As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prepare for Descent! (NSF56k, Pusses)

ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't doso i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
Prepare for Descent...

Okay, listen up assholes. I've actually made like one thread ever since posting in this place, and I have insomnia right now. Meaning, in my sleep-deprived delirium, I was thinking of random shit to try to get me to sleep, like how hot my neighbor is, or how much Darkwolf3128 sucks, or whether or not my pee will spin in a spiral if I twist my dick while peeing, or how awesome Descent was. What's Descent?
descent_logo.jpg

Only the greatest motherfucking first-person shooter that ever was created. And guess what, bitches? Imma write a hueg fucking post to tell you how much it rules and how much you guys blow for not playing it, because I'm tired as fuck right now and ANGRY. Maybe by the time I finish, I'll be anger'd out enough to finally get to sleep!

Fucked Up Controls

To this day, people wonder why I have the most batshit fucking insane key config when I play FPS games on my PC. They ask, "Hey Z, why the heck do you use F and V to move forward and back? How come you use W and X to jump and crouch? Why in the world do you invert your mouselook?" That's because these people are dumb and don't understand true genius. Ladies and gentlemen, I owe it all to this awesome game its awesomeness in control.

Think about all the first-person shooter games you've played within the last year: How many axes do you use? If you answered anything more than four, then you're a goddamn liar. You have forward-back (y), left-right strafing (x), look up and down (pitch), and look left and right (yaw). Hell, sometimes, you only need three to play the damn game (I played FarCry 2 without once turning left and right, because I'm awesome and you should worship me). You can do a technicality and say jumping and crouching is another axis, but that sort of shit will get you expelled from life.

Now, think about a typical shooter from nineteen-ninety-fucking-five. Back in the day, looking up was unheard of, and you're a goddamn visionary if you figured out to use a mouse to turn (in DooM circles, that was called using the "hax").

Descent threw all convention out the window, stomped on its corpse, shit on it, and then chewed on the remains and still had enough time to ponder the meaning of existentialism. That's because it brought in SIX MOTHERFUCKING AXES into the game to blow your goddamn eleven-year-old mind into pieces.

Yeah, bitches. Not only did you have x, y, pitch, and yaw, you also had up-down strafing and rotation. Think about that, fuckers. It had 50% more axes then every single one of your shitty, specular-mapped, pixel-shaded garbage excuse of FPS you play today. Shit was ahead of its time. It was surreal, and your hands were spaghetti after five minutes of playing. This is the reason why you used a goddamn joystick.

A what?

71JHQJZMZWL._SL500_AA280_.gif

One of these, asshole! Kids these days.

Look at those Sweet Grafx!

Speaking of specular-mapped, pixel-shaded garbage, back in the day, da Big D' was pretty rocking itself. Look at this sweet-ass shit:

robots.jpgenergy.jpg

Yeah, motherfuckas! Them be POLYGONS! Woo-wah!

A full year before the juggernaut known as Quake came into the market, Descent was already showing fools how a full-3D FPS game environment was done. And it still looked better than that overrated piece of shit since there were more colors than three shades of fucking brown. It featured realtime light-sourcing effects, and the game made good use of dark and light areas. You had a flare launcher, and flares stuck to walls and will realistically illuminate dark areas (Descent II later gave you a headlamp, which made flares useless except for humiliation kills in multiplayer). Best part is that you didn't have to lower your weapon to do it! Game was ahead of its time.

It also had a neato demo recorder, which blew my mind at the time. I can save a movie on how much I suck at this game and play it again for memories? AWESOME!

Oh yeah, it also was based on a portal renderer. Yeah asshole, that kind of portal. Choke on your cake and die.

Graphics Whores! It's the Gameplay, Stupid™!

Descent had a story of a "Material Defender," a snarky-ass mercenary hired by a huge conglomerate to rid their precious mines of rogue robots gone haywire from a virus. Now, it's his job to… blah, blah blah blah, fuck it, who cares, there's robots, they suck, and you're gonna murder the everloving fuck out of them. How?

BY LITERALLY BLOWING EVERYTHING INTO KINGDOM COME.

