As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dogs in the Vineyard] - OOC Thread: shit and the fan it hits

• robotsunshinerobotsunshine regular
    edited March 2009
    For those looking for more information on the Faith, it's adapted from an early form of Mormonism. There really isn't much more in the book aside from what I've already told you.

For those needing more information family and Stewardship, look here:
    At the top of the list are the top members of the hierarchy of familial Stewardship. Stewardship just means spiritual authority. Whoever's on top has authority over who is underneath them.
    • Husband
    • Married Adults
    • (tied) Unmarried adults in the house / elder parents / children

You don't have Stewardship over your role in the family, community, or the Faith. Those belong to your Steward. The Steward is essentially the mayor of the Branch, but acts more like a spiritual leader than anything else.

The Prophets and Ancients of the Faith receive divine wisdom and Truth from the King of Life, and then spread that doctrine to the Regional Stewards, who then spread that wisdom to the Branch Stewards. Regional Stewards take into consideration regional circumstances when interpreting the doctrine, and so the Branch Stewards, in regards to the families they are charged with. Then, the Husbands apply that to themselves and their wives, and the wives apply that to the rest of the family.

Everyone has a role to fill, and you don't transgress. You serve under your Mother. She serves under her Husband. He serves under the Branch Steward. He serves under Regional Steward. etc. That's just how it is, no exceptions.
    • Young girls are expected to be patient, quiet, polite, and demure; do boring menial work without complaint; be afraid of spiders, mice, guns, horses, falling, and swimming, but not blood; tend to younger siblings; help make meals and clean the hose.
    • Young boys are expected to be obedient, energetic, respectful, smart, and confident; do hard physical work; not be afraid of anything; take on more responsibilities.
    • Unmarried woman keep to their families; be receptive to courtship; keep courtship proper; overcome girlish fears; otherwise just be like young girls.
    • Unmarried men aggressively court several women (intending to marry just one, unless the Faith says otherwise, which rarely happens); travel; work.
    • Married women serve their husbands; tend to the house; bear children.
    • Married men defend their homes; provide for their families; educate their families.

Sex and love - between a married couple, it is virtuous and encouraged.
    Between two men or two women, it is forbidden and also a crime.
    Between an unmarried couple, love is virtuous but sex is a sin.
    Sex is virtuous only when love is involved.

With regards to Polygamy - it is a reward to men over 30 from the King of Life himself. He must personally call upon you to receive another wife, you must serve the Faith very well, and you must be able to support the new wife and family.

robotsunshine on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    (Dice: 3, 4, 5, 2, 2,)
    See: Taking the Blow

Jacob grit his teeth. He desperately thought of something, anything to say. A trickle of sweat came down the side of his face. It was true, there was no one defining moment in his life that led him to this.
    Dice: 3, 4, 5

Fallout Dice: 3, 4, 1 = 8
    ===

Rolling Trait: 2d8 - My faith is unshakable!
    (Dice: 2, 2, 4, 4)
    Raise:

But still the fire in Jacob's heart burned! "Wh-who the hell do you think you are?! The only one who makes men and dogs is the Lord! And I AM to be his faithful servant; A DOG."
    Dice: 4, 4

Shinyo on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    this game is a sausage fest

needs more girl priest-warrior.

hint
    nudge
    hint hint
    nudge

INeedNoSalt on
    edited March 2009

hint
    nudge
    hint hint
    nudge

man people

i totally want all of you in, i really sincerely do

but the dynamics of DitV means that when you've got 4-5 people, at least one person is going to take backseat most of the time. you can only gang up on someone so much.

6 of you, it would be totally boring for some of you and i don't want that

what about a 2nd game for everyone else who wanted to play, max of four players? i'd be up for that

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    I support INNS joining this game, under threat of bodily harm and dismemberment if I don't.

Shinyo on
    edited March 2009
    Raises / Sees

Shinyo
    I have to Give, I can't beat you. You totally just rocked their shit.

"From inside the mess hall, there is the rustling of Dogs - they come as a pack, barking and biting, coming to see what the furor is about.

They hear Jacob. "The only one who makes men and Dogs is the Lord!"

They form a circle around the group.

"A DOG!"

The teachers stare, noticing the new audience, but not paying them heed.

Jacob grows in strength, in space - he advances on his Teachers. They are not helpers, but obstacles at this point. They are keeping him from the King of All Life.

"You're right - you don't pick your Dogs, only GOD does that! Only God! " He's getting a bit red in the face, his fists are clenched. "I don't gotta show y'all nothin' - kick me out an' I'll take this up with the King himself! I'll STILL be a Dog!"

The teachers, and the students, are all wide-eyed. All are silent.

"Y'all ain't gotta let me through. I'm making my own way in. You can be in the way and feel the King's wrath flow through me, Hallelujah, and I ain't wantin' to hit no one or get violent, but not you nor any of you here can stop the King's will."

Jacob's breathing heavily, and one of the teachers starts to speak... but doesn't.

"Now let me break bread."

The Dogs all watch the teachers, seeing what the next move is. They step aside. Brother Jacob Robertson, Faithful Watchdog unto the Service, enters, and behind him are Praises and whispers of Faith, Praise Be.

