As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4E-Recuitment] Evefront

manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Critical Failures
This is a Play By Posts 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons campaign intended for five players starting at level one using a custom campaign setting and standard rules.

Game Info
During the game you must post at least once per day on weekdays, I'm willing to give leeway but if we're waiting on an important action from a character I will make it for the player.
We will be using Mythweavers for character sheets and Invisible Castle for dice rolling.
For character creation I'm allowing content from any 4E Wizards produced book(PHB1/2, Martial Power) but not from the D&D magazines. I should mention I only have the core books so be sure to give exact details on things from non-core books for my current benefit.
Characters are to be made using the Standard 22-Point Buy System with 100gp for starting equipment.

World Info
Shitty Map Action!(click for bigger version)
EvefrontMapsmaller.png
(when refering to time, the present is considered the start of the campaign game)
The Basics

Being the most populated continent in the world Evefront is a melting pot of various races populating the land. The environment like the residents is also filled with variety with the the icey peaks of the Northern Mountains, the temperate forests within the territories of Mandrith and Vlax, the flat plains of Tremas and Thazal, the various jungles and swamps within Crimos, and the deadly Szathza Desert.

One thing that has always been constant within Evefront is conflict stretching back almost a millennium to wars between the older races such as Elfs and Dwarfs for control of valuable lands. While few outright wars exist at the time of our adventures the various governments and races have a complex multi-polar power system with alliances and oppositions changing over time. Along with the possibility of an invading country the common person living in Evefront also must contend with more immediate dangers such as aggressive monsters who often see most of the races as either food or potential slaves. While some places are more safe than others such as Thazal with it's mighty guard and the Church of Bahamut others are primarily untamed wilderness only inhabited by the toughest of the tough.

For these two reasons Evefront is always in need of those who are able to rise above the common folk as true heroes. While adventurers will often have different reasons for putting their lives in danger, whether for the good of their god, the request of their leadership, out of their own kindness, or the allure of riches and fame, adventurers are always valued within this world.

Politics

Evefront is designated into nineteen different territories mostly based off political treaties and natural features. While most territories are controlled by one central government some governments have control over multiple territories. For example the Kingdom of Thazal has control of Thazal, Tremas, Mandrith, and Vlax. Some territories also have multiple governments battling for control within it's boarders such as Lothan. In most cases there is very little major warfare existing within Evefront except for specific cases. As described above Lothan is one of the most disputed pieces of land due to it's many natural resources and access to many trades routes. Also the Dwarfs of Krok and the Elves of Dermec are within a centuries old conflict that dates back to the original creation of these two governments.

One of the most important aspects of this world Is colonization. About 20 years ago a continent which for the most part had been unknown to many of the residents of Evefront has been discovered far east of Evefront across the massive Acernot Ocean. All of the major governments see this new land as a source of great new value both for resources and prestige. While there are many colonies within this new continent of Aleryntor much of it has not been explored and is still residence to many inhabitants who do not approve of this incursion.

In many ways Evefront is similar to Europe within it's colonial era with it's many regional disputes and multi-polar power system.

Adventure Info
The people have spoken we will be playing the
The Black Ops Adventure:The players as an established adventuring party are hired under the table by the Kingdom of Thazal in order to take out leaders or organizations which threaten the stability and their control of the region.
with a dash of
The Colonization Adventure:

If you like to join just post what adventure your most interested in and the character you'd like to play as(if you really want you can make separate characters for the adventures). I don't need a character sheet right away but if it is not present by the deadline you will not be considered. The deadline for character submissions will be April 1st(Next Wednesday). I will be selecting which adventure I will be using on March 28(this Saturday) so if there's an adventure you really want to do make a post before then. I'm doing it this way so people can modify or make their characters based on what adventure we end up playing.

Once April 1st rolls around I will be selecting 5 characters based on party balance, which characters looks interesting to me and possibly random choice.

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
manaleak34 on

• Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, i'll plop down one of the character's I already have from myth-weavers. As I said before, I'd like a mix of the black ops/colonization

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm interested. Very interested actually.

I've had trouble with games in the past, however, so I'll understand if I'm not on the highest list of players-wanted. I'm most interested in the colonization scenario... I've always loved the adventure aspect of D&D, and I feel that's one of the things it can do best, wild adventure through dangerous and mysterious unexplored territory, with mystery and magic to be discovered. I've got any number of interesting characters I might like to submit, and I'll work some ideas up for you tomorrow.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ill make up a character, but i just wanted to say black ops is for sure the way to go.

psolms on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm in like Flynn, and black ops seems like a great idea to go with.

