As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Alcohol Exchange Network

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited November 2007 in PAX Archive
Okay, for those of you who've been to PAX before, you know it's rife with crazy, drunken afterparties (see below). Unfortunately, Washington has insane taxes on everything, including alcohol. In addition, most of the Canadians have expressed their distaste for American beer. So here we have the Alcohol Exchange Network, wherein people can arrange to exchange local microbrews for other alcohols or just for cash monies. So post here if you want to participate, and in what way. Also, general drinking and after-party related discussions are more than welcome.

228428287_da5d9a78c5.jpg
228428283_b9f44dd494.jpg

Disclaimer: due to the legal drinking age in the U.S., this exchange is limited to those who will be 21 years of age or older at the time of PAX.
(Sorry, Trillian)

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh bite me.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Given how much we'll probably be drinking this PAX, I can't rule that out.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • cold wolfcold wolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was always too tired to find any afterparties last time, but I hope I can change that this year. Where do I start lookin for em?

And Safeway sells sixers of Amber Bock for $6, which is the best deal (great beer) I've ever seen around here. Haven't paid many attentions to cases though.

cold wolf on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You people and your silly beers.... real men drink whiskey on the rocks...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited February 2007
    Look for CCSTers and ask them where Moe is. He'll have flyers, I'm sure.

Edit: Or walk through the suites and find the one with the open doors.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can't stand beer myself, I prefer girly mixed drinks. But my brother in law on the other hand is a hardcore beer connoisseur. I'll try and prod him this way, cause I'm sure he'd like to trade around, try new stuff and show off his favorites.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can bring down some Canadian stuff if people want to reimburse for it, that's not a problem. If a small list is put together for how much of what and who wants it, I can do my best to fill the order.

b0wser on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Wait, do some of you Canadians dislike the major US beers like Bud and MGD or even the micros? I can understand the lagers but if you don't like any of the many micros we have on tap in this city then you're fucked in the heads.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited February 2007
    According to customs, you may bring one liter (33.8 fl oz.) of alcohol into the U.S. Duty Free. Beyond that, you will have to pay a tariff.

Also, be sure to declare it when you enter, as fines will result if you do not.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited February 2007
    I haven't had any of the micros, but I've heard there's a bunch of good ones to be had. I think the problem Canadians have is with the major labels, they've got a lower standard content than ours, so I think we notice them to be weaker or something.

I'm personally interested in some Amstel Light myself, I've not been able to find it up here.

b0wser on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    We need to introduce these guys to Mac&Jack's, stat. I should get a pony keg or some growlers or something.

Doc on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can't stand beer myself, I prefer girly mixed drinks. But my brother in law on the other hand is a hardcore beer connoisseur. I'll try and prod him this way, cause I'm sure he'd like to trade around, try new stuff and show off his favorites.

Girly drinks ftw.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Girly Drinks or liquor.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited February 2007
    I have no argument here, they work so much better that I really don't mind the 'girly drink' label.

b0wser on
    edited February 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

Girly drinks ftw.

Bring me some blue curacao and some grenadine and you can have all the delicious girly mixed drinks you want.

Trillian on

• oogmaroogmar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Assuming that I'm coming up with my brother who is over 21...

I'm already bringing up AT LEAST a sixer (more likely two or three) of Black Butte for all curious parties who have listened to me drool about it endlessly.

(At least) a 5th of Bailey's for bombing runs.

And I'm bribing some Canadian peeps for the good Fireball since the American knockoff blows.

I am in Portland, land of the microbrew, so anybody who wants to exchange cash monies for beer on arrival is more than welcome to PM or post.

Then I'll talk to my brother, since I can't legally purchase any of it.

Any 'mericans or Canadians who want to make witchdoctors (Tattoo and Dr. Pepper) happen can take part in the bombing runs for free. I'm not paying for Tattoo, though. Dr. Pepper, maybe.

After-party stuff... I have to wait and figure out what the hell my Enforcing schedule is so I am functional and helpful while on shift.

oogmar on
    Rane, you lazy bastard, you can shut the hell up.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    edited February 2007
    Fireball?

I mean I'll bring you some but you're crazy.

That stuff tastes like flaming death all the way down.

Trillian on

• oogmaroogmar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Trillian wrote: »
    Fireball?

I mean I'll bring you some but you're crazy.

That stuff tastes like flaming death all the way down.

My flask needs love, okay?

I'd rather love Fireball than Jameson's. Or pretty much anything else.

Is it weird that I hate vodka on the whole but love whiskey?

oogmar on
    Rane, you lazy bastard, you can shut the hell up.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    nah

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Weaver and Munkus had some 100 proof vodka, and the dudes in zerozero's room (I think?) had some kinda 120 proof whiskey. Both were glorious, so i'll locate some of my own to satiate hard needs. :D

Polago on
    edited February 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    We need to introduce these guys to Mac&Jack's, stat. I should get a pony keg or some growlers or something.

Have you ever had Manny's Pale Ale by Georgetown Brewing? It's become a very popular local brew and they're the "official" beer of my hashing group so I can probably arrange a keg at a discout though someone else would need to pick it/them up since I don't have a vehicle. They also recently introduced Rocket Red which I found a very enjoyable (duh) red ale.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited February 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

Girly drinks ftw.