You know the drill, start out with a [strike]doomguy[/strike] ship in the beginning of the game with a dinky weapon, pick up weapons and powerups, fight hordes of enemies in narrow and claustrophobic corridors, find keycards, rescue human hostages, and make it to the end. All primary weapons in Descent share a single pool of energy (except the Vulcan cannons, which needed unique ammo), which can be replenished by picking up powerups from destroyed enemies or visiting recharging stations. Descent also had secondary weapons as well, in the form of high-yield explosive ordinance. You had your standard dumbfire concussion missiles, homing missiles, smart missiles, mines (useless in singleplayer), and the mega missile that was so huge it actually knocked your shit back a bit from the recoil!

reactor.jpgdescent_robot_generator.png

A reactor sat at the end of each level, literally sitting around and waiting for you to punk it like a lil bitch (on boss levels, these would be replaced by a huge a fucking boss robot which served the same purpose). Blow it up and you win, right? No bitch, this ain't a cutscene! YOU GOTTA [strike]PRESS A[/strike] RUN! You had exactly 60 seconds to find the exit, fight your way pass any robots you have killed yet, and escape before the whole godforsaken place blew everything up into space dust. God help you if you didn't find the exit beforehand. Kiss one of your lives goodbye for sucking.

And, oh boy, were you gonna eat lives. Descent can be unforgiving. The enemy AI, unlike its contemporaries, actually was pretty intelligent as far as 1995 standards go. On higher difficulties, they would try to dodge shots and pick you off. Higher settings of other games just added more [strike]demons[/strike] enemies to annoy you with. But in Descent, the robot population was completely identical across all settings, and raising up difficulty jacks up their murderous subroutines and enhances their taste of human flesh. Quality before quantity, folks.

escape.png

The 3D graphics weren't just a visual gimmick. This game was true, full 360 degree 3D. You can go anywhere, move anywhere, look at any direction, and just basically create your own barf simulator. The full 3D environment and gameplay also had a learning curve. No, it's not going to aim for you. No, it's not going to automatically shoot enemies that are higher or lower than you. No, it's not going to tell you where to go. Yeah, there's a minimap, but good look trying to figure it out, because you're a dumbass and can't think spatially. Yeah, you blew up the reactor, now, good luck finding that fucking exit while the screen is shaking uncontrollably and every silicon asshole in the mine is gunning for you. Curl up, die, and go to hell – you're not worthy.

Going through the first level without puking from motion sickness is a sacred rite of passage for the Descent initiate.
barfbag.png

Family Line Of Greatness

Descent (PC: 1995, PlayStation: 1996)
Parallax/Interplay

The one that started it all. Released for DOS on March of 1995 by Interplay and developed by Parallax Software, Descent presented the story of the Material Defender and his grand quest to [strike]save the universe from evil and corruption[/strike] make as much money as he can so he can go to some Tijuana hellhole and take jello shots from the bellies of a dozen underage hookers. I'll like Wikipedia sum it up:
Wikipedia wrote:
The game begins with a briefing between a bald anonymous executive (in later games named Dravis) of the Post Terran Minerals Corporation (PTMC) and the player, a "Material Defender" (revealed as MD1032 in the briefings) hired on a mercenary basis to gather information about a computer virus infecting the robots used for off-world mining operations. The game progresses through the solar system, from the Moon to Pluto's moon Charon. After defeating the boss robot on Charon, the Material Defender is informed he cannot return to the PTMC's headquarters in lunar orbit, as there is a chance his ship may be infected with the same virus as the defeated robots.
Shakespearean.

hostage.jpgdoor.jpg

It was released for Macintosh PCs a bit later, and this version included an enhanced soundtrack in redbook audio. A version appeared for the PlayStation with prerendered cinematics, a remixed soundtrack, and some snazzy lighting effects. However, this was before the days of the Dual Shock, and the controls were pretty terrible.

Descent II (PC: 1996, PlayStation: 1997)
Parallax/Interplay

After a short development time, a sequel was released. No shit, Zxerol? I wouldn't have guessed!
Wikisuckia wrote:
After the player has destroyed all of the mines in the solar system in the original Descent, he stops in the Asteroid belt for refueling. Dravis then contacts him and has a new mission:
"If you've studied your standard mercenary agreement, you would notice that PTMC reserves the right to keep you on retainer for up to 72 hours, post-mission. If you choose to decline further service, we may consider you in default of your contract, and your fee may be suspended, pending litigation. Good luck Material Defender. Dravis out."

The player's ship is fitted with a prototype warp core and he is sent to clear out all of PTMC's deep space mines, the last of which seems to run all through a planetoid, which is revealed in the final cutscene to be a large spaceship.