Riff Pilgrim, Human Bard
    Character Sheet

Concept
    riffpilgrim.jpg

Background and other info
    Personality Traits
    Riff is nothing if not a gambler; however, his ability to weave an elaborate con has landed him in more trouble than wealth.

The bard is at home in a tavern behind a hand of cards, with ivory dice in his hands, or a stein of ale at his lips. Drink, music, women, and the clever proliferation of all three are what make up most of his nights.

Just when things seem to be going his way, Fate has a way of stepping in and fixing the dice--as if Riff hadn't done that already.
    Mannerisms and Appearance
    Riff has long, brown hair. There are a few strands carefully woven into long, thin braids in seemingly random places. A well groomed, tapered mustache and beard gives the bard an air of defiance.

He constantly picks at his lute--never quite strumming a tune, but always creating half-sounds and almost-melodies that still somehow lift the spirit of nearby listeners.
    Before the adventure...
    Riff knocked three times on the thick, iron door. He whispered the pass-phrase to the gruff looking eyes that peered through a drawn-back peep-hole and was admitted entrance.

"This is more like it," he thought. "I knew that brute wouldn't steer me wrong."

Earlier that week, Riff had a string of good fortune at a game of dice with a Half-Orc named Keldahr, but the poor sap's money ran dry. Riff went easy on him: partly because his dice were loaded--as they always were--and partly because he was feelingly exceptionally jovial that night. In exchange for Riff not introducing Keldahr's face to the tavern floor, he told the bard about a high-stakes poker game where he could really clean up. This was the stake he had been waiting for.

Riff sat down at vacant seat at one of the tables in the room--there were several. Throwing a bag of gold to the table's dealer, he was given several stacks of coloured chips.

"I hope you came ready to play, little man."

It was an enormous creature with speckled skin. Seated, he was nearly as tall as the other patrons walking to and fro around the tables.

"I wouldn't have come otherwise," he said nervously. "Deal me in."

The dealer cracked a quick smile as he dealt him a hand, but he retracted back to his usual, professional demeanour as soon as Riff noticed. The other players stared down at their hands without saying a word. Their eyes were fixed on their cards in front of them as if they were going to vanish into thin air. Only the towering Goliath looked up, staring at Riff under a jutting ridge of a brow.

"Something isn't right," thought Riff.

As he reached down to pull back his chair and excuse himself, it knocked against something solid. Looking back, he saw two more Goliaths towering over him, heads tucked awkwardly down to avoid scraping the ceiling of the dark room.

"Your debts precede you, bard," said the seated Goliath. "I don't think I have to explain what comes next."

Riff let out a tired sigh and reached into a lumpy sack beside his chair, pulling out an ornate wooden lute. The Goliaths laughed.

"What are you gonna do, sing us to death?" said one of the towering giants.

The bard stood up and smiled at the debt collectors.

"Not quite," he said, before he broke the wooden instrument across the face of the one blocking his escape.

As he ran through the back alleys, he made a mental note to remember to show that Half-Orc, Keldahr, a thing or two about loyalty.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    likethesearchenginelikethesearchengine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Very cool. I'm very interested, and I like the black ops angle.

Do you mind if I plop down a couple of characters to give you more options? I'm pretty much up for any role but leader, but I have a couple in mind that I want to play.

Would drow be a problem in this setting?

likethesearchengine on
    moulder_sage_magic.gif
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm in, and am down for the Black Ops angle. Preferably with a little bit of the exploration of the unknown from the colonies idea.

Are all of the standard races allowed?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm in. I like the Black ops idea, with secondary interest in colonization. No idea what I am going to apply with yet and probably won't be able to even think about it until this weekend. I'll probably pick something from PHB2, though, because it's shiny.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No race restrictions as long as it's designed for character use. I don't want to be a jerk and say you can't play something just because I deemed it non-existent in my world.

I'm fine if you want to plop down multiple characters but if you can give them a ranking so I know which ones you want to play the most.

Also if it comes to it I think I could be able to mix the Black-Ops and Colonization themes together.

manaleak34 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm assuming we're going with the 22 point buy, 100 starting gold system, which is how I have my character set up. If you need me to change or add any more info to his sheet I'll be pleased to do so.

