As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camera Preview Lag

AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
Hey everybody! I've had a Canon Powershot A430 for a long time, and it's always had a slight problem. The in-built LCD has a tendency to start lagging a bit. By which I mean that the preview image, which is going at least 30fps normally, suddenly slows down to about 10-15 fps and gets blurry. It seems to do this whenever I aim it at a spot with poor lighting.

The only time it doesn't happen at all is when I go into the shot customization menu and turn the exposure all the way down. But that only works for as long as I stay in that exposure setting menu, it starts again once I switch to a different menu option or leave the menu. This wasn't an issue for me until recently, when I bought a pico projector and started using the video out feature of the camera, where the exact same problem persists.

Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? Have any suggestions? Help?

Also, I'm a total camera newbie, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm just missing something ridiculously simple.

Atheraal on

• Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I might be wrong but i always assumed that in low light the camera has to increase the exposure times to get a decent image, so the fps of the preview will slow down?

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okay, so I guess what I need is a way to force the exposure level to stay down. How would I go about doing that? The camera's long since out of warranty, so hacking the firmware is an option if need be. I've never done that before though, so hopefully some kind soul will give me a quicker fix. :)

Atheraal on
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cant help you there im afraid, i dont even own a camera anymore nowadays :(

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The A430 is one of the few powershots without CHDK support, unfortunately. What you are describing is a feature, not a bug. The only solution I can think of is switching it into movie mode, where the exposure time is not allowed to drop below 1/30th of a second. Does it still do video out in movie mode? Do you need to be able to take photos while projecting?

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ah! You rock! I had tried video capture mode before and noticed no difference, but there actually was a little.. then I tried turning the capture res down to 320x240 from 640x480 and it solved it completely! In all the modes! I KNEW it was going to be something ridiculously simple. Thanks for your help, guys. Mucho appreciado.

edit: ah, wait, it's just daytime now and thus less dim. Picture modes are still gimpy, but hey, movie mode works flawlessly now!

e2: oh my dog, color swap plus feedback loop.. :O

Atheraal on