After it breaks apart, the Material Defender radios in to alert Dravis to his return home, but his warp drive malfunctions and he ends up in an unknown location. The camera then fades to that location and the ship appears, drifting towards the camera while it zaps itself with bolts of electricity. "To be continued" is displayed in fiery letters, and the plotline continues in Descent 3.
Descent II was pretty much the same, except the weapon loadout was doubled, there were more robot types, some twistier and nastier levels, and the overall AI was boosted a bit. So basically, it took an awesome game and made it what Voltaire termed "fuckawesome."

3d_051.jpgheadlight.png

A welcome new addition to the game was the GuideBot. This little guy made the game that much smoother. The GuideBot was your best friend, your bestest pal in godforsaken shithole of a universe. He always appeared near the beginning of the level, where you can bust him out from his cage and he'll tag along you like an obedient dog. His default behavior is to guide you to the stuff you need to finish the map: find all the keys in the order you needed them, then to the reactor, and then the exit. You can tell him to locate other stuff, such as hostages, powerups, or energy recharging stations. If he gets separated from you (which he will, since he gleefully zips around enemies while you're trying to deal with assholes attempting to shove mega missiles up your plasma pipe), he'll come back trying to look for you and making sad "I'm sorry" puppy faces. So while the levels were more intricate and dastardly, the GuideBot actually made things less confusing and to-the-point. The best part? It's completely optional if you want to you use him. If you accidentally freed him, you can actually order him to stay away from you if you're trying to be hardcore. But that just means you're a horrible bastard.

Less awesome than the GuideBot was the Thief Bot. He is as advertised: comes up to your ass and pulls the five-fingered discount on one of your powerups. Maybe it's something cheap, like a concussion missile. Or maybe he just took that NEW FUCKING PLASMA CANNON THAT YOU JUST FUCKING FOUND GOD FUCKING DAMMIT FUCK!!!!1. Whatever, he doesn't care, and if he takes it you'll have to kill him to get it back. Good look with that, he's fast, agile, and has way more hitpoints than you do, meaning you'll probably never kill him and get your shit back. Haha! That's what you get for sucking.

The soundtrack for this version is in redbook audio and music BY SKINNY PUPPY. YEAH SKINNY PUPPY WOOHOO! Eh, actually, I didn't care for it too much – I actually liked the alternative MIDI tracks. But people liked that shit, so I guess it just proves most people are mental.

If your rig ran on pure nitro, the game upped the resolution ante to 800x600 or even motherfucking 1280x1024. Yes, shitdicks, that is higher than 720p. Game was so far ahead of its time, it was doing this "HD gaming" bullshit (or whatever it is you fucking hippies call it nowadays) before it was in fashion to do so.

A version called Descent Maximum was released for the PlayStation, which was kind of a remixed version of Descent I and II. It had Dual Shock support, which was much better but still wasn't quite the same.

Descent³ (PC: 1999)
Outrage/Interplay

Descent goes into the modern age! Coming in on a massive 2CDs, the game's engine was built from the ground up to utilize these fancy new things called "3D accelerators." Like a lot of games back at the time, it wasn't jumping on Microsoft's jock and supported Glide and OpenGL in addition to Direct3D (as well as a software renderer for the poor fucks). The graphics are fly as fuckin' hell, yo.

d3_out.jpg

The single biggest gameplay change was the detachment of the series being a straight corridor shooter. Yep, ever since Unreal and Tribes and shit came out, the "in" thing was to do wide-open outdoor spaces. Feelings were mixed at the time when that was announced, and still is. There was plenty of corridor shooting to be done, but there was also quite a bit of outdoorsy combat on planet surfaces and cities and shit, too. These sections didn't feel nearly as tight as the tunnels. Due to the new graphics and improved level design, the tunnels and mines weren't as confusing and ambiguous as previous installments. Some regard this as a negative.

The lovable GuideBot now stays in your ship, and you can deploy or recall him back at any time. He also took a lesson in badass and can now be directed to attack enemies. He didn't do a lot of damage, but it was absolutely hilarious having him scream "Die infidel!" when attack enemy robots.

Yeah, there was a story too, and (unfortunately) it played a much bigger role than the previous installments. There was an actual in-game narrative, with character development and plot twists and all that other sort of shit. Look, guys, I appreciate the effort and all, but I only need the most tenable of rationale to blow up fucking robots. Fuck, look at Quake 3 and UT, which came up the same year. Yeah guys, learn a thing or two from the id school of storytelling.

There was an expansion released called Mercenary, where you play as a (surprise!) mercenary. Err, another one. Whatever, I didn't play too much of it and I heard it wasn't that hot anyway.