Ain Soph on
  • Options
    MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd like to try this, I'll come up with a character over the weekend, probably from the PHB2, and I think the Black Ops would be very interesting.

Maximus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ain Soph wrote: »
    I'm assuming we're going with the 22 point buy, 100 starting gold system, which is how I have my character set up. If you need me to change or add any more info to his sheet I'll be pleased to do so.

Oh yeah this. I should probably add that to the OP.

manaleak34 on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, I'm tossing between a Halfling rogue or Dragonborn fighter.

I should have a sheet up by tomorrow.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like the Black Ops theme. as for characters i obviously want something from the phb2 and not a rogue because im sure we'll have plenty of submissions for that.

1. Human Primal Predator Druid. ( a controller/striker who can shift from beast to human form)
    2. Deva Covenant of Wrath Invoker (a divine controller/striker)
    3. Avenger (a divine striker/controller that specilizes in isolating one enemy at a time.)
    4. Gensai Swordmage (a magic defender/controller)

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    KevdogKevdog Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The black ops adventure definitely sounds interesting. Could you describe the government that's hired the party a little more? Are they benevolent rulers defending a kingdom they've worked for generations to build, or iron-fisted tyrants subverting those who would topple them in the people's name, or just hereditary nobles trying to protect their own interests and station in life, or something in between?

Also, would the party be expected to be extra sneaky? I have a dwarf cleric rolled up from another D&D thread that I could use, but he has a Dex score of 8, which would be a hindrance to a covert group :P

Kevdog on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, i'll plop down one of the character's I already have from myth-weavers. As I said before, I'd like a mix of the black ops/colonization

where does the d12 sword with +3 proficiency bonus come from?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

where does the d12 sword with +3 proficiency bonus come from?

Adventurers vault pg. 9

Two-handed superior melee weapon
    Damage: 1d12
    Proficiency: +3
    Range: -
    Weight: 10 lb.
    Price: 30 gp
    Group: Heavy blade
    Properties: High crit

Ain Soph on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    hm hm

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    hm hm

I don't know what that means.

Ain Soph on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i am just pondering 4e power creep mostly :p

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

You taught me a word this morning. I had to look that up.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited March 2009

The power creep for 4e isn't too bad. The most ridiculously overpowered character I've ever made was using all PHB 1 stuff.

Ain Soph on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You have to pay the feat for proficiency in these weapons so it's not too bad really.

Seeing as my other non D&D game seems to have died out I'd love to run a Shaman. Will sort out details later.

GHOST BEAR!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

The power creep for 4e isn't too bad. The most ridiculously overpowered character I've ever made was using all PHB 1 stuff.

Well its D12 vs D10 on the greatsword, average of +1 damage, just like any other feat :P

Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm away from my computer all day, but I'll definitely be submitting a character tonight.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Black Ops and Colonization both sound fun to me!

I've got two I'd be interested in playing...
    In order of interest...

#1: Name: Aelor Dunbar
    Race: Human
    Class: Fighter, Battlerager
    Background & Info:
    A stout human with broad shoulders and a slightly overweight physique, Aelor Dunbar is nothing special to look at. His blue eyes and always-grinning smile are but minor accents on an otherwise uninteresting face. Short, dark brown, unkempt hair mats his head leaving similarly unkempt sideburns dangling next to his ears. Neither stubborn, nor too-forgiving, Aelor is a kind man who stresses friendship and trust above all else. Although he spends a lot of time over-thinking things, even those of little importance, he is rarely stressed or panicked. Though never one to bully, Aelor has no problem stepping into a fight in the defense of a friend or innocent.

The son of a smith, Aelor Dunbar wasn't destined for great things. At age 12, he began assisting his father as an apprentice and by age 22, he was running the family shop. Their regular clients were the farmers and other craftsmen that populated their small village, though on occasion, they would be patronized by an adventurer looking for repair. Aelor certainly never considered his life to be dull or without merit, but as he met more and more adventurers, his interest in continuing work as a smith dwindled away. On his 25th birthday, the son of a smith packed his things, said goodbye to his family and departed his home in search of excitement and adventure.

