As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Metal Gear Raiden? See Page 85 (Previously the MGS4 Thread)

• AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It offers nothing on the subject. Not a thing. Oooh it's a bit sad how those soldiers got fucked over and that girl I knew for 10 seconds died TIME TO START AN ETERNAL WAR RAAAR EVERYONE MUST DIE UNLESS THEY ARE A SOLDIER SOLDIERS ARE GREAT WAIT EXCEPT THAT GUY KILL THAT GUY.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Boss.

Boss died.

Thats what set him off. PO just gave him funds.

DarkWarrior on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I still want remakes of MG and MG2. They are bloody impossible to enjoy in their current forms, but have great stories. Also, a bit more back story on how Big Boss became a lead paint chewing crazy man would be nice.

Get out of my head!
    Kojima has said on several occasions he really has no desire at all remake any of the MSX games personally.

And while this whole possibility of a MG Raiden sounds fine and dandy, I'd still really like (much like you) more on Big Boss.

Like a game that carries between MPO and MG1.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ShimSham wrote: »
    I still want remakes of MG and MG2. They are bloody impossible to enjoy in their current forms, but have great stories. Also, a bit more back story on how Big Boss became a lead paint chewing crazy man would be nice.

Get out of my head!
    Kojima has said on several occasions he really has no desire at all remake any of the MSX games personally.

And while this whole possibility of a MG Raiden sounds fine and dandy, I'd still really like (much like you) more on Big Boss.

Fuck you I want all the games remade in order with a rewritten storyline that makes sense with updated gameplay to match the modern gamer's sensibilities.

Fuck.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Metal gear without its nonsensical story line is just some boring western show that takes itself too seriously.

If you can't laugh with disbelief at a plot point it's not metal gear solid.

Been that way since mgs1.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fuck you I want all the games remade with nanos

Fuck.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fuck you I want all the games remade with nanos

Fuck.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Get out of my head!

Fuck you I want all the games remade in order with a rewritten storyline that makes sense with updated gameplay to match the modern gamer's sensibilities.

Fuck.

The story makes complete sense. At least with regards to the main series, I don't know what any of the portable shit did to the story.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, I have an issue.

I've played all the MGS games I have available to me(which is all but MGS4). I love 'em, but I've played 'em to death, and I need something new in the genre.

The thing is, most stealth games make you...Well, fucking suck at combat, whereas MGS at least lets 'fuck it, time to start a slaughter' be an option. This is one of the things I like about the MGS games.

So are there any decent clones out there that allow a more 'active' style of play than what many games in the genre(read: Splinter Cell) offer?

yalborap on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Assassin's Creed is kind of a stealth game...

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Kill him! He doesn't even have a swor-AGH MY EYE"

"Wtf how did he do that?" *cowers* ARGGGGHHH

"Oh god he's killing us with his bare hands I'm out of here!" *runs* "No stay away don't follow me-AAARRGGGHHH!!"

But yeah it can be a stealth game up until you kill someone.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's not like it takes a whole lot of effort to get away from guards even after killing someone.

-Loki- on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Assassin's Creed does look fun, at least. I'll give it a rent.

There anything else out there? Particularly with more modern/futuristic settings?

And as these things always go for me, bonus points for weapon customization and choices.

Oh, and is Portable Ops's online still running, or is it just the PS3 one that lives on?

yalborap on
    edited March 2009
    "After him! He went around that corner!"

"There's nothing here but a giant haystack that would easily fit a man sir!"

"Blast he must have gotten away!"

"Well, he could be in the haystack sir! Shall I poke it?"

"Don't be a damned fool man! Get back to your post!"

Mind you I loved the game.

Morninglord on
  • FaygoFaygo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would really enjoy a prequel where you get to be The Boss and learn more of her story and that of the old philosphers.

Faygo on
    Pokemon friend code- 3222 2057 7313
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2009/3/27/gdc-2009-day-2.html

You should all be reading Sirlin's blog anyway!

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited March 2009
    Learning about the Boss is one thing, evenbeing the one to train Big Boss would be another, but everything that can be known about the Patriots/Philosophers is known at this point apart from direct individual involvement in some cases, theres nothing interesting left there.

DarkWarrior on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2009/3/27/gdc-2009-day-2.html

You should all be reading Sirlin's blog anyway!

That was a great read, thanks for sharing.

Igort on
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Faygo wrote: »
    I would really enjoy a prequel where you get to be The Boss and learn more of her story and that of the old philosphers.

Have The Boss and the guys from her Cobra unit killing Nazis in WWII

That would actually be pretty fun :D

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Honestly I'm going to resent Kojima forever for MGS4. He now feels he has to make another game because he hasn't made his ultimate game but there is no way in hell to bring back Solid, not after all the stuff he was put through at the end of the game.

So now we're stuck with Raiden.

DarkWarrior on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Who needs Solid when you got Big Boss?