(forgive me for snatching control - anything you don't like, I'll edit out and replace with your words, but you get the idea. I assumed he doesn't just stop being righteous, and that he continues his rant until consumed with zealous fire.)

What this means is, you get a new Trait at 1d6 to reflect the outcome. Since your accomplishment was, I hope this miserable creature can make a good Dog, that's your new Trait - This righteous servant serves the King faithfully, something like that. You get your accomplishment as a Trait at 1d6, and you can put whatever editorial spin on it you want. You're ready to begin play.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    That was even more awesome than I thought it would be. I whole-heartedly approve.

New trait: "This righteous Dog serves the Lord"

Shinyo on
    edited March 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    Since I like making characters in new systems to try em out, let me make a character, and if you need a reserve you can give me a PM :)

Character Name: Talitha Brown
    Background: Well Rounded

History:
    Talitha was a tomboy growing up. She never really cared for the things of women, though she learned them because her father made her. But she pushed the boundries whenever she could, learning to read and write very well, helping her brothers with some un-ladylike chores, and generally being a dissapointment to her mother.

When she reached her 14th birthday her grandmother died and left her a very old copy of the Book of Life. Grieving for her grandmother, who had been quite close, she read through the book, and marveled at the miracles and compassion shown therin- up until that point in her life religion had been a stuffy set of rules that wanted her to do things she didn't want to. Quite quickly, though, she reformed her life, dedicating it to the Father and helping those around her to hear His message, and to better themselves so that they could serve him better.

Being a quick learner and caring greatly about others (especially children), she finished her schooling and stayed on as an assistant to the teacher, and from there became a teacher herself. She was found to be incredibly smart and passionate about her work, and began to make a big difference in the community. Her children became well behaved and conscientious, and also started to show remarkable knowledge of- and observance to- the Book.

Her only remaining rebelliousness was that she steadfastly refused to marry. This eventually came to the ears of a Dog, who confronted her about refusing to marry a local boy her parents had selected for her when she was getting outside of marriageable age.

"Sir, with all due respect- that boy is not worthy of me. When I marry, it will be to a man who is intelligent enough hold to up his end of a conversation with me, and strong enough to stand by me and do what needs to be done in His name. Until then, I'll remain chaste, happily spend my life serving the Father of All Things and teaching others the joy that comes with doing so."

Talitha is extremely compassionate and intelligent, though she doesn't like violence. Though she carries a gun with her, she rarely uses it, preferring to turn sinners onto the right path rather than to remove them from the way altogether.

Numbers and such:
    Stats(17):
    Acuity: 5
    Heart: 8
    Body: 2
    Will: 2

Traits: (1d4 4d6 2d8)
    I live to teach: 2d8
    I learned how to shoot if I have to: 1d6
    I've learned alot from books: 2d6
    I can do anything a man can do: 1d6
    I have a soft heart: 1d4

Relationships(4d6 2d8):
    Father Jethro 1d6
    Mayor Thaddeus 1d6

Belongings:

My Coat 2d6- A suprisingly pretty coat- Her family helped half-heartedly, but her students and their families put extra care and attention into it: She was well respected, and the work and planning that went into it shows.
    Old revolver 1d6 1d4 - Hardly ever used, but a gift from the mayor of her town.
    Book of Life 1d8 1d6- A very old copy handed down to her by her grandmother
    Bessie- my Horse 1d6- A very calm mare- not the fastest, but she hardly ever starts or gets excited
    My books- 2d8- A collection of the most important books she owns and has found. Books on Math, Philosophy, Grammar, Etiquette, even one that she keeps well hidden on recognizing and dealing with demons... Whatever she is reading now, or thinks might come in handy.
    Jar of Consecrated earth 1d6
    Sewing kit- 1d6
    Pots and Pans- 1d8 Hand-made to her specifications, these are light-weight but conduct heat very well

Accomplishment: I hope I proved that I am as deserving of the title of God's Watchdog as any man is

1) Talitha would just BARELY make it being a Dog, and is lucky she didn't get her ass branded a sinner by the Steward for being a tomboy, and also refusing a suitor. She is totally breaking the rules, and if the Branch Steward is at all strict, she'd never get sent to Bridal Falls to follow the King. You can talk all you want about loving God, serving Him - if you sin, then you are a sinner.

That said, she is a fucking awesome character and would make a great Dog, as this game is ALL ABOUT moral and personal conflict in regards to Faith. She would be perfect for a game.

2) That her students pitched in and made the coat awesome is really, really cool, and I wish I had thought of that.

3) If you don't want a gun, the Temple won't make you take one. Thing is, in most Dogs games... you want that gun just in case. Sex, blood, and violence are very common themes in Dogs.

4) Please you guys agree to a second game, those who wanted in but didn't make it, because I like everyones' characters.

robotsunshine on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Since I like making characters in new systems to try em out, let me make a character, and if you need a reserve you can give me a PM :)

History:
    Talitha was a tomboy growing up. She never really cared for the things of women, though she learned them because her father made her. But she pushed the boundries whenever she could, learning to read and write very well, helping her brothers with some un-ladylike chores, and generally being a dissapointment to her mother.

When she reached her 14th birthday her grandmother died and left her a very old copy of the Book of Life. Grieving for her grandmother, who had been quite close, she read through the book, and marveled at the miracles and compassion shown therin- up until that point in her life religion had been a stuffy set of rules that wanted her to do things she didn't want to. Quite quickly, though, she reformed her life, dedicating it to the Father and helping those around her to hear His message, and to better themselves so that they could serve him better.