#2: Name: Iome
    Race: Human
    Class: Wizard
    Background & Info:
    Once a studious and well-mannered study of arcane magic, Iome became well known as a prodigy for elemental magic in his home town of Nastui, a city of medium population famous for their arcane prowess. Unfortunately, the pressures of society and his peers slowly transformed him into quite a misunderstood character. What started with a practical joke to relieve some of the tensions he faced, he began to utilize his pet gecko, a green and yellow spotted lizard named Bumpkin, as a magical ventriloquist doll. Whether he found solice in the act, or whether the stress pushed him over the edge, noone but he knows. However, he continued this until he had been outcast by not only the academy he studied at but also his family and hometown. Forced into the life of a wandering hermit, Iome has spent the last 30 years of his life seeking companionship and understanding.

Wearing nothing fashionable or even well-tailored, Iome is as odd-looking as he is odd. Not even 50, yet sporting long, unkempt gray hair that stretches down past his shoulders, he is always seen standing slightly leaned forward, like a hunchback without a hunch. A wide nose supports his over-sized spectacles that, much like a magnifying glass would, enlarge his tiny green eyes to the size of the lenses. A long-sleeved faded baggy vest with a home-tailored pocket in the front hold his beloved gecko, Bumpkin, while many secrets bulge through his baggy pants' pockets.

Harlon on
    3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
  • Options
    StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Athlar Elven ranger

Rough character Picture (not mine ofc)
    elven_archer.jpg

Personality
    Athlar was an explorer since as young as he could remember, running through the trees of his People's forest finding new delights as he Ranged further and further from his home. His curiosity was mostly attributed to his fey nature, he would always try new things, whether it be food or drink from the traders that his town received or new techniques with his bow. He is always changing, bettering himself if he can... trying to brush off the complacent nature of the other Long living races.

Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've got a Gnome Barbarian in the works. Black Ops or Colonization would both be good.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd like to join in if there's a space open for a striker or defender. The black ops campaign idea sounds really interesting to me. I'll do up a character tonight and post it when I get it all finished up.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As am I, torn between a Politically Driven Warlord (Games of Thrones like) or some kind of witch-hunter-esque shifter. I'll drop both before COB tomorrow.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    XaiokXaiok Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have a Halfling Rogue idea in my head. Black ops would be awesome, though a colonization could be fun.
    Finnigan Wake
    Manner
    Finn is much more impulsive than many others of his race. Fidgety and inquisitive, he is constantly either fiddling with something or exploring his curiosity by asking more learned people questions. Though he has learned to control his tongue and not ask probing questions to strangers, he cannot control his facial features. Exceptional looking people, be they ugly or beautiful, often find the halfling staring at them, usually trying his best not to burst out an embarrassing question.

Finn delights in the various tricks that he can do with his nimble hands. He often attempts to dazzle a woman in a bar with slight of hand and simple magic tricks, though he's realized over time that this is much more useful to distract their suitors and nab some coins from their purses.

An art lover to the highest degree, Finn suffers from a tragedy of both having no idea what a beautiful piece of art is, and having no artistic abilities of his own. Not for lack of trying, of course.

Appearance
    Shorter and thinner than the "average" halfling, Finnigan makes up for his height with hairstyles that are constantly changing, but always seem to be jumping straight up off his head. His clothing is plain enough, to him at least, as he tried his hand at painting his boots to add some style, but despite his steady hand he has absolutely no artistic sense. He ensures his pants are always covering his drawn on boots, though he secretly still has painting supplies in his pack in case he feels the need to practice.

Finn's brown hair and brown eyes make despise wearing brown, feeling that it's "too much" and "no one would take him seriously" if he had so much of one colour. His leather armor has been dyed, badly by himself, into autumnal oranges and reds.

I'll have the myth-weaver sheet up in a bit, just gotta transfer it from the Insider builder to the website.

Edit: I can't seem to find painting supplies nor glue in the handbook, any idea what I would/should charge myself for them?

Xaiok on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Xaiok wrote: »
    Finnigan Wake

Oh man, I either want to stab you or hold you tenderly for the James Joyce reference. Whichever I choose, it will just keep going forever and ever.

I'm going to roll up a Dragonborn Paladin for this, I think. Will work on it later in the day, when I reinstall the Character Builder again.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    XaiokXaiok Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Xaiok wrote: »
    Finnigan Wake

Oh man, I either want to stab you or hold you tenderly for the James Joyce reference. Whichever I choose, it will just keep going forever and ever.

I'm going to roll up a Dragonborn Paladin for this, I think. Will work on it later in the day, when I reinstall the Character Builder again.

