As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Constructive Criticism for a Noobie.

CellarDoorCellarDoor Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey, long time reader first time poster here, and im just wondering if i could get some help/suggestions from the gurus here at the PA forums. I'm not looking to do anything specific but i want to pursue a career in art so im just fine tuning some of my stuff, and who better to help me see my pros and cons then you guys.

I'll Start off with a picture i did just last week, which was drawn scanned then done in Corel Draw.

iantest1.jpg

Tell me what you think, all criticism thats atleast semi-constructive is greatly appreciated and ill have some more up soon.

CellarDoor on

• Options
    Farmer BrownFarmer Brown Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    It's a pretty clean, cartoony style you have there. I'm wondering about the spot you missed on his ear, and the unexplained light source there to the right.

Farmer Brown on
    Transition - A Webcomic with Sunshine and Monochrome Rainbows
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You need to specify what you mean by "a career in art"
    basic cartooning skills won't really net you any "careers"
    If you want to take it seriously and move past a hobby to a career, you're looking at a lot of hard, hard work. Make sure you're willing to do that! and have fun!

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    yea the missed spot in the ear is just a technical thing, i didnt really put alot of time into this, and in response to you Rubber, im not really sure what i want to do, im only 15 so im thinking i have more time to fine tune my skills and focus on a certain "section" if you will in art. I just kinda want to have all the basics covered so i can pursue whatever might interest me later on.I'll try to upload some more of my sketchier stuff that isnt so cartoony, this is just all i had good to go. Thanks for the Advice.

CellarDoor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Shit, only 15 you've got tons of time. I suggest reading through the Questions + Tutorials OP, pick up Drawing on the Right side of the Brain (your school library will probably have a copy) and doing the excercises from that/the thread. If after a week or so you decide this is not fun and you are not seeing any improvement, you are the same as everyone else and you should not expect drastic improvement over a week.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You should check out what Projeck is doing. By PA poster standards he's practically a child, but he doodles for fun and constantly tries new things, which seem to pay off quite well for him.

At this point you should just draw whatever makes you happy. Try to do as much life drawing and art book reading as you can, but don't burn yourself out too quickly over this. The best thing to do is to keep the faith and just experiment with different mediums and ideas. If I were in your shoes right now i'd jump at the chance.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hey, it is very rude to talk about people behind their back, you know!

Projeck on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Egad, i've been had!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    gosh!

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah Projeck is a dic-
    (oh shit he's right there)
    -TIONARY OF AWESOME, RIGHT

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    in question, what programs do most of you guys use for your computer drawing, i only know of photoshop and corel, (sorry if this is starting to get off topic)

CellarDoor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    Yeah Projeck is a dic-

:x

Projeck on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Projeck wrote: »
    RubberAC wrote: »
    Yeah Projeck is a dic-

:x

Don't be a dictionary of awesome. Pass that shit.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets