As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Desktop I made (NSFW) H-scroll

RyeRye Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Artist's Corner
Critique if you want. I was just bored and my new laptop didn't have a desktop, so I made one for myself. Since I'm going to have to look at this a lot, I used some references, so I hope it doesn't look too terrible.

(A friend wanted a copy and asked me to sign it -_-. Apologies if it looks arrogant)
desktop2.jpg

1600x1024
http://www.dynamit.us/game/desktop.jpg

Rye on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    not arrogant at all, really.

Places you've shaded/highlighted on the body generally seem to be good, but proportion is the main thing that needs work in this piece, I think. Body seems a little "squished" vertically, the length of the torso, size of the head and width of the arms are the main things that jump out at me. The jawline seems too acute of an angle, and/or proceeding too far back on the head.

I like how you did the hair, though.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'll have to go back into it later; I've been looking at it too long to see the flaws at this point.

My original concept for the hair was so much more confusing and crappy looking... Instead I just painted a few splotches and refined from there till i had what I have now.

Thanks for the comment, and I'll probably have an update in the near future.

Rye on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The only thing I can comment on is that the face looks really defined while the body starts to meld in with the background a bit too much.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    i dunno how to say this without sounding like I'm unwilling to take the criticism, but that was an intentional effect.

The way the hair is more defined at the top and becomes less defined at the bottom. Maybe I didn't pull it off well if it seems unintentional.

Again, thanks for te comment :)

Rye on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    (Sorry for the double post)

I made an update to the pic:

desktop3.jpg

Just in case you can't tell, I adjusted the arms, general boy size, jawline acuteness, sharpness of details etc.

changes.jpg

Thanks a lot for the critiques, people. I really couldn't notice these things whenI was working. Now that I see my changes, the original looks SO much more distorted :)

Rye on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Much better.

Melding into the background is fine, just make sure it's not giving off a "blotched" effect. Fortunately, you smoothed this problem out in this recent update, so as long as you figured it out i'm a happy camper.

Godfather on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    Her head still looks huge to me.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Are you sure it's not the hair that's making it look big? Your eye follows the arc of the hair, so it looks like her cranium extends further.

If you're convinced the head is ACTUALLY too large, I'll probably shrink it a bit.

Rye on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    I think it's more the width of the shoulders that make me think the head is too large. Could just be the pose but it seems a bit too large to me. I don't think it's a show stopper or anything. It's your desktop, mate. It could just be my point of view and I might be wrong. I probably am wrong. It's worth looking into for your own sake though. I'm certainly not going to press the issue.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Although it's too late to many any drastic alterations, I thought it would be neat if the woman silhouette was actually smoke coming from a cigarette or something. Get what i'm saying here?

I'm not very good at explaining ideas you see.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It's my desktop, but I also want to make it a nice piece of art. I can print it out some time and not be ashamed if I work out all the kinks.

Interesting idea godfather. It is a little late tho. Plus, I'm not into smoking. I likes the women, but not so much the smoking.

I'm pretty satisfied with it as is for now. I'll probably get bored and make a new one in a few months. It keeps me doing art for art's sake and not just for class.

Rye on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Grifter wrote: »
    I think it's more the width of the shoulders that make me think the head is too large. Could just be the pose but it seems a bit too large to me. I don't think it's a show stopper or anything. It's your desktop, mate. It could just be my point of view and I might be wrong. I probably am wrong. It's worth looking into for your own sake though. I'm certainly not going to press the issue.

Naw, you're right. The length of the shoulders is making the head look EXTRA big. Really, the head is just too big, but the shoulders exaggerate it. Also, the neck is either too thick or coming from her chin too early. I'm not sure, but something about it doesn't feel right.

Good drawing overall though. I like it.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Ah, I don't smoke either.

I was just watching Kill Bill Vol. 2 on TV and there was a scene with some black dude puffin' some out with some really snazzy effects.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Is this better? ( new | old )

changes2.jpg

and the piece as a whole:

desktop4.jpg

Rye on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yes. The spacing from the nose to mouth to chin seems a bit tight, but this works much better than the old pic. I like how you're willing to fix things, some other people just go "ah... I like it that way, leave me alone!" and don't fix things.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The face structure was heavily referenced from an actual profile. That doesn't mean it's right though :)

I think, now that I look at it, the top lip is much too large and not protruding enough. It's very slight, but it causes a domino effect on the other features. I'll look into it soon... gotta do more school art first. I just think it's funny that the abstract background stuff hasn't gotten any crits because there's a figure in the foreground.

Rye on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Rye wrote: »
    The face structure was heavily referenced from an actual profile. That doesn't mean it's right though :)

I think, now that I look at it, the top lip is much too large and not protruding enough. It's very slight, but it causes a domino effect on the other features. I'll look into it soon... gotta do more school art first. I just think it's funny that the abstract background stuff hasn't gotten any crits because there's a figure in the foreground.

Well, the figure is offset to the right, but it still dominates the whole scene by being the lightest and in the foreground. With a human figure that dominates that much, it's hard to notice the background. Besides... When there is something wrong with an art piece, it usually gets the viewer's attention first.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I like the figure's body, but the facial anatomy ruins it for me. It looks almost skeletal, and the neck is really thin. The angles seem sharp, and the chin juts out unpleasantly. I think from the eyes down the face is protruding too much. It depends on what age you intended her to be, because right now with the nose and mouth area she looks old.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    yup. I think I'll just redo the face entirely now. The size is good, but I need to work on the shaping. The way I shaded it makes her look sharper, which is contrasting to the smooth body.

Rye on