C'mon tenderness....

But I've finished my sheet. Finnigan Wake
    Posting it here and I'll edit it into my above reply so all my stuff is in one location.

Xaiok on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'll just say right now I'm gonna have a though time choosing the characters that will be playing, though I am glad to see this much interest.

manaleak34 on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kilana: Dwarven Shaman - Primal Leader

Picture
    96.jpg

Appearance

A young female dwarf with dirty brown braided hair. She looks upon the world with a sullen and taciturn expression. She wears simple leather garments with little adornment save the odd feather or fringe of fur. A blue tattoo across her face makes her dark eyes appear deeper and more hollowed than her age suggests they should be. She carries a simple short spear strapped to her back and a carved totem hangs at her side. The totem is made from dark wood wrapped with brown fur and is adorned with a number of animal claws hanging from thongs of leather.

Her spirit companion takes the form of a giant spectral bear, but only those who see her in combat will ever witness it.

Story

The spirits of the earth speak to Kilana through her dreams. Following her initial calling dream she abandoned her old life, left her home and travelled out into the wilderness for a year. How did she have any other choice? When she returned from her spirit quest she had forged a deep connection with the primal spirits of the world and been granted their protection as she serves their unfathomable agendas. She is now driven from place to place serving the cause of the spirits as they guide her. Her initial uprooting from her homestead and her wandering life style have both made it hard for her to trust and open up to others and yet to treasure what relationships she does manage to form with her travelling companions when she does let her guard down.

Currently the spirits of the land decree that she aid the King of Thazal and she has long since given up expecting to be given any reason why. For now she is merely happy to have found a group of adventuring companions whom she can truly call friends, although at the back of her mind is the constant fear that at any moment she may be called upon by her unseen masters to see to another task and have to abandon them.

Secretly she imagines convincing them to join her if such a call comes, but does not linger on such thoughts as she truly fears the conflict in her soul if she is forced to choose between her companions and the emotionless primal spirits that guide her.

Char Sheet

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=116406

All the necessary Shaman details should be contained within.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am ok with the black ops or exploration scenarios. I think the two below could work in either. Sheets probably need work, but as it says, I'm new to this.

Alane Alathun
    Human Warlord fallen from the grace of the court, getting by via his sword and his tongue (Think Ben from Lost in chainmail)

Appearance:
    Alane has the look of a man who is listened to. From the fine noble features to the meticulous care he takes in keeping his hair and nails trimmed, the Warlord often finds himself as prepared for a battle within the tight environs of a keep or the wide expanse of a royal ball. While often seen in fine clothing when not in his chainmail, careful observers will note that the clothing is threadbare in places and out of style, telling of his family's less than stellar standing in the world.

Story:
    Alane is the third son of the seventh son of the man who was once the Shield Bearer for the Royal House of Thun within the region of Thazal. A small social mistake at a victory dinner cost his grandfather his place within the house, and ever since then the Alathun's have been nothing but mercenaries for hire - thugs to be used as fodder in the war among the houses. Alane's father remembers the life of the court with fondness, and has always taught Alane that returning to this place of honor is the true measure of a man. As such, Alane has been versed in both warfare and court etiquette, although he has of late excelled further in the intrigues of the latter. Many have followed Alane, but few can ever actually tell if the young warlord has ever told them a word of truth.

Reel
    Razorclaw Shifter Warden whom wanders the dark places that should not be walked.

Appearance:
    Reel keeps his bestial appearance hidden under a broad brimmed hat when he is forced to interact with members of polite society. Although his kind is suffered with dignified grace by the more plentiful humans, elves and dwarves, they often look upon him as a necessary evil. The wirey, almost furry growth along his skin, along the the unnerving green eyes and slightly too long teeth have made him something of a boogy man to the children of any town he passes through. Reel, while he would never admit it, is ashamed of his appearance and hides the evidence of his ancestry underneath voluminous cloaks and robes when he can. Otherwise, when in brief moments of respite, he walks hunched over in his leather armor... Shunning the world as much as he can.

Story:
    Reel's family and tribe was lost to a great massacre that none speak of directly, although stories vary from the revenge of some snubbed Lordling to something darker. Raised by an orphanage in the region of Tremas, Reel ran away when just a young boy and began his life among the wilds of the world.