Being a quick learner and caring greatly about others (especially children), she finished her schooling and stayed on as an assistant to the teacher, and from there became a teacher herself. She was found to be incredibly smart and passionate about her work, and began to make a big difference in the community. Her children became well behaved and conscientious, and also started to show remarkable knowledge of- and observance to- the Book.

Her only remaining rebelliousness was that she steadfastly refused to marry. This eventually came to the ears of a Dog, who confronted her about refusing to marry a local boy her parents had selected for her when she was getting outside of marriageable age.

"Sir, with all due respect- that boy is not worthy of me. When I marry, it will be to a man who is intelligent enough hold to up his end of a conversation with me, and strong enough to stand by me and do what needs to be done in His name. Until then, I'll remain chaste, happily spend my life serving the Father of All Things and teaching others the joy that comes with doing so."

Talitha is extremely compassionate and intelligent, though she doesn't like violence. Though she carries a gun with her, she rarely uses it, preferring to turn sinners onto the right path rather than to remove them from the way altogether.

Numbers and such:
    Stats(17):

Relationships(4d6 2d8):
    Father Jethro 1d6
    Mayor Thaddeus 1d6

Belongings:

My Coat 2d6- A suprisingly pretty coat- Her family helped half-heartedly, but her students and their families put extra care and attention into it: She was well respected, and the work and planning that went into it shows.
    Bessie- my Horse 1d6- A very calm mare- not the fastest, but she hardly ever starts or gets excited
    My books- 2d8- A collection of the most important books she owns and has found. Books on Math, Philosophy, Grammar, Etiquette, even one that she keeps well hidden on recognizing and dealing with demons... Whatever she is reading now, or thinks might come in handy.
    Sewing kit- 1d6
    Pots and Pans- 1d8 Hand-made to her specifications, these are light-weight but conduct heat very well

Accomplishment: I hope I proved that I am as deserving of the title of God's Watchdog as any man is

1) Talitha would just BARELY make it being a Dog, and is lucky she didn't get her ass branded a sinner by the Steward for being a tomboy, and also refusing a suitor. She is totally breaking the rules, and if the Branch Steward is at all strict, she'd never get sent to Bridal Falls to follow the King. You can talk all you want about loving God, serving Him - if you sin, then you are a sinner.

That said, she is a fucking awesome character and would make a great Dog, as this game is ALL ABOUT moral and personal conflict in regards to Faith. She would be perfect for a game.

2) That her students pitched in and made the coat awesome is really, really cool, and I wish I had thought of that.

3) If you don't want a gun, the Temple won't make you take one. Thing is, in most Dogs games... you want that gun just in case. Sex, blood, and violence are very common themes in Dogs.

4) Please you guys agree to a second game, those who wanted in but didn't make it, because I like everyones' characters.

Hmm. Well, the tomboy thing was before she really "awakened" to spiritual life, so that's a matter of her past that she's put behind her- I don't see it as being an issue.

The not marrying thing... I could probably reword it a bit so that her father doted on her and gave her final say in the matter, and she convinced him that she wouldn't be able to love just any man and take it on that angle...Let me ruminate on that part.

And if you want to do another game, I'd be willing to give it a try. It seems like a VERY different system from what I've used, and trying new things is good, right? :)

El Skid on
    edited March 2009

History:

Numbers and such:
    Stats(17):

Relationships(4d6 2d8):
    Father Jethro 1d6
    Mayor Thaddeus 1d6

Belongings:

Sewing kit- 1d6

Hmm. Well, the tomboy thing was before she really "awakened" to spiritual life, so that's a matter of her past that she's put behind her- I don't see it as being an issue.

The not marrying thing... I could probably reword it a bit so that her father doted on her and gave her final say in the matter, and she convinced him that she wouldn't be able to love just any man and take it on that angle...Let me ruminate on that part.

And if you want to do another game, I'd be willing to give it a try. It seems like a VERY different system from what I've used, and trying new things is good, right? :)

No, no! You misunderstand. Those weren't complaints, they were observations. Compliments even! Don't change a thing. I was simply saying how she flies in the face of what the Faith is (as far as roles go), yet she serves it. That's really cool.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009

hint
    nudge
    hint hint
    nudge

man people

but the dynamics of DitV means that when you've got 4-5 people, at least one person is going to take backseat most of the time. you can only gang up on someone so much.

what about a 2nd game for everyone else who wanted to play, max of four players? i'd be up for that

i guess i am not opposed to a second game although your first game will still have so much cock

unless el skid is also in that one, i dunno

i don't really want to see you start a new group and have the new group just be 'lets appease salt', because i know i am deific, but i don't demand so much tribute

INeedNoSalt on
    edited March 2009

hint
    nudge
    hint hint
    nudge

man people

i guess i am not opposed to a second game although your first game will still have so much cock

unless el skid is also in that one, i dunno

i don't really want to see you start a new group and have the new group just be 'lets appease salt', because i know i am deific, but i don't demand so much tribute

so much cock for the lord

nah, it'd be you, el skid, zombiemambo and someone else.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    i hope zombiemambo and someone else make girl characters
    then we can compare progress, boys vs girls