My aversion to girly drinks has nothing to do with machismo and everything to do with the experience that sweet drinks will fuck me up in a bad way instead of just getting me drunk and result in a much worse hangover. This seems to be common among people I know but of course everyone's body chemistry is different so maybe your body reacts differently to the sugar. So beer or non-sweetened cocktails for me.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Captain Morgan's Original Spiced Rum. Now there's a beverage.
    Druhim wrote: »
    Wait, do some of you Canadians dislike the major US beers like Bud and MGD or even the micros? I can understand the lagers but if you don't like any of the many micros we have on tap in this city then you're fucked in the heads.
    The micros and MGD are somewhat tolerable. I would rather drink Drano than Budweiser.

On a side note, does anyone know what is the worst thing that can happen to me if I try to bring booze over the border at the age of 19?

Azio on
    edited February 2007
    Yeah. If you declare it, it gets confiscated.

If you don't declare it, it gets confiscated and you get fined upwards of five hundred dollars, or arrested.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    Which is why we have that happy little disclaimer up top. If you're 19 and want to bring alcohol across the border, you'd better have a 21 year old with you.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    The micros and MGD are somewhat tolerable. I would rather drink Drano than Budweiser.

On a side note, does anyone know what is the worst thing that can happen to me if I try to bring booze over the border at the age of 19?

Ok, if you're including micros then I have to say this is a pretty fucking ignorant assertion. There's a vast range of microbrews available in this area and I'm skeptical that you've actually tasted most of them which would be the only way you could really express any opinion on the matter. If you're not inclined to try them, fine but just point out that you haven't and can't really express an opinion on the matter. I wouldn't pretend that I can express an opinion on Canadian beer outside of the very few that I've tried.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited February 2007

I adore rum of most any kind, but that my good sir is a king among them. I most likely will have a bottle with me for the weekend.

I just Pray my friends don't bring everclear as they are prone to doing.... that stuff is eeeeevil.

BrokenAngel on
    edited February 2007

I adore rum of most any kind, but that my good sir is a king among them. I most likely will have a bottle with me for the weekend.

I just Pray my friends don't bring everclear as they are prone to doing.... that stuff is eeeeevil.

The NESkimos had everclear last year. I didn't drink any, but there was some tore-up getting going on.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »

The NESkimos had everclear last year. I didn't drink any, but there was some tore-up getting going on.

Yeah I refuse to drink the stuff. Not only does it mess me up waaaay too fast, but has the equivalent effect of spanish fly. And I don't feel like jumping Recruit in the middle of a room party. Things like that tend to be akward the next day. >.>

BrokenAngel on
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, no sex during the Sealab Party, people (I'm looking at you, Trillian). I don't just mean at Sealab, I mean, no sex while the party is going on, otherwise you won't be there. You can have sex after Sealab (that is providing there's enough of a break between the party and when PAX opens the next morning).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    Yeah, no sex during the Sealab Party, people (I'm looking at you, Trillian). I don't just mean at Sealab, I mean, no sex while the party is going on, otherwise you won't be there. You can have sex after Sealab (that is providing there's enough of a break between the party and when PAX opens the next morning).

D:

Trillian on

edited February 2007

Thats why I have my own room. :winky:

BrokenAngel on
    edited February 2007
    Where is Recruit?? I never see him online anymore :(

Is he still alive or what??

Trillian on

edited February 2007
    Trillian wrote: »
    Where is Recruit?? I never see him online anymore :(

Is he still alive or what??

Yep, he's very much alive, he just has been on a kind of internet break lately. Plus we've had a bunch going on. We got engaged, went to a local con, had a ton of roommate troubles ect. Not to mention that one akward thing...

But yes, I'll poke at him though and try and prod him back over here to the dark side.

BrokenAngel on
    edited February 2007

I like how the tore-up had already arrived, then Dr. Wily looks in a drawer with a "Oh, look what we have here!" as he pulled the Everclear out. That soldier from Kansas took the first shot, and he did it straight. I don't remember seeing him much through the later hours.

b0wser on
    edited February 2007
    The last shot of that bottle was taken after Wily read off the "Do Not Drink" label on the bottle.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    The last shot of that bottle was taken after Wily read off the "Do Not Drink" label on the bottle.

That label was great, telling us not to drink it without diluting it with mix. It burned *with* juice, I don't want to know what it was like without. It did well, even for only being maybe a 1/4 of a bottle left.

b0wser on
  • cold wolfcold wolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Juice? Too weak, as you already found out. Soda works nicely though. Or a smoothie.

Someone make a thread about where parties are happenin this year. I can start fire just fine, but not threads.

cold wolf on
    edited February 2007
    How 'bout Bawls as a dilution agent?

Also, my store quit carrying Bawls in the blue bottles, and started carrying it in the larger "Generic Energy Drink X" cans. I hope we can get bottles again this year, as that's a good portion of Bawls' appeal. :(

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Big GuyBig Guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ctishman, where can you get bawls in Eugene? i've never actively gone looking for it, but have also never seen it around.

Big Guy on
    Survivor of PAX '06 (BALL!), PAX '07 (Don't be a Dick), PAX '08 (Bad Horse), PAX '09 (H1Nerd1), PAX '10
This discussion has been closed.