Of his youth Reel has never spoken much, although the powers that he occasionally shows (The frost tinged breath, the slowness in which his enemies move at times) gives hints to the bargains he has possibly made with dark powers. The rumors of these dalliances are more usually than not put forth by his foes, those slight and weak people who do dally with the darkness. Cultists, kidnappers, doers of foul rites, all have learned to fear the flicker of movement at the corners of their vision. For what might have seemed to be only an illusion, could turn moments later into the choking grip of Reel's chain.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    likethesearchenginelikethesearchengine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I finally copied the sheets to Myth-Weavers:

#1 Preference: Sothal, striker.

Drow Sorcerer with a lot of rage but a lot of patience.

#2 choice: Tanthal, controller.

Eladrin Wizard with a good soul. Somewhat scarred from time in the military, dabbles in the lute to sooth his demons.

Will edit this post with more details on the backgrounds later.

Sothal Appearance:
    Sothal is a male Drow. About 5'10", he is slender but very lithe, but not particularly muscular. He has lightly glowing red eyes (typical of his race) when it is dark, that are more of a milky color when seen in the light. He has silvery-white hair, dulled significantly from its natural luster by exposure to the sun. His back and arms are covered with scars from the scourges of Lolth's (or other deity for this world) priestesses, forming shiny black ridges across his otherwise smooth jet black skin. When completely, uncontrollably enraged, his skin is suffused with a barely perceptible glow of angry red light. Barely perceptible in dusky conditions, it is almost impossible to see in more well lit settings. This is rare, however... he has a high degree of self control and the constantly smoldering rage in his soul is tempered by a cold, fastidious patience. He wears a copper ring on his left little finger, forged forged to contain several strands of the hair of his beloved sister, Thea.

Sothal Background:
    Sothal was a male born to servitude in a lower house in Ahenizonan, but his heart was never in the right place for his setting. It must have somehow run in his family: his eldest brother was brave but kindhearted - weak, they called him - and his only sister also had a gentle soul. He was forced to watch his brother butchered by his father, in an attempt to appease the priestesses... and to teach him a lesson about his behavior. He learned a lesson indeed, but that was only that good acting was key to his survival. He acted hard-hearted and earned favor, until as he turned 20, he took his only chance and absconded with his baby sister. He lived by his wits, providing for himself and his sibling, surviving mainly by luck in their mercifully brief stay in the underdark. He stumbled upon ancient and abandoned dwarven mining caverns, and stealthily made his way to the surface. Learning to scavenge in sunlit forests nearly cost them their lives yet again, but, half-starved and desperate, they made it into the back alleys of (city) by night. In a big, jaded city like this one, a drow thief in the back alleys was little more than a curiosity. He certainly wasn't the first drow to make good an escape to the surface, and though he was met with distrust and hostility by more reputable people than him - that is to say, everyone - at least half of that was due to the fact that he stunk, and tended to be stealing from the people he met. Sothal had always been a little different - preternaturally quick or having uncanny force behind his blows - but he never had any inkling he was special. That is until a few years ago, when he returned to the alleyway corner he and his sister had been hiding in for a few weeks. He found smears of blood and tufts of torn silver hair, but no sign of his sister. He flew into a rage: unnatural thunder accompanied his stride, and bursts of raw energy crackled with his words - he was too blinded by fury to wonder at himself, but terrified slummers quickly pointed him toward a slaver gang, and then went and called the watch. Sothal murdered several gangers, using the very air as his butcher's knife and block. The aftermath looked like what the guards could only imagine as hell. Scorched corpses and coagulated blood, running in rivulets down the walls or jutting up in gory stalagmites from the ground. In the end, it was for nothing. Sothal only found that his sister had been already put on a slaver ship with a false name of the Maybelle, and she was long gone. For months, the city went back to normal, and Sothal disappeared. Then, certain of the viler members of society started disappearing in rather gory way, which suggested rather unpleasant ends. The cycle accelerated over the course of a year and more but was largely ignored by the authorities, who were not (in practice) against some homegrown vigilante work.

Suddenly, the murders stopped. Rumors abounded that the drow, The Reaper of (City), had been killed, had found peace, or had even found a god. The truth was simpler: he had found a clue... and he was moving to act on it. Not knowing whether his sister was alive or dead, but knowing one simple fact, Sothal slipped into the wilderness of the night.

Sothal is haunted by the hideous crimes he committed in the city, but in his heart he feels that he was right - he was killing evil men to protect the innocent, and the life of his sibling he weighs as for more valuable than the lives of the dockside scum he butchered.