INeedNoSalt on
    edited March 2009
    here is a bit of a sheet i reckon
    Sister Charity

Complicated History (15d6 Stat, 4d4, 2d6, 2d10 Trait, 5d6, 2d8 Relationship

stats
    acuity 4d6
    body 2d6
    heart 4d6
    will 5d6

traits
    aint the first time ive shot a man 2d10
    not unpleasant to look at 2d4
    i can cook a mean steak 1d4
    im a (vicious) dog 1d4
    "Behold, the King slayeth the wicked..." 2d6

relations (3d6 1d8)
    daddy 1d8
    aunt julie 1d6

equipment
    fancy pistol 2d6+1d4
    shotgun 1d8+1d4
    book of life 1d4
    horse 1d4
    coat* 2d6

i hope my character proved herself through violence

history etc

Sister Charity didn't find herself in the hands of the Faithful until she was ten. Before then, she lived alone with her daddy, and the pair were fairly nomadic. Daddy taught Charity all of the things he thought were important for survival out and about (or what he could, anyway, teach a ten year old.) Mostly, he taught her to hunt and shoot, and he taught her things he thought were important for a girl in the world, too. She knew how to cook what her dad killed and she could sew well enough.

Daddy brought Sister Charity to one of the small branches of the Faith after a skirmish had left her wounded. The pair had set upon a band of horseback brigands (although her daddy didn't know Charity'd taken the initiative to get involved until too late.) That was the day Charity first killed a person, and the day she took her first bullet. It wasn't the last time she did either.

Charity's daddy leased her into the care of the branch's people, who saw to the wound. Some of them thought it was a miracle that she hadn't died outright, and Lord knows Charity's daddy prayed night and day for her recovery. The event was enough to spark Charity's daddy into real religious faith, and they were taken into the town proper. Charity's daddy took up place in the town as a Deputy, as a good shot and a man who understood what needed to be done; Charity fell under the care of a Steward, who saw to it that she grew up a faithful and righteous individual.

And fortunately for herself and her congregation, Charity grew up to very faithful and very righteous. Unfortunately, maybe, she also grew up forever scarred by the events of her first murder. Charity took to the Book of Life with fervor, embracing it entirely but favoring aspects of the book that many cast a blind eye to. The Book of Life says, "Slay him, for the King hath delivered him into thy hands," and Charity will never forget that.

okay so that quote is actually from the book of mormon. so is the quote in her traits (it's actually like, "Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands. Behold, the Lord slayeth the wicked ... " and goes on from there.

hm. :O

INeedNoSalt on
    edited March 2009
    Sister Charity

stats
    acuity 4d6
    body 2d6
    heart 4d6
    will 5d6

traits
    im a (vicious) dog 1d4

relations (3d6 1d8)
    daddy 1d8
    aunt julie 1d6

equipment
    fancy pistol 2d6+1d4
    shotgun 1d8+1d4
    book of life 1d4
    horse 1d4
    coat* 2d6

history etc

Sister Charity didn't find herself in the hands of the Faithful until she was ten. Before then, she lived alone with her daddy, and the pair were fairly nomadic. Daddy taught Charity all of the things he thought were important for survival out and about (or what he could, anyway, teach a ten year old.) Mostly, he taught her to hunt and shoot, and he taught her things he thought were important for a girl in the world, too. She knew how to cook what her dad killed and she could sew well enough.

Daddy brought Sister Charity to one of the small branches of the Faith after a skirmish had left her wounded. The pair had set upon a band of horseback brigands (although her daddy didn't know Charity'd taken the initiative to get involved until too late.) That was the day Charity first killed a person, and the day she took her first bullet. It wasn't the last time she did either.

Charity's daddy leased her into the care of the branch's people, who saw to the wound. Some of them thought it was a miracle that she hadn't died outright, and Lord knows Charity's daddy prayed night and day for her recovery. The event was enough to spark Charity's daddy into real religious faith, and they were taken into the town proper. Charity's daddy took up place in the town as a Deputy, as a good shot and a man who understood what needed to be done; Charity fell under the care of a Steward, who saw to it that she grew up a faithful and righteous individual.

And fortunately for herself and her congregation, Charity grew up to very faithful and very righteous. Unfortunately, maybe, she also grew up forever scarred by the events of her first murder. Charity took to the Book of Life with fervor, embracing it entirely but favoring aspects of the book that many cast a blind eye to. The Book of Life says, "Slay him, for the King hath delivered him into thy hands," and Charity will never forget that.

okay so that quote is actually from the book of mormon. so is the quote in her traits (it's actually like, "Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands. Behold, the Lord slayeth the wicked ... " and goes on from there.

Favorite points: your I'm a Dog trait is a d4 trait, and "not unpleasant to look at" is 2d4. I'm intrigued as to how these will become complications. That it is a strong female character with violence on the brain.

I am disappointed because there is no coat information.

