As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

new to DnD

FlamingtwigzFlamingtwigz Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Critical Failures
Okay so I'm new to DnD and i just bought a players handbook. What other books do you need and i know you need a monster manual but i heard you can download it offline. Also do you just make up your character alone or do you do it in front of people so people don't lie or something.

Also i live in queens new york and i got to kings games on sunday if anyone want to play in the surrounding burroughs or anything.

Flamingtwigz on

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    First, you only need the DMG/MM if you are DM'ing.
    You might want to pick up the second PHB as well (four new races and eight new classes) and/or the appropriate <source> Power book(s) for your favourite classes, but you can really wait a while on that. Especially since the only one on general release right now is Martial Power, though that does cover the majority of the PHB classes.

For character generation, the standard method is now point-buy (explained in the PHB on p. 17) so you don't need to roll dice, which means anyone can check your scores later.

Also, you should check out the DnD 4e thread too.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i heard there are new races and classes in the 2nd player handbook, Do i have to buy that book to make a character of the classes or races in that book?

Flamingtwigz on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Alternative routes exist; for example a D&Di subscription gets you online access to most of the game-relevant info in the published books, as well as the character builder which lets you create dudes automagically with a pretty GUI.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    well if i create a charcter in the generator i can just print it out bring him into a game and use him?

Flamingtwigz on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i heard there are new races and classes in the 2nd player handbook, Do i have to buy that book to make a character of the classes or races in that book?

Yup. But most important and archetypical classes can be found from first PHB. On the race side, it misses gnome, but I don't really think that gnome is that popular.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also Do i need minitures and tile boards to start playing

Flamingtwigz on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also Do i need minitures and tile boards to start playing

No, but you will need some kind of marker and grid to run combat with. Pennies and graph paper work just fine, minis and tilesets really aren't required.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Note that you should only need those things if you are planning on running a game. Otherwise, the DM should take care of it. You really only need your character sheet and a PHB. If you use the Character Builder through D&Di, then you can print off all your abilities, and really you don't even need your PHB. Although an extra one at the table cant ever hurt.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you are going to be Dungeon Master, I can give you some solid newbie friendly advice. Just ask if needed.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If it is your first time playing DND, the things you need are a copy of your character sheet*, some dice(A D4, D6, D8, D10, D12, and D20 will suffice), a pencil, and a marker for your charactter.

If you look to be playing in this campaign for a while, a miniature looks much nicer on the table. D&D has their own prepainted ones, but much better quality (albiet unpainted) miniatures can be had from Games Workshop, Priviteer Press, Avatars of War, War Crow and others.

*The official character builder is great for this because among other things it prints the abilities adjusted for your statd/gear/etc

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i probably will be a DM when playing with my friends so tips are appreciated

Flamingtwigz on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My biggest DM tip is to read like crazy. Learn as much as you can about the core mechanics, and then some. If everyone is new to the game, expect a lot of extra time looking up rules. I'd recommend a few PHBs at the table, so you can play the ever-fun "who can find what we need the fastest" game. Give yourself enough time to plan ahead before everyone sits down at the table. I have a bad habit of procrastinating getting my stuff together and end up cramming before everyone gets there to make my maps.

Speaking of which. I'm going to actually try to start working on a map for a game that might get played a few days from now. So thanks for inspiring me not to procrastinate.

There's lots more to know, but I'm sure everyone else can chime in and help you out more.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    As UEAK said, the first tip for new DMs is to read the DMG/PHB from cover to cover; the 4e DMG is actually a really good intro to DM'ing on its own.
    Second tip is: Fun first, story second, everything else last; remember, you are telling an interactive story, not trying to "defeat" your players - if they wander away from the plot you had set out, feel free to move things around so that it turns out they were always following the right path all along™ (the Ret-Con is truly Destiny's most powerful weapon) or just run with it and tell a different story - you should never try to brute-force them into following their path or you end up with a console RPG on the table-top.

Mr_Rose on