cage's missus.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2009
    You go ahead and sleep with the wife of a man with unbreakable skin and a crowbar that hurts gods and blew up Venom.

Me, I'm hittin' the big-tittied blonde who owes me one and is suffering some sort of depression.

Crimsondude on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It'll be kinda hard for Pete to do that with a dead woman. There's that good ol' Parker luck again.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited March 2009
    Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

And if the game involves broken ribs, its worth it. Doubt Cage could catch Spider-Man anyway.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    It'll be kinda hard for Pete to do that with a dead woman. There's that good ol' Parker luck again.

Sez u.

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I gotta a ton of stuff today so I have a few MotWs. The end of GotG, the end of Mighty Avengers, Namor in Cap, all of New Avengers, and the end of Skaar. Another MotW is finally picking up the Agents of Atlas trade. I'll probably read it when the ongoing series starts nearing its trade run.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited March 2009
    I really liked Thunderbolts with Deadpool but then everything with Deadpool for the last few months has been gold.

DarkWarrior on
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You go ahead and sleep with the wife of a man with unbreakable skin and a crowbar that hurts gods and blew up Venom.

Me, I'm hittin' the big-tittied blonde who owes me one and is suffering some sort of depression.

No argument there. Ms. Marvel? Yes please.

Surprisingly big week this week. I ran out of cash and have to go back tomorrow to get Mighty and Cap.

KidDork on
    edited March 2009
    I just read Thunderbolts, and that was good too. The art was wonky in some places, and there was no sense of perspective in panels, but it was a good read. Deadpool trying to swat Ant-Man was funny, pointing out the macguffin was funny, it was a fun issue.

This really is a strong weak week. Im keeping it that way just for you, Yak. Yakkity Yak

TexiKen on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This really is a strong weak.

Paradox implosion.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Heh, Jessica Jones = Coma Girl

Still, my moment of the week was when the Hood confronted Strange.

kfrooster on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    By the time bendis retires Jessica Jones will be a founding member of every MARVEL super hero team.

Algertman on
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    By the time bendis retires Jessica Jones will be a founding member of every MARVEL super hero team.

I will fucking laugh if, by editorial fiat, she gets thrown onto the Exiles or something.

Darklyre on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oracle was weird.
    She needed to be told how avatars work in an MMORPG. Also, instead of technobabble super hacking, she mostly spent time chatting with buddies online, getting them to do all the work. And apparently, she does her awesome techno stuff by moving pictograms around with a touchscreen.

And I can only assume the writer read Snow Crash.

TeaSpoon on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The guy is too smug to be rehabiliated as a character. Hes been gone having been replaced by Skrulls after his repeated fuck ups mentioned in another topic here and hes all "Iron Man? That dude who did shit I was told about after I got back, missing the big stuff? You want HIM to lead you instead of the wonder that is me? You fuckin' tapped in the head people? Watch as I go over here and get electrocuted"

Smug? Hank 'inferiority complex' Pym? Is he actually smug, or is this just the regular Pym bashing that goes on here?

And considering how the summary of recent events since he was gone was 'Stark helped cause the civil war, Stark helped cause the hulk attack, Stark helped cause the skrull invasion', and is then BEGGED to lead the avengers by saying that he's the ONLY ONE who can lead them, after not wanting to - I can see how he'd be pissed that they all run to stark.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Smug? Hank 'inferiority complex' Pym? Is he actually smug, or is this just the regular Pym bashing that goes on here?

And considering how the summary of recent events since he was gone was 'Stark helped cause the civil war, Stark helped cause the hulk attack, Stark helped cause the skrull invasion', and is then BEGGED to lead the avengers by saying that he's the ONLY ONE who can lead them, after not wanting to - I can see how he'd be pissed that they all run to stark.

He wasn't smug, it's just Pym hate. He was mostly just going "Come on guys, seriously I can do this this time" while Tony is treating him like shit the entire time.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just read X-Force.

:cry:

Edit: Force, I meant Force.

Scooter on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Future Crazy Deadpool in X-Force was pretty awesome too.

Sharp101 on