Let Zombiemambo make a Dog, and I'll you guys through initiation also.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    Shinyo wrote: »
    (Dice: 3, 4, 5, 2, 2,)
    See: Taking the Blow

Jacob grit his teeth. He desperately thought of something, anything to say. A trickle of sweat came down the side of his face. It was true, there was no one defining moment in his life that led him to this.
    Dice: 3, 4, 5

Fallout Dice: 3, 4, 1 = 8
    ===

Rolling Trait: 2d8 - My faith is unshakable!
    (Dice: 2, 2, 4, 4)
    Raise:

But still the fire in Jacob's heart burned! "Wh-who the hell do you think you are?! The only one who makes men and dogs is the Lord! And I AM to be his faithful servant; A DOG."
    Dice: 4, 4

Oh, also, for Fallout, just sum the two highest dice. At 7, you get short-term consequences, which don't apply for initiations. So I made a post to tell you absolutely nothing, and also ignore this.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    Sister Charity

stats
    acuity 4d6
    body 2d6
    heart 4d6
    will 5d6

traits
    im a (vicious) dog 1d4

relations (3d6 1d8)
    daddy 1d8
    aunt julie 1d6

equipment
    fancy pistol 2d6+1d4
    shotgun 1d8+1d4
    book of life 1d4
    horse 1d4
    coat* 2d6

history etc

Favorite points: your I'm a Dog trait is a d4 trait, and "not unpleasant to look at" is 2d4. I'm intrigued as to how these will become complications. That it is a strong female character with violence on the brain.

I am disappointed because there is no coat information.

Let Zombiemambo make a Dog, and I'll you guys through initiation also.

there will be coat information

it is comin'

i take 'not unpleasant to look at' as a disadvantage because i (as a player) don't like touchy feely stuff, so i imagine people getting on this character for her appearance will just peeve her

similarly, her 'i'm a dog' trait is really low because although she is fervent, her fervor doesn't really extend beyond shooting folk, and it's probably not hard to trip her up on other matters of faith

i think her scripture-trait comes into play there, though; she isn't the sort to memorize scripture, but she can recite the parts of the Book of Life that interest her without missing a beat.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I promise faithfully that I'll reply to my initiation in the morning, right now I'm not sure I'd make so good a job of it. Alcohol and parties were involved.

Kay2 on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    OK. I'll roll my trait "I know the Book of Life like the Back of My Hand" for a 1,5. Still not exactly my day dice wise. This gives me a total of

I'll Raise with with a 3,5
    "I-In fact you're the o-ones who should go! "He who despairs against his and attempts to throw him from the Light to the Outer Darkness shall surely earn the enmity of the King of Life, and they shall not enter his Kingdom. But he who welcomes his brother into the light shall surely earn the King's favour, and a place will be set for him at the table of the Just" S-so if you don't want to risk your soul you b-better treat me like a brother."

Neaden on
    edited March 2009
    My dice are: (Dice: 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6.)

See:

Caleb's stances gives away a little of his apprehension here; he wasn't expecting to be called on first. He starts with a faint stammer, thoughts of his father, his disapproval, and his sincere wish that his boy'd been more manly in the eyes of the Lord.

"I uh, I ain't got much to say, Daddy," Caleb replies, his eyes somewhere around the level of his tutor's knees. "Ain't much ain't already been said. But I done got me some trainin' an' teachin's, an' I know that the King of All Things wants me t'be his faithful Dog, keepin' the flock sure an' safe in th'Word." Caleb pauses, before starting to raise his eyes, to look his teacher full in the face.

My See - (Dice: 1, 2, 3.) - Taking the blow.

Fallout: (Dice: 2, 2, 3.) (d4s, just talking) = 5

Raise:

"An' daddy?" Caleb says. "I think I gone done that, an' pretty good. Ya were always a-tellin' me that I should be stronger, stand up fer m'self, do what I thought was right by the Lord, as a good daddy should. You were always a-tellin' me t'help out with th' manly work, a-toilin' in the fields, corralin' the beasts, defendin' the settlement an' upholdin' the Lord's Word."

Now, Caleb stands just that little straighter, his shoulders set, his chin held high, while looking his 'daddy' right in the eye.

"Well, daddy, ain't no job more fittin' of a man or a woman in His eyes than bein' one a his faithful Dogs. Praise God, th' King of all Things! Hallelujah!"

My Raise - (Dice: 4, 4.)

Remaining Dice: (1, 1, 5, 5, 6, 6.)

If needs be, I could use my 'When I speak, people listen' trait in this situation, right? I could work that into the next step if it looks like I need the dice.

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    Raises / Sees

Kay

See
    (dice: 3, 1, 7, 8, 1, 1)

See:
    The teacher takes a moment to settle into character, imagining how your Daddy might be from what you've told him. His voice deepens needlessly, and tries to stand up taller and over you. You can't really tell if he expected to have to lay some therapy out or not, but you can see that he's prepared for it.

"You got a gun and a official title, and you think yer a man now? Took ya this long, didn't it? God don't need you. First time I ever heard you act with a backbone." And the teacher advances on you. "Don't you ever give me that sass again, you hear me? You fear me before you fear the Lord, you hear me? You ain't no man. Go sit down."
    (dice: 8) Reversing the Blow

It's the only trick I had up my sleeve. I can maybe take one more Raise, but then I'm totally hosed. If you want to use the Trait for extra security, yeah, go ahead. It would totally fit here.

