As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 3-25-09: The Hat Trick

• HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh man. I loved the Avengers meeting in NA SO MUCH.
    The coma girl conversation was hilarious, especially with how PISSED Luke got.

Also, Logan: "I enjoyed that. Good meeting."

Also, I loved the little touch that Peter never put down his Chinese food - just webbed it to the wall real quick between panels. :lol:

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My MOTW was X-Men: Sword of the Buttocks.

Haha, psyche.

desc on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This week's Amazing Spider-Man was actually pretty good, though I wish it hadn't just been a one-shot since we could have used more of a recap of who the Spot is (I only know him from the cartoon and Modok's 11).

Robos A Go Go on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just finished this week's JLA. It was actually pretty good. I thought McDuffie did a good job creating a lot of personal tension.

He's got shit to work with right now, but this issue was pretty good on a personal level. Really sucks to be writing JLA right now with Superman on New Krypton, Batman "dead" and Martian Manhunter dead. Not to mention Vixen is lame and so is GeoForce (if he's even still on the team).

Lucascraft on
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I just finished this week's JLA. It was actually pretty good. I thought McDuffie did a good job creating a lot of personal tension.

He's got shit to work with right now, but this issue was pretty good on a personal level. Really sucks to be writing JLA right now with Superman on New Krypton, Batman "dead" and Martian Manhunter dead. Not to mention Vixen is lame and so is GeoForce (if he's even still on the team).

I think GeoForce is in the Outsiders now, or at least he was when I was still getting it.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Amazing Spider-Man #589:
    spotpunch3.jpg

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also Wonder Woman is dealing with Themyscira. So the pool of villains is kinda lame. especially with Vixen on the team.

Fencingsax on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Amazing Spider-Man #589:
    spotpunch3.jpg

Ha! He fucking deserved for that to happen. I hate 616 Spider-Man so much these days...

TexiKen on
    edited March 2009
    Son-of-an-Osborn!

desc on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hate 616 Spider-Man so much these days...
    Loving him these days myself, actually.

Couldn't stand the JMS era and I've never been a fan of Ultimate Spider-Man but the book has been alot of fun since the creative shift.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited March 2009
    Amazing Spider-Man #502 is one of the best comics ever. Give it a read.

Oh, did anyone get the Incredibles comic this week? Was it worth a read?

That's the only book from Boom! that I actually care to try out.

TexiKen on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Speaking of worth a read. Dark Reign: Elektra? I thought it looked good, but I didn't really have enough cash on me for it. Was it good?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I passed on Amazing Spider-Man this week, after the rather weak ending to 'Character Assassination'. I'll show Marvel by only buying six books this week, instead of seven.

For some reason, after reading New Avengers, I kept wondering how Pete would look at Jessica if she knew she took it in the backdoor. Once. A few years ago.

KidDork on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    ? Wtf?

Explain, in detail.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Speaking of worth a read. Dark Reign: Elektra? I thought it looked good, but I didn't really have enough cash on me for it. Was it good?

It was alright. I picked it up on a whim, read it twice last night, and barely remember any of it. I neither regret buying it nor am I actively glad I did.

Elektra is trapped by HAMMER and then Norman wants to know why the skrulls kidnapped her and messed with her. That's about it.

desc on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Amazing Spider-Man #589:
    spotpunch3.jpg

Oh my god that's awesome.

Crimsondude on
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ? Wtf?

Explain, in detail.

This was way back in the ALIAS book, the one where Jessica was a P.I. She and Luke Cage got it on, and Luke gave it to her in the poop shoot. And the word 'pooper' is used in New Avengers #27, so that proves something or other.

KidDork on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Reminds me I need to pick up the ALIAS Ultimate collection in May. First 15 issues I think.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Unbreakable skin penis in pooper aaaaaaaahhhhhhh noooooooooooooooo

Weaver on
    edited March 2009
    KidDork wrote: »
    ? Wtf?

Explain, in detail.

This was way back in the ALIAS book, the one where Jessica was a P.I. She and Luke Cage got it on, and Luke gave it to her in the poop shoot. And the word 'pooper' is used in New Avengers #27, so that proves something or other.

...And this was actually said in the comic? Damn parker, you backed the wrong horse.