So, the game was pretty good. The graphics were excellent, the game is pretty tight (the outdoor sections much less so), and it was overall pretty well put together, if less chaotic. Shoulda been a hit, right? Haha, the fact that there isn't a Descent IV should tell you something for assuming, asshole! Yeah, didn't do quite that well. People were either burned out on six-degrees-of-freedom or there was just a new generation of pansies that couldn't handle it. What a shame.

Oh, notice that it wasn't developed by Parallax? Well, it actually kind of was. Parallax was split into two studios before D3. Outrage was one half, and made Descent 3 and its expansion (and later to a game called Alter Echo, which I never played and probably blows). The other half became Volition, which made Descent: Freespace (no relation, see below). Outrage no longer exists, while Volition is alive and happily churning out thugsta simulators and Red Faction games.

Oh Great Zxerol, I Love This Shit, Is There More?

Bitch, what more do you need? You have the best first person shooters ever made! Fuck you.

Check out Forsaken, back when Acclaim didn't completely suck ass. Did the whole six-degrees of motion and corridor shooter like Descent, but not as awesome. It did have snazzy 3D accelerated graphics (one of the first wave of PC games to do so), and was pretty fun.

You may have heard of Descent: Freespace and its more (in)famous sequel. You should, because they are killer awesome and you're not worthy to lick their shit-crusted feet. One thing: These aren't "Descent" games, i.e. first-person corridor shooters. They're actually space sims made by Outrage's sister company Volition after Parallax split. The "Descent" moniker was added during production to so as not to be confused by some other software product also named Freespace (the sequel wisely dropped that tag). Although not six-degrees-of-freedom (you couldn't strafe, even it'd make sense in space), it's still hella more complex than your pissy shit games that you fuckcocks play nowadays. Freespace had 26 different key bindings just for target acquisition. You assholes' heads would explode.

(PS: Love you Falcon 4.0, plz don't beat me anymore).

There was also a game called Descent to Undermountain. Completely had nothing to do with Descent other than using its engine. For one thing, it was a goddamn fantasy RPG. Never played this bitch, but Chris Avellone was a developer for it, and people here love polishing that guy's knob.

There's probably more Descent-like games out there, but they all blow and not worth your time. I can say this having not possibly played them, cuz I'm always right.

As for Descent 4? I'd love to see it, but it ain't happening. I'm going to go onto full-on cynical asshole mode and just say that people are too dumb to get it. Or rather, the market thinks people are too dumb to get it. Let's face it, if it doesn't have guns and people with squishy blood effects or space marines or whatever, no publisher is gonna sign onto your FPS. Tell me I'm wrong, I dare you. Furthermore, this whole modern idea of "streamlining" things is gonna suck ass for Descent. I'll tell you right now, they're gonna take out two axes so people don't get confused, and it's gonna blow. Look at your Xbox controller: that fucker has two thumbsticks with two axes. Where the fuck are you going to fit the other two? The fucking triggers? The PS3 has a six-axis controller, but I can imagine controlling your craft using motion control to be a PITA. And forget about those fucknut PC gamers, them and their fucking Peggle and shit. Christ.

Look, there is only one way to control a Descent game proper, and that's with a fat honking mother of a joystick in one hand with a twist handle. Or rudders if you're fucking awesome. How many of you fuckfags still have a joystick? Huh? Huh? Yeah, I thought so. You guys all make me sick.

Sounds Great, Oh God of the Universe! I'll Just Boot Up Windows And... OH FUCK!

Yeah, Descent hates your Windows. Real men run real mode DOS with like two TSRs. Memory manag-- wha?

Good news, though! Parallax had released the source code for Descent in 1999 (yeah, only four years after release, because they're the shit). Source ports exist; the best probably is DXX-Rebirth, which has versions for D1 and D2 in Windows, Mac OS 9/X, and Linux flavors. Just drop your .hog, .pig, and .ham files (I'm not bullshitting, those were the actual extensions for the packaged data -- I guess Parallax loved bacon) into D1X or D2X's /data dir, and let her rip!

Although Descent 3 is not open-source, it works as-is all the way up to motherfucking Windows 7 x64. Yeah, I just ran it ten minutes ago. It works and I'm awesome and you all can suck it. Game was so ahead of its time it runs on operating systems FROM THE FUTURE.

Note that open-source != freeware. Descent is still commercial software despite its age. Yeah, I know you know what that means, don't be a punk! GOG is offering ALL THREE games for reasonable prices! In fact, the versions of these games from GOG have been retooled to run on modern Windows systems, no source port necessary. Ultra-rad. I love the Polish.