Raise
    (dice: 7, 3, 1, 1, 1)

Raise:
    "Ain't no Dog can be a Dog, he ain't got guidance from the family!"
    (dice: 8, 1)

Neaden

See
    (dice: 6, 6, 7, 5, 6, 6)

See:
    They're quiet for a moment, Zeke taking a big deep, huffing breath before speaking. "We'll be Dogs jus' fine without you." He's changed the subject.
    (dice: 6, 5) Block It was an excellent Raise, however.

Raise
    (dice: 7, 6, 6, 6)

Raise:
    Zeke takes a few steps towards you, his fits clenched, his face going a bit red. Thomas hangs back. Zeke can't keep grilling you on God's will - you know more than he does, that's a fact, and he feels like a hypcrit right now, and it's an uncomfortable feeling.

"You good-fer-nothin' Savage! What'd you do that makes everyone say to hush up around you? What's this big scary his'try o' yers? I seen my Grand-Daddy kill a man when I was a little, I got traumatized even worse'n you, I bet!" He's trying to get you to hush up and feel uncomfortable too, talking about your past, and you can tell. "Or you gonna go cry in the corner again, 'cause the big bad demon spirits done heart you as a little baby?"
    (dice: 7, 6) I suggest escalating, Physical or even Fighting (kick their ass!). If you go Physical, you'll just roll Body - but if you straight out beat on one of them, preferably Zeke, you get Body and Will. Truth be told, you just need to roll enough to contend with the two 6s I have left.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    Just a clarification - from what I read in the rules post, if you 'Reverse the Blow' (and I was sorta hoping you would!) then you get to add that dice to your raise, right? So your raise versus me is actually 10?

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    Just a clarification - from what I read in the rules post, if you 'Reverse the Blow' (and I was sorta hoping you would!) then you get to add that dice to your raise, right? So your raise versus me is actually 10?

Hah, you caught me - I was doing Raises and Sees and stuff all together, and got mixed up. Actually, no, it's 9. The die you keep from Reversing the Blow is one of the two dice you have to use, it doesn't get added on.

I live to fight another day!

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    I should have kept my mouth shut. :p I'll be using my trait, then preparing my see and raise. My plan was to end it on a high note, reversing the blow when you had no dice left, then delivering some kind of awesomely insightful point that left him speechless. I just need to find out what that point is going to end up being!

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    Current Dice: (1, 1, 5, 5, 6, 6.)

I use my 'When I speak, people listen - 2d8' trait.

Trait Dice: (4, 6.)

Updated Dice: (1, 1, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6.)

See: (A block)
    Caleb's resolve falters for a moment, before he grits his teeth and presses forward.

"We're both men now, daddy. Y'can't just brush me off like I were a kid no more. I respect ya, don't get me wrong, but I ain't gonna stand for no disrespectin' me when we both standin' on equal footin' afore the Lord."

The young man straightens up, one hand on his heart. "An' daddy, you gave me all th'guidance I needed t'know what I needed t'do t'make you proud. I needed to be a man, an' like you said, I found my backbone. Took a while, but I wanna tell you why."

My See: (Dice - 4, 5)

Raise:
    Dice: (1, 1, 5, 6, 6, 6)

"Took me awhile t'find m'backbone, 'cause you was surpressin' it alla time," Caleb states, plainly. "You was scared I'd stand up t'ya, prove I were more'n a man that ya, an' y'couldn't handle y'son, who spent s'much time wi'th'womenfolk, who din' wrassle in th'fields or pick fights instead o' schoolin', bein' as much a man as you."

Dunn takes a breath, then exhales slowly. "Daddy, y'll always have my respect, y'know that. But you gotta accept that I can do this, for God, for m'family, for the people on this good earth. I got the strength where it counts, an' the Lord of All Things, He surely knows it, else he wouldn't be askin' me t'do his work."

My Raise: (Dice - 5, 6)

Dice remaining - (1, 1, 6, 6)

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    Current Dice: (1, 1, 5, 5, 6, 6.)

I use my 'When I speak, people listen - 2d8' trait.

Trait Dice: (4, 6.)

Updated Dice: (1, 1, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6.)

See: (A block)
    Caleb's resolve falters for a moment, before he grits his teeth and presses forward.

"We're both men now, daddy. Y'can't just brush me off like I were a kid no more. I respect ya, don't get me wrong, but I ain't gonna stand for no disrespectin' me when we both standin' on equal footin' afore the Lord."

The young man straightens up, one hand on his heart. "An' daddy, you gave me all th'guidance I needed t'know what I needed t'do t'make you proud. I needed to be a man, an' like you said, I found my backbone. Took a while, but I wanna tell you why."

My See: (Dice - 4, 5)

Raise:
    Dice: (1, 1, 5, 6, 6, 6)

"Took me awhile t'find m'backbone, 'cause you was surpressin' it alla time," Caleb states, plainly. "You was scared I'd stand up t'ya, prove I were more'n a man that ya, an' y'couldn't handle y'son, who spent s'much time wi'th'womenfolk, who din' wrassle in th'fields or pick fights instead o' schoolin', bein' as much a man as you."

Dunn takes a breath, then exhales slowly. "Daddy, y'll always have my respect, y'know that. But you gotta accept that I can do this, for God, for m'family, for the people on this good earth. I got the strength where it counts, an' the Lord of All Things, He surely knows it, else he wouldn't be askin' me t'do his work."