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Honestly I'm going to resent Kojima forever for MGS4. He now feels he has to make another game because he hasn't made his ultimate game but there is no way in hell to bring back Solid, not after all the stuff he was put through at the end of the game.

So now we're stuck with Raiden.

Is Kojima really on this project though? I thought this time he was really (like, seriously this time) only being a producer on the next MGS. He seems to trust his team to do a good job this time and he has said he was going to work on something else, too. So it's not that he feels he has to make another MGS. Konami feels they have to... because, well... it makes the money.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can't we just leave the series be? Why can't they just make a spiritual successor with a new plot? Let it die.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited March 2009
    Silence Nick. If Snake is involved it can go on for as long as it likes. Without Snake I agree with you but still, be quiet.

DarkWarrior on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not really sure what else they could do in terms of storyline either. Isn't world conflict over now that nanos were shut down? Or am I confused and not quite understand the ending of MGS4?

I guess they could have a terrorist group try and claim power or something. I'm not sure, I have the idea in my head but I can't communicate it very effectively. Maybe I need to refresh my memory.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    He should've died god damn it. My fiancee and I were both very upset when we discovered that we had both cried for NO REASON.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited March 2009
    No, no he shouldn't. I couldn't think of a worse ending.

DarkWarrior on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No, no he shouldn't. I couldn't think of a worse ending.

I don't know,
    Deus ex machina Big Boss! Oh lol you're actually not dying by the way!

Was a pretty fucking cheap way out. They spend the whole fucking game building up to that point, and then just turn it around because Kojima doesn't have any balls? Fucking stupid. So instead of Snake dying honorably to save the world from a super plague, he gets to live out the rest of his life hacking up his lungs and moving at approximately 1/16th of a mile per hour. With Otacon. Yeah that sure sounds great, huh.

Don't get me wrong, I thought MGS4 was badass, but the ending was one of the worst things I've ever had to sit through. I seriously wanted to punch Kojima in the nutsack. It was like that retarded fanfiction-esque epilogue at the end of the last Harry Potter book.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I didn't like the ending of MGS very much. I totally agree with Reznik.
    I actually loved the ending up until the fake credits. It should have ended there. Its too bad there wasn't more than one ending like in MGS 1 if you fail the torture or whatever. Then people could just pretned the ending they liked was the real one.

But yeah if there is another Metal Gear game I want it to take place during The Boss's time or right before or after Portable Ops.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MH79 wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what else they could do in terms of storyline either. Isn't world conflict over now that nanos were shut down? Or am I confused and not quite understand the ending of MGS4?

I guess they could have a terrorist group try and claim power or something. I'm not sure, I have the idea in my head but I can't communicate it very effectively. Maybe I need to refresh my memory.

World conflict isn't shut down.

Conflict controlled by the nanos and the "war economy" is, however.

Now? Any nutbag with a gun can shoot anyone else.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Silence Nick. If Snake is involved it can go on for as long as it likes. Without Snake I agree with you but still, be quiet.

Yes.

Because the series couldn't go on without the character who only starred in half the games.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited March 2009
    Hahaha
    Dying is the cowards way out.

He knew it.

Morninglord on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Metal Gear Solid 2 was awesome. Don't care much about the others though. Played one on the nes and it was alright.

RichardTauber on
    edited March 2009
    Ending of MGS4
    After everything Snake went through he deserved peace. He was retired remember and was dragged back into the whole thing in MGS1, he suffered, he sacrificed for a world that barely knows he exists. He isn't getting paid or anything but he still dragged himself through that corridor.

Snake shooting himself is taking the easy way out and most importantly it isnt who he is. It shows that underneath it all, after all his bravado and acceptance of death, he was afraid to die, he wants the chance to live a life free of conflict for a little bit at least and Big Boss tells him to go do this.

And from MGS1 its been implied Big Boss wasn't really dead.

And he is dying. Just marginally slower.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2009
    Richard you aren't supposed to like MGS2. What are you trying to pull here.

Morninglord on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MGS2 was the best stealth action the series offered without getting into stupid (i.e. camo index) gameplay systems. Easily my favorite game of the series.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited March 2009
    UV you aren't supposed to take me seriously. What are you trying to pull here?

(I liked camo, but, well, I mean, Raiden. <3)

MGS 1 is still my favourite.

Morninglord on
    edited March 2009
    MGS1 had the best villains by far, none of hte other games matched up to Foxhound.

DarkWarrior on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Richard you aren't supposed to like MGS2. What are you trying to pull here.

Well, I thought it was really interesting, but I always was a sucker for pretentious, high held, brows.

RichardTauber on
    edited March 2009
    I just thought it had the best pacing.

I liked Lady Fortune, all the mgs3 bosses, most of the bosses in mgs4.

I liked Sniper Wolf, but The End was the best goddam sniper fight ever.

Morninglord on