As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

• SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've done all that. I actually was fighting the reptites, but the battery on my DS died and so I restarted again after it was charged and they didn't appear this time.

SirUltimos on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    make sure you're at the point where you think you are. You may have saved farther back than you thought.

NickTheNewbie on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh... are you sure you saved AFTER getting the hilt from frog, then talked to Melchior? Is it possible you saved right before one of those two events?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have the hilt in my inventory. But I'll try going to Melchior again and talking to him, maybe I just imagined having the hilt. Thanks guys.

SirUltimos on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thread! Rise from your grave!

I just got Chrono Trigger and I really like it so far, but it annoys me how far apart the save points are. Sure, on the DS I can just put it into standby, but it must have been a problem in the original SNES version.

I actually bought two copies, as it's my cousin's birthday next week.

Peewi on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

I just got Chrono Trigger and I really like it so far, but it annoys me how far apart the save points are. Sure, on the DS I can just put it into standby, but it must have been a problem in the original SNES version.

You can save anywhere outside (world map) in addition to the sparkly save points. I never had an issue with save point frequency on the SNES version.

Shens on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, the game goes so fast, save points are never really an issue.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited March 2009
    Shens wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

You can save anywhere outside (world map) in addition to the sparkly save points. I never had an issue with save point frequency on the SNES version.

I guess that explains the small number of save points I've encountered. When I got to the first save point, it said I had played for over an hour.

Peewi on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, once you arrive in 600 AD you can save on the world map, so there doesn't need to be a save point until you get to the first dungeon.

ASimPerson on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't mean to upset anyone or anything, but I was kind of disappointed by this. I was expecting some sort of interesting RPG with time travelling ideas, and I got a final fantasy game. I'm sure people who like final fantasy games like this, but I just found it so bland and uninteresting. I'm up to 20ish hours, but I'm only really playing it on the bus and toilet, simply because I don't want to play it when it would take up my real time. OK, I'm not the biggest fan of jRPGs, but I much prefer Lost Odyssey and Eterna Sonata to this.

AnteCantelope on
    edited March 2009
    20 hours? It should be almost over at that time.

Personally, what I liked about it was the tech battle system, and the fact that EVIL random battles were no more. I played Final Fantasy VI after CT and had a hard time getting into it because of the Random Battles.

Cameron_Talley on
    edited March 2009
    20 hours? It should be almost over at that time.

Personally, what I liked about it was the tech battle system, and the fact that EVIL random battles were no more. I played Final Fantasy VI after CT and had a hard time getting into it because of the Random Battles.

It does feel almost over. And the lack of random battles is nice.

However, the biggest problem I have with the game is the story. I was under the impression that it was meant to be a great story, something that people have remembered and loved their whole lives. I think it's kind of a bland, forgettable jRPG, and it's kind of disappointing.

This is the reason I'm never going to play FF7: I know that I'll just find a bland, if functional, plot over gameplay mechanics that annoy me. While I could handle a random jRPG with a boring plot, and get some enjoyment out of it, the fact that everyone says this is meant to be a great story means I'll never be satisfied by it.

AnteCantelope on
    edited March 2009
    I think it's kind of a bland, forgettable jRPG, and it's kind of disappointing.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

NickTheNewbie on
    edited March 2009
    I guess part of it has to do with if you like SciFi or not.

Time Travel stories are one of my favorite things ever, so Chrono Trigger already has that going for me.

Cameron_Talley on
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The story has always taken a backseat to the character arcs for me. Some of the characters are extremely compelling. I highly recommend exploring each of the character's side stories after Black Omen appears. You don't need a guide, just listen to the man at the end of time and try to puzzle out his hints, which are often quite obvious.

Much of the character's banter is light-weight, but you can see some meaty development scenes. Frog, Robo, and Lucca in particular flesh out.

CT has enough differences to clearly distinguish itself from the FF series. You may as well call all the Suikodens, Lunar games, and any other game that employs some iteration of the ATB system FF games.

Tylerbroor on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I never got a huge charge out of the plot.

What Chrono Trigger is for me is just an unbelievably competent RPG

This might sound like faint praise, but it's really not. It's just that fucking fun.

Elendil on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have 9 or so endings right now but I am distracted by Pokemon Platinum so I won't get the last few for awhile.

I absolutely love this game. Everything about it is just excellent. Currently my top 3 guys (Crono, Frog, Robo) are in the mid to high 80's and Lavos is absolute cake. I am still missing some of the top weapons such as Marle's and Robo's.

Once I get the last ending (I've already done the Dimensional Vortex ending) I will continue on to finish the sidequests (Lost Sanctum gives tons of money if you need it for some reason) and complete my game.

The first time I played through I had 24 to 28 hours clocked in.

SirToasty on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My team was Crono Frog and Ayla and the rewards in Lost Sanctum fit them perfectly so I fucking had to go through that shithole. Good thing I only have to do that once. Because once is far beyond enough.

Brian on
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Doing the new sidequests in between the "regular" ones makes them tolerable.
    About the story, I never found the plot itself fantastic, but the way its told, the characters, the details here and there, it's much better than most RPGs that are overtly complex. Final Fantasy this is not.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
    edited March 2009
    This might not be the best place to ask, but is Dragon Quest IV (and the other Dragon Quests, I guess) similar to other Squenix games? I said that Chrono Trigger was just another bland jRPG (no offense to you guys), is the gameplay and story-telling in Dragon Quest similar to this game, and/or to Final Fantasy?

AnteCantelope on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    God, fuck that scene where
    Yo travel back in Lucca's Past to rescue her mother
    I can't enter the password correctly - I mean, when "Please enter password" appears, do I enter it right away, do I press a to confirm the textbox first, am I too slow or what ?!