My Raise: (Dice - 5, 6)

Dice remaining - (1, 1, 6, 6)

If I were a player right now, during normal non-initiation play, I would totally Give. I would get to keep my 7. Then, I go get backup, some more ammo, and march straight into your house in the middle of the night, throw down my 7, and say, What?

Unfortunately, I cannot do that. And now, I'm faced with a dilemma.

(dice: 7, 3, 1, 1)

Your Raise is 5, and 6. I need to put down three dice to Take the Blow and get my shit handed to me, and then I can't Raise because I don't have two dice. I would be forced to Give. So, I'm not even going to insult you with a See. You said you had plans for a big monologue, so I'm giving way to that.

Shinyo, I took your's over, filled in the blanks, and since I'm letting Kay here do his as he wants, you've also got that opportunity (I know you said you liked it, but if you change your mind, go ahead and re-post the ending to yours how you like).

So, basically what happens is, the Teacher channels your father and accepts your words. And he's impressed. You know, deep down, that you HAVE changed, you HAVE become a man, and if this doesn't make Daddy proud, God only knows what will.

You get a new 1d6 Trait about making Daddy proud.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    Let's talk a little about how the IC Thread will work, since we're just about there.

I'll post my fancypants introduction that leads right into you guys heading into town. You're there to deliver mail, participate in ceremony, help out with work, and also resolve any problems that may arise.

You need to know how much you mean to people - everyone sees you as the ultimate answer to their problems. They're gonna lay into you with, "I need you to do this and this and this," and, "This person said this and you need to blah blah blah." Sometimes, people are obviously wrong, and sometimes, you have a tough choice about what to do. Sometimes, you guys don't agree on what the right option is, and that's awesome. Hell, sometimes Dogs have their guns pointed at each other because their arguments might involve an innocent child's life or death.

As a GM, I do not have an answer in mind. I have a HUGE problem in town that will unfold during play, but I honestly don't know how or if it's going to get fixed. I'm not going to lead you guys on a set path, you might not win, and death is not only a possibility, it's highly likely in your field of work. But the point is, my planning as a GM, according to the rules, stops when you guys enter the town. It is officially out of my hands. What happens next is on you guys.

Some things to note: remember Say yes or Roll the dice. If you guys need something, assume it's there. If you need to get to a certain place, there you are. And if someone disagrees with it, you'll know by next post, because here come the dice.

There's going to be a lot of Raising and Seeing, it's how the game works. Sometimes it'll be simple stuff, with only three or four exchanges, and sometimes, rarely, it's a long, drawn-out gunfight from the back of your horse, everyone racing for the cave outside of town before it's too late. Push towards conflict - nothing is ever too insignificant to start a problem about. By its very nature, if you start a conflict over something, it BECOMES important, and what you guys decide is important becomes so, and I'll follow your lead.

Your next course of action should be obvious, at all times - root out the sin, fix the problems.

Okay, so, the mechanics! Keep posting freely about the scene you're in, saying and doing whatever you want. You'll interact a lot with NPCs, whom I of course take the voice of. At times, I'll make a post as GM switching everyone over to a new scene. When that happens, you can go ahead and make a final post about the scene you WERE in, if you want, and then we switch over. It's very cinematic. There's a few surprises I've held back, that you'll see when they come into play, so expect that also. And if anybody needs clarification or elaboration on something, feel free to PM me.

Soon as we finish with Neaden, we're heading into the frigid snow.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    Shinyo, I took your's over, filled in the blanks, and since I'm letting Kay here do his as he wants, you've also got that opportunity (I know you said you liked it, but if you change your mind, go ahead and re-post the ending to yours how you like).

Nope, you pretty much got as good a hold on my character as I do. It's pretty much exactly what I was going to say. So yeah, damn fine DMing.

Shinyo on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm going to roll For both my "I've Seen a Demon" trait and for my possession of Old Knife. I get 4,2,1 from that giving me a total of

See: with 6,4,2,1
    Eleazar was silent. The memories of his life before the Dogs came start to come back. The hunger of not having enough food to go around, the fear of the forest at night and the strange creatures that were sometimes seen. But also the good things, playing with his friends, the smiling face of his grandmother. Maybe he didn't belong here, maybe Zeke was right.
    Edit: Whoops, forgot to take my fallout from taking the blow. 4 d4 is 3,4,4,3. For 8 Fallout. Wow, I finally roll high numbers eh?

Raise: with 4,3
    But then Eleazar felt the knife at his waist. He had hastily put on his belt this morning and he could feel the knife digging into him, the small pain bringing his memory back to the night the Dog's came, to the creature that he saw there, to the smell of it's breath and the things he saw it do. "No Zeke, I ain't gonna cry. I ain't gotta do nothing. It don't matter what I saw when I was a youngin' just like it don't matter what you saw. We're Dog's now, the King of life has got his plan fer us and if he don't care what happened then I suggest you just mind yer own business too."

Neaden on
    edited March 2009
    Neaden wrote: »
    I'm going to roll For both my "I've Seen a Demon" trait and for my possession of Old Knife. I get 4,2,1 from that giving me a total of

See: with 6,4,2,1
    Eleazar was silent. The memories of his life before the Dogs came start to come back. The hunger of not having enough food to go around, the fear of the forest at night and the strange creatures that were sometimes seen. But also the good things, playing with his friends, the smiling face of his grandmother. Maybe he didn't belong here, maybe Zeke was right.