To get you cheap and ungrateful assholes started, I got hold of the shareware versions of Descent I and II and extracted the game files for you shitdicks. Use the DXX Rebirth source port above, and put the files in a directory called 'data' (you'll have to create it). Note that there are separate versions of the source port for D1 and D2.

[LIST=2]
[*]Descent 1 Shareware Files
[*]Descent 2 Shareware Files
[*]Descent 3 Demo
[/LIST]

Propaganda!

My FPS is better than yours, and math proves it

Trailers!

Awesome rendition of the Descent II credits theme.

Awesome ship design or awesomest?!

MIDI music is the best music

Even in its third iteration, DooM is still trying to catch up to Descent

Sweet, Okay, Imma Blast Sum Robots, Thx Z!

no prob, now eat a dick

or talk how awesome descent is, i guess. thats coo too.

Zxerol on

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I read the first paragraph, and between being called an asshole, and hearing about your penis problems, I'm not sure if I want to go on.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hearby get motion sickness and vomit in celebration of this thread.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sir, this is a fine thread.

I still have my Descent 1 CD kicking around someplace. Maybe we should get some multiplayer going.

MechMantis on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I loved Descent.

I was also terrible at it.

citizen059 on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    and the controls were pretty terrible.

for 12 years now I've maintained that Descent controls best on the Playstation. This is one of the only console games I know of that you can completely remap every single control, including combinations of select+button.

I still have my controls memorized.

Left - rotate left
    Right - rotate right
    Up - pitch up
    Down - pitch down
    L1 - reverse
    R1 - forward
    L2 - strafe left
    R2 - strafe right
    x - fire primary weapon
    circle - fire secondary weapon
    square - cycle primary weapon
    triangle - cycle secondary weapon
    select + X - roll left
    select + circle - roll right
    select + square - map
    select + triangle - flare
    select + L1 - move vertically down
    select + R1 - move vertically up
    select + L2 - reverse view
    select + R2 - lay mine

It was also one of the few games to support this:

Sony%20PSX%20flightstick%20_z1.jpg

and I was DIEING to get one for years but it was like $100, a bit much when you're 13

also I have the code for full weapons and health memorized, I can do it in my sleep - triangle square circle x triangle square x triangle

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesome thread! But god damn, those look like some really hard controls, does Descent 3 control better?

Impersonator on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This thread is decent.

RichardTauber on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I never liked Descent very much, though I do agree that the feeling of 3D flight came across very well.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love the OP, and I played the SHIT out of Descent 2 at my dad's house back in the day. Good stuff, it was hard as fuck though, his joystick didn't twist or anything so I had to use a LOT more of the keyboard than I was used to but it was worth it. I might have to buy these off GOG now, thanks you dick.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Awsome OP. Also, I remember seeing a video for one of these when you first load up...Planescape? I cant remember.

Man, I wish I was younger, I never got to play this kind of stuff.

Lagnar on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, one of my favorite things to do was find a big enough open space, sit in the center, hold down Q (for clockwise rotation), then thrust forward and strife right and start corkscrewing all over the place.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zxerol wrote:
    Think about all the first-person shooter games you've played within the last year: How many axes do you use? If you answered anything more than four, then you're a goddamn liar. You have forward-back (y), left-right strafing (x), look up and down (pitch), and look left and right (yaw). Hell, sometimes, you only need three to play the damn game (I played FarCry 2 without once turning left and right, because I'm awesome and you should worship me). You can do a technicality and say jumping and crouching is another axis, but that sort of shit will get you expelled from life.
    There are only three axes. Whether you can move along them as well as turn is the issue, but that doesn't mean there are more axes.

It's why the Sixaxis is so stupid.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited March 2009
    Aw, I'm getting an error when trying to install the Descent 3 demo :(

Can someone help me out? I've already tried it twice, with installers from two different sources. You can see the error in the spoiler:
    descent3demoerror.jpg

Impersonator on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That was a great read.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited March 2009
    Zxerol wrote:
    There are only three axes. Whether you can move along them as well as turn is the issue, but that doesn't mean there are more axes.

It's why the Sixaxis is so stupid.

Isn't it like x, y, z, -x, -y, -z?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fuck yeah Decent is one of the best games of all time. So much of my childhood was lost to this vomit inducing awesomathon.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Considering the style and tone of the op this axis conversation is completely unimportant since it was just a vehicle for the delivery.

I only got to play d1 and d2 as demos. Reason being my mother disliked computer games and any games I owned as a child came out of my own pocket.