DM can provide the city and the fact.

More to come...

Tanthal appearance:
    Tanthal is a male Eladrin, about 5'11", in shape but skinny. He has pale blond hair and green eyes. His skin is tan, even weathered for an elf, by long days in the sun when he was in the military. His left side is covered in burn scars, starting at chest level and ending past his ankle, a result from a terrible fight which ended his military career. This robbed him of some of his natural dexterity, which used to be extraordinary and is now merely good. The only normally visible portion of these scars are on his hand, pocked skin lining his two middle fingers. His face has a haughty cast when he is serious, but it is normally broken by a thoughtful expression or a smile.

Tanthal background:
    Tanthal was born to a well-off pair of Eladrin living in a human city. He was treated cruelly by children his age (as children are likely to do to those who are different), and so he took to reading alone. His parents had quite an extensive library, and he discovered he had a passion for learning. History, politics, the arcane... he absorbed the information like a sponge. He was accepted on merit to the Arcanist's Academy (or similar), and received a scholarly education, as well as training in the arts, and instruction in how to bend the arcane threads of life to his will. Again, he had a natural aptitude for both the arts and the Art, and chose the way of the wizard over that of musician or barrister. Upon completion of his formal training, he felt that he had a debt to pay to his benefactors, so he joined the (regiment name) as the regimental mage.

Tanthal was part of several actions and formed fast friendships with the leadership of his section. As a mage, he reported to the captain and his lieutenants but was somewhat outside the normal rank structure, which allowed for easy fraternization with the officers. One dusky morning, his detachment caught up with what was thought to be a small organization of bandits who had been hounding the roadways through the forests to the west of the city. The truth, however, turned out to be much darker.

As they moved in to ambush the 'bandits', the ground broke apart beneath their feet, and foul abominations rose from the dirt. As men were torn limb from limb, a black robed figure with sunken eyes and broken, oozing skin strode into the melee. Tanthal desperately struck out with raining blows of force, but the creature regarded him, unfazed, and leered. Purple-black flames poured from its gaping mouth, drooling out onto the ground, and racing across the ground toward the broken survivors. Tanthal attempted to twist away, but the oily flames still clutched at his skin, and he descended into the maddening blackness of sickening pain.

Tanthal, alone out of over 100 men, was found as a survivor amidst a sea of corpses. Inexplicably, the cult had moved on immediately following the engagement, leaving Tanthal in a trancelike state, attempting to cope with his horrific injury.

To try to manage the pain, which was horrible and seemingly unending, and irreparable by clerical healing - a gift of the dark magic - he took up playing the lute, and instrument he had shown great aptitude for in scholam. His now clumsy left hand struggled to keep up with his previous skill, but he improved. He began with learning regimental ballads and laments, and then started obsessively studying songs of pain and comrades lost. There was no denying it, he was good. And he began, almost by accident, weaving his words with light magic. Patients from other wards started coming to hear him, and it was a sad day in the hospital when he was discharged.

As it stands now, his scars are as healed as they are going to get, and the pain is almost gone most of the time. Over time, Tanthal built up a sense of blame for himself not being faster or stronger and saving his comrades... so upon discharge, he set off on the road. In a sort of self-exile, he has decided he will travel and seek to atone for his failings. He is eager to please, and pained to play... but every evening whether he is alone or with company, he will break out his lute and play a sad song for his lost friends.

_____

The inn was empty, except for the innkeeper, his serving girl, a gruff man deep into the flagon, and the scarred elf-minstrel lounging by the hearth. The innkeeper was still and silent with a rag and mug in his hands. The girl was sitting on the floor, staring with red rimmed eyes, and the drunk was quietly sobbing. As the last ghostly notes died in the still air, the innkeeper took a sudden deep breath, and began cleaning the mug again. The girl slowly stood and whispered, "That was so sad... but so beautiful. I could listen to that all night, but I think my heart would break."
    The eladrin smiled gently, carefully packing away his lute. "It was no more beautiful than my inspiration, " he said, inclining his head to her, paying the meaningless compliment.
    It struck the right chord with her, as she almost gasped as she whispered, "What is your name?"
    He regarded her with a gentle expression, and finished wrapping up the instrument.
    He stood fully and sighed, "My name is Tanthal."
    She looked into his eyes and stepped closer to him. Dangerously close - she was attractive, in her rough, human way, but he was not here for that. Not anymore. He let his face fall into an impassive mien. He could smell her perfume, coarse in his nostrils. She moved her face closer to his, but he brought up his unscarred hand, and laid it gently across her lips, restraining her more with force of will than with his feather-light touch. He had to leave, to keep moving.
    "I am named Tanthal... but I am just a ghost."
    He took his hand away, and slipped quietly out the door. The inn was left silent and darkened.