DarkWarrior on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anti moment of the weak:

X-infernus#4

NightCrawler addressed himself being the son of a demon. :(

shit i was hoping theyd find a sneaky way to retcon the shit out of that.
    I pray for the writer who can come along with the cojones to say it never happened.

delphinus on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    Unbreakable skin penis in pooper aaaaaaaahhhhhhh noooooooooooooooo

Unbreakable pooper too, though, and by all accounts the pooper won that round.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait, I've lost the thread. Are we talking about Ultimate Jessica Drew getting reamed by Luke Cage? Cause I can see why that might give Peter a few brain cramps.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In the first issue of Alias, Jessica Jones' introduction to the Marvel Universe, she gets drunk with Luke Cage and they have sex.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited March 2009
    I thought that was the non-anal one though, and just an "Hey we're a MAX comic we're so h4rdc0r3!". Or maybe it was and that was how she got pregnant. Hey, it's magic, they don't have to explain it! *honk honk*

TexiKen on
    edited March 2009
    Oh shit, Jack of Fables #32 was the MOTW, no question. I knew I put it at the end for a reason this week.

Because, as you see in these scans:

Jack is revealed to be a half-literal, the son of his literal mother, Prose, and Prince Charming. Hijinks ensue:

jof32a.jpg

jof32b.jpg

Ha!

TexiKen on
    edited March 2009
    Hm. Kingbreaker.
    What's the significance of the Phoenix leaving Rachel and Korvus?

Faynor on
    edited March 2009
    That is the funniest thing I've ever read.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2009
    Hm. Kingbreaker.

Remember what I theorized in the Marvel previews?

it will inhabit Maddie back on earth

TexiKen on
    edited March 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hm. Kingbreaker.

Remember what I theorized in the Marvel previews?

it will inhabit Maddie back on earth

Ah, yes. I'm so forgetful. When she said "Mom?" I got hopeful again. Anyways.

After finishing my books, my moment of the week is positively Captain America. It's always such a good book. I was kind of hoping for some mojo and Hammond would be back, but I suppose there's enough of that these days anyways.

Anti-Moment of the Week?
    Ms. Marvel. Still confusing on how this lines up with New Avengers. Ugh. So stupid. I don't even see what the point of her dying is. And her death was kind of dumb, even. OH MY GOD, FIRE, BURNING SO HOT, FIRE FIRE. Fireworks above the city, kaboom, dead. Ugh.

Faynor on
    edited March 2009
    Well she isn't dead. Probably turned into energy or something.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2009
    Are you sure? She exploded in a fiery ball of fire.

Faynor on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are you sure? She exploded in a fiery ball of fire.
    Like that's ever stopped anyone. She absorbs energy as her main power. She was overloaded with energy and exploded. She'll probably just come back as Binary or we'll find out she faked her death to get close to/expose Norman with that information from Essential.

KVW on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So does that mean the next New Avengers will be them having a meeting and talking about the news? It seems to be a theme.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Actually, looks like next issue will be a magic throwdown, just like Dark Avengers and Mighty Avengers had. You wanna talk about a theme, how about the first Avengers adventures after the 3-book split all having to do with magic?

EDIT: By the way, I'm calling it now. Norman Osborn as Sorceror Supreme.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh shit, Jack of Fables #32 was the MOTW, no question. I knew I put it at the end for a reason this week.

Jack is revealed to be a half-literal, the son of his literal mother, Prose, and Prince Charming. Hijinks ensue:

jof32a.jpg

jof32b.jpg

Ha!
    Oh, yes.

Wildcat on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

jof32a.jpg

jof32b.jpg

Ha!

Can i just say that i really really disliked how the page sisters were drawn in that issue, everybody else looked right, but those three just look really really twisted
    Slott's made it his mission to rehabilitate Pym as a character, hasn't he?

I will fight him every step of the way.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Re Jack: what does incest even mean to Fables/Literals? I mean, they don't really have genetic structure, etc. If they weren't raised as family members, what actually distinguishes them from non-family?

As an aside,
    I like the idea of Charming as Jack's father, since the 'family' talent for being able to trick people in the way they both do is a nice conceit

mattharvest on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, I really need to read Jack of Fables.

I only started reading the regular Fables a few months ago and caught up with trades just last month.

My book of the week was Madame Xanadu again. No real specific MofW in it, but it's probably my favorite book I'm buying in singles right now. Of Course this means it'll inevitably get canceled soon.

Zaylenz on
    edited March 2009
    So I grabbed Spider-man per Texiken's suggestion, and it had a lot of good spider-man one liners. I liked his little pause while taking pictures, "Wait. Is this racist?"

But my motw goes to New Avengers. I am a sucker for Bendis writing Spider-Man and the Avengers interacting. Also for superheroes sitting around eating chinese food. Who needs an orbital super hangout with space shuttles and shit? Call for some takeout, talk about who is team lead, take care of some business. Boom, done. <3

desc on