Every console I've ever owned, for example, I paid for myself.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited March 2009
    Man, that was weird. I sorta blacked out for a second and when I came to I was downloading D1 & 2 from GOG.com even though I'm at work.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh god. I played the shit out of Descent 1 when I was a kid. I think I need to go and try and find if I have the disk sitting around.

Zerokku on
    edited March 2009
    I remember liking the guide bot a lot in the descent 2 demo/shareware/whatever. He was so loyal and stuff. Except in combat but that's okay puppy that's my job!

Morninglord on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Put me in the boat for "Loved it, sucked at it." I liked looking at the different enemy ships they had floating around in the levels.

Henroid on
    edited March 2009
    The fuckers used to dodge your shots.

I remember feeling shocked at this when I was young. How dare they! Demons don't do that!

Morninglord on
    edited March 2009

I remember feeling shocked at this when I was young. How dare they! Demons don't do that!

Maybe it was just me but sometimes it felt like they'd peep around a corner to take potshots at you then dodge back around it. Those fuckers.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I never got motion-sickness from this nor struggled with the controls. Hmm. I know it got much harder later on (ladies) but I never found myself struggling to actually control the ship or know where I was.

I also loved the balls off Descent. It's one of the few games my dad loved too, and he played it obsessively for years.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Success!!! Found it as well as my Alpha centauri games, Sim city/tower/isle games, and sonic games. Hell yes. thanks OP!

Zerokku on
    edited March 2009
    I just re-bought it off GOG.

And as a bonus I get Descent II out of it!

MechMantis on
    edited March 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Maybe it was just me but sometimes it felt like they'd peep around a corner to take potshots at you then dodge back around it. Those fuckers.

I think that was the thief bot? That fucker made me so paranoid.

Morninglord on
    edited March 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

I think that was the thief bot? That fucker made me so paranoid.

The thief bot was far more devious. He'd steal your weapons and ammo and be a general dick and a half.

I would kill him with whatever the biggest gun I had was at the time in Descent 3. Never played Descent 2, so...

MechMantis on
    edited March 2009
    No I meant I thought he would sometimes pop out to see if you were there then pop back if you were looking.

Morninglord on
    edited March 2009
    I'm going to have to find a way to bring my joystick to work now, my backpack isn't big enough for that and my lunch. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aww man, this crashes on Vista Ultimate 64-bit. (1920x1200 running on a Geforce 9800M GTS)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited March 2009
    mspencer wrote: »
    Aww man, this crashes on Vista Ultimate 64-bit. (1920x1200 running on a Geforce 9800M GTS)

That's where GOG comes in :P

Also, it makes me very sad that I can't install the Descent 3 demo :(

Impersonator on
    edited March 2009
    mspencer wrote: »

Have you tried D2X-XL? It's a modification to a conversion to OpenGL, that also adds support for all Descent 1 missions.

So it's pretty awesome.

MechMantis on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Holy shit, someone mentioned Forsaken. Truly badass game.

chasehatesbears on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I played the hell out of Descent 1 & 2. They were also really good in multiplayer. My friend and I would get on LAN and have duels which were mostly comprised of flying around the maze a lot looking for each other.

Descent 2 also had a really cool level editor which was remarkably easy to use.

Man, between Descent 2, Jedi Knight, Half-Life, and Unreal Tournament, those were pretty much the best four years running for first person shooters ever. I did mapping for every one of those games too, come to think of it.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Basticle wrote: »
    It was also one of the few games to support this:

Sony%20PSX%20flightstick%20_z1.jpg

and I was DIEING to get one for years but it was like $100, a bit much when you're 13

also I have the code for full weapons and health memorized, I can do it in my sleep - triangle square circle x triangle square x triangle

Shit son! I've heard of that mystical beast, but I never seen it. I take back everything I said about PSX Descent, because that is truly a sight second only to Steel Batallion. Well, and those 2000 dollar HOTAS setups that hardcore flight sim junkies have.

Zxerol on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    when I was 13 I was totally determined to get 2 of those sticks, 2 PSXs, 2 copies of descent and a link cable so I could play my friend in some deathmatch

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, my friend had this game (and 2) and owned the shit out of it with keyboard only. I have no idea how he managed that shit.

KalTorak on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man I loved descent 1 and 2. My roommate and I played through both games more than once on coop. And the guide bot was great. (Deathmatch wasn't too shabby either, but only 2 out of our group of friends computers could run it well.)

Thanks for the nostalgia OP.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Descent was a good game, and a game that could totally be remade as an indie roguelike now.

piL on