Out in the night, a cloaked figure strode softly into the forest.

Writing up the backgrounds for these guys got me pysched for both of them, so really, I don't have a preference for either. Whichever one fits, man, I would be happy to play.

likethesearchengine on
    moulder_sage_magic.gif
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Myth-Weavers is working fine! Here's his sheet. I think. Hopefully.

Alan Tyne, Human Warlock of the Star Pact.

Background:
    Alan Tyne is known by many names in many places. He is the Duke of Astoril, the Grand Merchant Blain of Hod, the Archimandrate of West Ossolia, and the disinherited younger son of no fewer than three minor Princes. Some of those titles may even be genuine.

Tyne was, for most of his life, a low-level grifter and con artist. He subsisted on his wits and his charm, drifting from town to town relieving widows and greedy merchants of the burdens of wealth. He never really thought that he was doing any harm, really, but that was mostly because he never stuck around to deal with the recriminations, lawsuits and suicides that he left behind him.

A few months ago, Alan Tyne finally messed up. Too many people at a certain party knew him by too many different names, and once they compared notes they were all too willing to complain to the authorities.

As Alan sat in his cell he'd offered his soul to anyone -- anything -- that would listen. And something had. Alan Tyne had been drawn through the bars of his cell in a cloud of some nameless colour. The things he had seen, before being ignominiously dumped in that forest glade, had changed him. Gifts had been given. Promises had been... extracted. Payment to his new Lord would be required.

The old charm is still there, the old wit still sparkles, but now there is a desperate edge to it. Alan Tyne now follows the orders of a different Power.

Appearance:
    Alan is an undeniably handsome man. His black hair and blue eyes captivate people. His smile is genuine and his laughter infectious. Alan can fit in anywhere, from a coronation to a village church to a waterfront dive. It's only when you look a little deeper into his eyes that you sense something behind the easy, relaxed facade. Alan has seen too much.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    when you say only published books, can we assume that the stats for playing monsters (monster manual p276) can be used? or just assume standard characters?

also, warlord seems to be a hot class ITT.. ive got one cooking myself.. better roll up a defender to help my chances.

psolms on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    So, Myth-Weavers is down (or at least, my connection to it isn't working). In the interim, I'm going to post the other bits of my character submission, and I'll go back and fill in the details when MW starts working again. There probably won't be anything terribly surprising in the mechanical set-up of the character.

Alan Tyne, Human Warlock of the Star Pact.

Background:
    Alan Tyne is known by many names in many places. He is the Duke of Astoril, the Grand Merchant Blain of Hod, the Archimandrate of West Ossolia, and the disinherited younger son of no fewer than three minor Princes. Some of those titles may even be genuine.

Tyne was, for most of his life, a low-level grifter and con artist. He subsisted on his wits and his charm, drifting from town to town relieving widows and greedy merchants of the burdens of wealth. He never really thought that he was doing any harm, really, but that was mostly because he never stuck around to deal with the recriminations, lawsuits and suicides that he left behind him.

A few months ago, Alan Tyne finally messed up. Too many people at a certain party knew him by too many different names, and once they compared notes they were all too willing to complain to the authorities.

As Alan sat in his cell he'd offered his soul to anyone -- anything -- that would listen. And something had. Alan Tyne had been drawn through the bars of his cell in a cloud of some nameless colour. The things he had seen, before being ignominiously dumped in that forest glade, had changed him. Gifts had been given. Promises had been... extracted. Payment to his new Lord would be required.

The old charm is still there, the old wit still sparkles, but now there is a desperate edge to it. Alan Tyne now follows the orders of a different Power.

Oh how i love star pact
    winter_xolotl-see_forever.jpg

Ain Soph on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    psolms wrote: »
    when you say only published books, can we assume that the stats for playing monsters (monster manual p276) can be used? or just assume standard characters?

Yeah you can make a character using those racial stats.

manaleak34 on