Raise: with 4,3
    But then Eleazar felt the knife at his waist. He had hastily put on his belt this morning and he could feel the knife digging into him, the small pain bringing his memory back to the night the Dog's came, to the creature that he saw there, to the smell of it's breath and the things he saw it do. "No Zeke, I ain't gonna cry. I ain't gotta do nothing. It don't matter what I saw when I was a youngin' just like it don't matter what you saw. We're Dog's now, the King of life has got his plan fer us and if he don't care what happened then I suggest you just mind yer own business too."

I got nothin'. I can See you with two 6s, but then I'm empty when it comes time to Raise. I Give.

What happens is, the same way it goes for most bullies, when you stand up to them, they shut their fucking mouths - and they catch a flash of that knife, and they start believing all the shit they're saying, about how unpredictable the Mountain Men are. Eleazar, you go in and snatch the dirty sheets off your bed and lie down, asleep, and you never hear another peep from Zeke or Thomas again - a dirty look perhaps, but nothing more. When you graduate, you part ways, and never hear from them again, and yet you only hope that whatever Branches they serve feel their mercy instead of their hate.

You don't let your past fear run your life, at a nice 1d6 to boot.

Guys, we're ready to start. This thread is our OOC, and I'm starting up the IC in just a moment.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    Awesome, finally.

Shinyo on
    edited March 2009
    I'll post the last part to my initiation sometime soon, though I'm busy with chores and suchlike right now. Looking forward to the IC thread!

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    I guess my scene with the tutor ends up with Caleb saying 'I look forward t'seein' ya, daddy,' and then letting the next student take their turn.

As for the main IC thread, should the three of us discuss loosely what we want to do here, then take turns to post there? Like I said, first time I've done one of these games online, and I don't want to take the initiative and go in completely the wrong direction!

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    I guess my scene with the tutor ends up with Caleb saying 'I look forward t'seein' ya, daddy,' and then letting the next student take their turn.

As for the main IC thread, should the three of us discuss loosely what we want to do here, then take turns to post there? Like I said, first time I've done one of these games online, and I don't want to take the initiative and go in completely the wrong direction!

Basically, yeah. You can post suggestions, or you can also just go for it. Like right now, not much is going on, and it's not too risky, so you can feel free to explore, talk to NPCs, do what you like. Also, feel free to jump around - the other two stay and talk to William Lemon, and you're like, I'm going to the mill at the opposite edge of town to do something.

Your post will probably be a mix of In-Character narration and action, Sees / Raises, and some Out-Of-Character information, if necessary, in parenthesis or somehow separate. The OOC thread, then, becomes a place for asking questions or giving suggestions, player to player.

You really don't even need to take turns or anything - post as much as you want, just make sure other people get a chance to do what they want before the scene's over with (which that responsibility mostly falls on me), don't hot the spotlight but don't NOT hog it when your character damn well should, etc.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    Gotcha. I've got a couple of questions before I start posting, then.

Do we know anything about other Companies that were ordered out there? The narration says that several went there - did they all return in one piece, or did some go missing?

Also, we're there to help out and look after the survivors of the winter. But have we been given any mail, news or what-have-you that we're meant to be passing on? Or is that something we make up ourselves?

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    Suggestion: Maybe Caleb should speak up and introduce the group, being the most charismatic of the three of us. Jacob is more of a scary badass with a heart of gold, y'know? Not really the best type to make first impressions.

Shinyo on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I was thinking that Caleb should lead off with negotiations most of the time. I had no idea I was going to end up making a character that just dominated most initial encounters with his stats.

I'll make a post before bed, though I was waiting on some clarification from robotsunshine. I guess I'll wing it, and add in other stuff later, if we need it. (Such as referring to past Companies that may not have come back from here.)

Also, if there's any special formatting I should be using, let me know, and I'll go back in there and edit it in to keep things neat.

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    Gotcha. I've got a couple of questions before I start posting, then.

Do we know anything about other Companies that were ordered out there? The narration says that several went there - did they all return in one piece, or did some go missing?

Also, we're there to help out and look after the survivors of the winter. But have we been given any mail, news or what-have-you that we're meant to be passing on? Or is that something we make up ourselves?

You know that the Prophets and Ancients of the Faith said, We need some people to go West. You don't know why. The bulk of them are still on the move, and whether or not they have any plan to return is unknown. They're way, way past Fort Lemon, heading for the mid-west and beyond.

The Watson Company is the only company that you guys KNOW was severely fucked up. You can assume more suffered hardships, but these guys got their assess handed to them by the cold. They are the only company that will be relevant to the story.

You are normally in each Branch to pass out mail and news, and all that other stuff, but this isn't a Branch proper - so if you have any mail, it's going to be just a handful for the Watson Company. I don't mind if you guys make up what you have, and in fact, if you don't make up details like that, things'll get a lot slower! So, you have whatever you want to have and whatever you need to have.

robotsunshine on
    edited March 2009
    After reading the IC thread, if I wanted to back up Jacob, I'd roll Acuity + Heart, but would I need to See Shinyo's roll before raising?

...And I just realised, if we're 'Just Talking', I end up with 11d6 and 2d8. That's insane.

Kay2 on