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited March 2009
    I believe you're supposed to press a once to confirm the textbox, then enter the password

Cameron_Talley on
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    On the SNES controller that shit is incredibly easy to botch. Most horrible consequence for failure ever.

Tylerbroor on
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I posted in the FF thread briefly about playing though this, but I figured I'd post here as well.

I just got through the DS version. I've been a Chrono Trigger fan since I was 9, so I managed to blow through the game rather quickly. Some quick notes:

-I'm kind of torn on the new translation. Some of it I like better, some of it leaves me cold. I suppose some of that is nostalgia, but still. I am incredibly happy that they kept Ozzie, Slash, Flea, Masa and Mune the same, rather than translating them to Vinegar, Soysauce, Mayonnaise, Gran and Leon, respectively. It makes it so it still gels with Cross, plus naming characters after rock stars is awesome.

-FUCK the Lost Sanctum. Holy shit, really, SE? What the fuck were you thinking? I mean, the concept is fine (The whole alternate Reptite dimension is a great concept, especially as a subtle wink to CC), but a shitton of fetch quests!? I mean, it could have been a nice little diversion if I didn't have to climb Mt. Emerald twenty-five fucking times! UGH.

-Contrary to the Lost Sanctum, I enjoyed the Dimensional Vortexes. Sure, the random five screens were laziness, especially when they could have just cut out the LS completely and focused on this, but it was neat. And contrary to what a lot of other people said, I loved
    Dalton just randomly appearing. I always wondered what happened to him after the Epoch battle. And tying him into the Porre invasion from Cross was genius.

-The extra boss and ending were nice little nods to CC. I know a lot of people hate that game (To which I say, do you have no soul!?), but I really appreciated it.
    I loved that the Dream Devourer was, basically, invincible. CC's final boss would have made a lot more sense at the time if this had been in the original game. Plus, the bit where they practically confirmed that Guile is Magus was a nice touch. If they ever port CC to the DS, I'd love to see them flesh that bit out more.

So, all in all, a solid port with, for the most part, some nice diversions and extras. I'm working my way back through to get all the endings, as well as getting 100% for both the Bestiary and Encyclopedia. I do hope that the game sold well enough for SE to consider porting CC as well. Or hell, to actually make Chrono Break. I doubt it, but I've been surprised before. :P

Lynx on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just finished the Ocean Palace. Rolling with Crono/Frog/Lucca.
    Or was. :| Toughest decision in the game on the way. Epic recruitment VS epic battle.

Somehow it feels like the difficulty was ramped up.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Or was. :| Toughest decision in the game on the way. Epic recruitment VS epic battle.

Less "toughest decision" than "easiest damn decision ever." :P

Elendil on
    edited April 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

Less "toughest decision" than "easiest damn decision ever." :P

Yeah right, that guy's a damn homo. My party has a strictly no bishounen policy

NickTheNewbie on
  • Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I always used to
    take magus
    but the battle is pretty epic when you bring frog and
    fight him mano-a mano

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Indica1 wrote: »
    I always used to
    take magus
    but the battle is pretty epic when you bring frog and
    fight him mano-a mano

There's no other option.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cool?

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
    edited April 2009
    Well, you can go without Frog, but that's almost senseless. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2009
    Beaten. So is the new content(namely the Lost Sanctum and what not) in NG+, or accessible before going after Lavos?

It still sucks to think Magus might never find Schala. :| He's the character I find most sympathetic.

Okay, and now I saw the animated version.

O_o
    How is Frog human with Magus alive? And what's up with the baby?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2009
    Beaten. So is the new content(namely the Lost Sanctum and what not) in NG+, or accessible before going after Lavos?

It still sucks to think Magus might never find Schala. :| He's the character I find most sympathetic.

Okay, and now I saw the animated version.

O_o
    How is Frog human with Magus alive? And what's up with the baby?

plz 2 b playing chrono cross.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited April 2009
    I will be replaying Chrono Cross after I finish the new content. Doing the Dimensional Vortex now.

And if someone doesn't have a CC thread in effect by then, I'll be sorely disappointed.
    (or I'll just do it myself)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2009
    I beat the game about a week ago and I'm habing some problems on my New Game+.
    I'm at The End of Time And I really want to beat Lavos now, but I just can't seem to do it with the characters available at this point.

I've noticed that when you reach the last form, Lucca will mention the young at Death Peak, even if you haven't been there at all.

Peewi on
    edited April 2009
    I will be replaying Chrono Cross after I finish the new content. Doing the Dimensional Vortex now.

And if someone doesn't have a CC thread in effect by then, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Wait, replaying?

well then to remind you
    the baby that lucca finds is
    schala. remember she gets raised in lucca's orphanage and turns out to be kid

NickTheNewbie on
    edited April 2009

Wait, replaying?

well then to remind you
    the baby that lucca finds is
    schala. remember she gets raised in lucca's orphanage and turns out to be kid

I don't remember that at all. I guess I really do need to replay it.

Also, cleared a few Dimensional Vortexs. I'm at the Lost Sanctum now, but from reading this thread, I'm almost terrified to keep going.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • servbotservbot Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just picked up this game the other day, can't set it down. My first time playing Chrono Trigger. where have i been?

servbot on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    LS is easy as pie compared with DVs and its extra ending. (Minor spoiler?)

I'm almost done collecting all the endings, after which I'll probably put it down unless I really want to finish the bestiary.

ASimPerson on
    edited April 2009
    Isn't the Lost Sanctum the one everyone's been calling the place of eternal suffering?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png