As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A (likely) stupid iMac question

Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great!Houston, TXRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So the new iMacs were just announced earlier this month, and that's really great. However, stupid me decided to purchase one at the end of February, right before the new models came out. I paid $1400 for the 20" 2.66 gHz model with 2 Gigs of RAM, and now that same model sells for $300 less and comes with a larger hard drive and better video card. FIVE DAYS BEFORE THE NEW ONES WERE ANNOUNCED yes I'm pissed sorry.

I think I already know the answer, but I have to ask anyway... do I have any options here? I've tried to just forget about it and pretend it doesn't matter, but it's eating me up inside. I know Apple offered an upgrade policy for their iPhones when the 3G came out, but do they do anything like that for other products? Is there anything I can do here, or shall I just take it up the tailpipe and move on? Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great machine, and under any other circumstances I'd be completely satisfied. However, knowing that I could have waited a couple weeks and got a much better model for the same amount of money is driving me crazy.

To be clear on the purchasing details, we got it at Best Buy as an open-box item (it had never been used, everything was still in the factory packaging and all) at a hundred bucks off for $1400. We made the purchase in-store on February 26th.

Steam | Twitch
Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
Big Dookie on

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Go into Best Buy and explain the situation. Tell them you are unsatisfied with the purchase because a newer, better model has come out for less money.

Best Buy has a low-price guarantee you can reference, saying you would never have bought it knowing a better deal was on the way. That's the exact reason they offer that guarantee--they may refund you the difference.

Also, the same return/exchange policies exist for Open Box items. I'm assuming you're outside your date to return it now.. their computers are what.. 15 days? Call and ask the district manager there just in case.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmm, good idea, I forgot about Best Buy's price match thing. I'll call and see what I can find out. From what I've found on Apple's website, it doesn't sound like I'll be able to get any kind of compensation from Apple, so BB might be my best bet.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Restocking fees for stuff like that would be, what, 15%? If you're still within the return window.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ugh, I called Best Buy, and the return/price-match policy for computers is indeed 15 days, so we're a couple weeks outside the return window. I'm so bummed. Oh well, it was a good thought anyway.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch